Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 473

Thread: Olesker's Thread: "You've Got Questions, I've Got Answers"

  1. #26
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    I see, so that is why almost every classic character was kept on hold. That makes alot of sense ,the new characters needed the spotlight and the exposure but don't you think this desicion might have been the reason NA He-man felt like a totally different property back in the early 90s?
    People instead of considering it MOTU cannon felt betrayed. This is not my personal opinion cause I think you made a tremendous job with it and it most've been very hard to please everyone at the time specially since Mattel wanted to change the concept so drastically. I consider it MOTU canon because you respected many aspects of the classic while giving us the New adventures that needed to be told.

    I am sorry but I am going to throw just another question at you.
    This is regarding the Power Sword, in NA it got new powers never seen before in the classic series and was turned it into a better weapon. Was this your idea or Mattel suggested it?
    Thanks again Jack!!
    I know it felt like a totally different series, Mike, and in part it was supposed to. What always bothered me was that loyal MOTU fans felt (understandably) betrayed. In this regard, I thought Mattel made a huge marketing mistake in not rolling out N/A differently. I thought, long before the first episode aired, they should have prepared the legion of MOTU fans for what was coming, rather than just thrusting it upon them. I also felt, if they liked my idea about Season Two, that we should have let those same fans know that we planned on returning to Eternia in Season Two. In this way 1) the shock wouldn't be so great when they found out He-man was going into the distant future because at least they'd be prepared for the change and 2) they would realize that we weren't ditching Eternia but merely taking an excursion from it, with plans to return to the great characters who existed there, in so doing adding in exciting new characters.

    Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

    Regarding the Power Sword, I'll thank you for your comments and note that a lot of fans didn't like its new powers. I'll humbly take credit -- or blame, depending upon your point of view -- for the new powers. My feeling was that He-man was going on an epic journey, not only through space but through time as well. So, using a bit of creative license, I wanted his sword to be affected by it -- hence the new powers. I also hoped it would freshen up things a bit.

    You know, while I'm on the subject of 'freshening up' things, I want to say a few words on that point. I know there's been a lot of spirited debate on this thread about Skeletor in particular. Now I'm not going to get into his eyes or his voice, since I didn't have anything to do with that. But I did have everything to do with Skeletor's personality in N/A. I hoped to add to his already strong personality and give it a few new twists. A lot of fans liked the fact that I gave Skelly a sense of wry humor and had him occasionally deliver a wisecrack. A lot of fans also throught it was pure sacrilege. Personally, I had a lot of fun with it. I felt it made the character more dimensional and layered. I can tell you that when I sat down to write each day that it was Skeletor who I looked forward to hanging out with for ten-to-twelve hours.

    Of course that's a personal observation, and the debate about whether or not it was the right decision will continue. But I think there's a secondary point to consider here -- and one I admittedly had not thought about when I quite consciously made the Skeletor decision. And here's that secondary point: Because the opinions are divided, strong debate has erupted. And it's in that debate that He-man fans show their passion -- on either side of the debate. I think that's very healthy, because it keeps the fires of excitement about this extraordinary and much beloved franchise burning bright. And I think all fans who are arguing the Skeletor issue are to be applauded -- whether they agree with and enjoyed my decision or vehemently and articulately oppose it -- because it shows they are devoted fans who hold strongly to their opinions. Fortunate the series to have such fans after so many years. Fortunate, indeed, the writer to be involved with such a series and with such fans.

  2. #27
    A big fan of Slush Head
    Mike Bock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Quagmi swamp
    Posts
    9,166
    Thanks for answering my questions Jack.
    Oh and by the way I love Skeletor in NA he is hilarious.

  3. #28
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,451
    Quote Originally Posted by HeManOfGreyskull View Post
    Any chance once you get the DVDs you could do a sort of directors commentary as you watch them, either by print or podcast? That would be cool to see.
    I'd be happy to do that in whatever delivery format the fans would desire.

  4. #29
    B-2 Crew Chief heman4myson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Whiteman AFB, MO
    Posts
    2,266
    I haven't seen the answer maybe I have just overlooked it.

    Is Primus and Eternia the same? I belive they are but there are some who don't?

  5. #30
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,451
    Quote Originally Posted by TIRPITZ View Post
    Another character specific question, about Darius. That character was supposed to be in the first wave of figures, and was shown on the back of the cards. He was also prominently featured in early NA materials, like the UK Annuals... He was portrayed as the leader of the Galactic Guardians, and a very important character, a cross between Man-At-Arms and King Randor...
    Yet, he never appeared in the cartoon.

    Was Darius ever intended to be introduced in the series, of did Mattel just cancelled the figure, therefore not allowing the character to be used ?
    Did Mattel ever give you a reason why they cancelled the figure/character ?
    Simple answer for this one, Tirpitz: He was never presented to me at the formal presentation of the toy-line, thus, he never appeared in the series. This happens frequently as a toy-line develops -- i.e., characters are introduced early, featured in comics or other delivery systems that approximate something resembling focus groups. Decisions are made to cull some characters from the line before the animated series is released. It's not always because a character isn't popular. Rather, it's kind of like try-outs for the University of Nebraska football team. (Sorry, but my wife is an NU graduate and I'll score points for plugging the team here.) You get a couple hundred athletes trying out for the team and most of them are fantastic or they wouldn't be there in the first place. But only a small portion is allowed by the NCAA to actually be on the team. Same deal here.

  6. #31
    Tri-Solar Lord Oceanwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,010
    Hey Jack, so is Primus and Eternia the same world? If so, what changed in the future to make it the Tri-Solar Galaxy?
    Thanks!

  7. #32
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    Hey Jack, so is Primus and Eternia the same world? If so, what changed in the future to make it the Tri-Solar Galaxy?
    Thanks!
    I know there's been a lot of debate about this prior to my coming onto the forum. In one of my earliest posts, I gave the definitive answer and I'll give it here: Primus and Eternia are two entirely different planets. That's the way I created them and I did it that way because I didn't want the idea to be derivative of PLANET OF THE APES.

    So that's really the final word on some very interesting conjecture from a lot of N/A fans.

  8. #33
    Tri-Solar Lord Oceanwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I know there's been a lot of debate about this prior to my coming onto the forum. In one of my earliest posts, I gave the definitive answer and I'll give it here: Primus and Eternia are two entirely different planets. That's the way I created them and I did it that way because I didn't want the idea to be derivative of PLANET OF THE APES.

    So that's really the final word on some very interesting conjecture from a lot of N/A fans.
    Just asking cuz' in the 1st episode, the two Guardians think they haven't even went anywhere when they first appear in Eternia.

    And when they go back to the future, it looks like time passes and we see changes on the landscape.

  9. #34
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsmiler View Post
    I'm not being contrary but there are clear similiarities between the NA Teela and She-ra.
    Teela originally did have striking red hair.

    ***Please read and follow the forum rules about back-to-back posting***
    I never said I thought you were being contrary. Actually, a lot of fans have made the same points you made about Teela and She-ra and I agree with many of them. I jokingly suggested in one post that a woman has a right to change her look if she wishes and maybe Teela had a make-over a la SINGLE WHITE FEMALE 'cause she so admires She-ra.

    The truth is, the only input I had on artwork was to review the storyboards, which weren't in color. Final responsibility for the artwork rested with the studio in Tokyo, so I can't make definitive comments about their motivation. I am, instead, left to speculate like all other fans.

  10. #35
    Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    Just asking cuz' in the 1st episode, the two Guardians think they haven't even went anywhere when they first appear in Eternia.

    And when they go back to the future, it looks like time passes and we see changes on the landscape.
    I am speculating here, but having watched the first two episodes on DVD...

    I think that the two Guardians don't seem to think they went anywhere because to them it probably didn't seem like they moved at all (it didn't seem like they were given much detail about how it would feel to travel through time, etc before actually doing so). Plus, they left a generally peaceful, grassy part of Primus and landed on a generally peace, grassy part of Eternia. So, at first glance, it would seem like they didn't go anywhere (meaning it seemed like they didn't move in time or space, not just one or the other), when in reality they did.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  11. #36
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Final responsibility for the artwork rested with the studio in Tokyo, so I can't make definitive comments about their motivation. I am, instead, left to speculate like all other fans.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they actually looked at She-Ra thinking it was Teela and modeled her after that.

  12. #37
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,451
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horde Supreme View Post
    Hello,
    First I just want to say I've been a fan of the series since its debut and I was wanting to know were there any ideas or stories you had in mind for the mutants or the galactic guardians? One or two of the mutants going solo like a Karatti/Hoove story. To me those guys were like the Webstor/Kobra Kahn team, or background stories on particular guardians. I would have loved to see a Kayo or Artilla story.
    I'd have no problem writing an episode with Mara and Crita getting into a catfight!

    But seriously, I really would have liked to have had Caz get into a situation where he was separated from everyone and he had to go one-on-one against Flogg. (I can feel some of your cringing out there.) Well here's the reason: Someone made a post -- I believe in another thread -- that he almost gagged (my words) over yet another kid being in an action/adventure series. And I have to agree with that on the surface. The reason kids are in animated series, of course, is so very young viewers can have someone to relate to and identify with. But the problem is that Caz -- unlike The Avatar -- was never given a chance to stand on his own. Of course N/A wasn't Caz's show. But if I'd had an opportunity to have him stand alone in an episode then maybe his true personality would have come out and he would have emerged as more palatable to viewers.

    The problem is that you've only got so many pages to tell a story and you have to keep your focus on your primary characters. So in that sense I wish I could have spent a little more time on Caz.

    I think a romance story of unrequited love could have come out of Slushhead and Drissi being featured together in one episode. Slushhead -- and I dearly love old Slushy -- isn't a bad guy in the true sense, of course. He always reminded me -- and I know I'm dating myself here -- of Sgt. Garcia in the old Zorro television series. Sure, he was on the bad guys' side, but he was a good guy at heart. And sensitive Drissi would have understood that and tried to nurture Slushy.

  13. #38
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,870
    Seeing as it was brought up earlier, how come Crita was the only character from the first five episodes who wasn't in the series bible?

  14. #39
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,796
    Did you get a chance to look at the Ultimate Challenge?

  15. #40
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    Hiya... This is awesome!

    I posted this in the talk back thread but I'll just leave that there for fan speculation which is always interesting and ask you about it here.

    In the Ultimate challenge He-man appears in that statue....how did he get there? Can he teleport now is that whats going on? ALSO and this is just weird...All through the series up till now He-man has short hair adam has long and in the beginning of this ep thats the way it is.. but then at the end not only does he have long hair and a pony tail but they make a point of SHOWING us that he does a highlight that its a change... so... I don't get it... first of all why does he have long hair now... and how

    Also He-man has a lot of new abilities in the show.... what brought you to that choice... just to give him more sci fi stuff? how do you think he acquired these abilities? The ones with his sword and just his own new abilities? Would he still have these abilities on Eternia... or does he have them because he is on primus... what I mean by that is in season two when he was to go back does his sword still shoot lasers!!! :-)

    I should revise ...IS PRIMUS ETERNIA!? they never state that it isn't... usually they just talk about going into the future... I always assumes primus was eternia but SO far in the future its changed completely.
    I'll deal with your questions about The Ultimate Challenge after I've viewed the episode. (It's been a long time since I've seen them, so I need to refresh my memory a bit; just like others.)

    As for the chanage in his hair, I'd like to say something cute like "He wanted a new hairstyle" or "His hair sprouted in the new environment." But to be honest, I just don't have the answer because I wasn't involved in the artwork. Could be one of the Japanese artists just liked Steven Seagal.

    He-man's new abilities are simply a manifestation of his being on a new planet and in a new galaxy, similar to Superman acquiring new powers by virtue of his traveling from Krypton to Earth, or your being a drive a golf ball a thousand yards on the Moon. Because he had certain incredible powers on Eternia, he had certain incredible -- but different -- powers on Primus. Thus, I don't think he'd have those same powers back on Eternia, but rather would revert to what he originally had back there.

    For once and all, much as many fans would have liked it to be otherwise, Primus and Eternia are two entirely different planets.

    I hope this helps, and I'll get back to you again after I view The Ultimate Challenge. Thanks for being a fan.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; January 5, 2007 at 11:07pm. Reason: New information

  16. #41
    Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Hall of Wisdom
    Posts
    1,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    He-man's new abilities are simply a manifestation of his being on a new planet and in a new galaxy, similar to Superman acquiring new powers by virtue of his traveling from Krypton to Earth, or your being a drive a golf ball a thousand yards on the Moon. Because he had certain incredible powers on Eternia, he had certain incredible -- but different -- powers on Primus. Thus, I don't think he'd have those same powers back on Eternia, but rather would revert to what he originally had back there.
    Really? That's kind of too bad. A lot of the series seemed to deal with He-Man becoming more developed and growing as a character. As the series progressed, so too did his understanding of "the way of the magic" as the Sorceress said. I thought he was simply learning how to do all these things and developing these abilities and uses of magic. I hate to think that it's all just due to him being on a different planet.

    But anyway, my question is as follows: can you describe the different measures of time in the NA Series? How long was a "Talc?" (sp?). Since He-Man was used to years, hours, minutes, seconds, etc. on Eternia, he must have had to learn these new systems of time. How do they compare?

  17. #42
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,796
    Thanks, the hair thing I'd just chop up to the animators changing his look and thinking people might not notice .... but they really highlighted it in such a way that I thought maybe it had something to do with the plot and whats happening there at the end... when you watch the episode maybe look for this moment at the end while you watch

  18. #43
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Trinity View Post
    Really? That's kind of too bad. A lot of the series seemed to deal with He-Man becoming more developed and growing as a character. As the series progressed, so too did his understanding of "the way of the magic" as the Sorceress said. I thought he was simply learning how to do all these things and developing these abilities and uses of magic. I hate to think that it's all just due to him being on a different planet.

    But anyway, my question is as follows: can you describe the different measures of time in the NA Series? How long was a "Talc?" (sp?). Since He-Man was used to years, hours, minutes, seconds, etc. on Eternia, he must have had to learn these new systems of time. How do they compare?
    That's a well thought out point with regard to his powers and how they should progress because of his learning of the way of the magic. I'll partially go along with you on that. However, I'll still partially stick with my original point, and perhaps there's a compromise to be made between us. After all, Superman didn't need to learn anything about 'good' in order to have super strength or x-ray vision or the ability to fly. It simply came about due to his being in a solar system that had a yellow sun. On the other hand, his ability to learn how to use those powers to help others did come about from his development and learning about a code to live by. So I'd like to think that He-man received the new powers simply because he came to this new planet, but learned of the wondrous ways in which they could be used because of his learning of the ways of the magic. It's somewhat akin to the growth of a child. He gains strength, but as he grows and learns the high road on which to use that strength, he 'magically' learns how best to use it.

    As for 'telcs', I'd love to give you some esoteric explanation, but it actually pretty much translated to a year. Units of time seem to be fairly uniform in much -- although not all -- of sci-fi, I suppose because we need to have a similar time unit that we can equate to merely for the sake of understanding. So it was with the telc.

    Thanks for your incisive comments, and for giving me some food for thought.

  19. #44
    Tri-Solar Lord Oceanwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,010
    Not to be off-topic but this is pretty cool eh Jack?

    http://www.harborcountry-news.com/ar...ews/story9.txt

  20. #45
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    Not to be off-topic but this is pretty cool eh Jack?

    http://www.harborcountry-news.com/ar...ews/story9.txt
    Well it's an awful lot of fun. I've been in the editing bays for the last few weeks and we've got the rough cut finished. It looks quite good, I must say. I'm going out to PBS in February to get a pick-up for a weekly show. And next week I'm recording my knitting/romance/mystery novel, CAST ON, BET'S OFF, for download and CD. So my wife's passion for knitting has turned into an interesting sideline cottage industry for me. Kim has a long history in the entertainment industry in her own right, being an award-winning producer in her own right, creating premieres for Paramount Motion Pictures films for many years. So it's a pleasure for us to come together on an endeavor.

    Thanks for noticing and keep a good thought.

  21. #46
    Heroic Warrior musclor.fr.st's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,215
    Hi Jack !

    First I would like to thank you for creating this thread and answering everyone's questions , and thank you also for all your work and involving on NA.

    I realy love NA !!! I discover this serie 5 years ago , I knew about it but never could watched an episode before. When I watched the first episode 5 years ago I was totaly blew out by NA. I'm NA addicted since.

    My first question is , is there some scenarios of unproduced episodes ? And is there also some part of these episode that were animated but not complete ?

    Second question , did you create some new characters and MATTEL refused you to introduce them in the episodes ?

    Best regards
    Musclor

    http://www.maitresdelunivers.org aka http://www.musclor.fr.st : open!!!

    Good deals with : Markatisu , Bigdaddy51200 , Hopebrady , Zodak74 , Lady Angora , 10incher

    Click here to watch my feedbacks

  22. #47
    The Champ of 87 The Horde Supreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    51
    Thanks for answering my first question. I am really enjoying the series even more than I thought since buying the dvd set. I know you discussed the second season in going back to Eternia, but I wanted to know if you planned on bring a good amount of the cast to Eternia. If some of the Galactic Guardians or Mutants would accompany He-Man and Skeletor back home. If the you had gotten the chance to continue the series, what characters besides Man-At-Arms would you have given a good treatment (bad and good guys)?

  23. #48
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    Hiya... This is awesome!

    I posted this in the talk back thread but I'll just leave that there for fan speculation which is always interesting and ask you about it here.

    In the Ultimate challenge He-man appears in that statue....how did he get there? Can he teleport now is that whats going on? ALSO and this is just weird...All through the series up till now He-man has short hair adam has long and in the beginning of this ep thats the way it is.. but then at the end not only does he have long hair and a pony tail but they make a point of SHOWING us that he does a highlight that its a change... so... I don't get it... first of all why does he have long hair now... and how

    Also He-man has a lot of new abilities in the show.... what brought you to that choice... just to give him more sci fi stuff? how do you think he acquired these abilities? The ones with his sword and just his own new abilities? Would he still have these abilities on Eternia... or does he have them because he is on primus... what I mean by that is in season two when he was to go back does his sword still shoot lasers!!! :-)

    I should revise ...IS PRIMUS ETERNIA!? they never state that it isn't... usually they just talk about going into the future... I always assumes primus was eternia but SO far in the future its changed completely.
    Okay, I've had the chance to watch The Ultimate Challenge and I'm going to level with you: I'm extremely distressed about the ending of the episode. I can tell you, without any reservation, that I absolutely NEVER would have ended an episode in that manner. If there's one thing about me, it's that I've always absolutely insisted -- as much as I can -- on things being logical, not having loose threads and never using an easy out for an episode. To me this ending makes no sense.

    I will tell you that in the heat of creating all those episodes that I had very little time to view them as they aired. Bu I do know that I saw the entire five parter when it premiered at the MGM Theater in Culver City to 1,500 screaming kids and I have no recollection of it ending this way.

    If it really did end this way, then the storyboard artists must have taken tremendous liberties with my script and made a huge ellipse to the ending. Eighteen years after having written the script, I admit I don't recall every bit of every script. But I KNOW I didn't end it that way.

    I'm going to write to Jean Chalopin and see if he has a copy of the script. (Jean tends to hold onto everything.) If he does I'll have him send it to me and I'll post the ending on the forum.

    Either way, I'm tremendously that after the build-up of those opening episodes that the ending, in my book, comes up short in terms of logical, creativity and continuity.

  24. #49
    Fsmiler
    Guest

    Question on Opening Credits

    I'm just after watching the opening credits and I have a few queries:

    It begins:

    My name is Adam of Grayskull.....
    When good is threatened,
    By the Power of Eternia

    Should it not be the other way around? It makes far more sense..doesn't sit well with the original concepts..

    My name is Adam of Eternia
    When good is threatened
    By the power of Grayskull

    For the original Filmation fans that is amjoar blooper...any comments Jack? Don't mean to be threatening or anything only joking with you

  25. #50
    The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Placentia, CA
    Posts
    3,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsmiler View Post
    I'm just after watching the opening credits and I have a few queries:

    It begins:

    My name is Adam of Grayskull.....
    When good is threatened,
    By the Power of Eternia

    Should it not be the other way around? It makes far more sense..doesn't sit well with the original concepts..

    My name is Adam of Eternia
    When good is threatened
    By the power of Grayskull

    For the original Filmation fans that is amjoar blooper...any comments Jack? Don't mean to be threatening or anything only joking with you
    He says Power of Grayskull while in the present, Power of Eternia in the future on Primus. I'm sure Adam of Grayskull was just to keep a link to the old show.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •