Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Olesker's Thread: "You've Got Questions, I've Got Answers"

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by whbinder View Post
    Hello Jack,

I've been gone from the site for a few years, so I consider myself a newcomer here. I - like many - have grown to appreciate your contributions more and more over the years. The charm of the series has always been the mixing of so many genres and ideas, and space and time travel were a welcome addition. I hope I'm not bothering you with questions.

In the past few months, you've added a couple of thoughts on the seemingly changing of NA in the MOTUC story. (For the record, I think that would take away so many dramatic possibilities, yet I digress). What I haven't heard is how much - if any - input you've had into the process. You're absolutely the expert in the mythology of NA and if MOTUC is looking for a rich history, you have the makings of a large chapter in that.

I understand the business need for them to possibly override some of those original concepts, but have they taken any of your original notes to build that portion of Masters' history? I certainly hope so.

Oh, and a far less important question I suppose; I've always had a particular fascination with Weaponstronic - despite him being a fairly minor character. Any recollections on the inspiration for the character?
    After I completed my work on the NA series, Mattel never contact me nor asked me to consult on additional work on the project. They owned all rights to my work so that was their decision to make.

Such a shame. Thanks for the response sir.

I was wondering, why you end up making Crita instead perhaps having Evil-Lyn in space with Skeletor?

Also you did mention returning back to Eternia in next season (that never came), would it have meant re-introduction of the Skeletor's most known servants including Evil-Lyn, Beastman, Mer-man and such?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    I was wondering, why you end up making Crita instead perhaps having Evil-Lyn in space with Skeletor?

Also you did mention returning back to Eternia in next season (that never came), would it have meant re-introduction of the Skeletor's most known servants including Evil-Lyn, Beastman, Mer-man and such?

Thanks!
    I used Crita because I wanted a new, fresh character to explore -- someone with an entirely different background and origin story that we could gradually reveal over the story arc. Moreover, with a new character we would have had new interactions with already established charatcers ad, in turn, perhaps those established characters would be forced to act in new and unexpected ways.

As for your second question, the answer is "Absolutely!"
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; August 28, 2011 at 07:13pm.

Thanks, this leads to a follow-up question, how much of the backstories was left to your drawer? Do you have any background details you wanted to use but never got a chance that you remember?

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    Thanks, this leads to a follow-up question, how much of the backstories was left to your drawer? Do you have any background details you wanted to use but never got a chance that you remember?
    Excellent questions, Invicta. (Btw, kindly note my correction of my typo in spelling of Crita's name in my previous post.)

When Mattel presented the two waves of action figures to me atr their headquarters they had created the rough basis for their interrelationships, where they came from, etc. They also had established some of the locales. However, they gave me the creative latitude to flesh out the characters, to add a few new ones and to create and explore some other locations of my own making -- Gorn City, for example.

My recollection -- and this is a recollection that is from very long ago and if I'm wrong then I'll gladly stand corrected by Matty -- is that the characters I created from whole cloth were Master Sebrian, Crita, the Mytes and Gleanons and (may heaven help me ) the scientists.

For the 65 episodes of NA there was little that I did not use. However, I held much of the continuing development in their personalities in what I had hoped would become Season Two in abeyance -- e.g., how the characters would react, evolve and change when they returned to Eternia in Season Two -- as I wanted to wait until we were greenlighted for the next season. Much of that is covered in various threads here as well as in my interviews in Masterscast and The MOTU Chronicles.

One last point I'll make -- and I've made it before: while technically NA was only one season, and many point to it being a failure because of this, the fact is that it ran for sixty-five episodes. Typically a 'season' for a Saturday morning network toon was thirteen episodes. In this sense it had five 'seasons'. I will not, of course, argue that it was a commercial success as it was not. The reasons for that are many and I've offered my opinions about that -- and that's all they are...opinions -- in other places.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; October 23, 2011 at 07:14pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    Sixty-five episodes is an amazing achievement! I imagine they produced that number so that they could go into syndication in the same way Filmation did. As much as I love the original cartoon, the animation and storytelling in New Adventures was far superior.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Hey Jack:

You have mentioned previously that you planned to bring She-Ra into season 2... What other plans did you have for her? Would she reveal her identity to the king and queen as well? LOVED THE SERIES BTW!!!

Thanks for that, Captain.

Legacy, as I said in the masterscast Episode 25 podcast interview and later during Chris Vint's MOTU Chronicles podcast interview with me, I'd envisioned She-Ra, Teela and The Sorceress forging a triumvirate in an attempt to fend off Man-at-War's well-intentioned coup during a difficult time on Eternia. But MAA would have ultimately prevailed and driven off the three into exile, with them only returning to join forces with He-man upon his return.

I do think it would have been interesting to see how She-Ra would have interacted with Drissi and Mara, who would be focused personally on He-man. And there would certainly be a great catfight at some point between She-Ra and Crita since, naturally, I've always been a fan of the classic Miller Light commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82BNBwck8Zs

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I'd envisioned She-Ra, Teela and The Sorceress forging a triumvirate in an attempt to fend off Man-at-War's well-intentioned coup during a difficult time on Eternia.
    (awesome commercial, BTW)

I've seen mention before of Man-at-War's coup, and always with the caveat that it was well intentioned. I'd love to know more about the motivations for Duncan and the cause of his rift with the magical ladies.

I do think it would have been interesting to see how She-Ra would have interacted with Drissi and Mara, who would be focused personally on He-man. And there would certainly be a great catfight at some point between She-Ra and Crita since, naturally, I've always been a fan of the classic Miller Light commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82BNBwck8Zs
    Haha! That's hilarious - seeing She-Ra/Crita face off would have been awesome. Couple of questions from me Jack: what would you have done with Adora?

And - this may sound like an odd question - did you envisage Crita being a witch or simply a warrior? She was in a lot of episodes and schemed plenty, but I don't remember her in too many action sequences (save flying crafts and that iconic battle with Mara and her killer ponytail - I think she had a magic ring in one episode....?).

Sorry if any of those have already been asked - this is becoming one of the longest threads in living He-Memory!
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Haha! That's hilarious - seeing She-Ra/Crita face off would have been awesome. Couple of questions from me Jack: what would you have done with Adora?

And - this may sound like an odd question - did you envisage Crita being a witch or simply a warrior? She was in a lot of episodes and schemed plenty, but I don't remember her in too many action sequences (save flying crafts and that iconic battle with Mara and her killer ponytail - I think she had a magic ring in one episode....?).

Sorry if any of those have already been asked - this is becoming one of the longest threads in living He-Memory!
    It's a good question -- about Adora.

It's been correctly observed by some fans that Skeletor is many things; but he's no idiot. Given He-man and Adam being on Primus, it stands to reason he'll figure out the deal and, by extension Adora's story. So a case can be made that upon Skelly's return to Eternia the alter-egos may have outlived their usefulness (GASP!).

Of course we could always set things back to how they were with a simple flash of a red MEN-IN-BLACK light, but I'm not a fan of easy fixes.

What I'd do -- and here's a novel idea and one Matty might have considered before just thrusting NA on fans in the first place so long ago --is to ask the fans what they'd like to see happen with Adora and Prince Adam identities. I mean, my gosh, just look at this website brimming with rabid, loyal fans. It's a beautiful thing, imo. So why not tap into it for ideas?

As for Crita, well I had all sorts of ideas about what to do with her -- some that can only be mentioned in The Tar Swamp. A lot of things could have happened. She could have broken away and tried to set up her own sphere of influence on Eternia. She might have aligned herself with She-Ra, The Sorceress and Teela (Crita does tend to thrown in with those who she sees as the winning side) or -- my favorite idea -- she might decide to be a warrior princess serving at Skelly's side. Can you imagine the episode covering the wedding of Crita to Skeletor?!!! And then, of course, even as his wife, Crita would continue to weave her own webs, playing all sides against each other. (Gawd, I love that gal! )

Finally, yep, you're right about this being a long-running thread -- though it pales in comparison to the Console Wars thread in the Other Discussions forum that I'm in absolute awe of. It's a particular joy for me to see so very many fans have at least peeked in from time to time. I am honored by those who have offered praise, appreciative to those who have offered firm but civil criticism (some of which I have learned from) and I feel especially grateful to those fans who decided, after all these years, to give NA a second chance by viewing the NA DVD collection, and eventually concluded that NA is a separate adventure in the MOTU mythos and, in some cases, even warmed to NA.

Most of all, however, this writer is so very delighted to be fortunate enough to enjoy fan interaction -- the good, the bad and even the ugly. Keep it coming!

Best,

Jack

I have another question... speaking of returning to Eternia, would you have used any classic villains like Evil-Lyn or Beast Man? In ep. 1, you created a character called Andros, who was very reminiscent of Goat Man from the Golden Bird Book The Dragon's Egg!
    Please check out my new fan-fiction and critique blog, Masters of the Universe: Legacies!

Episode #1: "Brave New Eternia or Etherian Epitaphs" is available to read NOW!!

Part 1 of a 2 part introduction of a 13 episodic arc!!!

What will be your Legacy?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegacy View Post
    I have another question... speaking of returning to Eternia, would you have used any classic villains like Evil-Lyn or Beast Man? In ep. 1, you created a character called Andros, who was very reminiscent of Goat Man from the Golden Bird Book The Dragon's Egg!
    Once back on Eternia, all things Eternian would have applied -- including, with the excpetion of a few mutant villains accompanying Skelly, the classic villains.

Oh what a homecoming it would have been for our He-man.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    - did you envisage Crita being a witch or simply a warrior? She was in a lot of episodes and schemed plenty, but I don't remember her in too many action sequences (save flying crafts and that iconic battle with Mara and her killer ponytail - I think she had a magic ring in one episode....?).
    I'd like to submit this same question if that's allowed. Can you give us more information on Crita's fighting style? Does she have any natural magical powers or a straight melee fighter?
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    I'd like to submit this same question if that's allowed. Can you give us more information on Crita's fighting style? Does she have any natural magical powers or a straight melee fighter?
    "Does she have any natural magical powers?" Well, since this isn't The Tar Swamp I can't give a 'complete' answer...

Seriously, I didn't want to give Crita any of the kinds of magical powers you're referring to. I wanted her to be someone that uses her superior intellect and only relies on physicality as a last resort. I also wanted her to be Machiavellean, devious and very, very enticing. (Sometimes I think beautiful former KGB spy Anna Chapman might have watched a few episodes of NA and found a role model to pattern herself after. )

When Crita did need to fight, her style would be much more elegant than just a melee fighter. This gal is a class act and, as such, would use classy fighting styles. Think a kind of combination of Uma Thurman and Lucy Liu in KILL BILL VOL. 1. (Hold on. I need to take a cold shower...)

There. That's better.

As for weapons, a whip says it all, but most of the time. like Posion Ivy -- another favorite villainness of mine (and yes, there is a pattern developing here) -- I think Crita's wit and guile suffice.

As you can likely tell, I do love her so. Crita, that is; not Uma. (Pause, pause, pause) Wellllllll...
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 3, 2011 at 04:29pm.

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    "Does she have any natural magical powers?" Well, since this isn't The Tar Swamp I can't give a 'complete' answer...
    Was it your idea to put her in the cyber-lingerie when she went off to rule the Gleanons? About all that outfit was missing was stocking suspenders and a riding crop! I remember thinking it was quite racy when I was a child.

Watching the episodes, it seemed like her outfit was being simplified so she could be released as a figure? But I've never seen any information about any female prototype other than Mara?

Was it also your idea to set Mara and Crita up as warrior "queens"?, It almost felt like the beginnings of a spin off in the more female dominated style of Sh-Ra?
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    Was it your idea to put her in the cyber-lingerie when she went off to rule the Gleanons? About all that outfit was missing was stocking suspenders and a riding crop! I remember thinking it was quite racy when I was a child.

Watching the episodes, it seemed like her outfit was being simplified so she could be released as a figure? But I've never seen any information about any female prototype other than Mara?

Was it also your idea to set Mara and Crita up as warrior "queens"?, It almost felt like the beginnings of a spin off in the more female dominated style of Sh-Ra?
    As for Crita's outfit, let's just say I was ahead of the curve with regard to present-day series like Lingerie Football on ESPN 2. (And if you'd like the broadcast scheule for the next six months I can send it to you.)

Seriously, when you look at many powerful female heroes -- She-ra, Red Sonja, Wonder Woman (be still my beating heart. ) they were attired in ways that allowed them to strut their stuff. One of the positives of this is to demonstrate to boys that part of the power of women is their physical beauty. How many boys went slack jawed when She-ra appeared on their television sets? Crita's ability to soften Skelly's heart is proof positive of ther power.

Btw, you're quite correct about Mara and Crita and the direction I ultimately wanted to go. Congrats, as you're the first person who saw that coming. As many here know, I'm big on female empowerment -- which is why I married and Irish gal. Now some will say it's sexist to say women have power because of their physicality, but it's true. Having said that, however, you will note that Crita -- and all the other female heroes I mentioned -- also are intelligent, articulate and demonstrate strategic thinking abilities. So their physicality is only one part of their arsenal. Physicality alone is hollow and I never create female characters that are just eye-candy.

Having a nine-year old daughter, I now feel -- more than ever -- that it's important that girls have female role models to look up to and I'm not talking about Brittany Spears or Paris Hilton.

Hey Jack found this thread and been really enjoying it...its so nice that you are motivated by a respect and love of classic MOTU and that you give back power to the fans and respect our questions etc.

I wanted to ask more about Evil-Lyn after seeing a conceptual drawing of NA Evil Lyn..what was ur intention with her? After all Crita really takes her place which im not found of I have to say but I love Evil-Lyn...Would be interesting to know if Shadow Weaver would have featured in season 2 also...Hordak??

Also what about Castle Greyskull and Snake Mountain...how would you have featured those icons?

Quote Originally Posted by skeletorous View Post
    Hey Jack found this thread and been really enjoying it...its so nice that you are motivated by a respect and love of classic MOTU and that you give back power to the fans and respect our questions etc.

I wanted to ask more about Evil-Lyn after seeing a conceptual drawing of NA Evil Lyn..what was ur intention with her? After all Crita really takes her place which im not found of I have to say but I love Evil-Lyn...Would be interesting to know if Shadow Weaver would have featured in season 2 also...Hordak??

Also what about Castle Greyskull and Snake Mountain...how would you have featured those icons?
    Thank you for that, Skel. As most here know, I usually repsond pretty quickly to queries. Yours happens to come at the tail end of television pitch season, my production company's busiest time of year. Too, it requires a detailed answer. So bear with me and I'll get back to you later this coming week.

I note your location as Cheshire? Is that as in Cheshire, England. England is one of my top four favourite (I threw the 'u' in favorite in the event that you are in England) countries in the world and the north west of England is a very special place, imo.

Best,

Jack
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 12, 2011 at 11:23am.

Sorry if this has been asked before, though as a dyplitik... discrextic.... desrixkiticia....... someone who sees words differently, it's difficult to go through each post, but I just wanted to ask; were the morals at the end of the eps really necessary? Was it a requirement to have them, or a homage to the original series, or did somebody think that they were actually needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before, though as a dyplitik... discrextic.... desrixkiticia....... someone who sees words differently, it's difficult to go through each post, but I just wanted to ask; were the morals at the end of the eps really necessary? Was it a requirement to have them, or a homage to the original series, or did somebody think that they were actually needed?
    Did you hear the one about the dyslexic atheist? He didn't believe on doG.

I'll answer your query now because it only requires a short answer, unlike skel's.

The PSAs (Public Service Annoucements) at the end of the episodes were not a requirement. Rather they were at the direction of Executive Producer and Jetlag owner Jean Chalopin and we done because of his feeling (which I whole-heartedly share) that when producing children's entertainment one has an obligation to help in the positive, pro-social development of children. PSAs can also be seen on many DIC series during the time when Jean was the company's owner. I wrote many of them when I was DIC's Senior Story Editor.

Old gag, but still very very true

I see! They've been the one thing I remember always hating from the early days, of any series that used them, it felt like the producers were shouting "HEY THICKOS. For those of you out there too stupid to understand what was the point of this story, here it is spelled out so that even YOU can understand!" I still skip them... except for that one He-Man She-Ra moral, t'was to hilarious not to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Old gag, but still very very true

I see! They've been the one thing I remember always hating from the early days, of any series that used them, it felt like the producers were shouting "HEY THICKOS. For those of you out there too stupid to understand what was the point of this story, here it is spelled out so that even YOU can understand!" I still skip them... except for that one He-Man She-Ra moral, t'was to hilarious not to watch
    Regrettably, not all children are as astute as you likely were or enjoyed the blessing of having hands-on parents that taught them moral and ethical imperatives.

As witness of this, we received many thank you notes form parents that felt the PSAs served as springboards for them to have discussions with their children.

I wish I was or did (father worked nights so never around, mother was a teacher so worked late.. just one minder after the next), but after 20min of watching the eps, it was hard not to have got the moral, seeing as how often it was made obvious during the ep, though from what you say, it seems to have helped the parents more than the kids.

All said, very grateful for the NA series, my fave of all 3 He-Man shows!
    Last edited by Zentron; November 12, 2011 at 03:02pm.