Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Olesker's Thread: "You've Got Questions, I've Got Answers"

I liked the idea in the mini comic of having skeletor find out that Adam and he man are one in the same, it would of been a great dimension of the characters to explore

Heroic Warrior
    Just dawned on me after listening to gooble 68 and all the past talk about the originators of the vintage creating figures for the 30th anniversary.

Q:Would you like to/would want to create a figure for a 30th anniversary line?
    NA or other wise?

I assume/hope/guessing this hasn't been asked. If just just delete. To lazy to read through all the posts or to use the search feature.

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Just dawned on me after listening to gooble 68 and all the past talk about the originators of the vintage creating figures for the 30th anniversary.

Q:Would you like to/would want to create a figure for a 30th anniversary line?
    NA or other wise?

I assume/hope/guessing this hasn't been asked. If just just delete. To lazy to read through all the posts or to use the search feature.
    To be candid, I don't think there would be enough interest to support it.

so, where are all of the threads for New Adventures? I figured there would be 65 threads to discuss individually each episode, and Toy Threads, and Custom NA Toy Threads...I'm watching thru right now, and I LOVE this series. I used to hate it, but after someone told me to just accept that this skeletor is a Joker Possessed Skeletor, and not really the same guy, I got over it. It's a great show. I'm only on Ep 16, Crack in the World, and I'm so surprised that Slush Head was not made before Optikk, since Optikk is RARELY heard out of so far, but Slush Head is prolly the 3rd most used villain, after Skeletor and Grom(name? right?...i've also been watching TMNT from 1987, so that could be the alien brain)
    No more stuff for sell, all donated, done!
    I still need MOTUC: Strobos, King Grayskull, Wun-Dar, and Preternia He-Man
    Join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2544672215/

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconhood View Post
    after Skeletor and Grom(name? right?...i've also been watching TMNT from 1987, so that could be the alien brain)
    Flogg/Brakk & Krang?
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

I remember seeing the toys first before the cartoon and was confused why Brakk and Kalamarr were called Flogg and Slush Head in the cartoon. Which were their original names and why were they changed?

Heroic Warrior
    It was asked here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=1#post3043155 in a general sense but I'll ask you directly.

Do you think the 30th Anniversary Sub is going through what NA Did? Which is "this isn't my He-Man".

I said yes but in a different way. 30th is a radical expansion as NA was a radical look.

Widget
    Okay Jack, here are my questions. And please folks forgive me here, for I have only just acquired one half of the NA dvd sets and have not yet been able to watch the other half due to inability to retrieve part 2.

1) What are your feelings about the mixed reactions by fans to New Adventures?

2) In the beginning of NA you rocked the boat a bit by allowing Adam to transform right in front of Randor and Marlena. Did you intend to follow up on that event later on in the series or were you content to abruptly leave things there and not expand on reactions and questions by Adam's parents to their son being the great protector?

3) Why change the phrasing in the transformation sequence? I was under the impression that Grayskull had the powers and Adam drew from there. I ask out of confusion lol

Back on the board after a funeral.

First to midor: I'm not a collector, so I really can't weigh in on the subject because I'm not aware of what you're posting about. Sorry. If you can expand I'll try to answer.

Prince: 1) Excellent question...which I answered at length in the Masterscast podcast episode in which I was interviewed. You'll find a lot of other fun background information in there as well:

http://masterscast.com/?p=46

2) I was definitely going to follow up when He-man returned to Eternia as I'd envisioned in Season 2 of NA. My feeling was that the whole secret identity thing would fall to pieces as I'd prposed to have had Marlena and Randor imprisoned by skeletor and maintaining the secret identity would just become unwieldy and secondary to He-man's rescuing Marlena and Randor and restoring order.

3) Another excellent question and, again, one I addressed in the podcast interview. (I'll be interested to hear your impressions of the interview, btw.) Briefly, I felt He-man was so far removed from Grayskull that his powers were diminished by time and distance, so I wanted a new tag phrase for him. I felt it worked out well as I consciously wanted to diminish He-man's strength and have him rely more upon his intellect and wit, so the change was a conscious one.

To red laser: As I've said, I am not a collector, so I was unaware of the original names. Flogg and Slushhead were the names Mattel presented to me in their toyline presentation.

Finally, to Falconhood: fo a long time there was little interest and considerable vitriol about NA. The BCI collection changed a lot of that as many fans gave the series a second chance. As tempers cooled over time, many -- not all -- fans came to accept NA as a separate adventure and some even came to like it. I'd like to think my mastercast interview helped a bit as well, since it gave me a chance to fill in some background on the series, where we'd made some mistakes and where I'd hoped to go if there had been a Season Two.

And I've a hunch with you now onboard that we'll soon have a lot more threads.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; July 24, 2012 at 07:40pm.

Hi Jack!!!

Here my Next Questions:

1.) Why you let He-Man the HERO lie in Episode "06 Sword & Staff" ?

2.) From where comes this Cristal and his Power ?

3.) Want Mattel you wirte a story for Change look or was this your own idea for this story ?

4.) Is Sebrian the First or the Family name of Master Sebrian ?
    5.) How old is Drissy by meet He-Man first time ?

INFO:

"Sword & Staff" this is one of my favorit Episodes!!!! ... i think this Episode is a Important Episode for the Global Story of NA.
    Another one written by you is Episode 7, i really love this episode !
    I need a Brush who made pictures come life or i want this posibility to made moved Pictures (like an Anigif) he he heeee
    Last edited by ˛He-Ro; July 31, 2012 at 09:19pm.
    --- MOTUC need now General Darius --- Darius as MOTUC Topic

...if you are He-Ro˛ - Son of He-Man and MOTU Fan join the SoH Group

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Hi and thanks for taking the time to post here! It is very cool to get a lot of this information about the show in such a direct way. I was a NA fan, and thought it had some good moments.

One question I have always had is concerning the first episode. Do you know why so many of the classic characters were totally absent? I can understand maybe not having a big part as the story needed to get He-man and Skeletor into the future and start developing new characters. But i always wondered why Skeletor had those generic guards as opposed to say Beastman or Triklops. Or why man at Arms and teela at the least were not seen at the palace, even if in a non speaking "cameo" background role.

Hi Jack,

Sorry if this has been asked before but in this first screen shot from the NA credits Kayo is shown with white arms, where as in every other appearance he has bare arms like in the second shot.
    Was this an animation error or at some point in development did Kayo have white sleeves?

Many thanks in advance.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Widget
    Jack,

I re-listened to the MastersCast interview you recommended. And since you expressed interest in my opinion on the interview I will include it plus another question since you definitely answered my first questions with very pleasant results.

My question comes firstly here.

1) I noticed that the very beginning episodes of New Adventures are very intricately tied together in their sequel based continuity. 5 total I counted but I welcome correction on my count. But did you want it to possibly have, if not a theatrical release, a video feature film release?

I found it very informative again. I noticed myself listening just as intently to that as I would a great audiobook. The only difference was I had no desire to fall asleep to this on second listening like I have my other audio collections lol. I also appreciated hearing how gracious and grateful you were/are to the He-Fans and our passions for the incarnation you happened to have greatest involvement in. It made me feel that if I couldn't talk to you thru phone or in person myself, that you were talking to me even though you answered interview based queries. By the way, if I had the ability to just talk turkey with you directly vocally it would just rule. Ah. One last question. Just thought of it.

2) Each incarnation of He-Man has it's fair share of comic relief characters to be sure. But you took huge steps for a more serious series for He-Man and it seems to me that you didn't really want a "comic" character or characters at all. Is this a fair assumption? Did you want to keep it fully in a more serious mode and leave out the gags and pratfalls?

There. I will end my long winded section here. Thank you again very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    Hi and thanks for taking the time to post here! It is very cool to get a lot of this information about the show in such a direct way. I was a NA fan, and thought it had some good moments.

One question I have always had is concerning the first episode. Do you know why so many of the classic characters were totally absent? I can understand maybe not having a big part as the story needed to get He-man and Skeletor into the future and start developing new characters. But i always wondered why Skeletor had those generic guards as opposed to say Beastman or Triklops. Or why man at Arms and teela at the least were not seen at the palace, even if in a non speaking "cameo" background role.
    Great questions.

The classic characters are gone because Mattel wanted to create an entirely new line of chactacters, thinking that the old line was the at a saturation point for collectors -- e.g., how many MAA action and Beastman figures can you collect? Therefore, they elimated the old characters and created new ones, hopnig to create sales of new figs.

I discussed this and many other issues when I was interviewed in the Masterscast Episode 28 podcast. You might find it interesting and thanks for being a fan:

A fan, not a nostalgic
    Why was the premise of the show changed from the premise of the minicomics? For example: in the minicomics, the starship Eternia is the time machine, Skeletor tricks its crew into absorbing the energy of Castle Grayskull and Adam transforms in front of him, surprised of his new form. In the cartoon, this does not happen, and He-Man already looks different before the main events are kickstarted. The same for Skeletor: in the minicomics he eventually gets to look different because he is caught in a power explosion that leaves him burned and cures himself with cybernetic parts; in the cartoon, he is already a cyborg in the beginning.
    Was a case of lack of communications between you and Mattel, or did Mattel order the changes from the minicomics?

The NA commercials include live-action scenes with actors playing He-Man and Skeletor. Was there ever any talk about a NA feature film or live-action TV series?
    Last edited by Devil Master; August 5, 2012 at 08:42am.

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Hi Jack,

Sorry if this has been asked before but in this first screen shot from the NA credits Kayo is shown with white arms, where as in every other appearance he has bare arms like in the second shot.
    Was this an animation error or at some point in development did Kayo have white sleeves?

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...8&d=1324730445

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...kayohelmet.jpg

Many thanks in advance.
    Sorry, but I can't speak to that. Animation was done at KKC&D Studios in Tokyo and while I had a significant influence on storyboards, this type of element was not one I was engaged in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam26 View Post
    Jack,

I re-listened to the MastersCast interview you recommended. And since you expressed interest in my opinion on the interview I will include it plus another question since you definitely answered my first questions with very pleasant results.

My question comes firstly here.

1) I noticed that the very beginning episodes of New Adventures are very intricately tied together in their sequel based continuity. 5 total I counted but I welcome correction on my count. But did you want it to possibly have, if not a theatrical release, a video feature film release?

I found it very informative again. I noticed myself listening just as intently to that as I would a great audiobook. The only difference was I had no desire to fall asleep to this on second listening like I have my other audio collections lol. I also appreciated hearing how gracious and grateful you were/are to the He-Fans and our passions for the incarnation you happened to have greatest involvement in. It made me feel that if I couldn't talk to you thru phone or in person myself, that you were talking to me even though you answered interview based queries. By the way, if I had the ability to just talk turkey with you directly vocally it would just rule. Ah. One last question. Just thought of it.

2) Each incarnation of He-Man has it's fair share of comic relief characters to be sure. But you took huge steps for a more serious series for He-Man and it seems to me that you didn't really want a "comic" character or characters at all. Is this a fair assumption? Did you want to keep it fully in a more serious mode and leave out the gags and pratfalls?

There. I will end my long winded section here. Thank you again very much.
    Mattel asked that the series be episodic -- i.e., an on-going dramatic continuation from one episode to the next -- and it was something I loved. The first five episodes were a part of my original deal with them to write a series bible and five-part mini-series. I believe the thinking was that of they didn't want to do a pick-up for the entire 65 episodes, then at least they'd have a five-parter or something they could combine for a two-part MOW. As an interesting aside, after the five-parter was produced, it was premiered at MGM's theater in Culver Studio to an audience of 1,500 screaming kids. Attending that premiere was one of the high-points of my career at that time. We also had a live-action He-man and Skeletor duking it out on the stage prior to the film starting.

Shortly thereafter we got the pick-up for the entire 65 episodes. I'd like to point out that while it's technically correct that NA was one season, the fact is that Saturday morning shows are thirteen episodes. So in essence we had a buy for five seasons. Writing the series bible and thirty-seven episodes in a span of seventeen weeks was sort of like my experience in the USAF survival training when I was prepping to be a medic in a helicopter search and rescue team many years ago -- it's something I was glad I went through, but I certainly wouldn't want to do again.

As for comedy relief, I'm sure some would argue with you about NA, pointing out that NA's Skelly was more comedic than he was in previous incarnations. And then there was the scientists... Personally I enjoyed making Skelly a bit more comic. (Don't get me started on the scientists. For sure if there was a second season they would have been gone.)

As for talking directly, it's why I'm going to The Power-Con in September -- to interact with fans. I hope you'll be there and thank you for your kind words about NA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Master View Post
    Why was the premise of the show changed from the premise of the minicomics? For example: in the minicomics, the starship Eternia is the time machine, Skeletor tricks its crew into absorbing the energy of Castle Grayskull and Adam transforms in front of him, surprised of his new form. In the cartoon, this does not happen, and He-Man already looks different before the main events are kickstarted. The same for Skeletor: in the minicomics he eventually gets to look different because he is caught in a power explosion that leaves him burned and cures himself with cybernetic parts; in the cartoon, he is already a cyborg in the beginning.
    Was a case of lack of communications between you and Mattel, or did Mattel order the changes from the minicomics?

The NA commercials include live-action scenes with actors playing He-Man and Skeletor. Was there ever any talk about a NA feature film or live-action TV series?
    A lot of fans have asked about the mini-comics and the truth is that Mattel didn't make me aware of them at their initial presentation of the toy line to me and I didn't even know about the comics prior to my involvement on he-man.org. I created the series bible and the episodes on the basis of what I was presented by Mattel. I don't know what their reasons were for distancing themselves from the mini-comics, but apparently they did in a number of episode. Perhaps Toy-Guru will have an answer.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; August 5, 2012 at 12:51pm.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Great questions.

The classic characters are gone because Mattel wanted to create an entirely new line of chactacters, thinking that the old line was the at a saturation point for collectors -- e.g., how many MAA action and Beastman figures can you collect? Therefore, they elimated the old characters and created new ones, hopnig to create sales of new figs.

I discussed this and many other issues when I was interviewed in the Masterscast Episode 28 podcast. You might find it interesting and thanks for being a fan:

Thanks for the link! A very informative episode
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by ˛He-Ro View Post
    Hi Jack!!!

Here my Next Questions:

2.) From where comes this Cristal and his Power ?

3.) Want Mattel you wirte a story for Change look or was this your own idea for this story ?

4.) Is Sebrian the First or the Family name of Master Sebrian ?
    5.) How old is Drissy by meet He-Man first time ?

INFO:

"Sword & Staff" this is one of my favorit Episodes!!!! ... i think this Episode is a Important Episode for the Global Story of NA.
    Another one written by you is Episode 7, i really love this episode !
    I need a Brush who made pictures come life or i want this posibility to made moved Pictures (like an Anigif) he he heeee
    I'm going to try to answer these questions as well as I can, although I think we've got a little language barrier here. And believe me, I'm delighted you're writing in English because you don't want to see me try to write German.

1. You need to refresh my memory as to how I let him lie. Remember I wrote these episodes a long, long time ago.

2. The same for the crystal. However, his power comes from his internal essence of good. Many are aware of my theological nature and how I've intepretted He-man in my own mind, without trying to preach to others. In a general sense, however, He-man's power derives from the fact that Good is a 'force' (with apologies to George Lucas) that can be drawn upon.

3. It was Mattel's decision. Who was I to argue? They were writing the checks.

4. Sebrian was his family name; not his first name.

5. Drissi was about 25 in Earth years -- roughly the age of my former wife, who Drissi she patterned after, at the time I met her. 'Drissi', by the way, was a term of affection I used toward my former wife.

A fan, not a nostalgic
    He-Man lies all the time: every time he says or implies that he and Adam are two different people. The answer to "Why does he lie" is "because sometimes lying necessary to get things done", and that is something I understood even as a kid. A hero who is so obsessed with not lying that he constantly fails to get things done wouls be a poor hero indeed.
    Last edited by Devil Master; August 16, 2012 at 11:17am.

Look at this. I go away for a mini-vacation and come back to find you've pushed this thread to over 40,000 views.

Well, as always when it hits another ten thousand milestone, I want to send out a big thanks to all that visit -- both those who like NA and those who don't -- for continuing interest in this thread. As I've frequently said, writers, producers and directors are nothing without the fans and this is one guy that's very grateful for fans and is delighted to be here to interact with all of you.

Thanks for being here, and onward to 50,000!

thanks for answer Jack (i have fear you over read me)

wow 40.000 views is heavy ^_^

to 1.)
    He-Man lies all the time: every time he says or implies that he and Adam are two different people. The answer to "Why does he lie" is "because sometimes lying necessary to get things done", and that is something I understood even as a kid. A hero who is so obsessed with not lying that he constantly fails to get things done wouls be a poor hero indeed.
    Ok this lie is need to protect others! But in New Adventure he is free from this Adam / He-Man lie and Adam feel not good with!
    (best example is the secred of words Movie when he can fight as Adam he feel much better ! )

Jack i mean when He-Man said he will be a partner of Skeletor

to 2.) i mean the crystal who give Skeletor more Power of Evil!

to 3.) this was await but it was a good idea and i love this episode!

to 4.)
    4. Sebrian was his family name; not his first name.
    Can you tell me the first name of him ? *please*

to 5.) Drissi was about 25 in Earth years ? she looks in the cartoon younger, but it gives people who looks very young.

Next Questions:

6.) Give it a planned age for Adam / He-Man in NA ? ( in the last Vintage MOTU episodes he was 20 - 22 )

7.) why gives holes in the protection schield from Primus ?
    --- MOTUC need now General Darius --- Darius as MOTUC Topic

...if you are He-Ro˛ - Son of He-Man and MOTU Fan join the SoH Group

Like Cher and Madonna, Sebrian only has one name.

He-man is close to the age he was when he left Eternia. So probably around 25. (People age more slowly in television.)

As for the holes, they are necessary to allow admittance to friendly visitors -- such as He-man -- and also for pilots like Hydron and Flipshot to be able to leave on interstellar missions.

thanks for answer Jack (i have fear you over read me)

wow 40.000 views is heavy ^_^

to 1.)

Ok this lie is need to protect others! But in New Adventure he is free from this Adam / He-Man lie and Adam feel not good with!
    (best example is the secred of words Movie when he can fight as Adam he feel much better ! )

Jack i mean when He-Man said he will be a partner of Skeletor

to 2.) i mean the crystal who give Skeletor more Power of Evil!

to 3.) this was await but it was a good idea and i love this episode!

to 4.)

Can you tell me the first name of him ? *please*

to 5.) Drissi was about 25 in Earth years ? she looks in the cartoon younger, but it gives people who looks very young.

Next Questions:

6.) Give it a planned age for Adam / He-Man in NA ? ( in the last Vintage MOTU episodes he was 20 - 22 )

7.) why gives holes in the protection schield from Primus ?

Hi Jack.
    I noticed in New Adventures mini comics Adam already had his "New Adventures Power Sword".
    Just wondering how He's sword is already transformed before he do his own personal transfomation into New Advantures He-Man. Do you have idea how this happend?

Quote Originally Posted by Jyrki View Post
    Hi Jack.
    I noticed in New Adventures mini comics Adam already had his "New Adventures Power Sword".
    Just wondering how He's sword is already transformed before he do his own personal transfomation into New Advantures He-Man. Do you have idea how this happend?
    I was not aware of the mini-comics until I came on the board, so I don't know the answer to your query. Sorry.

Best,

Jack

Thank you for reply, Jack