Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Olesker's Thread: "You've Got Questions, I've Got Answers"

Besides, Time Travel is a horribly inexact science!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Master of New Adventures!

A big thank you at 20,000

Well, as many who know me already know, I'm big on milestones. So I'm afraid you'll just have to endure this one post.

I'm amazed and humbled and grateful to see my thread pass the 20,000 views mark. Imo, we've had a lot of fun together, exchanged stimulating ideas, explored NA and had a few laughs along the way -- for me that's good because it's how I try to live my life.

I never expected everyone to like NA, but I will say it's been wonderful to see almost everyone being respectful with their criticisms -- and I've learned from some of those criticisms. Wonderful, too, is to see others who gave NA a second chance and eventually came to appreciate it.

So let me just take a moment at this milestone to thank you all for your interest, for the back-and-forth and for your thoughtful comments. The org is one of the great pleasures of my life...and all of you are the reason.

Thanks, all.

Best,

Jack

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Hey Jack, I have some questions I think haven't been asked before...or maybe they have, we'll see.

1) NA gets a lot of grief from fans over the years, but what do you think is the best thing about NA?

2) What part of your work on NA are you most proud of (ex. a storyline, character development, a funny joke, etc.)?

3) If Mattel decided to have another go with a New Adventures cartoon (and you were working on it with complete freedom), how would you like to see it done? Primus being another planet in the same time/Galaxy as Eternia and his friends can join in on the action, still in the future and returns home when his mission has ended, cosmic key adventures and they can contact He-Man when they need help (show split between Eternia and Primus), or something different altogether?
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Hey Jack, I have some questions I think haven't been asked before...or maybe they have, we'll see.

1) NA gets a lot of grief from fans over the years, but what do you think is the best thing about NA?

2) What part of your work on NA are you most proud of (ex. a storyline, character development, a funny joke, etc.)?

3) If Mattel decided to have another go with a New Adventures cartoon (and you were working on it with complete freedom), how would you like to see it done? Primus being another planet in the same time/Galaxy as Eternia and his friends can join in on the action, still in the future and returns home when his mission has ended, cosmic key adventures and they can contact He-Man when they need help (show split between Eternia and Primus), or something different altogether?
    Great questions, Dark. As for your point about NA getting grief, I think it's considerably diminished over the years. I've gone into a lot of the (understandable) reasons why it got that grief early on and, as I've also said, a lot of fans have given it a second chance and some have even come around.

There were a number of things I liked about NA. First, it was very exciting for me, as a writer, to be working on an animated series that had continuity and an on-going storyline from episode to episode. NA was one of the first series to do that and I think a lot of fans liked that.

I know I'm not in the majority on this, but I also liked the fact that He-man left Eternia to answer a cry for help. I thought it was a huge sacrifice and very He-man like. Leaving family and friends behind to fight for freedom and libery is always tough, but it's something brave service men and women do on a daily basis, to their enduring credit and honor. So I think it's also to He-man's credit and honor that he did the same thing. Finally, I also liked the occasional, subtle romance elements of the series.

As for your second question, I liked the dramatic depth of the stories, even when it came to secondary characters as in THE RUNNING OF THE HERD and FOUR WAYS TO SUNDOWN. As for characters, I LOVE Slushhead. Mark Taylor and I had so much fun with him. And I always liked Crita a great deal. It was a pleasure to create a strong, confident female character who gave Skeletor a run for the money -- being married to an Irish wife, I get it.

Your third question is interesting but certainly hypothetical as there's about as much chance of Mattel going with another season of NA as there is my flying the space shuttle; kind of sad because I think it would be interesting -- both the series and flying the space shuttle.

As for how I'd like another season to go, I've covered that in detail in earlier posts in this thread and also on the Masterscast Episode 28 and in an upcoming Chronicles interview with Chris Vint (Watch for it. It was great fun.)

Basically, with He-man's Primus adventure successfully completed, he would return to Eternia with Skeletor, Crita and a few mutants following. Back home he would find Man-at-Arms had taken over in a coup from She-ra, The Sorceress and Teela. MAA did not do this in an evil way, but out of what he saw as necessity from a planet-wide threat and, on a subcobscious level, bowing to a long repressed personal desire for power. He-man would have his hands full trying to regain control of Eternia for his exiled parents. I would have loved to do that story.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Thanks for the answers Jack! For my third question, I meant if Mattel decided to put out a new New Adventures cartoon starting from scratch (kind of like MYP was a new take on the MOTU story), how you would takle it.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Thanks for the answers Jack! For my third question, I meant if Mattel decided to put out a new New Adventures cartoon starting from scratch (kind of like MYP was a new take on the MOTU story), how you would takle it.
    With the exception of eliminating the scientists, I would have done it exactly the same.

That said, I would have marketed it very differently. I would have given loyal MOTU fans plenty of notice that leaving Eternia was not forever and I would have built up He-man's courage and sacrifice in leaving Eternia to help people who were in need.

woooow Today I discovered this thread and it's really amazing, I just read it all, I have my eyes destroyed but I loved reading this.

I love this series, unfortunately, i never saw it as a child, first because it never aired in my country and second in that time I was already in my stupid teenage years and I was not interested in cartoons.
    I saw it as a adult and I loved it, I'm really looking forward to N.A and I love that N.A is part of Motu.
    i Always dream with an animated movie direct-to- DVD about N.A.

jack is great that you answer our questions
    I decided to "revived" this tread to ask you and also for new members to discover this tread

you probably already have asked about it but I'm sure I did not see it
    What is your favorite episode and why?
    other favorite episodes?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    woooow Today I discovered this thread and it's really amazing, I just read it all, I have my eyes destroyed but I loved reading this.

I love this series, unfortunately, i never saw it as a child, first because it never aired in my country and second in that time I was already in my stupid teenage years and I was not interested in cartoons.
    I saw it as a adult and I loved it, I'm really looking forward to N.A and I love that N.A is part of Motu.
    i Always dream with an animated movie direct-to- DVD about N.A.

jack is great that you answer our questions
    I decided to "revived" this tread to ask you and also for new members to discover this tread

you probably already have asked about it but I'm sure I did not see it
    What is your favorite episode and why?
    other favorite episodes?

thanks
    Nice to have you here, Heavy. I assume you've viewed the N/A DVD collection? To gain more background on the series you can listen to the podcast interviews with me -- Masterscast Episode 25 and the Feb installement of Chris Vint's Masters of the Universe Chronicles.

As for my favorite episode, it's a tie between FOUR WAYS TO SUNDOWN and RUNNING OF THE HERD. FOUR WAYS was my homage to legendary film director Akira Kurosawa and his film RASHOMON. (How often does an animation writer get an opportunity to pay tribute to his personal hero? )

RUNNING OF THE HERD was a fave of mine because it gave me a chance to go deep into very personal character elements and particularly to explore what I felt was an intriguing character who, previous to that episode, had not gotten a lot of airtime.

As for other episodes, I have many I enjoyed but one of my favorites was ONCE UPON A TIME, written by the very talented Misty Taggart. I loved that she harked to something I hadn't considered before: He-man's being 'homesick' and missing family and friends, just as our own servicemen and servicewomen miss their family and friends when they are defending freedom and liberty. I've always felt Misty's idea to have the Sorceress send Teela to visit He-man was a brilliant stroke...and one I greatly enjoyed.

Thanks for your answers ,jack.
    yes, I have the dvds, my language is Spanish and I saw the episodes in that language, but in my opinion the dubbing in Spanish Latin is really bad and so now I'm watching the episodes in English.

one of the things I love about this series is that it has a beginning and end, for this reason two of my favorite episodes are the first and last one.

Sunday we will know about the new motuc figures , hopefully see a guardian
    What would you like to see?
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; February 9, 2011 at 07:48pm.

Thanks for your answers ,jack.
    yes, I have the dvds, my language is Spanish and I saw the episodes in that language, but in my opinion the dubbing in Spanish Latin is really bad and so now I'm watching the episodes in English.

one of the things I love about this series is that it has a beginning and end, for this reason two of my favorite episodes are the first and last one.

Sunday we will know about the new motuc figures , hopefully see a guardian
    What would you like to see?
    Now you have made me jealous. I had not previously noted that you live in Buenos Aires. One of my greatest desires is to visit the Teatro Colon and you -- lucky -- have it in your home town!

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Now you have made me jealous. I had not previously noted that you live in Buenos Aires. One of my greatest desires is to visit the Teatro Colon and you -- lucky -- have it in your home town!
    Last year the colon theater was reopened(it was in repair for 2 years), I was lucky to be at the re-inauguration, outside the theater (inside was only for celebrities). the show was amazing and the theater looks really impressive.

I was out there on the day of the inauguration ,i give you this

Last edited by heavy-eternium; February 10, 2011 at 12:51am.

Last year the colon theater was reopened(it was in repair for 2 years), I was lucky to be at the re-inauguration, outside the theater (inside was only for celebrities). the show was amazing and the theater looks really impressive.

I was out there on the day of the inauguration ,i give you this

http://ayudabuenosaires.files.wordpr...colon-2010.jpg
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UWfQ3yhg8j...1600/colon.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hRuq6OEi4a...AA/s1600/1.jpg
    http://www.aquic.com.ar/wp-content/u...rrito1_500.jpg
    http://alojargentina.com/blog/visita...tro-colon2.jpg
    http://www.radiofmq.com/documentos/14/teatro_colon.jpg
    http://elcensordeloeste.com/home/wp-...00x200-121.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wRESvx1Bb9...ro-colon-1.gif
    Thank you for that, Heavy.

Yes, I was aware of the extensive renovations. The wait was worth it. The world enjoys a treasure once more.

Magnificent!

jack ,about the lessons and morals at the end of the episodes,
    are those yours?

jack ,about the lessons and morals at the end of the episodes,
    are those yours?
    Always.

Also known as PSAs (Public Service Announcements), I was fortunate to have started writing them under the tutelage of legendary children's television executive Lori Crawford-Anderson during my tenure at DIC.

I have always believed that when one works with children -- who, if you'll allow this spiritual guy a bit of slack, I believe are gifts from God -- then one has a huge responsibility to do all one can to have a positive influence on those young and impressionable minds.

As such, I always felt priviledged to be able to write the short messages at the ends of many hundreds of different television episodes I've penned.

That said, I recognize and appreciate that some fans -- particularly adults -- will feel that PSAs are preachy. Perhaps that's so. But I think there's also something to be said for trying to send a positive message to children through animated characters. It sure beats Joe Camel. (For my Argentinian friend, Joe Camel is an animated character created by Camel cigarettes. That creation has taken a lot of heat in the United States because it is an animated character and, hence, has the potential to appeal to children.)

Always.

Also known as PSAs (Public Service Announcements), I was fortunate to have started writing them under the tutelage of legendary children's television executive Lori Crawford-Anderson during my tenure at DIC.

I have always believed that when one works with children -- who, if you'll allow this spiritual guy a bit of slack, I believe are gifts from God -- then one has a huge responsibility to do all one can to have a positive influence on those young and impressionable minds.

As such, I always felt priviledged to be able to write the short messages at the ends of many hundreds of different television episodes I've penned.

That said, I recognize and appreciate that some fans -- particularly adults -- will feel that PSAs are preachy. Perhaps that's so. But I think there's also something to be said for trying to send a positive message to children through animated characters. It sure beats Joe Camel. (For my Argentinian friend, Joe Camel is an animated character created by Camel cigarettes. That creation has taken a lot of heat in the United States because it is an animated character and, hence, has the potential to appeal to children.)
    jack thanks for your answer.

very interesting I thought it was only in filmation series.
    in my opinion the lessons are very important, I have no doubt that the morals of the he-man series were very important in my formation as a person
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; March 6, 2011 at 10:55pm.

Follow up Question for Drissi

Dear Jack Olesker,

as you suggested iīve listen to your Interviews for more research about NA and especially Crita and Drissi as iīm in the middle of drawing my own versions for them.

At PopCultureNetwork you said, you wanted her coming along with HE-MAN as his love interest but also said you were unaware of the Mini comics back than when you were writing Na. So you didnīt know everyone in the future knew he was Adam and he didnīt need this disguess anymore.

here comes my question:

Did you plan to tell Drissi the truth about him being Adam and was she become his official girlfriend? If not who was she in love with? Adam or He-Man?

I hope you can answer me some of my questions.

Best wishes from Europe,
    Niki

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Dear Jack Olesker,

as you suggested iīve listen to your Interviews for more research about NA and especially Crita and Drissi as iīm in the middle of drawing my own versions for them.

At PopCultureNetwork you said, you wanted her coming along with HE-MAN as his love interest but also said you were unaware of the Mini comics back than when you were writing Na. So you didnīt know everyone in the future knew he was Adam and he didnīt need this disguess anymore.

here comes my question:

Did you plan to tell Drissi the truth about him being Adam and was she become his official girlfriend? If not who was she in love with? Adam or He-Man?

I hope you can answer me some of my questions.

Best wishes from Europe,
    Niki
    Best wishes to Europe.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, Niki. (April is the beginning of 'pitch season' in the U.S. entertainment industry and my production company is preparing to present a slate of new series to broadcasters. Much work.)

In hindsight -- which is always 20/20, I think He-man should have dropped being Adam on Primus. Skeletor is a lot of things, but he's no idiot. If he saw He-man and Adam on Eternia and then on Primus, it's not hard to connect the dots. Back on Eternia again, the 'ruse' would be finished.

As for Drissi being He-man's girlfriend, I'd have elected to keep He-man 'playing the field'. In addition to his other claim to fame, he's also "The Most Eligible Bachelor in the Universe." I think interesting plot developments could have come out of that and they would have added an rich layer to the series.

This is not a question so much as an observation. The one thing that didn't sit well with me regarding the whole Adam / He-Man thing was in the first ep (or possibly the second...but early in the show) the first time he meets Sebrian he turns from He-Man back into Adam right in front of him. I thought his identity was supposed to be a secret. I mean all the time on Eternia he never told his parents or his friends (not including the few who already knew) and yet he reveals his biggest secret to a guy he has only known for 5 minutes.

That was some sloppy writing Jacko
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    This is not a question so much as an observation. The one thing that didn't sit well with me regarding the whole Adam / He-Man thing was in the first ep (or possibly the second...but early in the show) the first time he meets Sebrian he turns from He-Man back into Adam right in front of him. I thought his identity was supposed to be a secret. I mean all the time on Eternia he never told his parents or his friends (not including the few who already knew) and yet he reveals his biggest secret to a guy he has only known for 5 minutes.

That was some sloppy writing Jacko
    No, actually if you would have read my Primus Revealed thread you would have known that I intended Primus to be Heaven and Master Sebrian to be God. In theology, all things are known to God.

Not sloppy writing on my part. Just insufficient research on your part, wolfie.

As a serious aside, I hope your mother is feeling better. She continue to be in my family's prayers.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; March 27, 2011 at 05:29pm.

No, actually if you would have read my Primus Revealed thread you would have known that I intended Primus to be Heaven and Master Sebrian to be God. In theology, all things are known to God.

Not sloppy writing on my part. Just insufficient research on your part, wolfie.

As a serious aside, I hope your mother is feeling better. She continue to be in my family's prayers.

You knew it was supposed to be heaven but I doubt many kids did so they probably wondered why He-Man was telling his secret to some baldy old guy

Oh and mother is doing better. Still on the ventillator but she is awake now
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    You knew it was supposed to be heaven but I doubt many kids did so they probably wondered why He-Man was telling his secret to some baldy old guy

Oh and mother is doing better. Still on the ventillator but she is awake now
    Mysterious reasons for why things happen work well in a series or a film -- from a valiant young warrior finding out almost too late that his adversary is actually his father to almost any plot development on almost any daytime soap opera.

Glad to hear your mother is doing better.

Here's one I've wondered about for a while and I don't believe I've seen it asked anywhere before.

In regard to Crita she seemed fiercely loyal to Skeletor over Flogg. Was this just an act? A bid for power so to speak-her chance to team up with Skeletor and then make something for herself? Or did she actually have interest in Skeletor for a good old fashioned villian team up? Or maybe she's into guys with skulls for a head? Was her loyalty real or was she out for herself?

And where there any specific plans for her in season 2?
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

Excellent question, David.

Although originally aligned with Flogg, over the series arc for Season One Crita switched her allegiance and support -- albeit somewhat covertly -- to Skeletor.

Crita is an opportunity and a pragmatist. She's also extremely intelligent. It didn't take her long to understand precisely where Skeletor was coming from -- a poseur who feigns being subservient to Flogg in order to get a lay of the land before he makes his move. She intuitively understands Skeletor's true power and she knows he is her future. She intends to rule by his side -- King and Queen of the known universe.

I had definitely invisioned Crita returning to Eternia with Skeletor in Season 2. I had also envisioned several cat-fights between Crita, Teela and She-ra.

Excellent question, David.

Although originally aligned with Flogg, over the series arc for Season One Crita switched her allegiance and support -- albeit somewhat covertly -- to Skeletor.

Crita is an opportunity and a pragmatist. She's also extremely intelligent. It didn't take her long to understand precisely where Skeletor was coming from -- a poseur who feigns being subservient to Flogg in order to get a lay of the land before he makes his move. She intuitively understands Skeletor's true power and she knows he is her future. She intends to rule by his side -- King and Queen of the known universe.

I had definitely invisioned Crita returning to Eternia with Skeletor in Season 2. I had also envisioned several cat-fights between Crita, Teela and She-ra.
    Very cool. That's actually the answer I was hoping for. I really like where the character was going and it sounds like season 2 would have been a lot of fun.

If might be interesting if the MOTUC bios take a similar approach to where NA season 2 was headed and perhaps Snake Man-At-Arms will plague Eternia for a while until He-man returns and saves his friend from himself.

I've seen a few others suggest that elsewhere and thought it sounded like it could work well.

Hello Jack,

I've been gone from the site for a few years, so I consider myself a newcomer here. I - like many - have grown to appreciate your contributions more and more over the years. The charm of the series has always been the mixing of so many genres and ideas, and space and time travel were a welcome addition. I hope I'm not bothering you with questions.

In the past few months, you've added a couple of thoughts on the seemingly changing of NA in the MOTUC story. (For the record, I think that would take away so many dramatic possibilities, yet I digress). What I haven't heard is how much - if any - input you've had into the process. You're absolutely the expert in the mythology of NA and if MOTUC is looking for a rich history, you have the makings of a large chapter in that.

I understand the business need for them to possibly override some of those original concepts, but have they taken any of your original notes to build that portion of Masters' history? I certainly hope so.

Oh, and a far less important question I suppose; I've always had a particular fascination with Weaponstronic - despite him being a fairly minor character. Any recollections on the inspiration for the character?