Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Olesker's Thread: "You've Got Questions, I've Got Answers"

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Here are a couple threads about the NA Bible (but don't actually contain the bible itself):
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ighlight=Bible
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ighlight=bible
    Thanks for that, Firefly. But I do recollect that someone once posted it because I had a look at it. I can't recall if it was actually mine or an earlier draft from Mattel. Sadly, some things are lost to the ages. What I do remember was that at around 95 pages it was one of the longest Series Bibles I ever wrote.

If this has been asked before, I do apologise; from a personality perspective, which of the villains and heros are your favourite and least favourite characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    If this has been asked before, I do apologise; from a personality perspective, which of the villains and heros are your favourite and least favourite characters?
    Great question, and no, it hasn't been asked before so thnak you for asking it.

Well, unquestionably my favorite villain is Skelly. I know a lot of fans initially objected to my giving him a humorous side in NA, but I personally enjoyed it and since the release of the BCI collection I believe time has somewhat softened that feeling of anger on the part of some fans. Inserting bit of playful Jack Nicholson into him was a lot of fun for me and I think showed growth in his character. I also liked the fact that he has to hide his true ambitions a little because he was outnumbered by all of the mutants. I took my lead from I, Claudius there.

Coming in a close second among the villains is my much put-upon Slushhead. He's just so lovable and I think a lot of NA fans felt the same way. I've got a feeling Chum Lee from Pawn Stars might have watched some episode.

And finally, among my favorite of the villains, it has to come as no surprise that my beloved Crita is right up there. I love strong, self-confident women, which is why I've been married for twenty years to an Irish gal that epitomizes that. Nothing, I think, is more sexy than a confident woman and Crita scores an A+ in that category. I had so much fun writing for her devious nature, playing Flogg and Skeletor against each other!

There really weren't any villains that I didn't like but that's probably because I love writing for villains so I put a lot into them. Great villains are, of course, what make heroes heroic.

As for NA's heroes, Sebrian is a personal favorite. Yes, I know he wasn't in the action scenes, but he was based upon one of my early mentors and it was a joy, in my mind, to pay homage to him -- wise, inspiring and diplomatic.

He-man, of course, has to rank up there and I enjoyed the fact that he had to rely on his brains as much as his brawn in NA. That said, for me he was a work-in-progress and I really anticipated his becoming fully developed -- with a merging of brains and brawn -- when I planned on having him return to Eternia in Season Two to find MAA had forged a successful coup and toppled the triumvirate of The Sorceress, She-ra and Teela and had imprisoned Adam's parents.

I liked Mara, again because I like strong, confident women. And I looked forward to her returning to Eternia with He-man in Season Two to create romantic complications for him.

As an aside, it is one of the deep holes in my heart and long career that we didn't get that Season Two in which we could return to Eternia. I wish Mattel had told the fans that He-man's time on Primus was just a temporary adventure and that he would return to Primus. I think it would have been wonderful to have had him return with some of his new friends and enemies and put them together with his old friends and enemies on Eternia. Alas, it was not meant to be.

As for my least favorite heroes, that's an easy one. If I was friends with Superman and I had pixie dust and a magic wand at my command, I'd have Superman fly me backwards around the world at past light speed, go back in time, sprinkle my pixie dust on those abominable scientists, wave my magic wand and make it that they never existed in the series or, at the very least, given them different voices.

It is said that the master carpet weavers of ancient Persia would purposely place a flaw in their creations to prove they, themselves, were not the equal of God. This is my lame excuse when it comes to the scientists.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; October 15, 2017 at 02:51pm.

Heh, unsurprising to see the scientists on your least fave list, I try to skip ahead when they appear whilst watching the DVDs, especially when they start one of their arguments, like the naming of the 'Goo'. But over the years, I've begun to see them as something as a necessary evil, especially given the high technological aspect of the series... still, doesn't make them less annoying

What you said about NA He-Man, was one of my fave elements of He-Man, that he used his intelligence to solve the problems that he encountered, not merely punching the screen every 2 minutes, something I believe was a much better message to promote to young viewers. The action was cool of course, the dynamic Anime-esque style action really lit things up!

Season 2 sounds like it would have been as awesome, shame we will never get to see what it would have brought to the shows dynamics.
    Last edited by Zentron; October 15, 2017 at 06:52pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Heh, unsurprising to see the scientists on your least fave list, I try to skip ahead when they appear whilst watching the DVDs, especially when they start one of their arguments, like the naming of the 'Goo'. But over the years, I've begun to see them as something as a necessary evil, especially given the high technological aspect of the series... still, doesn't make them less annoying https://www.imageupload.co.uk/images.../12/nawink.gif

What you said about NA He-Man, was one of my fave elements of He-Man, that he used his intelligence to solve the problems that he encountered, not merely punching the screen every 2 minutes, something I believe was a much better message to promote to young viewers. The action was cool of course, the dynamic Anime-esque style action really lit things up!

Season 2 sounds like it would have been as awesome, shame we will never get to see what it would have brought to the shows dynamics.
    Thanks for all of that, my good friend.

It's interesting that a few fans have actually come, over many years, to like the scientists. I suppose if Dustin Hoffman could eventually get used to Devil's Island then some people can get used to anything. As for me, I till wish I had Superman and that pixie dust and magic wand.

And now I'm off to Five Guys with my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    As for my least favorite heroes, that's an easy one. If I was friends with Superman and I had pixie dust and a magic wand at my command, I'd have Superman fly me backwards around the world at past light speed, go back in time, sprinkle my pixie dust on those abominable scientists, wave my magic wand and make it that they never existed in the series or, at the very least, given them different voices.

It is said that the master carpet weavers of ancient Persia would purposely place a flaw in their creations to prove they, themselves, were not the equal of God. This is my lame excuse when it comes to the scientists.
    If I may follow up on this, Jack, can I ask more specifically about the creation of the scientists? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that they were meant to be the comic relief and as such were supposed to be the sort of characters that are annoying for our heroes - maybe along the lines of Orko in the Filmation series. Were they entirely your creation, or were they part of a mandate handed down when you were drawing up the series?

Oh, and perhaps a more important question - how was Five Guys?
    Last edited by OwenMorton; October 16, 2017 at 10:11am.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenMorton View Post
    If I may follow up on this, Jack, can I ask more specifically about the creation of the scientists? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that they were meant to be the comic relief and as such were supposed to be the sort of characters that are annoying for our heroes - maybe along the lines of Orko in the Filmation series. Were they entirely your creation, or were they part of a mandate handed down when you were drawing up the series?

Oh, and perhaps a more important question - how was Five Guys?
    As for the scientists, yes, they were intended to be comic relief. In retrospect they were completely unnecessary. The litmus test about the necessity of a character in a series is whether or not the series could stand unaffected without them. Clearly NA could have stood -- and likely been better -- without them. Even worse, having to service them in episodes took away valuable running time from episodes that could have been better spent on other characters and plot development.

It was so long ago that I created NA that I honestly don't recall if the scientists were a mandate from Mattel or of my own creation but I lean toward thinking they were my creation because they were not a part of the prototypes Mattel presented to me and they never had action figures made. That was the case with all of my original character creations, so I think they must have been my creation, in which case mea culpa.

As for your question about how Five Guys was, well, you're asking a question you already know the answer to.

Thank you Jack. It's always great to hear your thoughts and memories of your time with NA, and to see how much love you still have for the series.

And glad Five Guys was as good as always!!