Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Olesker's Thread: "You've Got Questions, I've Got Answers"

Hi this is my first question so be gentle
    I have two trapjaw figures one from Malaysia and one from France, the French one hasn't aged well which would be the most sought after and were certain countries figures less robust than others, thanks in advance sorry if this has been asked before thanks
    Last edited by Circa77; March 12, 2017 at 05:43am.

Master of New Adventures!
    Thanks for the question, Circa77. For the record, I'm always gentle...except when I'm in the secret he-man.org area known as The Tar Swamp.

As for your question, I regret I can't answer it because I'm not a collector. I'm quite sure, however, that one of the many orgers who are collectors will be happy to step up to the plate and give you the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa77 View Post
    Hi this is my first question so be gentle
    I have two trapjaw figures one from Malaysia and one from France, the French one hasn't aged well which would be the most sought after and were certain countries figures less robust than others, thanks in advance sorry if this has been asked before thanks

Heroic Warrior
    I asked this question in another thread and got crickets so I'll ask here: When did the name Oo-Larr first appear? I know it's the name of the original He-Man but where did it come from? The name isn't mentioned in the original mini comics.

Totally Dyslexic
    Mr. Olesker i have a question but actually itīs more of an idea.

Sadly Critas action figure (to be able to say that makes happy on itīs own ) came with no bio. She, like the others who didnīt come with their own bio, deserve a bio if you ask me.
    Wouldnīt it be great to get a sticker sheet from Super7 similar to the extra fraction stickers which came with later figures? So we get an official bio and the people who want to put in on the back of the card can do so and the others just have the bios?!

And maybe you could write her bio?

That would be amazing!
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

First, Niki, it's 'Jack'. There's only one Mr. Olesker and he's up above, looking down. Well, at least I hope he's up above, looking down. He was a very tough businessman, so there's always a chance he's down below, looking up.

As for my writing Crita's bio, I'd be open to doing it -- as I would be open to doing just about anything for fandom -- if Super7 would want me to. That said, I admit I would have to use considerable restraint so her bio manages to be PG as opposed to the R or X I know it to be. Hey, she's a gal with a whip and thigh-high leather boots. What do you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Mr. Olesker i have a question but actually itīs more of an idea.

Sadly Critas action figure (to be able to say that makes happy on itīs own ) came with no bio. She, like the others who didnīt come with their own bio, deserve a bio if you ask me.
    Wouldnīt it be great to get a sticker sheet from Super7 similar to the extra fraction stickers which came with later figures? So we get an official bio and the people who want to put in on the back of the card can do so and the others just have the bios?!

And maybe you could write her bio?

That would be amazing!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 2, 2017 at 11:26am.

Did you have much say over the looks of the characters that weren't based off toy designs like Crita, the scientists, Drissi, Caz, or Master Sebrian? Or was character design pretty much left up to the animation studio?

I'd be remiss if I didn't observe the 200,000 views milestone. I have to say I never in a million years thought this would happen when I started this thread. I also have to say thank you to everyone who viewed, everyone who offered civil criticism, everyone who gave NA another chance through the BCI collection and everyone who gave much appreciated praise. And, of course, a huge thanks to BCI for releasing the NA DVD collection.

Thank you...indeed.

Heroic Warrior
    Thank you for that which you have done.

Thank you for sticking around.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I'd be remiss if I didn't observe the 200,000 views milestone. I have to say I never in a million years thought this would happen when I started this thread. I also have to say thank you to everyone who viewed, everyone who offered civil criticism, everyone who gave NA another chance through the BCI collection and everyone who gave much appreciated praise. And, of course, a huge thanks to BCI for releasing the NA DVD collection.

Thank you...indeed.

I did have input on the designs of the characters I created, particularly Drissi and Master Serbian.

Drissi was based on my ex-wife.

"That relationship was not entirely...successful."

Count Dracula, BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Did you have much say over the looks of the characters that weren't based off toy designs like Crita, the scientists, Drissi, Caz, or Master Sebrian? Or was character design pretty much left up to the animation studio?

Widget
    That alien planet Julie and Kevin were from.
    Hi Mr. Olesker!

Just wanted to pop in and say that, while I don't really remember NA all that much (I've forgotten most of Filmation too, so it's just the passage of time), I definitely remember being very happy about the cartoon when it first came out. I remember enjoying it and being so happy that there were brand new adventures of my favorite hero. I've got at least five toys from that toyline as well (which was a lot for me then), so I know you sold something!

I was definitely shocked to discover the negativity about the series when I first started lurking here (no later than the 2002 cartoon), but it's great that the Classics toyline has helped to bring back fans and even create new ones. The BCI dvds no doubt helped too. I did not hesitate to buy the dvds when they came out, but unfortunately, there's just too much stuff for me to catch up on while I also juggle everything in life. But I will get to it!

If I had to identify two things that I personally found most problematic about the NA project, I'd say that the art style was way too different to feel connected to the original series and the figures (especially He-Man) were way too lean to feel like He-Man toys. But both of those things were out of your hands.

Finally, I'd like to ask (since I don't think I've come across the question): at the time you were brainstorming season 2, did you ever think about what might go into a season 3? I might post a thread about this, but the reason I ask is because I always saw NA and the 1987 movie (did you ever see it?) as part of Filmation continuity, and I want to know in what order those events should occur in my headcanon.
    Want to Buy: Power-Con 2017 Earl Norem print set (the first MOTU item to bring me out of lurkdom!)

Thank you for that TxCAGE. I'm happy NA played a small part of your love for MOTU.

I understand the anger at the time it was released. I think Mattel -- who I have great respect for -- made an error in not preparing fans for it. It's true that it was before the cyber-age, but they could have done on-air promos to prepare fans for it. At the time the transition was just too jarring.

I cover a lot of that in the podcast in which I was interviewed about NA. I'm not sure if you've heard it, so here's link:

http://masterscast.com/?p=46

Yes, I saw the MOTU film and frankly I enjoyed it.

No, I never thought about Season 3. Not getting Season 2 was disappointing enough. That said, it's worth noting that for traditional Saturday morning animated series a 'season' is thirteen episodes, so since we produced 65 episodes of NA there is a case to be made that we had five seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by TxCAGE View Post
    Hi Mr. Olesker!

Just wanted to pop in and say that, while I don't really remember NA all that much (I've forgotten most of Filmation too, so it's just the passage of time), I definitely remember being very happy about the cartoon when it first came out. I remember enjoying it and being so happy that there were brand new adventures of my favorite hero. I've got at least five toys from that toyline as well (which was a lot for me then), so I know you sold something!

I was definitely shocked to discover the negativity about the series when I first started lurking here (no later than the 2002 cartoon), but it's great that the Classics toyline has helped to bring back fans and even create new ones. The BCI dvds no doubt helped too. I did not hesitate to buy the dvds when they came out, but unfortunately, there's just too much stuff for me to catch up on while I also juggle everything in life. But I will get to it!

If I had to identify two things that I personally found most problematic about the NA project, I'd say that the art style was way too different to feel connected to the original series and the figures (especially He-Man) were way too lean to feel like He-Man toys. But both of those things were out of your hands.

Finally, I'd like to ask (since I don't think I've come across the question): at the time you were brainstorming season 2, did you ever think about what might go into a season 3? I might post a thread about this, but the reason I ask is because I always saw NA and the 1987 movie (did you ever see it?) as part of Filmation continuity, and I want to know in what order those events should occur in my headcanon.

Hello Jack,
    I have very good memories of He-Man's New Adventures. The only gripe I had with it at the time was the inconsistency between the cartoon canon and the toys canon, especially in France, where I grew up. Here, we knew He-Man as "Musclor", and I remember the new He-Man figure was first advertised as "the heir to Musclor". So, to me (I was around 10), "Musclor" and "He-Man" were two different characters! There was also an audio tape released with the figure, and according to the story it telled, Musclor followed Skeletor through a space portal after an apocalyptic battle, and he was forever transformed into a “new” character called "He-Man". Very confusing! Still, I loved the toys AND the cartoon. I think that legendary French producer Jean Chalopin worked on it as well? It's a name I was used to see on the credits of virtually every animated TV show at the time. Did you get to work with him, and how did it fare?
    What doesn’t kill me makes me froggier.

Was She-ra going to appear at all in season 2?

"Legendary" indeed.

Jean's company, Jetlag, produced NA. Moreover, Jean is my closest friend in the entertainment industry. We correspond frequently, although he is no longer in the industry.

We met because we both lived in the same condo complex in Studio City, California. He knew I was a novelist and he wanted writers who could write scripts for animated series. While there were exceptions like Flintstone and Jetsons, dialog for the majority of animated series in those days were a few lines here and there written by artists. Jean was one of the first producers to create fully realized stories written by professional scriptwriters. In this he was a trailblazer and much of the Golden Age of Animation owes a huge debt to him.

He hired me on initially 1983 to be an Assistant Story Editor for Care Bears. Inside of a month I was the Story Editor and rose to being Senior Story Editor before I left to go independent. I cannot calculate how many episodes of television I wrote for him.

Prior to my working on NA I worked with Haim Saban and created the original development work and series bible for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Along with Andy Heyward, Jean and Haim were my early mentors in television, both in the creative and business sides. They introduced me to and facilitated my work with Mattel, Hasbro, American Greetings, Lego, Bandai and many other toy companies. I owe them more than I can put into words. Of the more than 1,200 episodes of television I have written, along with series I have created and my ten produced movie scripts, the bulk of them was for and with these three gentlemen. I was blessed to have known them...and am equally blessed -- having traded emails with, in addition to Jean, both Andy and Haim earlier this month -- to be able to call them my friends more than three decades later.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyZarkov View Post
    Hello Jack,
    I have very good memories of He-Man's New Adventures. The only gripe I had with it at the time was the inconsistency between the cartoon canon and the toys canon, especially in France, where I grew up. Here, we knew He-Man as "Musclor", and I remember the new He-Man figure was first advertised as "the heir to Musclor". So, to me (I was around 10), "Musclor" and "He-Man" were two different characters! There was also an audio tape released with the figure, and according to the story it telled, Musclor followed Skeletor through a space portal after an apocalyptic battle, and he was forever transformed into a “new” character called "He-Man". Very confusing! Still, I loved the toys AND the cartoon. I think that legendary French producer Jean Chalopin worked on it as well? It's a name I was used to see on the credits of virtually every animated TV show at the time. Did you get to work with him, and how did it fare?
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; May 13, 2017 at 06:06pm.

Thank you for your extensive answer! I'm glad you're still friends after all these years

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    "Legendary" indeed.

Jean's company, Jetlag, produced NA. Moreover, Jean is my closest friend in the entertainment industry. We correspond frequently, although he is no longer in the industry.

We met because we both lived in the same condo complex in Studio City, California. He knew I was a novelist and he wanted writers who could write scripts for animated series. While there were exceptions like Flintstone and Jetsons, dialog for the majority of animated series in those days were a few lines here and there written by artists. Jean was one of the first producers to create fully realized stories written by professional scriptwriters. In this he was a trailblazer and much of the Golden Age of Animation owes a huge debt to him.

He hired me on initially 1983 to be an Assistant Story Editor for Care Bears. Inside of a month I was the Story Editor and rose to being Senior Story Editor before I left to go independent. I cannot calculate how many episodes of television I wrote for him.

Prior to my working on NA I worked with Haim Saban and created the original development work and series bible for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Along with Andy Heyward, Jean and Haim were my early mentors in television, both in the creative and business sides. They introduced me to and facilitated my work with Mattel, Hasbro, American Greetings, Lego, Bandai and many other toy companies. I owe them more than I can put into words. Of the more than 1,200 episodes of television I have written, along with series I have created and my ten produced movie scripts, the bulk of them was for and with these three gentlemen. I was blessed to have known them...and am equally blessed -- having traded emails with, in addition to Jean, both Andy and Haim earlier this month -- to be able to call them my friends more than three decades later.
    What doesn’t kill me makes me froggier.

edited, wrong thread.
    Last edited by ninn; May 18, 2017 at 05:27am.