Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Olesker's Thread: "You've Got Questions, I've Got Answers"

Master of New Adventures!

10,000 views Milestone

Well, we hit over 10,000 views on this thread so I guess that's a sort of milestone.

I'm happy to see so many fans take an interest in this Q & A thread. I'm delighted and honored to have been a part of it and I hope some of what I've said has been informative or at least thought provoking.

Thanks for letting me be here, everyone.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Well, we hit over 10,000 views on this thread so I guess that's a sort of milestone.

I'm happy to see so many fans take an interest in this Q & A thread. I'm delighted and honored to have been a part of it and I hope some of what I've said has been informative or at least thought provoking.

Thanks for letting me be here, everyone.
    I believe that the thanks belongs to us.

Thank you for choosing to spend your time here, sharing your memories with us and answering our questions.

i too agree that we should also thank you for being here and answering our questions,, thank you
    Eternian Beastmaster

Heroic Warrior
    Mr. Olesker thanks for answering all our questions.

I just want to tell you that as a kid who grew up with old school MOTU, I did intensely enjoy this show along with the toys.

First episode right off the bat, Adam ousts himself to his parents as He-Man . . . FINALLY. It felt like a moment I always wanted to see. Though I'm still curious of the reasoning, is it because since Skeletor left it looked like Eternia would be at peace for the time being?

I also want to say that I loved Skeletor's new personality in the show, and I personally found it a lot more appealing. I just like this more devious, humorous Skeletor. Apparently the voice actor said the Joker was a major inspiration and it makes sense. But basically what I liked about Skeletor in this show is that he felt more like a narrative character. Even watching episodes of the show now, Skeletor is more interesting to me in N/A than in Filmation. This felt like a Skeletor that was a little more aware of himself than say the Filmation, "I will destroy you!" type character. I mean some of that's there, but it's a relevant variation on the character.

But even as a kid I noticed the difference in Skeletor's personality, and I liked it a great deal.

I'm curious since there's been so much discussion about the lost season 2 storyline . . . do you think Crita would've gone along with Skeletor and gotten into it with Evil-Lyn in the cat fight to end all cat fights? Drissi vs. Teela also sounds good . I see no reason for He-Man to settle for just one either. Like saying Keith Richards should be a one woman guy.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

i hope this has not been asked and i missed it,,,,,,
    but why is it he-man didnt have his chest harness in the NA?
    i would have liked to see him in it with the futuristic look.
    Eternian Beastmaster

Widget
    I recently watched the NA on DVD for the first time. While it was actually on, I probably caught one or two episodes, but I was really into Ninja Turtles then.

Anyway, I love Slushhead's personality and his voice. He quickly became one of my favorite characters and seemed to be the comic relief as was Orko. Skeletor started having more of a sense of humor in Classic Season Two, but you took him over the top and that was great. And his plans wasn't as straightforward as in the original series, probably because they wanted one-shot adventures and only had a half-hour for him to hatch a plan. He's more devious. It does looked to me like Skeletor and Crita had something going on between them. Like a love thang.

I don't know why it didn't do so well at the time either. I think the basic formula for both shows were the same. Classic MOTU was more sword and sorcery mixed with science. While NA was more science with sword and sorcery. Anyway, it's a great series as itself. I bought the whole collection of MOTU dvds, Classic and NA. I was about 3 when He-Man first came out and don't remember much about it then. Of course, I don't remember alot of stuff, bits of stuff here and there.

I think I want to be a writer, too. I mean, I have ideas for stories or parodies but have a bit of trouble developing them. I mean, I have ideas for scenes or funny scenes, but I don't know the rest of what I want to happen in them, the beginning, middle, or endings. Plus, I don't write enough. I have plenty of books about writing. I think I'm having trouble with characters and plots and stuff. But I think my real problem is that I'm not sure how to tell stories anymore. I've written stuff in high school and before and a couple since then. So, I shopped on e-bay for a couple books about storytelling. I bought some but they haven't gotten here yet, but soon they will arrive.

Anyway, my question is this: how do you go about creating a series, for tv or comic book series? How much do you want to prepare beforehand before you actually write a story? I'm not sure if I'll ever be published or anything like that, but it would be nice to work on something like that for my own sake. I kind of think if I was going to write a comic book series to actually try to sell, I should have several issues written or prepared in case I'm not able to meet the deadline, in case of writer's block or laziness. I guess my biggest problem is either starting or finishing or both.

I read quite a bit. I collect comic books and haven't read a bunch of them, because I bought a lot from the bargain bin and didn't sit down to read them yet. I read novels, too. I also love to listen to the old time radio shows. One of my favorites is Suspense, which ran for a long time, I think it was 20 years. From 40-something to 60-something and I haven't heard all of the stories yet. I bought mp3 cds and dvds for some radio shows, including Suspense from someone on e-bay, since they are free domain so they said.

Thanks for a great show. The stories were as great as the classic MOTU ones. Sorry for babbling on, hopefully I can do that in my writing, but not so much as babbling as writing a story myself.

Jack Olesker left He-man.org, dude. Shame, but that's what he decided to do.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Widget
    Ooh. That's embarassing. I just joined. Anyway, there's probably nothing stopping him from coming back and checking out the old thread once in a while.

Anybody notice how He-Man and Skeletor seem to be able to breathe and talk, especially grunting (as when He-Man moved the moon back into orbit from the Windraider, boy those Windraiders sure can fly high can't they?) in space? In one episode I seen of She-Ra, she transform her power sword into a breath mask while she's hanging onto Horde Prime's ship out in space. I guess it's all part of the fantasy, isn't it? Different writers?

And the Sword of Power always shot a ray to transform Cringer into Battle Cat. Since it's a magic sword it could have had abilities that Adam hadn't discovered yet in Classic MOTU. So it could obey Adam's commands in NA, is all that I'm saying.

Mr Olesker has returned, I've seen him on here recently. Welcome back Jack.

This is my first post in the NA forum, I've not read through this thread but I figured I'd leave a comment. I wasn't into NA when it aired, I bought 2 figures and saw part of 1 episode, it was just too different for me back then but now as an adult I yearn for NA knowledge. I haven't bought the DVD's because I never have any money and they don't seem to be carried out here but I want them, I'll get them one day.

Like many others, I never got a chance to see the New Adventures of He-Man when it originally aired, but I've picked up both DVD sets, and I want to say that it's a really underrated cartoon in the He-Man mythos.

A lot of complaints center around animation or voices, and it's hard for some people to separate or look past that stuff to what's underneath, but as far as what Jack Olesker did in terms of story, development, characters, and the like, this is a really solid cartoon. And as much as I love the original He-Man cartoon and always will, NA surpasses it in some important ways.

And Darkness, if you want NA knowledge, this thread alone is filled with it. Very good stuff to be found here.

Heroic Warrior
    eric - I think you're absolutely right - it did surpass the original in some important ways. I love it for it's differences, and the mini epics that lasted 3 eps or so were just fantastically done, as were the origin stories of characters (ex. Running of the Herd, that ep was just fantastic start to finish).

I hear ya, Dedd Vinyl.

The continuity is one of my favorite things. It really feels like one giant story, and as you said, the mini-epics were excellent. There were lasting effects from episode to episode with NA. You have to love the consistency it exhibited.

Olesker's plan to take it back to Eternia for the second season would have really been something to see, and I think the fact he didn't get to do it is one of the biggest travesties with NA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedd Vinyl View Post
    eric - I think you're absolutely right - it did surpass the original in some important ways. I love it for it's differences, and the mini epics that lasted 3 eps or so were just fantastically done, as were the origin stories of characters (ex. Running of the Herd, that ep was just fantastic start to finish).
    INDEED!!!
    one of the things this series will always have over the original is character development and change in the series.

there were 5 part epics and characters had obvious changes both personality wise and physically.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Heroic Warrior
    Here's a thought. What about a fan made comic of what we never saw for NA??? what do you guys think??

I like the idea, Dedd, but those always sound like a lot of work to me.

If someone were to do it, I know I'd be happy to read it when it was done.

Co-Creator of the NV
    I love this thread.

I've never watched much of NA (didn't play where I lived when I was growing up) but I have since learned a lot about what it was all about and I love learning more about what was planned directly from the source.

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar
    I Just Finished Watching All 65 Episodes of The New Adventures of He-Man.

I bought all the DVDs. This was my first time watching these episodes because in 1990-1991 I was living in a small lifeless town in the middle of nowhere with no cable. Overall, I did not like this version of He-Man cartoons. I won't be watching this series ever again. The animation reminded me too much of Voltron, Speed Racer, and Astro Boy, and maybe even Pokemon. I didn't like those either. I'm guessing the animators and production company that made the New Adventures of He-Man were the same ones that produced Voltron. Were these produced in France or Japan? I never liked the whole Anime look!

I noticed in some episodes of NA that the lips of some of the characters would continue moving even after they had finished talking. In some cases they would continue talking even if their lips were not moving.

What's with those soldiers with the white helmets that looked like the Storm Troopers from STAR WARS. That really bugged me! What a rip-off! What were their names by the way?

The most annoying things about this cartoon series were those damn scientists and that damn robot: Alcon, Gepal, Maldor, Crecks, Glepe. They could have done without them or portrayed them differently, made them sound like Master Sebrian. Skeletor and most of the other evil warriors were too comical. They just didn't seem evil enough. It seemed like they could be saved and made into good people if they talked to a psychiatrist. Flogg and Slushhead especially. It just seemed like evil wasn't really evil in this series. Skeletor and Flogg laying down on beach chairs?

Teela and The Sorceress didn't look interesting. I liked seeing King Randor and Queen Marlena in the first episode. They looked and sounded great. The last episode was great too. I liked how they ended it without one of those moral lessons at the end. When Skeletor says "I'll be back" it reminded me of the end of the Masters of the Universe movie.

Most of the episodes bored me and almost put me to sleep. Some other episodes I found to be very silly, very un-he-man, although interesting: The Festival of Lights and Fading Star (featuring cowboys), He-Man Mutant, He-Caz, He-Fan, The Bride of Slushhead, Rock to the Future with Hank Rappa (obviously a play on the name of Rock Icon, Frank Zappa). I guess it's okay since this is the future. I liked all the later episodes that featured the Mytes and the Gleanons. They reminded me of the Manchines from A Christmas Special. The Call to the Games let you know that this thing was almost over.

At least this series produced an actual last episode (a series finale) which the other three series' did not.

Are full episodes of the New Adventures of He-Man cartoons being shown anywhere on the internet? There's nothing on YouTube, Joost, HULU or Crackle!
    Last edited by DynastyMasters; February 23, 2010 at 06:22pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks to all

Wow! 15,000 views of a thread in a forum about a series a lot of folks originally loathed and said had nothing to do with the He-man franchise.

Whether you like N/A or dislike it, I'm grateful for the interest and lively interchange with all fans here and all over the board. And, of course, I'm especially grateful to those loyal MOTU fans who gave N/A a second chance when BCI was good enough to release the DVD collection. For those who came to appreciate the series on its own merits, I offer my sincerest thanks. And for those who didn't, I respect your right to your own opinion...even though you're wrong.

Thanks to all for letting me be a part of it. I've gotten a lot out of hanging out with you guys (and gals).

Best,

Jack

Widget

3 galactic guardians from the intro

I have never thought I would be given an opportunity to ask a question to Jack Olesker. It is a great pleasure. Please, if you ever read this i would be grateful for answering

My questions are about 3 Galactic Guardians being Kayo, Nocturna and Vizar. They appear in intro and outro of every episode. It was their image (with Hydron and Flipshot) that I’ve remembered the most from the series. Also my first figures were Nocturna and Vizar.

I remember how excited I was when I saw them in the series – though only in the background but seeing them was very rewarding all the time they appeared.

1) I know that similar question was asked at the very beginning of this thread but I do not understand one thing - If they wasn’t the main Galactic Guardians characters why they were included in intro/outro of the series – seeing that at the beginning I hoped for them to be the main characters. I was truly disappointed that they faded into background as the series went on.

2) I do not recall the episode in which we hear that the martial warrior is Nocturna – was such episode? Is there at least one episode in which he could be seen in action (I am sorry but I do not remember all the episodes) ?

I also apologize for my written English – it isn’t my native language

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bevulf View Post
    2) I do not recall the episode in which we hear that the martial warrior is Nocturna – was such episode? Is there at least one episode in which he could be seen in action (I am sorry but I do not remember all the episodes) ?
    Yes, and it's the final episode, episode 65. Scott McNeil plays him.

Quote Originally Posted by bevulf View Post
    I have never thought I would be given an opportunity to ask a question to Jack Olesker. It is a great pleasure. Please, if you ever read this i would be grateful for answering

My questions are about 3 Galactic Guardians being Kayo, Nocturna and Vizar. They appear in intro and outro of every episode. It was their image (with Hydron and Flipshot) that I’ve remembered the most from the series. Also my first figures were Nocturna and Vizar.

I remember how excited I was when I saw them in the series – though only in the background but seeing them was very rewarding all the time they appeared.

1) I know that similar question was asked at the very beginning of this thread but I do not understand one thing - If they wasn’t the main Galactic Guardians characters why they were included in intro/outro of the series – seeing that at the beginning I hoped for them to be the main characters. I was truly disappointed that they faded into background as the series went on.

I also apologize for my written English – it isn’t my native language
    It's a pleasure to meet you, bevulf. Don't worry about English not being your native tongue. I have trouble enough speaking it myself at times...especially after a couple of shots of Cuervo!

Regarding Kayo, Nocturna and Vizar, they were slated for the second wave of action figures release and I was told by Mattel to spotlight them but not to have them too heavily involved in episodes.

As for Nocturna's being in martial arts action, I confess that my memory on this is vague as I've written about 700 episodes of television since N/A. I have every confidence, however, that Wacky Martin -- with his encyclopedic knowledge of N/A -- will have the answer at the tip of his fingers.

Thank you so very much for being a N/A fan.

Best,

Jack
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 17, 2009 at 07:43pm.

Widget
    It's a pleasure to meet you, bevulf. Don't worry about English not being your native tongue. I have trouble enough speaking it myself at times...especially after a couple of shots of Cuervo!

Regarding Kayo, Nocturna and Vizar, they were slated for the second wave of action figures release and I was told by Mattel to spotlight them but not to have them too heavily involved in episodes.

As for Nocturna's being in martial arts action, I confess that my memory on this is vague as I've written about 700 episodes of television since N/A. I have every confidence, however, that Wacky Martin -- with his encyclopedic knowledge of N/A -- will have the answer at the tip of his fingers.

Thank you so very much for being a N/A fan.

Best,

Jack
    Thank you very much for answering.

I am a great fan of the series altough I am 30 years old I have such great memories from my childhood connected with N/A. Thank you for that.

Best Regards

Mr. Olesker: Pardon my late participation in this thread. I've only just watched the first 5 eps for the first time. If the remaining 60 episodes are going to be as good as the 5-parter, I think it'll be time well spent. What could have been just a phoned-in cookie cutter show is actually some darn good TV, if you ask me. I have some questions if that's all right.
    Okay, I've had the chance to watch The Ultimate Challenge and I'm going to level with you: I'm extremely distressed about the ending of the episode.
    [...]
    I'm going to write to Jean Chalopin and see if he has a copy of the script. (Jean tends to hold onto everything.) If he does I'll have him send it to me and I'll post the ending on the forum.
    1. Did you have any luck getting that script? Again I ask your pardon in being so late to the party -- perhaps you've already addressed this somewhere, but I figured it might be worth asking. "The Ultimate Challenge" was my favorite of the five parts in spite of its bizarre ending, and I'd love to know how it was authored to end before the animation team changed it.
    2. Time travel and travel from Primus to Eternia seem to be treated as if they're interchangeable concepts in "A New Beginning." I understand that Primus is not Eternia, so that's not my question. Did Master Sebrian simply choose or arrange to "bundle" (as it were) a Primus/Eternia round trip along with the time voyage, or does time travel to and from the past somehow entail traveling to and from Eternia as a default?
    3. The Ninja Knights movie you've mentioned earlier in this thread: is it still coming? Any estimated release date you can give us?
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bolty-Neck View Post
    Mr. Olesker: Pardon my late participation in this thread. I've only just watched the first 5 eps for the first time. If the remaining 60 episodes are going to be as good as the 5-parter, I think it'll be time well spent. What could have been just a phoned-in cookie cutter show is actually some darn good TV, if you ask me. I have some questions if that's all right.
    1. Did you have any luck getting that script? Again I ask your pardon in being so late to the party -- perhaps you've already addressed this somewhere, but I figured it might be worth asking. "The Ultimate Challenge" was my favorite of the five parts in spite of its bizarre ending, and I'd love to know how it was authored to end before the animation team changed it.
    2. Time travel and travel from Primus to Eternia seem to be treated as if they're interchangeable concepts in "A New Beginning." I understand that Primus is not Eternia, so that's not my question. Did Master Sebrian simply choose or arrange to "bundle" (as it were) a Primus/Eternia round trip along with the time voyage, or does time travel to and from the past somehow entail traveling to and from Eternia as a default?
    3. The Ninja Knights movie you've mentioned earlier in this thread: is it still coming? Any estimated release date you can give us?
    Excellent queries.

No, I have not been able to get the script. I wrote it a long time ago, in a galaxy far away, and on a Kaypro 10 if that helps to date it. I'm afraid the script, along with my recollections of it, have been lost in the mists of time and amidst the many hundreds of scripts I've written since. Suffice it to say I never would have written such an ending ellipse and that I had no doubt found a logical way to get him from where he was to where he ended up. Quel dommage.

As for your second question, I think it was a one-way ticket that Master Sebrian sent to He-man. But as a hint as for how I would have gotten him back to Eternia let's not discount the Sorceress' considerable powers.

As for NINJA KNIGHTS --a project that will always be near and dear to my heart -- first thanks for asking. Regrettably, after almost a year of my directing it the project fell on hard times as a result of the global meltdown. As anyone in the entertainment industry will attest, these things do happen and they come with the territory. However, just last week it appears to be unexpectedly surging back to life. I do hope it rises, especially since I've also written a 536-page novel based upon it.

Stay tuned.

Best,

Jack

Heroic Warrior
    I certainly hope Ninja Nights gets to be released - with any luck the new Ninja Assassin movie will give all things Ninja a nice kick in the pants, popualrity wise, I mean...It's already happened in drugstores around here, in Boston. I'm seeing all kinds of stuff come out of the woodwork.