Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Olesker's Thread: "You've Got Questions, I've Got Answers"

Hey Jack!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I was just watching my NA DVD and ran across the episode "Adam's Adventure", which I remember as a child watching, and when Skeletor uses the brain-wave detector to search for He-Man, Adam is with his fellow Galactic Guardians, but does Skeletor not remember Adam from Eternia and automatically think, "Adam is He-Man" seeing as he is the only Eternian on Primus? Skeletor surely must have selective memory from the warp to Primus, right?
    Good Journey!

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I note your location as Cheshire? Is that as in Cheshire, England. England is one of my top four favourite (I threw the 'u' in favorite in the event that you are in England) countries in the world and the north west of England is a very special place, imo.
    That's where I'm from. Pop over for a drink next time you're here
    Aidan Cross- Official Website
    The Bacillus- my band's official website
    Excavating the 80s- my blog on unsung bands of the 80s

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor View Post
    That's where I'm from. Pop over for a drink next time you're here
    That's not far away from me! We need an Olesker Meet-Up!!
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    That's not far away from me! We need an Olesker Meet-Up!!
    Done! Kim and I will be in Cannes for a television convention in April, then we'll do the UK for a week or two afterwards. We'll arrange the meet-up. Smithwick's are on me.

Skel, I know I still need to answer your post. Just wrapping up a project now. Will get to you.

Evil Clone...in SPACE!! DarthFaker's Avatar
    Hi Jack. A couple things here. First off, I want to thank you so much for the entire NA series. Like many on here, I wasn't a big fan of it as a kid, but sought it out a couple years ago as I was joining the fan community here. I'm actually starting on my 3rd trip through the entire series (I haven't even finished a full go-round on the filmation series at this point), and love the show. My first question is: What do you think of the 3 NA characters we've seen revealed in MOTUC so far (Optikk and Icarius/Flipshot being released and Slushhead coming next spring)? Also, if we were to get only 3 more NA figures in MOTUC, who would you like to see representing NA?

Quote Originally Posted by whbinder View Post
    (awesome commercial, BTW)

I've seen mention before of Man-at-War's coup, and always with the caveat that it was well intentioned. I'd love to know more about the motivations for Duncan and the cause of his rift with the magical ladies.
    I would have seen the scenario unwinding as a result of a covert but aggressive move by a major power -- either internally on Eternia or externally, from another planet. There would be skepticism about this and resistance to arm from Randor and Marlena, along with support from The Sorceress who promised peace. MAA would first respectfully lobby for forceful resistance, reminding that The Sorceress has not said the move to peace would be one wihtout bumps along the way.

In the face of insistent pacifism by Randor and Marlena and unqualified belief in The Sorceress' prediction of peace, King and Queen unintentionally weaken the Eternia's ability to resist aggression. Even when Duncan uncovers a plot by their adversaries, Randor and Marlena cling to their pacifism, believing in The Sorceress and drawing further comfort (and false confidence) from Skeletor's absence.

Seeing impending doom for the planet and Randor and Marlena's refusal to gear up for resistance, MAA feels he has no other choice but to perform a coup and save his planet. ('His planet' is intentionally self-centered and a reflection of how Duncan may become slightly corrupt through his subconscious and long and well repressed thirst for power, having lived in others' shadows for so long, thus now referring to Eternia as 'my planet'.)

There were alternative possibilities -- Marlena and Randor falling under mind control or aliens either possessing them or putting duplicates in their place to create the pacifism. But the first scenario seemed to work for me.

Heroic Warrior
    I would have seen the scenario unwinding as a result of a covert but aggressive move by a major power -- either internally on Eternia or externally, from another planet. There would be skepticism about this and resistance to arm from Randor and Marlena, along with support from The Sorceress who promised peace. MAA would first respectfully lobby for forceful resistance, reminding that The Sorceress has not said the move to peace would be one wihtout bumps along the way.

In the face of insistent pacifism by Randor and Marlena and unqualified belief in The Sorceress' prediction of peace, King and Queen unintentionally weaken the Eternia's ability to resist aggression. Even when Duncan uncovers a plot by their adversaries, Randor and Marlena cling to their pacifism, believing in The Sorceress and drawing further comfort (and false confidence) from Skeletor's absence.

Seeing impending doom for the planet and Randor and Marlena's refusal to gear up for resistance, MAA feels he has no other choice but to perform a coup and save his planet. ('His planet' is intentionally self-centered and a reflection of how Duncan may become slightly corrupt through his subconscious and long and well repressed thirst for power, having lived in others' shadows for so long, thus now referring to Eternia as 'my planet'.)

There were alternative possibilities -- Marlena and Randor falling under mind control or aliens either possessing them or putting duplicates in their place to create the pacifism. But the first scenario seemed to work for me.
    I think your alternate possibilities would make more sense, as Randor and Marlena were always ready to fight if circumstances deemed it so. But, whatever their motivation for total pacifism was, Duncan would be ready to fight to protect Eternia. Although, I don't think he'd perform a coup of his own volition; I think he'd be under an evil force's control.

Quote Originally Posted by vancak View Post
    I think your alternate possibilities would make more sense, as Randor and Marlena were always ready to fight if circumstances deemed it so. But, whatever their motivation for total pacifism was, Duncan would be ready to fight to protect Eternia. Although, I don't think he'd perform a coup of his own volition; I think he'd be under an evil force's control.
    You make excellent points. However, there is a great respect for The Sorceress (once even referred to as The Goddess) -- remember it was she who gave Peruce Adam his strength -- and when she said there will be peace everlasting (I paraphrase) Randor and Marlena may have been compelled to take her at her word to such an extent as to feel not to believe in this would be heretical.

Duncan's coup, in my book, would have been validated by the fact that he places the welfare of Eternia above all else. If he saw something as a true threat to the planet, then he would place the welfare of the planet above, even Randor and Marlena, I believe.

On the other hand, the reason for Duncan's motivation was at an embryonic state of development inb the story spine and that's why I had alternative explanations to be considered and explored...jsut as we're doing here, yet sadly (at least for me) without the realization of a series to produce.

Heroic Warrior
    You make excellent points. However, there is a great respect for The Sorceress (once even referred to as The Goddess) -- remember it was she who gave Peruce Adam his strength -- and when she said there will be peace everlasting (I paraphrase) Randor and Marlena may have been compelled to take her at her word to such an extent as to feel not to believe in this would be heretical.

Duncan's coup, in my book, would have been validated by the fact that he places the welfare of Eternia above all else. If he saw something as a true threat to the planet, then he would place the welfare of the planet above, even Randor and Marlena, I believe.

On the other hand, the reason for Duncan's motivation was at an embryonic state of development inb the story spine and that's why I had alternative explanations to be considered and explored...jsut as we're doing here, yet sadly (at least for me) without the realization of a series to produce.
    I haven't watched that episode in a while, but did she give a timeframe as to when the peace would come? Did she say that as He-Man was going to the future, that the everlasting peace would come right away? I can't remember the Sorceress ever being wrong in one of her prophecies, so I could see where Randor and Marlena would hold fast to it. I just think that they would still be ready for action whenever trouble came. It's the old: To have peace, you must prepare for war thing.

I would have seen the scenario unwinding as a result of a covert but aggressive move by a major power -- either internally on Eternia or externally, from
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    Thanks, this leads to a follow-up question, how much of the backstories was left to your drawer? Do you have any background details you wanted to use but never got a chance that you remember?
    This is (thank you) an easy one to answer. Like Rocky Balboa in the first Rocky film, I threw everything into that first season -- my heart, my soul and many, many eighteen-hour a day stints writing and creating the series bible and thirty-seven episodes. Only those who have actually worked on a series can comprehend and appreciate the amount of effort and spirit one puts into such an endeavor.

That the NA series was not the success I hoped for is the single hole in my heart over a career that spans three decades and the more than twelve hundred episodes of television that I've written. But that many fans have been kind enough to give the series a second chance through viewing the BCI collection and participating in this forum -- and that some have even come around to accepting the series as a free standing, quality 'adventure' -- brings me a degree of comfort and satisfaction at this late date and is, as this Thanksgiving holiday approaches, a reason, indeed -- along with the pleasure I derive from fan interaction on he-man.org -- for me to be thankful.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 23, 2011 at 04:10pm.

How long did it usually take the animators to get the shows back to you from the time you submitted the scripts/boards/dope/etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    How long did it usually take the animators to get the shows back to you from the time you submitted the scripts/boards/dope/etc?
    Between five and seven months.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 30, 2011 at 09:09pm.

where can i see the episode duncans coup?, i have the first volume of season 1 released by of the er boxset, 1 thru 33. this sounds like a good episode, i havent finisshed the boxset, is it one of those? or in volume 2?

Quote Originally Posted by kelddorr View Post
    where can i see the episode duncans coup?, i have the first volume of season 1 released by of the er boxset, 1 thru 33. this sounds like a good episode, i havent finisshed the boxset, is it one of those? or in volume 2?
    It doesn't exist. It's what I had planned had we had a second season.

Note: From time to time I've had a few orgers pm me asking why I don't reply to their queries more quickly. The reason is that once I make a post the rules of the board are that I cannot post again until there's a post from someone else in there. I think it's called back-to-back posting. And yes, I realize I could answer multiple questions in one post but I like to give all my attention to one query at a time. I confess, too, that my time is limited, but I try to do the bet I can with answering in a timely manner.

Best,

Jack
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; December 1, 2011 at 12:33am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by kelddorr View Post
    Jack's talking about an idea for an unmade second season of the show that was never made.

Hello Mr. Olesker ,

I'd like to ask a quick question, if I may. Was it ever revealed why Skeletor seemed deathly afraid of Remlin from The New Wizard in Town? The description on the DVDs implies that a connection would be revealed that answers this question, but I never saw a definitive answer. Maybe I overlooked it somehow, and if so I apologize.

I guess you can call me one of those individuals who never gave The New Adventures of He-Man a fair shake when I was younger. I remember when it first aired on weekday afternoons, and after I saw the first episode I practically gave up on it due to drastic differences already mentioned here in this thread and others. I remember even getting the first NA He-Man figure for Christmas back in 89, and while I thought it was cool, it obviously didn't fit in with the figures from the vintage MOTU line so I didn't play with it as much. Anyway, being an adult with an open mind now that I'm older, I appreciate and rather enjoy this series more than I thought it would. The differences that irked me when I was a kid really are an afterthought now, from my perspective. I confess, Gleep is my favorite character, and if there had been a second season I'd have been interested to see Gleep and Orko interact (provided Gleep would have joined He-Man in his trek back to Eternia, that is). That being said, I just wanted to say thanks for your input, interaction, and feedback here, and have a great day !

Regards,
    Victor P.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    Hello Mr. Olesker ,

I'd like to ask a quick question, if I may. Was it ever revealed why Skeletor seemed deathly afraid of Remlin from The New Wizard in Town? The description on the DVDs implies that a connection would be revealed that answers this question, but I never saw a definitive answer. Maybe I overlooked it somehow, and if so I apologize.
    It's been a while, but I actually wrote that description as well as all the episode description and character profiles on the DVDs. Without having watched the episode in a while and not recalling too much, I think Remlin, whose name is obviously an anagram of Merlin, had an understated "I shall return!" moment and Skeletor definitely claimed knowledge of him, but I think it wasn't a guarantee that we'd find out. Shame, but nothing unrecoverable from.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagar View Post
    It's been a while, but I actually wrote that description as well as all the episode description and character profiles on the DVDs. Without having watched the episode in a while and not recalling too much, I think Remlin, whose name is obviously an anagram of Merlin, had an understated "I shall return!" moment and Skeletor definitely claimed knowledge of him, but I think it wasn't a guarantee that we'd find out. Shame, but nothing unrecoverable from.
    Spot on.

Merlin.

'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagar View Post
    Thanks for the info ! I don't peruse this section of the forums very often obviously, so I had no idea you wrote the descriptions and profiles. Just for NA alone or for the entire MOTU BCI sets?

Regards,
    Victor P.

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks for the confirmation, Jack, it only just came to me as I was writing that response that Remlin was an anagram.

Victor, it's been a while, but I was responsible for writing a lot of the material on The New Adventures of He-Man, most of it for Dungeons & Dragons and half of it for Defenders of the Earth. I might've contributed bits and pieces to some other sets as well, but it's mostly lost to me. I've probably got the original documents somewhere.

I to have just given the NA series a chance, as I didn't really care for it when it first came out, I just thought it was to drastic of a change at the time and my little child brain couldn't handle it. I still don't like the designs of He Man and Skeletor but I have become use to them and I know you didn't have anything to do with that aspect. But I thought it was a pretty darn good series and season two sounds like it would of been as cool as season 3 of the MYP series. Thanks for bring NA He man to life.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyman View Post
    I to have just given the NA series a chance, as I didn't really care for it when it first came out, I just thought it was to drastic of a change at the time and my little child brain couldn't handle it. I still don't like the designs of He Man and Skeletor but I have become use to them and I know you didn't have anything to do with that aspect. But I thought it was a pretty darn good series and season two sounds like it would of been as cool as season 3 of the MYP series. Thanks for bring NA He man to life.
    Thank you for that, mossyman.

Well, as most on this forum know, every time my thread hits another 10,000 views I take a few moments to reflect. It's no different now that we're at 30,000 views, except that this year it comes as an early Christmas present to me. Thanks to all of you for making it happen.

As I've said many times in the past, it's a joy for me to be here on he-man.org and to be a part of the great fan interaction. I'm thankful to many, like mossyman, who have given NA a second shot and to the many who have come to accept the series as a different adventure for our big guy. To those who just aren't able to come to like it, well, I get it and I respect it. I take the fact that some just can't accept NA as a demonstration of the devotion of MOTU fans.

I appreciate the sincere and well-thought out criticisms and many are right on target. That said, I can tell you that everyone that worked on NA gave it our all. We succeeded in some ways and in others we did not. That's life. But we who worked on NA take pride in knowing we did our absolute best and hopefully entertained viewers with a positive, life-affirming series.

I do try to answer all criticisms, defending when I feel the need and accepting and learning from those critical fans that make a good point.

All in all, this writer feels much warmth toward the orgers -- toward all orgers -- because writing is largely a solitary existence and having camaraderie such as is found here is a rare gift that very few writers enjoy. I'm thankful for that gift, especially at Christmastime, but truly every single day of the year.

May the blessings of the Holiday Season be upon all of you and may you all enjoy health, happiness and prosperity in the coming year.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; December 13, 2011 at 01:44pm.

the one thing I can not forgive you on is not having Moss Man show up on Primus lol

Just kidding! Moss Man was not really that cool in the filmation series anyway

Quote Originally Posted by MOTUFan1985 View Post
    Hey Jack!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I was just watching my NA DVD and ran across the episode "Adam's Adventure", which I remember as a child watching, and when Skeletor uses the brain-wave detector to search for He-Man, Adam is with his fellow Galactic Guardians, but does Skeletor not remember Adam from Eternia and automatically think, "Adam is He-Man" seeing as he is the only Eternian on Primus? Skeletor surely must have selective memory from the warp to Primus, right?
    Yeah! That's it! A selective memory warp!

Actually this has been pointed out in the past and it's definitely one of the flaws in the series.