Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Olesker's Thread: "You've Got Questions, I've Got Answers"

Master of New Adventures!
    Slushy has worn his helmet for so long that he's 'institutionalized'. It's a kind of security blanket for him and even in the safe environment of the Quagmi Swamp he'll keep it on. As for Felka, she's evolved to the point that she's become amphibious. And as the Country song says, "That's my story and I'm stickin' to it."

Btw, I'm envious of your living in Finland. While I've never been there I have several friends that have and they rave about that beautiful country and its wonderful people.

Quote Originally Posted by pH6 View Post
    Watching some NA again...and I just realized that Slushie does not take off his helmet while on his beloved swamp. Just a matter of easier animation? And how come Felca didn't need a dome with water fron the swamp outside it? Or are these classic 'the wizard did it' -moments?
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; January 9, 2014 at 03:51pm.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    There's no question but that hindsight is always 20/20, but I do think in retrospect Mattel failed to realize the passion the fan base had for the original characters and that they just felt abandoned. A better marketing route might have been to say this was just a different adventure for He-man and that eventually he would return to Eternia. But again, that's just Monday morning quarterbacking on my part.
    Saw this great thread, and wanted to comment on this section of an earlier post from a few weeks ago.

Abandoned is the perfect word I would use for how I felt at the time New Adventures came out. And yes, Mattel failed to realize the passion we had for the original characters. It essentially begged us to forget everything we bought into (literally and figuratively) during our childhood with Masters of the Universe. It was a betrayal, at least for 7 year old me at the time.

Honestly, I think NA in itself, is not a bad cartoon. I think the problem is that it's associated as a He-Man/Skeletor cartoon. I look back, and wonder why the original He-Man and Skeletor needed to be in it. Why couldn't Mattel have just made a new fantasy line? Essentially, they did make a new fantasy line (in space), and attached the He-Man and Skeletor names to the hero and villain. I'm not sure if anything could have overthrown the TMNT express in that time period, but I think New Adventures would have gotten more respect if the toyline and cartoon had a main hero and villain with their own names and background. I bet I would have given it more of a shot, rather than feeling my favorite characters were abandoned.

Now, I apologize if my reply sounds harsh in anyway. You know how thankful I am to see your contributions here. What I just want to get at is this - I think both New Adventures and the original Masters of the Universe fans were disserviced by being lumped together as the same thing. New Adventures wasn't Masters of the Universe. It had its own adventure and style, and deserved its own beginning. Creatively, I feel like too many things are just used over and over again living off another name. I don't know how much we have to continually re-invent things. I guess there is a safety net in that, both in the minds of fans and companies.

If Masters of the Universe taught us anything, is that new stuff is exciting, and allow for a lot more creativity. New Adventures deserved that same opportunity.

Thanks for your concern, but you needn't worry about being too harsh. I'm a professional writer with over thirty years experience and more than twelve hundred episodes of TV under my belt. I not only take constructive criticism well, I welcome it.

I agree with most of your observations and that was the point of my post. I do understand the sense of betrayal that you and other fans felt with NA. You should know, however, that it was never anyone's intention to injure the fan base. I love fans and I know Mattel does as well. We took a shot, we were well-intentioned, but it didn't work out. I know the fans were disappointed. With the time, effort and heart that Mattel, Jetlag, I and others put into NA, just imagine how disappointed we were.

With regard to your point about dropping He-Man and Skeletor and trying to make NA a series with all new characters, you need to understand that Mattel was trying to do was to hedge their bet. They knew they had a much loved franchise in He-man and that fans loved the He-man/Skeletor relationship. So they thought they would take that fan base and build on it with a 'new adventure', in the process capitalizing on He-Man and Skeletor's popularity while also creating a whole new toy line -- and remember, Mattel's business is selling toys. another reason it wasn't created without He-man and Skeletor is that the entertainment industry and its executives much prefer playing it safe -- and you can't blame them considering the millions upon millions of dollars involved in creating a toy line or producing a television series. That's one reason why eight out of the top ten grossing films this year will be sequels. Sequels work and sometimes -- the Star Wars franchise for example -- one can take even some characters from old situations and place them in entirely new situations, even showing them when they were much younger than they were in previous releases, SITH for instance.

The jury's decision was in early on NA and it was nothing short of a death sentence. But as the years have gone by and many fans have given the series a second chance through the BCI collection, some of those fans have decided to grant NA a stay of execution. Hopefully I'll live long enough to see the sentence commuted and perhaps even expunged.

There does seem to be a growing feeling that NA is canon and should stand on its own as a separate adventure in the He-man universe and for this veteran writer that's heartening indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Saw this great thread, and wanted to comment on this section of an earlier post from a few weeks ago.

Abandoned is the perfect word I would use for how I felt at the time New Adventures came out. And yes, Mattel failed to realize the passion we had for the original characters. It essentially begged us to forget everything we bought into (literally and figuratively) during our childhood with Masters of the Universe. It was a betrayal, at least for 7 year old me at the time.

Honestly, I think NA in itself, is not a bad cartoon. I think the problem is that it's associated as a He-Man/Skeletor cartoon. I look back, and wonder why the original He-Man and Skeletor needed to be in it. Why couldn't Mattel have just made a new fantasy line? Essentially, they did make a new fantasy line (in space), and attached the He-Man and Skeletor names to the hero and villain. I'm not sure if anything could have overthrown the TMNT express in that time period, but I think New Adventures would have gotten more respect if the toyline and cartoon had a main hero and villain with their own names and background. I bet I would have given it more of a shot, rather than feeling my favorite characters were abandoned.

Now, I apologize if my reply sounds harsh in anyway. You know how thankful I am to see your contributions here. What I just want to get at is this - I think both New Adventures and the original Masters of the Universe fans were disserviced by being lumped together as the same thing. New Adventures wasn't Masters of the Universe. It had its own adventure and style, and deserved its own beginning. Creatively, I feel like too many things are just used over and over again living off another name. I don't know how much we have to continually re-invent things. I guess there is a safety net in that, both in the minds of fans and companies.

If Masters of the Universe taught us anything, is that new stuff is exciting, and allow for a lot more creativity. New Adventures deserved that same opportunity.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Thanks for your concern, but you needn't worry about being too harsh. I'm a professional writer with over thirty years experience and more than twelve hundred episodes of TV under my belt. I not only take constructive criticism well, I welcome it.

I agree with most of your observations and that was the point of my post. I do understand the sense of betrayal that you and other fans felt with NA. You should know, however, that it was never anyone's intention to injure the fan base. I love fans and I know Mattel does as well. We took a shot, we were well-intentioned, but it didn't work out. I know the fans were disappointed. With the time, effort and heart that Mattel, Jetlag, I and others put into NA, just imagine how disappointed we were.

With regard to your point about dropping He-Man and Skeletor and trying to make NA a series with all new characters, you need to understand that Mattel was trying to do was to hedge their bet. They knew they had a much loved franchise in He-man and that fans loved the He-man/Skeletor relationship. So they thought they would take that fan base and build on it with a 'new adventure', in the process capitalizing on He-Man and Skeletor's popularity while also creating a whole new toy line -- and remember, Mattel's business is selling toys. another reason it wasn't created without He-man and Skeletor is that the entertainment industry and its executives much prefer playing it safe -- and you can't blame them considering the millions upon millions of dollars involved in creating a toy line or producing a television series. That's one reason why eight out of the top ten grossing films this year will be sequels. Sequels work and sometimes -- the Star Wars franchise for example -- one can take even some characters from old situations and place them in entirely new situations, even showing them when they were much younger than they were in previous releases, SITH for instance.

The jury's decision was in early on NA and it was nothing short of a death sentence. But as the years have gone by and many fans have given the series a second chance through the BCI collection, some of those fans have decided to grant NA a stay of execution. Hopefully I'll live long enough to see the sentence commuted and perhaps even expunged.

There does seem to be a growing feeling that NA is canon and should stand on its own as a separate adventure in the He-man universe and for this veteran writer that's heartening indeed.
    Thank you for your reply.

Did Mattel want to build on the franchise for current and new fans, or did they want to use the old name to attract new fans? The visual departures and lack of most original characters returning (no Beast Man, Mer-Man, Ram Man, etc...) make me think they wanted new fans. It was a new He-Man for a new generation, at least in my eyes. Kids grow up fast, so with a 2-3 year layoff on top of it, it was a new decade of kids by NA's arrival, mostly (I was stuck in the middle). I can't reason how Mattel wanted to cater to old fans, as they didn't seem to do that much at all. New Adventures barely resembles Masters of the Universe in any form, other than a bad guy named Skeletor and a good guy named He-Man with a sword with brief illusions to Eternia in a few episodes and the mini-comic.

Perhaps it was my age that caused my hurt more than others. I was born in '82, essentially grew up with Masters, and do not recall my life without it. He-Man begins to fade away. My sister and I were still hoping to hear news about new figures or new cartoon episodes (I think re-runs began on USA by then). Then I hear there is a new cartoon is coming. But it's unrecognizable to me. I think the original fans who were still waiting for He-Man to come back and were still young enough to buy toys/watch cartoons, saw something that wasn't a continuation or new adventure, it was a different take, with a late late 80's style (ponytail and more anime feel). I suppose I also felt my intelligence was insulted. Who are these imposter He-Man and Skeletor? I think if I was 11 or 12 at the time, instead of 7, I would have dealt with it better. I was still deep in childhood, and essentially lost one of the most recognizable heroes/stories of my life. It was betrayal, even if not intentional. Obviously, I don't think Mattel wanted this, but I say, they should have known better.

(Now let me remove the 7 year old in me yelling from the past.)

Take solace in this. There are four things that have redeemed the NA experience for me:

1. Time - Heals all wounds, right?
    2. Experience - While New Adventures was the first, I've been disappointed way more since then in reboots or sequels/prequels (like Star Wars or the last Indiana Jones).
    3. MOTUC - The Four Horsemen have done such a WONDERFUL job fixing these figures. The original toys were awful scrunched up figures. Mattel and the Four Horsemen have done a phenomenal job putting them on par with MOTU. I can finally buy into NA as an alernate part of the universe. Something I'd never imagine.
    4. And you - It really helps to see the behind the scenes stuff and that people in some of those studios really cared. In my prior post, I want to re-iterate, NA deserved better. I don't want to start it here, but my views on rehashing properties is something I'll have to take up in the Other forum.

To me, NA doesn't deserve a death sentence. As long it gained one fan (and it did for some, there are some loyal NA'ers on here), it deserves to stay. I just don't think it can ever be fully embraced by us vintage fans, simply because it was different than Masters of the Universe, and perhaps, was the real dagger that times had changed and our He-Man was long gone. Thankfully MOTUC has helped bring that nostalgia back, and gave NA a much needed boost. NA deserved better (and original fans) for reasons stated above.

Sorry if this has already been asked before, but did they ever think of bringing She-Ra onto NA as a regular supporting character? Seems if they wanted to keep fans invested, they could have maybe drawn-in the POP audience just by having her around too...

And Mattel is doing it now, with their new NA She-Ra character in the mini comics and MOTUC toyline...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Sorry if this has already been asked before, but did they ever think of bringing She-Ra onto NA as a regular supporting character? Seems if they wanted to keep fans invested, they could have maybe drawn-in the POP audience just by having her around too...

And Mattel is doing it now, with their new NA She-Ra character in the mini comics and MOTUC toyline...
    Here...posts #25 and 27 of this thread I stumbled upon a while back might give you some answers.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...sible-Season-2
    MELIAC in MOTUC! We need a mutant, alien, cyclops, reformed baddie, sheriff in the mix!

DRAGSTOR IS COMING SOON!

Ahhh yes. Thanks.

I have a hard time imagining this potential second season being set on Eternia and starring all the old cast, though. Wouldn't that just about kill the whole space/sci-fi angle of NA by having it compete with the barbarian/magic theme of Eternia?

I can't picture Mattel happily backtracking like that, after intentionally investing in a rebrand.

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    Make me a believer!

So I'm currently watching the first episode of NA. The animation so far is impressive. Its definitely leaps and bounds over Filmation's simple cells, and reused stock animation. It kind of reminds me of work of Hanna Barbara studios and Pirates of Darkwater, which was an amazing cartoon. Its really cool in that regard. The music is also cool, and seems to have been composed with a sense of care.

The dialogue at times seems well written. Filmation often shows its target age group (5-10 maybe) with some of the jokes and gags. NA definitely seems to have been written for a slightly older age group (8-12), with a real sense of telling an exciting new story in mind, but the statements about where He-Man's power comes from sounds awkward to any fan.

Now this is where it really tanks. Some of the design choices for the characters are completely lost on me. Skeletor suffers the most with those eyes. While I can appreciate his armor and cape, something about those eyes have a knee jerk reaction for me. As for He-Man himself, I'm not crazy about the design. He just looks a little to lean for my tastes. I think the drastic design changes of two most iconic characters, and the loss of so many cartoon mainstays (which as He-Man.org has proven, are every bit as important) were the reasons this cartoon was not embraced.

"The power of Right and Good" just doesn't work at all. What happened to Grayskull? Did the creators of NA have restrictions on what they could use due to licenses? We all know that's where his power comes from, which would appeal to existing fans, and yet there is no mention of the iconic castle, with its great history. If perhaps the mysterious Castle Grayskull remained a thing of legend that could be referenced to, that would have made for a connection which would merge the two mythos, satisfying fans who are familiar with the story, and giving new fans more background on who He-Man and Skeletor are, and what drives them to do what they do.

So far the mutants don't really seem like "Masters" of anything. They didn't receive the iconic or memorable introductions as with Beastman or Evil Lyn did in the Filmation series. Their abilities are not defined, and their personalities seem flat. So far they are just thugs, incapable of holding their own in a fight or being a threat to anyone. Its weird that Skeletor is second chair to Flogg, when he powerful enough to destroy all the mutants and take over their ship. I just can't get behind it. With its beautiful animation, NA had the chance to really showcase existing MOTU characters in a way that Filmation's simple low budget animation could not.

I'll have to watch a few more episodes before I pass final judgement, but it seems it was just too much of a departure from the original cartoon to even be called He-Man. Hence the divide that still continues. As a stand alone sci-fi/fantasy 80s cartoon, its actually not bad, but so far, there is nothing beyond the dropping of the names He-Man and Skeletor that even connects it to the magic of the Filmation series. Every time TMNT, Spider-Man or Transformers was reinvented and successful with cartoons and toys, many elements remained the same. What wasn't broken did not need to be fixed.

Is it just another example of Mattel mishandling the media of a property that could have been a second gold rush for them?
    Last edited by CapricornDefender; April 1, 2014 at 03:08am.
    Bugul Noz: The Glorious Hunter
    "So why Oo-Lar? The answer is simple. We really couldn't afford to put boots on He-Man, or sculpt exciting new bracers or armor components. We're just too broke. In a first for any figure- bare feet."

I think you'll get answers to a lot of your questions if you listen to this podcast:

http://masterscast.com/?p=46

The issue of the source of He-man's power/Castle Grayskull has come up before. I'll restate my answer here. When on Eternia, He-man drew his power from Grayskull. My feelings about his now being on Primus, in relationship to Grayskull, were twofold. First, I felt that because he had moved so far away from Grayskull in both time and space that it would be difficult for him to draw upon that power source for his strength, so I wanted to create a new power source. Moreover, it was my personal decision to make He-man somewhat more dependent on his intellect than his strength.

As for the art decision -- Skelly's eyes, etc. -- that was entirely in the hands of the studio in Tokyo so I get a Get out of Jail free card on that one.

The podcast goes into detail about my feeling that NA was a separate adventure of He-man, as well as Mattel's motivation for separating him from Eternia, family and friends. I hope you enjoy it. I look forward to more of your opinions, comments and criticisms about the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by CapricornDefender View Post
    Make me a believer!

So I'm currently watching the first episode of NA. The animation so far is impressive. Its definitely leaps and bounds over Filmation's simple cells, and reused stock animation. It kind of reminds me of work of Hanna Barbara studios and Pirates of Darkwater, which was an amazing cartoon. Its really cool in that regard. The music is also cool, and seems to have been composed with a sense of care.

The dialogue at times seems well written. Filmation often shows its target age group (5-10 maybe) with some of the jokes and gags. NA definitely seems to have been written for a slightly older age group (8-12), with a real sense of telling an exciting new story in mind, but the statements about where He-Man's power comes from sounds awkward to any fan.

Now this is where it really tanks. Some of the design choices for the characters are completely lost on me. Skeletor suffers the most with those eyes. While I can appreciate his armor and cape, something about those eyes have a knee jerk reaction for me. As for He-Man himself, I'm not crazy about the design. He just looks a little to lean for my tastes. I think the drastic design changes of two most iconic characters, and the loss of so many cartoon mainstays (which as He-Man.org has proven, are every bit as important) were the reasons this cartoon was not embraced.

"The power of Right and Good" just doesn't work at all. What happened to Grayskull? Did the creators of NA have restrictions on what they could use due to licenses? We all know that's where his power comes from, which would appeal to existing fans, and yet there is no mention of the iconic castle, with its great history. If perhaps the mysterious Castle Grayskull remained a thing of legend that could be referenced to, that would have made for a connection which would merge the two mythos, satisfying fans who are familiar with the story, and giving new fans more background on who He-Man and Skeletor are, and what drives them to do what they do.

So far the mutants don't really seem like "Masters" of anything. They didn't receive the iconic or memorable introductions as with Beastman or Evil Lyn did in the Filmation series. Their abilities are not defined, and their personalities seem flat. So far they are just thugs, incapable of holding their own in a fight or being a threat to anyone. Its weird that Skeletor is second chair to Flogg, when he powerful enough to destroy all the mutants and take over their ship. I just can't get behind it. With its beautiful animation, NA had the chance to really showcase existing MOTU characters in a way that Filmation's simple low budget animation could not.

I'll have to watch a few more episodes before I pass final judgement, but it seems it was just too much of a departure from the original cartoon to even be called He-Man. Hence the divide that still continues. As a stand alone sci-fi/fantasy 80s cartoon, its actually not bad, but so far, there is nothing beyond the dropping of the names He-Man and Skeletor that even connects it to the magic of the Filmation series. Every time TMNT, Spider-Man or Transformers was reinvented and successful with cartoons and toys, many elements remained the same. What wasn't broken did not need to be fixed.

Is it just another example of Mattel mishandling the media of a property that could have been a second gold rush for them?
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 1, 2014 at 01:44pm.

I just listened to the podcast, it was interesting.

While I completely understand the choices to do something different and appreciate them, as I said, the fact that it was so completely different is probably why it was so lost on the fan base. The reasons for separating He-Man from Eternia, seemed to make sense from a toy selling perspective, but it just didn't work.

The 1980's movie receives the same criticisms. Most of the harshest negative comments I see are about the costume designs, and in some cases, the Earth storyline. Personally I think the costumes were beautifully made. As for the Earth storyline, well go back and watch Filmation. 80% of Filmation material just couldn't fly in an real life action feature. Unless you wanted the He-Man movie to look like an episode of MADtv.

People often make some unfair comparison to Star Wars, because of the look of the guards and the laser blasters. I've yet to see a truly well thought out critique that doesn't attack the film with unfair biases towards Filmation authenticity. However the 1980 film stays incredibly true to the source material, and even today holds up as a film made with care.

NA has its charms, but even with an open mind, its really hard include it into MOTU. It seems like an entirely different animal.
    Last edited by CapricornDefender; April 1, 2014 at 12:39pm.
    "So why Oo-Lar? The answer is simple. We really couldn't afford to put boots on He-Man, or sculpt exciting new bracers or armor components. We're just too broke. In a first for any figure- bare feet."

Aside from the business aspect, my personal feeling is that it made complete sense for He-man to leave family and friends because he was called to help an entire people that needed him. As I said in the podcast, it is something that our own brave and courageous service men and women do on a daily basis. I believe the sacrifice was very much in keeping with He-man's character.

At the end of the day, it was a 'new adventure' for him.

Quote Originally Posted by CapricornDefender View Post
    I just listened to the podcast, it was interesting.

While I completely understand the choices to do something different and appreciate them, as I said, the fact that it was so completely different is probably why it was so lost on the fan base. The reasons for separating He-Man from Eternia, seemed to make sense from a toy selling perspective, but it just didn't work.

The 1980's movie receives the same criticisms. Most of the harshest negative comments I see are about the costume designs, and in some cases, the Earth storyline. Personally I think the costumes were beautifully made. As for the Earth storyline, well go back and watch Filmation. 80% of Filmation material just couldn't fly in an real life action feature. Unless you wanted the He-Man movie to look like an episode of MADtv.

People often make some unfair comparison to Star Wars, because of the look of the guards and the laser blasters. I've yet to see a truly well thought out critique that doesn't attack the film with unfair biases towards Filmation authenticity. However the 1980 film stays incredibly true to the source material, and even today holds up as a film made with care.

NA has its charms, but even with an open mind, its really hard include it into MOTU. It seems like an entirely different animal.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 1, 2014 at 10:32pm.

Hi Jack, please could you clear this up for myself and all the other New Adventures fans.

I am sick of hearing that the New Adventures cartoon is a "Star Wars rip off" and find myself constantly defending it against that accusation.

It is my belief that, as well as of course not being a rip off of anything, the toys and cartoon were a product of the time and Mattel's desire to move away from the previous fantasy-based incarnation of He-Man.

I have argued that when the toy line and cartoon were produced circa 1989/1990, the Star Wars franchise had waned to the point that it wouldn't have made much if any financial sense to take any major influence from Star Wars; it's not like that franchise was printing money at the time. I see very little SW influence myself and get frustrated when it is dismissed in this way.

So, to clarify once and for all, were you given or did you indeed take any direct influence from Star Wars, in terms of character or story?
    Was SW ever mentioned as an influence or something that the designers looked to for inspiration?
    Indeed was there any mention of SW at all in any of your time on the project?
    My feeling would be no, but only you can answer this.

As lead writer and key contributor to the New Adventures series, please put this to bed for us.

Apologies if you've addressed this before and I missed it.
    Thanks and also thank you for continuing to converse with the fan base.
    Last edited by paulioscorchio; April 1, 2014 at 08:01pm.
    THE KEY! GET THE KEY!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Aside from the business aspect, my personal feeling is that it made complete sense for He-man to leave family and friends because he was called to help an entire people that needed him. As I said in the podcast, it is something that our own brave and courageous service men and women do on a daily basis. I believe the sacrifice was very much in keeping with He-man's character.

It the end of the day, it was a 'new adventure' for him.
    Yes you had said that, and I agree with you. It is definately within his character. The universe is a big place, and taking He-Man away from Eternia to aid another people in another place and time is a fantastic concept. Its too bad you weren't able to continue into the second season with his return to Eternia.

I just feel that the drastic design changes, coupled with the unfamiliarity of the new characters, and perhaps its release so close to the end of the original. These factors contributed to its poor reception and eventual failure. That is really the only point I'm trying to make. If things had gone differently, maybe it would have meant a new life for MOTU, but it just wasn't the case. Spider-Man and the X-Men have recieved numerous animated incarnations, each with varying degrees of success, but even the most drastic changes to the characters costumes (which seems to always work for comic book characters, I've yet to settle on my fav costumes for any number of hereos), they still always stuck close to home.

I feel that if NA either chose 1 element that was familiar, either A: Existing characters with some minor visual tweaks and a whole new universe, or new characters in Eternia, it may have fared better.

Love it or hate it, NA wasn't a bad cartoon. I guess it just was too left field to be accepted by the hardcore fan community.
    Last edited by CapricornDefender; April 1, 2014 at 09:29pm.

Thanks for the question. Whether people like NA or dislike it, I believe most fans on the board know that while I certainly appreciate praise, I also welcome civil criticism. I also think most fans also know I've been forthcoming and 100% honest in all my answers.

With that said, I can tell you categorically that at no time was Star Wars ever mentioned to me by anyone at Mattel. As for myself, I personally tried to distance myself from that beloved franchise out of my deep and abiding respect for it.

I think one of the problems is that some of the characters -- and I confess that with the passage of time I cannot recall which -- were dressed in uniforms that resembled those of Star Wars' Galactic Storm Troopers. I do recall seeing it at the time and thinking "Whoa!" That, however, was entirely a choice by KKC&D animation studio in Tokyo.

There's no question that anything that has to do with space will have some minor elements that one can relate to another previous space franchise, just as there were elements in Star Wars that could probably be linked in minor ways to Star Trek, Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers. But there's a big difference between sharing a genre and ripping off a franchise.

Again, I was never given any directions as far as Star Wars was concerned. Imo, detractors of NA, whose often well- stated opinions I respect and have from time to time gained from, have plenty of ammo at their disposal without having to bring Star Wars into it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulioscorchio View Post
    Hi Jack, please could you clear this up for myself and all the other New Adventures fans.

I am sick of hearing that the New Adventures cartoon is a "Star Wars rip off" and find myself constantly defending it against that accusation.

It is my belief that, as well as of course not being a rip off of anything, the toys and cartoon were a product of the time and Mattel's desire to move away from the previous fantasy-based incarnation of He-Man.

I have argued that when the toy line and cartoon were produced circa 1989/1990, the Star Wars franchise had waned to the point that it wouldn't have made much if any financial sense to take any major influence from Star Wars; it's not like that franchise was printing money at the time. I see very little SW influence myself and get frustrated when it is dismissed in this way.

So, to clarify once and for all, were you given or did you indeed take any direct influence from Star Wars, in terms of character or story?
    Was SW ever mentioned as an influence or something that the designers looked to for inspiration?
    Indeed was there any mention of SW at all in any of your time on the project?
    My feeling would be no, but only you can answer this.

As lead writer and key contributor to the New Adventures series, please put this to bed for us.

Apologies if you've addressed this before and I missed it.
    Thanks and also thank you for continuing to converse with the fan base.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 1, 2014 at 10:29pm.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    A couple of friends and I were discussing Crita, and a question has arisen on whether she is a magic user or not. I don't think she was, but rather a skilled fighter and tactician, as well as having some knowledge of technology. They point to her having a scepter and ring that shot what look like magic blasts. I think those are tech items myself, but thought there was no better person to ask the question to than you
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Thanks for the question, Barezz. The short answer is that she did not use magic. The scepter and ring were able to shoot blasts because of technology rather than magic. That said, my Crita did have a sort of 'magic' in the sense that all powerful, self-confident women do. She was intelligent, self-assured, a skilled warrior, always able to hold her own with Skelly and frequently bend him to her will, the true magic perhaps residing in her ability to do so without him being aware of it. Truth be told, every time I think of her she does the same thing to me. Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    A couple of friends and I were discussing Crita, and a question has arisen on whether she is a magic user or not. I don't think she was, but rather a skilled fighter and tactician, as well as having some knowledge of technology. They point to her having a scepter and ring that shot what look like magic blasts. I think those are tech items myself, but thought there was no better person to ask the question to than you

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Thanks for the question, Barezz. The short answer is that she did not use magic. The scepter and ring were able to shoot blasts because of technology rather than magic. That said, my Crita did have a sort of 'magic' in the sense that all powerful, self-confident women do. She was intelligent, self-assured, a skilled warrior, always able to hold her own with Skelly and frequently bend him to her will, the true magic perhaps residing in her ability to do so without him being aware of it. Truth be told, every time I think of her she does the same thing to me. Sigh...
    She is such a great character, and I hope she graces the MOTUC line next year
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I just read somewhere that Filmation had originally hoped to make/was tasked with making the NA series at the outset, before it ultimately went to another studio...true? How much time did they spend on the project before losing it? Or did they simply pitch some materials for their take on the more sci-fi show?

I honestly have no idea. When Jetlag and Mattel approached me to develop the series they made no mention of any other studio being involved previously. That's not to say no other studio took a shot; only that I was unaware of it if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I just read somewhere that Filmation had originally hoped to make/was tasked with making the NA series at the outset, before it ultimately went to another studio...true? How much time did they spend on the project before losing it? Or did they simply pitch some materials for their take on the more sci-fi show?

Hey Mr. Olesker

I always wanted to know why the outfits for Mara and Crita where changed? Had that been only a plot idea/development or was Mattel behind that idea so they can make figures out of them?
    We know of Maras prototype figure but i always wondered if Crita was scheduled as a figure as well done the line?

Best wishes from Hamburg,
    Niki
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Danke. Und Liebe Grube an Sie aus Amerika.

Niki, I wasn't involved in the art process, with the exception of reviewing storyboards. Once the series was in production most art decisions were made by KKC&D Studios in Tokyo. It is possible that you are right that Mattel asked the studio to make the change to drive toy sales. But because I wasn't involved in that process it's conjecture on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Hey Mr. Olesker

I always wanted to know why the outfits for Mara and Crita where changed? Had that been only a plot idea/development or was Mattel behind that idea so they can make figures out of them?
    We know of Maras prototype figure but i always wondered if Crita was scheduled as a figure as well done the line?

Best wishes from Hamburg,
    Niki

Danke. Und Liebe Grube an Sie aus Amerika.

Niki, I wasn't involved in the art process, with the exception of reviewing storyboards. Once the series was in production most art decisions were made by KKC&D Studios in Tokyo. It is possible that you are right that Mattel asked the studio to make the change to drive toy sales. But because I wasn't involved in that process it's conjecture on my part.

Thank you for you answer.

To bad but at least you confirm this theory isnīt totally out of place. In the end we will never know and it doesīt matter since there were no toys of them any way…thatīs why iīm looking forward to Mara now even more and i hope we get a Crita MOTUC figure as well. She and you totally deserve that honor!
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

What do you know..there is an official publication with a pic of Slushie WITHOUT the dome.
    Last edited by pH6; August 16, 2014 at 02:53am. Reason: came in twice
    "She-Ra, Princess of Power was no more. That had been the price of freedom."

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    I tried sending you a PM, but looks like you need a secretary because your box is full!

I'm a visual person so I normally see who has posted just by viewing someone's avatar instead of reading their user name. I've always wondered why you have never chosen to have one. Oddly I do graphics and I write so I guess my brain works on both sides. My wife might disagree with that statement.

Just thought I would give it a shot trying to create you an avatar in case you had just never found an avatar to your liking. You will not offend me in the slightest if you choose not to use it!

Have a great holiday weekend!

http://imgur.com/PlmylxP
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

I'm rarely offended by fans.

My PM box gets filled up a lot with PMs. I try to free it up as often as I can.

As for an avatar, I'm a very low tech guy, so I wouldn't know how to create one. I'm also a pretty humble guy, so the one you were nice enough to create for me seems a bit too boastful for me. But thanks for thinking of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    I tried sending you a PM, but looks like you need a secretary because your box is full!

I'm a visual person so I normally see who has posted just by viewing someone's avatar instead of reading their user name. I've always wondered why you have never chosen to have one. Oddly I do graphics and I write so I guess my brain works on both sides. My wife might disagree with that statement.

Just thought I would give it a shot trying to create you an avatar in case you had just never found an avatar to your liking. You will not offend me in the slightest if you choose not to use it!

Have a great holiday weekend!

http://imgur.com/PlmylxP