Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grayskull bloodline and the power of Grayskull

Grayskull bloodline and the power of Grayskull

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find a topic similar to this.

If you follow the logic that Adam is in the King Grayskull bloodline and that is how he can possess the power of Grayskull, that would put Randor in the same bloodline as well.

So what do you think would happen if Randor held up the powersword and said "By the power of grayskull."

Would Randor be transformed into a Randor version of He-Man? Or would nothing happen?

I never thought as Adam as being physically related to King Grayskull. Whenever they referred to him as an "ancestor", I just took it as he related to He-Man, not Adam.

@ Flor2099, that only works if Adam and He-Man are two separate persons.
    Personally I don't think they are, I think they are one and sorta the same.

"Ancestor" does mean related through blood somehow.

@ Bluestreak, cool theory. One thing to note also... The line could be through Marlena as much as it could be through Randor, seeing as Marlena in the MYP story, is not from Earth.

As to what would happen should they get the sword, hold it aloft, and say the magic words? Dunno.
    It also depends on whether or not either of them are supposed to wield the power of Grayskull, it may or may not be a calling they can aquire?

We just don't know.

But it is sure fun to think about isn't it?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
    Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find a topic similar to this.

If you follow the logic that Adam is in the King Grayskull bloodline and that is how he can possess the power of Grayskull, that would put Randor in the same bloodline as well.

So what do you think would happen if Randor held up the powersword and said "By the power of grayskull."

Would Randor be transformed into a Randor version of He-Man? Or would nothing happen?
    Well, if Randor were to become a He-Man-like character, I presume he would look something like the custom figures of Randor many people made before the Randor staction came out using the gold colored Battle Sound He-Man as a base.

But in all seriousness, I've wondered the same thing. The whole 'ancestor' thing was never explained very well (presumably to have been explained in greater detail in a future episode if the series had continued on).

The ancestor thing doesn't work unless either Randor or Marlena are also in that bloodline.

Like Baena said, I don't agree with the idea that He-Man and Adam are two separate people who switch places, and I don't think that's how it's supposed to work.

But even if that was the case, that still wouldn't explain this any better, since the Sorceress was specifically addressing Adam as the one who's ancestor is King Grayskull, if I recall correctly. So, no matter how you break it down, it results in Adam being the ancestor based on what is said in that episode.

I almost wonder if there would have eventually been an episode in which Randor (assuming that he is part of the same bloodline as Grayskull and He-Man) transformed using the sword.

It's sounds like season 3 was going to be REALLY intense with the Horde invading Eternia, and the Masters being refugies on their own planet. If they were already planning on going in that direction, it stands to reason that maybe a few more people would have discovered the secret, possibly including Randor and Marleena. If that were to happen, it could have lead to a scenario in which Adam is captured and a hero is needed, and maybe Randor picks up the sword and uses it or something.

At any rate, this is an interesting question. It's just too bad that we probably won't ever get a good, official answer on it.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

The closest word I can come up with for what I think happens when Adam transforms is "possession". I don't think it's two people, and I don't think it's one person. It's why I think Adam is somehow more of a "spiritual" descendant of Grayskull.

Well, here's how I see it.

Adam and He-Man are one in the same. He-man is Adam - just infused with the Power of King Grayskull and any elders that have transferred their power as well. When Adam becomes He-man, he just gets the benefits of their power - enhanced reflexes, strength, dexterity, etc.... I'd even go as far as to say he can tap into their knowledge and experience on a subconscious level. That's how He-Man has a good battle-sense as he combats the forces of evil. It's nothing he does on a conscious level. BUT without the training that Man-At-Arms and Teela put him through as Adam, his skills would be lacking as a fighter when he is He-man. After all, what good is strength is you don't know how to use it.

That said - IF Adam is Grayskull's ancestor, it would mean that Veena either bore Grayskull's child (He-Ro?), or Grayskull had a sibling along the way. So if the lineage follows Randor it would look like this:

Grayskull begat (name) who begat (name) who begat (this would probably go on for a while)... who begat Miro who begat Randor who begat Adam and Adora. (a ha! Hadn't thought about Adora have you?!)

And along Baena's comments it could work just as easily for Marlena.

So in theory - Anyone of the Grayskull line could potentially wield the power. We know that Adora was slated to be introduced in season 3. If you follow the filmation story then there is a second sword, you know the picture. But Adora's powers derive from the same source that Adam's do - Grayskull.

As far as being able to wield the power, perhaps it is an Arthurian trait - menaing Randor or Marlena may not be worthy to wield the power due to some unsavory action in his/her past. I don't think that's the case though.

Here is my theory. Upon Grayskull's death, his power (and the sword) were stored away until needed to save Eternia again. At that time, an heir would be brought forth to receive "fabalous secret powers."

There were no severe threats to the planet (or Castle Grayskull) for a couple thousand years (or however long it was) until Keldor betrayed Randor and eventually became Skeletor. As Keldor is Randor's brother, he would be able to wrest the power of Grayskull and use it for his own evil purposes (that bloodline thingy again). Skeletor must have realized this at some point - hence his desire to control Castle Grayskull. As Skeletor's true identity may be known only to a select few (The Sorceress, Man-At-Arms, Randor, etc.) Randor would not be a good candidate for the power as he is too close to Keldor/Skeletor. So Adam is chosen to wield the power and defend Eternia. I would even go as far as to say that Randor may not even be aware of the situation and may be magically manipulated by the Sorceress to hide Skeletor's identity.

Somewhere along the line, with the return of King Hiss and Hordak, He-man and the Masters cannot hold the line, so Adora is brought into the picture. How she comes into the picture remains unknown, but as She-Ra, she helps combat the forces of evil in order to save Eternia.

I'd love to hear what Val thinks - even if its just his own theory.

that may work if randor did it. BUT....I think that the sorcoress has to let the power and magic of greyskull help him understand the powers tht he couldhave. I also think that Randor wasn't the choosen one so to speak. I feel that it was Adam to be choosen for the role of MOTU.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

If anyone from that bloodline could wield the power, and Keldor was Randors half-brother ......
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    If anyone from that bloodline could wield the power, and Keldor was Randors half-brother ......
    Very excellent point here.

And thus the danger should the bad guys ever figure things out eh?
    Last edited by Baena; December 27, 2006 at 12:12pm.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Very excellent point here.

And thus the danger should the bad guys ever figure things out eh?
    I don't think that just anyone in the bloodline could hold up the powersword and say "I have the power!" and turn in to He-man. I think that it was a person with the heart and courage and leadership skills with in himself, with out weilding the sword. Just like in the Power of Greyskull episode when Greyskull had all those trials to go thru to get his sword back. I fell that the person, Adam, had those since King Greyskull.

I think its like a lock and key thoery. they both don't work unless they work together. Adam's time was needed to becaome He-man becasue of the evil in Eternia and the reise of the Snakemen aand the return of the Horde. Randor was too old to with hold the power of Greyskull. So in comes Adam to basically save the day. As will Adam's bloodline after him,I guess.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Quote Originally Posted by brianatarms View Post
    I don't think that just anyone in the bloodline could hold up the powersword and say "I have the power!" and turn in to He-man. I think that it was a person with the heart and courage and leadership skills with in himself, with out weilding the sword. Just like in the Power of Greyskull episode when Greyskull had all those trials to go thru to get his sword back. I fell that the person, Adam, had those since King Greyskull.

I think its like a lock and key thoery. they both don't work unless they work together. Adam's time was needed to becaome He-man becasue of the evil in Eternia and the reise of the Snakemen aand the return of the Horde. Randor was too old to with hold the power of Greyskull. So in comes Adam to basically save the day. As will Adam's bloodline after him,I guess.
    Yeah, but Adam in the MYP toon was a lazy good for nothing prince before he got the power and acted like a spoilt brat! OK, he grew up a bit when he got it, and I love him in the Council of Evil story, but should someone with that kind of attitude be given the power?
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Personally I just think Adam was 'chosen' to have the power and that nobody else can be transformed into a "He-Man like" character. Not Randor, not Adam's son, preferably nobody ever again (and I'd rather have King Grayskull erased from the MOTU mythos . All we need is He-Ro / Elders). He-Man is a legendary character that came about in Eternia's greatest time of need to protect it from the greatest evil it will ever face.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    If "Grayskull > . . . Miro > Randor & Keldor" then Skeletor or a child of Skeletor could feasibly wield the Power of Grayskull, essentially elimminating the conflict that begins the series.

This strongly supports that Adam is a descendant of Grayskull matrilineally, i.e. through Marlena.

Hey Everyone,

I think it makes sense that King Grayskull and King Randor are in the same blood line. This is not only logical with Adam and Adora (hey we were told she was planned for Season 3), but Captain Randor was chosen to rule over Eternia as King in the absence of the Council of Elders. Their choice makes a great deal of sense if you believe that Randor's ancestor was once King. I also love the idea of Randor and Keldor being half brothers. It makes for one very interesting family tree, King Grayskull, Veena, Gray (aka He-Ro), Captain Miro, Keldor, King Randor, Queen Marlenna (through marriage to Randor), Prince Adam, Princess Adora. lol

Take Care,
    Darren
    Mattel please, buy the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from Entertainment Rights. If you owned Both Filmation related "MotU" cartoons, plus "NA" and "MYP" cartoons, you would be able to distribute any or all 4 cartoons to Television in the lead up to another relaunch or a live action movie. Plus, you could include Filmation and "NA" animated characters in "MotU:C"!

Long Live 'MOTU'!

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
    Personally I just think Adam was 'chosen' to have the power and that nobody else can be transformed into a "He-Man like" character. Not Randor, not Adam's son, preferably nobody ever again (and I'd rather have King Grayskull erased from the MOTU mythos . All we need is He-Ro / Elders). He-Man is a legendary character that came about in Eternia's greatest time of need to protect it from the greatest evil it will ever face.
    Agreed. The Power Sword isn't some freakin' baton that any fool can pick up and use. Nor is it even like Mjolnir (Thor's hammer) - where a select few "worthy" can wield its power.
    Adam and Adam alone can use it. He was chosen to be the carrier of the sword and thus, wielkd the power of Grayskull. I can't exactly imagine Roboto taking it and becoming He-Bot, nor can I think of He-'Ko, Heela, He-lator or He-Dak. That's just silly.

Go back and re-read my post...

I'm not saying anyone on Eternia can simply pick up the powersword and wield the power. I'm proposing if Adam is a decendent of King Grayskull, then logically, anyone else in that bloodline may be able to wield the power as well.

That doesn't necessarily mean that said person becomes He-Man. I agree that only Adam can become He-Man because He-Man is Adam. They're on in the same. He-Man is simply Adam transfused with the power of Grayskull.

BUT, if the line passes through Randor, perhaps Randor could wield the power. How that power is represented? Who knows. If the line passes through Marlena then perhaps she could wield the power.

As far as comparing the powersword to Thor's hammer - I like that idea. It would explain a lot. It might also negate the entire bloodline theory (i.e. - Captain America is worthy enough to lift Thor's hammer - unworthy ones can't even lift it). -Which might expalin why Adam's parents/grandparents/other relatives weren't chosen to wield the power.

One final thought:
    Remember folks - we're discussing the 200x incarnation of He-Man. Whether you like the concept of King Grayskull or not - it happened in this incarnation. Let's keep it on topic

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisto View Post
    I think it makes sense that King Grayskull and King Randor are in the same blood line. This is not only logical with Adam and Adora (hey we were told she was planned for Season 3), but Captain Randor was chosen to rule over Eternia as King in the absence of the Council of Elders.
    Actually, it does not make sense. If Randor is a descendant of Grayskull, why not simply give him the power of Grayskull instead of making him King?

I never considered He-man an actual person with ancestors. he-man is the Spirit of grayskull that needs a body to beable to fight evil. More of a heroic demon possesing a human, if that makes sense. So Adam wouldn't need to be related to King grayskull, but the same spirit may flow through them after holding aloft the magic sword.

EDIT:This is my theory for the original cartoon, which Grayskull was not a part of, and I didn't pay super close attention to te details of the new cartoon, so I apologize if my theory couldn't work in teh new eternia.

okay i think that adam is not a decendant of greyskull. the idea of greyskull being so powerful cause of his kindness,wisdom and strength. it was that it was passed on to the council of elders. in that same way the council only passed on some or very little of greyskulls power to adam, cause he was prophisized to bring peace to eternia and protect it. being the son of a great warrior who defended the council against keldor by all means should have the power of greyskull cause randor and his companions would teach adam wisdom and compassion, the strength was the last piece which was added. the council does not fully trust adam with full power cause he is still young and very impressionable. yes he knows of right and wrong but the lines can't always be defined like our parents tell us. that is why the faceless one helped he-man with his sword to defeat serpos, and the Shard of Darkness issues was a test for he-man not just for him but also himself as adam cause adam doesn't like the idea of using the power of he-man all the time to help everyone. and so i say adam is no decendant of greyskull its the idea that anyone can be a hero and that bloodline has nothing to do with it.

....../gasp... ok im done
    Men who crave power, look back on all their mistakes, pile them all together and call it destiny.- Sorceress

Good Journey- Eternian saying
    Review of 2002 Image comics Masters of the universe Vol 1 #1 of 4: Here
    Trodorne's Masters Of The Universe Heroclix board. Here.
    Masters Of the Universe Heroclix Custom Dials. Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Eternos View Post

EDIT:This is my theory for the original cartoon, which Grayskull was not a part of, and I didn't pay super close attention to te details of the new cartoon, so I apologize if my theory couldn't work in the new eternia.

Well, of course I won't comment on the rest of the discussion (which is extremely interesting a lots of people are bringing very good points).
    But, in someway, King Grayskull always existed, in the classic series too.
    In the first minicomics we see the Spirit of Grayskull in both human and "foggy" form, but we somehow know there was a king of Castle Grayskull, and He-Man is destined to become the new king.

In the classic cartoon the Spirit of Grayskull is still there, and there is no reason to exclude it's still the spirit of an ancient king.

And... what is He-Ro's secret identity's name? Gray!
    And, hum, when Mattel developed He-Ro, he has a different name at the beginning.... guess what?
    Exactly: Grayskull!

See? if you look a the big picture, the stories aren't that different

Go back and re-read my post...
    A friendly word of advice; There are nicer ways to say this, BlueStreak.

I'm not saying anyone on Eternia can simply pick up the powersword and wield the power. I'm proposing if Adam is a decendent of King Grayskull, then logically, anyone else in that bloodline may be able to wield the power as well.

That doesn't necessarily mean that said person becomes He-Man. I agree that only Adam can become He-Man because He-Man is Adam. They're on in the same. He-Man is simply Adam transfused with the power of Grayskull.

BUT, if the line passes through Randor, perhaps Randor could wield the power. How that power is represented? Who knows. If the line passes through Marlena then perhaps she could wield the power.
    Well it was pretty hard to come to that assumption by your previous post of:

So in theory - Anyone of the Grayskull line could potentially wield the power.
    EDIT: And by the way, Marlena is not of the Grayskull line. She married into it. In the classic storyline she's not even Eternian - she's an Earthling. If anyone in the royal family couldn't wield the power of Grayskull, it'd be Marlena.
    Last edited by discosupafly; December 29, 2006 at 09:29pm.

Wasn't my intention to be brash or rude - sorry of you took it that way.

EDIT: Not talking Classic here - although I personally love the idea that Marlena is an Earthling. In MYP mythos she is Eternian. I may be wrong, but I don't think that it was ever stated which side of the bloodline Grayskull's lineage lies on.

If it has been officially stated - someone please correct me.
    Last edited by BlueStreak; December 29, 2006 at 09:32pm.

This discussion is shocking me with the opinions people have on this subject. I just want to get things straight first though. It seems that most here think that if Randor/Miro/Keldor/Marlena etc say the magic words, they will harness the power of Grayskull much like Adam/He-Man. Is this right? Or are you saying that any of these people had the potential to be chosen to weild it and it was eventually decided that Adam and Adam alone could use it?

If people think that Randor can pick up the sword right now (ie. episode 40)and transform, then in my opinion that is crazy. I'm not trying to put down any opinions, but I just thought it was generally well accepted that Adam alone could harness the power of Grayskull to transform into a He-Man like character.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

I guess it all depends on what your definition of "wield the power" is.

I don't think Randor could lift the sword, say the phrase and become He-Randor. BUT perhaps he could wield the power in a different way.

What that is -- I don't know - which is why I posed the question in the first place.

But as has been said a few times before - there are a lot of really interesting theories on here.

Warlord of the Elders Dr. Omega's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    And, hum, when Mattel developed He-Ro, he has a different name at the beginning.... guess what?
    Exactly: Grayskull!
    Where did this information come from? The only reference I have ever seen regarding He-ro having a secret identity was from the Style Guide which named him "Gray." Is there another source of information where Mattel stated his name was intended to be "Grayskull?"

Regarding bloodline, remember a few things --

1) Adam was specifically chosen. The Sorceress knew he would be the one and had MAA bring him to Grayskull on his 16th birthday. She knew there would be no need for a champion for over 16 years, so she did not choose Randor.

2) There appears to be a cycle with the Power of Grayskull. Common factors seem to be a displaced Trollan, a large green cat, Snake Men and eventually, Horde. Randor and Miro did not have these commonalities. They were not part of the cycle, so they were passed over.

3) The Power of Grayskull does not reside in the bloodline. The Power was transferred to the Elders, who grant the Power to Adam when he transforms. They now exist as pure energy in the castle, but they still have control of it. So, if Randor tried to access the Power, the Elders would have to approve it before he received it. If the need is great enough, they would most likely grant it. They granted it to Cringer, and almost granted it to Orko, so they would seem to be able to transfer it to whomever they want, regardless of bloodline.

Dr. Ω