Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snout Spout classic figure review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Snout Spout classic figure review thread

After reviewing some of my favourite figures, this week's selected character is one of my least favourite of the entire line... SNOUT SPOUT.

I'm not sure why I never really liked Snout Spout. I always loved the early ancient Greek/Medevil/barbarian elements of the line, and Snout Spout just seemed to far away from that original concept for my liking.

He just seemed so very gimmicky, and while some of the later figures leapt off of the shelves at me with their new features, Snout Spout just turned me off.

I never originally owned a Snouty. I never wanted one. Only in recent years, have I got a few examples just for the sake of having a reasonably complete collection.

Snout Spout was released too late to appear in the Filmation cartoon series, and instead was transplanted into 'She-Ra: Princess Of Power'. Sometimes he was refered to as Snout Spout, whereas other times, confusingly, he was refered to as Hose Nose, the figure's prototype name.

Nowadays, even though I have several Snout Spouts, he seldom gets called up for action. He just seems like a figure from another line, and just doesn't appeal to me all that much, even after all of these years. I have Snout Spout as some hideously deformed elephant man (literally!) whom the other characters always take the p**s out of.

The toy-line had some inspired releases later in it's life. I don't consider Snout Spout to be one of them.

I give Snout Spout a generous 5 out of 10, mostly for his action feature.

That's my comments on the figure.
    I'd like to hear your own comments, memories, criticisms, how you used to play with it... anything to do with the character.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Yeah, I had him as a kid. Of course, as a kid, I was attracted to his gawdy colour scheme. I dunno, I liked his elephant head I think - but I can't be sure.. Overall though I do remember him being the joke of my toys too. He just.. didn't have "the right stuff". He wasn't a warrior like the others, more like a gimmick guy like Orko or something. As a character he wasn't very interesting, and as a toy he wasn't much fun.

4.5/10.

Incidently, the wrap-up on the classic figure at OAFE is pretty funny. Comparing him to the 4H staction:

In the '80s, Snout Spout was a terrible eyesore cobbled together from spare pieces, completely generic from the neck down... Unlike the sculptors in the '80s, the Horsemen have an idea of what an elephant's head looks like. The old comics depicted Snout Spout in his few appearances as a mopey, self-pitying sack of cr@p, which was probably because the old toy looked so depressed.

A big fan of Slush Head
    I remember when I got him for christmas, my mom broke his head by accident the same day. That sucked!!

I kinda liked him but not that much, I just couldn't figure out what to do with him but I still played with him. With time it has grown on me but still not to the point where I can say he is one of my favorites.

Like you said he lacks the medieval/barbaric aspect of MOTU which is what puts this guy on the not so popular list for most fans.

I'll give him a 6/10 cause I love the water shooting action.

I liked Snout Spout a lot

I loved his action feature - and I got him around the same time I got the ETERNIA playset - so most of the figures I got around that time are some of my favorites - it was just all sensory overload and MOTU euphoria!!

I used to think he was a cyborg type - who probably had been hurt in a fire and now was dedicated to fighting fire in all dangerous forms... A water blast of great intensity can be a fiercely dangerous weapon too.

There is a pic of me holding him up when my dad bought a new camera and used black and white film... I have this sleeveless t-shirt with some 80s BMX bike logo on it LOL

7 out of 10
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I used to think he was a cyborg type - who probably had been hurt in a fire and now was dedicated to fighting fire in all dangerous forms... A water blast of great intensity can be a fiercely dangerous weapon too.
    If I recall correctly, at least in the UK Marvel comics and annuals, Snout Spout was indeed a cyborg, a result of Hordak experimenting with cybernetics. Extendar and Dragstor were also victims of this.
    Nowadays I like that concept a little more, but still think it's too far from the original medevil / ancient Greek / barbarian concepts to really appeal to me.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I never owned Snout Spout as a kid, I did see plenty of him in stores but I chose others over him. My friend had Snout Spout and his action feature was OK I guess and the elephant head was interesting, especially when the UK comics explained it all. I much prefer the 4HM staction, he does look less clumsy.

figure rating = 5.5/10

I recently aquired a vintage Snout Spout, and I agree with what most have said here.
    Wierd arm sculpts, even wierder head design.
    But I will say this, I quite like his ball joint legs. I like the classic rubber cord that 95% of the rest of the line has, but these were pretty cool, the ball joints work well there, he gets good movement and can stand very well on his own.

I didn't like the character at all as a kid.
    I LOVE the new staction designed by the FourHorsemen, and am really happy they saw the true cool factor that Snout Spout is, and conveyed that in their sculpt.
    Now that I have the classic fig as an adult, he's alright, still not a favorite by any means, but I don't think he's as bad as I made him out to be as a kid.
    And again, as a concept, he's very cool, I really like the elephant/fireman motif he's got going for him.

Speaking of... If anyone has a spare axe and wrench for the classic Snout Spout... I'm in need of them. The one I have came to me sans weapons.
    PM me if you can help!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    IBut I will say this, I quite like his ball joint legs. I like the classic rubber cord that 95% of the rest of the line has, but these were pretty cool, the ball joints work well there, he gets good movement and can stand very well on his own.
    Oh yes, I forgot to mention the ball joints. Spout Spout and a couple of other late figures had these, and they were much better. Much stronger than the standard elastic band design, which even when you got the figures new were rather pot-luck how strong they were, and over the years have really become weak on many figures.

All of my Snout Spouts have their axes missing too, one of the very few accesories figure-wise that I'm missing (in fact, other than a missing "staff of Zoar" on my second Sorceress, I think may be the only bit missing).
    ~jay firestorm~

I didn't have one as a child, because I stopped collecting when he came out. King Hisss was my last one. I even didn't know they made King Randor and the Sorceress and Eternia until a few years back. I got one last year without a weapon and with a broken head from my young nephew who bought it on a yardsale. Recently I bought a complete one. Also have the staction.

Why did they change the leg articulation? I know it's supposed to be stronger than the cords, but not all the figures of the last line had them. I know Blast Attack (obvious design wise), Snout Spout and Blade have them. Anymore?

Anyway Snout Spout gets a 7/10 from me. I like his colours and detailed head sculpt. The action feature isn't that bad either. I liked it more on Kobra Khan though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horrorist View Post
    Why did they change the leg articulation? I know it's supposed to be stronger than the cords, but not all the figures of the last line had them. I know Blast Attack (obvious design wise), Snout Spout and Blade have them. Anymore?
    I've never deduced quite why those few were given ball-joint legs but others still had the older rubber band legs. I would have liked to have seen all of the later figures with the ball-joint style legs.
    ~jay firestorm~

Heroic Warrior
    Snout Spout

He had a very glamourized commercial which was back to back with t-rex pog commercial everyday when i would watch three hours of continous cartoons back in 86.

Wasnt really good for anything accept being a pawn to all of the stories i would make up with my motu and since i had my uncle build a workshop out of travertine he was always man-at-arms assistant.

i guess 7.5 is passing lol

Heroic Warrior

snoutspout

I think you are all being way too kind. This character was possibly the worst, next to those stone warrior guys or the meteorbs, on the heroic warrior side.

A 4 out of 10 for a character that never should have gotten farther than the draftboard.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by stuecketor View Post
    This character was possibly the worst, next to those stone warrior guys on the heroic warrior side.
    I like the Rock warriors!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    I like the Rock warriors!!
    I have to say, I quite like the Rock Warriors too. They could have probably got away with one figure instead of milking it to two, but I quite like them in their own way. Not classics in terms of the line as a while, but fair in their own right.
    ~jay firestorm~

Yeah, I have to give props to the rock warriors - I remember using them with the Rock Lords go-bot toys too (especially "Nugget" - the gold Rock Lord).

Rokkon and Stonedar are awesome and the hiding feature was perfect!
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Yeah, I have to give props to the rock warriors - I remember using them with the Rock Lords go-bot toys too (especially "Nugget" - the gold Rock Lord).

Rokkon and Stonedar are awesome and the hiding feature was perfect!

All I can say is I always wanted him, but never got him. LEO never made Snout Spout although I thought it was an Awesome concept. I love the four Horsemen sculpt but I've never actually seen the classic fig in person, so without any pics i still give him a 7/10. I love elephants.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bad View Post
    All I can say is I always wanted him, but never got him. LEO never made Snout Spout although I thought it was an Awesome concept. I love the four Horsemen sculpt but I've never actually seen the classic fig in person, so without any pics i still give him a 7/10. I love elephants.
    Trust me, he sounds better than concept than in the final product! (Well, that's my personal opinion!)
    ~jay firestorm~

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bad View Post
    Elephants rock!
    They're seriously one of my favorite animals.

You stoked to see the Elephant Swordsman come to life that the FourHorsemen are doing for the 7th Kingdom line? (Fantastic Exclusive 2007)

When I was in India a few years back, I only caught a glimpse of a farmer's elephant on the way into work. I wanted to see more, I would love to ride one someday!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Elephants rock!
    They're seriously one of my favorite animals.

You stoked to see the Elephant Swordsman come to life that the FourHorsemen are doing for the 7th Kingdom line? (Fantastic Exclusive 2007)

When I was in India a few years back, I only caught a glimpse of a farmer's elephant on the way into work. I wanted to see more, I would love to ride one someday!
    Yeah, elephants are way cool. Mr. S. Spout is not. ...In my opinion!
    ~jay firestorm~

Allways hated snout spout,dose'int even deserve a rateing.

He was meh. I don't hate him, but I don't consider him on the forefront of the Masters...

But he's good for spraying my cat with water when he's annoying me.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

cyber-assassin
    I dig the figure. I dig almost all of the figures. They should've called him elephant man though. Actually I don't ever really use the water features. In all fairness, I rarely played with my figures outside. I could imagine anything. another good figure.
    Those whom god wishes to destroy,
    He first makes mad. - Reinfield.

Chris here...

As a kid, I actually quite liked Snout Spout. He was never one of my very favourite figures just because he didn't feature so heavily in the cartoon, but I loved the water squirting feature!

In the UK comics, Snout Spout was actually given a lot of important character development - his appearance was the result of diabolical experimentation from Hordak, and as such Snouty was humiliated and haunted by what he (rightly) felt was his laughable appearance. These stories probably softened me up a lot to Snout Spout as a character and helped me look past his daft appearance and see instead his brilliant action feature!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

I dunno why, call me wierd but----Snout Spout is my favorite MOTU character! ...and ofcourse his action figure is my favorite from the original line ^___^