Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Olesker's Thread: "You've Got Questions, I've Got Answers"

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
    Chris here...

Sorry not to be offering something more constructive to this thread (I've thought of several questions I would have liked to ask Jack, but other people have all seemingly beat me to the punch!) - but, I just wanted to confirm that The New Adventures of He-Man cartoon did indeed make its UK debut on ITV at Christmas time 1990, specifically on Christmas Eve where the first five-parter was edited together and broadcast as "The New Adventures of He-Man: The Movie"! I believe it was shown at 9:25am!

Dave is also spot on in that the second five-parter aired over here circa Easter time in the spring of 1991 - again, it was cut together to make a feature-length special!

Take care...
    That's interesting, He-Fan. I wasn't aware of that.

Before N/A hit domestic U.S. broadcast, Mattel put the first five parter together and premiered it at the MGM Theater in Culver City, California. I've mentioned this in other posts, but I'll tell you again how much fun it was to see 1,500 screaming kids going nuts over the 'movie'. Before it ran, Mattel had a live action He-man and Skeletor show up and battle on the stage.

That was a fine moment for a television writer who was unaccustomed to the pleasure of immediate feedback from fans.

Chris here...

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    That's interesting, He-Fan. I wasn't aware of that.

Before N/A hit domestic U.S. broadcast, Mattel put the first five parter together and premiered it at the MGM Theater in Culver City, California.
    Was the five-parter left uncut (save for recaps and such) when it was shown in the theater? If so, I'd be willing to bet that that's what ITV showed here in the UK that Christmas Eve!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
    Chris here...

Was the five-parter left uncut (save for recaps and such) when it was shown in the theater? If so, I'd be willing to bet that that's what ITV showed here in the UK that Christmas Eve!

Take care...

Yes, it was uncut.

Before it ran, Mattel had a live action He-man and Skeletor show up and battle on the stage.

That was a fine moment for a television writer who was unaccustomed to the pleasure of immediate feedback from fans.

Oh man! It's too bad there's probably no video/pictures of that anywhere. -- Or is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Oh man! It's too bad there's probably no video/pictures of that anywhere. -- Or is there?
    Don't I wish.

But the memories and images live on in my head. I can tell you it was one of the high points in my life. My entire life I've been so blessed to be able to work with children -- to try to entertain them, give them a positive direction and give them a few smiles. To see those kids running all over the place at the MGM Theater, to have them racing up to me and hugging me when it was announced that I'd written and created N/A was surely one of the most precious moments in my life.

Heroic Warrior
    Don't I wish.

But the memories and images live on in my head. I can tell you it was one of the high points in my life. My entire life I've been so blessed to be able to work with children -- to try to entertain them, give them a positive direction and give them a few smiles. To see those kids running all over the place at the MGM Theater, to have them racing up to me and hugging me when it was announced that I'd written and created N/A was surely one of the most precious moments in my life.
    Should have taken photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
    Should have taken photos.
    I KNEW I should have had you there to remind me!!!

A big fan of Slush Head
    I have a question Jack. Why did you prefer to write for Quakke more than characters like Optikk ? His figure was very cool but his role is too small.

Jack, I have a question concerning the season 2 you had in mind. Where would Randor and Marlena be in this Man-At-Arms dictator scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanHines View Post
    Jack, I have a question concerning the season 2 you had in mind. Where would Randor and Marlena be in this Man-At-Arms dictator scenario?
    Nice question that allows a fun answer.

With Skeletor absent, I would see Randor and Marlena held in a prison within Snake Mountain. Essentially, it places them in a domain so alien to them and I've always warmed to the concept of exile, strength gained through enduring the ordeal and then salvation and return. Imagine He-man's pain at learning they have been exiled and his quest to discover where they are being held. I could have seen He-man going on an epic journey to find them. I envisioned plots to lay siege to Skelly's old redoubt that would have rivaled The Guns of Navarone. And what incredible irony to have Randor and Marlena held prisoner in the very fortress once inhabited by He-man's old nemesis.

Imagine, next, the race being on after Skeletor learns they are being held in a place to which he alone knows secret entrances. Imagine the boundless bargaining chip he would hold if he were able to capture them himself and play them off against both He-man and Man-at-Arms. I would see the race between He-man and Skeletor to either resuce or capture them as a truly titanic five-parter, the very fate of Eternia itself hanging in the balance.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    No, I didn't see 'em; but I'd love to. Let me know, and many thanks.
    No problemo ( shameless plug really! ^^ ) Jack. Some new NA comin' right up!

Teela by BattleBrak
    -------------------

Original thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=123070&page=2

Skeletor by Battlebrak
    ----------------------

My colours: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/NASkelly.jpg

He-man by Battle_brak
    ----------------------

Jukkas colours: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...attle_brak.jpg

Just received mine and, I'm pleased to say, it's a nice break from MOTU/POP. It's been a few years since I've watched NA, but it's generally very good - one question:

There was an episode where Drissi and Caz hallucinate and believe to have seen their parents (it's been a long time...The Mind Lens? The Dream Zone?), but the plot was never fulfilled. Drissi always seems very protective of her younger brother - did you ever have any plans to reveal what happened to their parents?
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Evil Overlord of Veg Vegtablesam's Avatar
    Hi Jack

My question is, in "adam's adventure" we see a rare occasion where Prince Adam and Skeletor come face to face. Yet Skeletor doesnt recognise him at all, or atleast mention that its strange that Adam is in the future when only himself and He-Man went in the time machine. Surely he'd be able to put two and two together and work it out

Is there any reason for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegtablesam View Post
    Hi Jack

My question is, in "adam's adventure" we see a rare occasion where Prince Adam and Skeletor come face to face. Yet Skeletor doesnt recognise him at all, or atleast mention that its strange that Adam is in the future when only himself and He-Man went in the time machine. Surely he'd be able to put two and two together and work it out

Is there any reason for this?
    Oh jeez, I know Dagar answered this very question (Jack didn't know the reason), but I can't find the post at the moment. Basically it had something to do with an idea in the series bible that never got used in the show. -- Adam was supposed to be in disguise, much like when we first see Bow in SOTS.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Oh jeez, I know Dagar answered this very question (Jack didn't know the reason), but I can't find the post at the moment. Basically it had something to do with an idea in the series bible that never got used in the show. -- Adam was supposed to be in disguise, much like when we first see Bow in SOTS.
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...&postcount=104

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Just received mine and, I'm pleased to say, it's a nice break from MOTU/POP. It's been a few years since I've watched NA, but it's generally very good - one question:

There was an episode where Drissi and Caz hallucinate and believe to have seen their parents (it's been a long time...The Mind Lens? The Dream Zone?), but the plot was never fulfilled. Drissi always seems very protective of her younger brother - did you ever have any plans to reveal what happened to their parents?
    A really great question that brings back a lot of memories for me.

Yes, I had planned to resolve the issue, and in a way that I thought would bookend with Adam's farwell in the first episode.

I had planned to have Drissi and Caz's parents come out of hiding in the first episode of Season Two and reveal that they were the rightful king and queen of Primus. Sebrian stood in for them to protect them over these many years from the invading Mutants. Their existence is The Great Secret of Primus -- title of the episode. Because the people of Primus initially had little ability to defend against the Mutants, it was believed to be best for Drissi's parents -- the king and queen -- to go into seclusion the moment the Mutants began invading, so the enemy would never be aware of their existence. With Primus now safe, they return and we learn that Drissi and Caz are actually Princess Drissi and Prince Caz. Expressing her true affection for He-man, Drissi will travel with him to Eternia and unintentionally complicate the relationships there between He-man, She-ra and Teela. But not before she makes an emotional good-bye to her family in a scene that harks back to He-man's farwell in Episode One of N/A. She is leaving because of the love she feels for He-man and also because she hopes to help him on Eternia, in a way helping to pay the debt -- and do homage to He-man -- for his having sacrificed his family and friends to come to Primus during their time of need.

Heroic Warrior

Yes, I had planned to resolve the issue, and in a way that I thought would bookend with Adam's farwell in the first episode.

I had planned to have Drissi and Caz's parents come out of hiding in the first episode of Season Two and reveal that they were the rightful king and queen of Primus. Sebrian stood in for them to protect them over these many years from the invading Mutants. Their existence is The Great Secret of Primus -- title of the episode. Because the people of Primus initially had little ability to defend against the Mutants, it was believed to be best for Drissi's parents -- the king and queen -- to go into seclusion the moment the Mutants began invading, so the enemy would never be aware of their existence. With Primus now safe, they return and we learn that Drissi and Caz are actually Princess Drissi and Prince Caz. Expressing her true affection for He-man, Drissi will travel with him to Eternia and unintentionally complicate the relationships there between He-man, She-ra and Teela. But not before she makes an emotional good-bye to her family in a scene that harks back to He-man's farwell in Episode One of N/A. She is leaving because of the love she feels for He-man and also because she hopes to help him on Eternia, in a way helping to pay the debt -- and do homage to He-man -- for his having sacrificed his family and friends to come to Primus during their time of need.
    Sounds like a great idea, and I'm pleased that it's Drissi who fills the role of romantic interest for He-Man rather than Mara, who I thought was better suited to someone like Hydron.

Man, this is the reason the series should have continued!! Great to know that you planned all this Jack - and could have turned the series as we knew it on its head - even down to the title of the episode. I agree with Dave - Drissi's the gal for He-Man from this world. Mara's too much like Teela and I imagine Drissi would've thrown a few proverbial spanners into the romantic works back on Eternia...

Did you envisage Drissi and Caz knowing the reason for their parents' departure?

Thanks for the reply!
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Sounds nice Jack but you do know She-Ra is He-Man's sister right?

It's great to hear the plans to Caz and Drissi's parents, as it's something I always wondered about as well. That would have been a very interesting story to see play out in the Second Season.

I was wondering what your opinion was of the scientists. For me they were very annoying and I could not stand their voices. I was wondering if the writers were pressured to write them into episodes or if they actually liked the scientist characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    Sounds nice Jack but you do know She-Ra is He-Man's sister right?
    Twin sister, actually.

Of course. What I meant is that the relationship between him and She-ra would be more complicated by Drissi and He-man being attracted to each other because He-man returns to find Man-at-Arms in a semi-dictatorial position. And with the added element of Skeletor making his moves and Randor and Marlena in captivity, She-ra would logically feel that the very last thing He-man needs at the moment is a love interest to distract him. So I do see a lot of conflict going on between Drissi and She-ra, if only on an unspoken-subtext-of-tension level.

I hope that makes sense, but if it's not entirely coherent put it down to my being crushed by seeing my beloved Bears dismantled in the Superbowl tonight.

Twin sister, actually.

Of course. What I meant is that the relationship between him and She-ra would be more complicated by Drissi and He-man being attracted to each other because He-man returns to find Man-at-Arms in a semi-dictatorial position. And with the added element of Skeletor making his moves and Randor and Marlena in captivity, She-ra would logically feel that the very last thing He-man needs at the moment is a love interest to distract him. So I do see a lot of conflict going on between Drissi and She-ra, if only on an unspoken-subtext-of-tension level.

I hope that makes sense, but if it's not entirely coherent put it down to my being crushed by seeing my beloved Bears dismantled in the Superbowl tonight.
    I feel your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Man, this is the reason the series should have continued!! Great to know that you planned all this Jack - and could have turned the series as we knew it on its head - even down to the title of the episode. I agree with Dave - Drissi's the gal for He-Man from this world. Mara's too much like Teela and I imagine Drissi would've thrown a few proverbial spanners into the romantic works back on Eternia...

Did you envisage Drissi and Caz knowing the reason for their parents' departure?

Thanks for the reply!
    Yes, they certainly would have known the reason for their parents' departure. Drissi and Caz were old enough to know, and if they didn't know it could have put them in jeopardy as they wondered aloud about the rulers' absence.

If you would like to see a more detailed explanation of where I'd hoped to go in Season Two, take a look at The New Adventures of He-man 1990 Annual thread, with my posts from #27 on.

Fsmiler

Phew...

I was worried there that you had She-ra mixed up as a love interest for He-man..... god that Season 2 sounds interesting...Where would I find that thread...suspense is killing me!!