Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bootleg's MOTU/POP sketches

POP and Customs Mod heftysmurf76's Avatar
    These are VERY cool! I like Merman the best, he's never looked so ferocious to me!

Now bring on some POP gals in this thread!

thanks for the responses everyone!

skeletoncrew: thanks buddy! let's see... i will probably finish trap-jaw first since he's almost done, but i can move zodac up the queue (i already had him roughed out).

Patreek: glad you like the color changes i did! a friend of mine thought that i had colored beastman's armpads yellow to match the weapons pack version, but i was actually just trying to match beastman's gold belt.

Mike Bock: thanks dude! it will be a long time before you see any non-classic-style MOTU art from me... i want to at least get through all the toy-characters before i even think about trying my hand at the 200x designs!

Galvatron: thank you sir--i do what i can to change the colors "logically" but without going so far as to be distracting or overpowering.

super-munkyboy: i appreciate it buddy--i will move evil-lynn up the queue along with zodac (she's already roughed out as well).

BlueStreak: thanks, glad you like him!

Ultimate Evil: thank you--i'll do my best! in theory i want to draw all the MOTU/POP classic toy characters, and then move on to some of the major animation characters. this will take some time, so if i can stick with it, there'll be plenty more to come.

heftysmurf76: thanks hefty! did you see my take on double trouble in the redesign challenge from a few weks back? it's here. i've got a few POP gals roughed out--anyone in particular that you had in mind?
    Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

Late to the party,but I want to say that I REALLY like your stuff, it's got a great fresh look!

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Powers of Preternia Podcast Video Series
    http://www.youtube.com/user/destrong...s?feature=mhum

Quote Originally Posted by DestrongerLupus View Post
    Late to the party,but I want to say that I REALLY like your stuff, it's got a great fresh look!
    thanks for dropping in, and i'm glad you like what you see--i really appreciate it!

Yikes! Beastman looks totally CRAZY....And i mean that in an AMAZING sort of way. I'm really loving these bootleg. MORE, MORE, MORE!
    Last edited by 2-bad; March 16, 2007 at 03:26am.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

Heroic Warrior Hordaks Henchman's Avatar
    i would love to see the horde in your style

2-bad: thanks man! i'll do what i can to keep pumping these things out... i ought to finish trap-jaw relatively soon...

Hordaks Henchman: i got a few horde pics in the works, but in the meantime, did you ever see this (i posted it in this thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...7&postcount=44):

Very cool design man. I'm really digging your artwork
    Who would win in a fight between He-Man and Wonderbread He-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    2-bad: thanks man! i'll do what i can to keep pumping these things out... i ought to finish trap-jaw relatively soon...

Hordaks Henchman: i got a few horde pics in the works, but in the meantime, did you ever see this (i posted it in this thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...7&postcount=44):

this one is awesome dude...
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

A big fan of Slush Head
    Wow the coolest design of Horde Prime I've ever seen!!

wow guys--thank you so much! i've been a little swamped, and taking a bit of a break from MOTU art, but i'll be getting back to it soon--promise!

UPDATE:

"Evil and armed for combat" is all good and fine, but as you can see, I changed Trap Jaw's blurb to "Evil Master of Arms." I prefer it because it's a title rather than a description, plus it got a pun in there, which is always good for a MOTU character.

The pose gave me quite a bit of trouble this time around... this is actually my third go at Trap Jaw. I got as far as starting inks on the two previous attempts, but they were really very awkward. I ended up with a pretty static pose (a trap that I fall into frequently), but since the goal of my sketch blog is completion, speed, and productivity rather than perfection, I was willing to make the sacrifice. Better to finish it off and move on to the next one!

The details of the drawing are pretty faithful to the toy. In fact--not being an owner of the original Trap Jaw action figure, I never realized that his left arm is almost completely armored. However, my obsessive internet search for reference rectified this oversight. I'm pretty surprised that I have not previously come across any Trap Jaw art depicting him with an armored arm. The tubes and wires coming from the blaster on his prosthetic arm were completely fabricated by me.

I took more creative liberty with the colors than I usually do--burgundy has more of a presence in his color scheme as a nod to the cartoon, but I scaled it back just a little bit, so that there wouldn't be large masses of one uninterrupted color.

CURRENTLY IN PROGRESS: zodac, evil lynn, and faker, to round out the original "villain" group...
    Last edited by bootleg; January 16, 2012 at 10:09pm.

Movie mayhem!
    WHOA, He is great. I really love your style. Can't wait to see Evil Lyn... she will be your first lady like this right?

no, i didn't saw this. but this horde prime is damn ****ing cool. i like the idea with the pop-out-eye as the second face. brilliant

Hordaks Henchman: thank you, i appreciate the compliments!

Patreek: thanks man! evil lyn will be the first female motu/pop character from the main cast that i post--but in case anyone missed it i also have posted:

and my interpretation of starburst she-ra will be coming up for the next challenge too. no ladies today, instead here's cosmic manly-man, zodac:

This time, the static pose was actually intentional--meant to emphasize his supposed neutrality. The holographic globe (which is meant to emphasize his cosmic nature) is just something I came up with, as far as I know. It's possible that my brain pulled it out of the subliminal depths of a long forgotten He-Man episodes.

The costume tweaks that I made on this design are rather similar to the modifications that I made in my illustration of Tri-Klops--I consolidated the harness from his chest plate with his belt to avoid a redundant-looking double-belt, and I 'covered' his neck. The covered neck on Zodac, as with Tri-Klops, is inspired by the 200x version. The rest of the costume is pretty much straight up from the original.

NEXT UP: almost done with evil lyn, and then it's time for faker... i think maybe i should take a break from "villains" (although i don't consider zodac a villain) and try some of the heroes after i finish faker...
    Last edited by bootleg; January 16, 2012 at 10:08pm.

OK, that Horde Prime is amazing!

And I LOVE Zodak as well, classic flesh-tone feet and all!

Don't suppose you're a fan of the podcast are ya? I'd love to see your take on Ramskull, or Blackbird, or anybody else!

Keep up the great work!
    D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Powers of Preternia Podcast Video Series
    http://www.youtube.com/user/destrong...s?feature=mhum

You continue to Amaze, budd. I love these. TrapJaw looks like he's ready to kick some butt rathar than him being kicked in the rear all the time.

The Zodak pic is amazing too.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

A big fan of Slush Head
    I love the new additions. Trap Jaw looks killer,has his classic colors with some changes here and there, looks even better.
    It's great to see new pics from you Bootleg.

Keep up the great work.

Great stuff!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

I like what you've done with Horde Prime. Looks cool!
    What the heck, I am just another rebel!

O'hartley

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Only just checked out these great works (I don't stray onto the fan-art forum very often, I must make it more of a habit!), some really nice work, Bootleg!!

Skeletor: I love his bone detailing on his armor, I wish the 200x revamp had this, it would have looked great. I agree that the face could do with a little work, but it's really hard to get just right - it is a grinning skull, yet near impossible to not make look happy!

Mer Man: A really good piece. I wouldn't mind seeing a "variant" of this with more of a Filmation-style face.

Beast Man: Awsome. Love the bright colours, something that really went with the vintage line, and Beast Man inparticular (wish the 200x Beast Man had this bright colour scheme).

Trap Jaw: One of my all-time favourite villains, and I really like what you did here. Just one thought: nice pose, but maybe his "normal" arm is masking his mechanical one a little too much, but that's just a little niggle.

Horde Prime: I was never really into the concept of Horde Prime (I'm more into the early barbarian He-Man vs. Skeletor mythos) but I really like this artwork. It would make an awesome t-shirt or poster.

Keep up the good work. I'd really like to see Faker (my favourite character) and Whiplash.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

zodak is awesome

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    The most striking thing about your Zodac is not the style of drawing (Which is always of top notch quality if I must say) but the pose. It gives him a very authoritive quality. I especially like the holo-globe as well.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

awesome job bootleg for both trapjaw and zodak and by the way i think trapjaw looks pretty badass

LOVING it bro...!!!!

thanks...!!!

thank you so much for the comments everyone. the feedback is very encouraging!

DestrongerLupus: thank you--i actually am a fan of the podcast! though i've only listened to the episodes and not the meta-podcast. after i get some more of the core MOTU/POP cast drawn, i do want to start delving into fan characters, including powers of preternia stuff. can you point me in the direction of "official" pics of the fan-created characters from the podcast? i like to stick pretty close to the source material. as for non-fan preternia characters, i do have some roughs sketched out for several of them (tytus, megator, king hiss, green goddess, and king greyskull).

2-bad: thanks man! i always thought that trap jaw deserved to be depicted as a tougher villain.

Mike Bock: i'm glad you like the color tweaks!

Pig Boy: thanks, i really appreciate it!

o'hartley: thanks dude!

Spacedust: thanks for the comments--i totally agree with you about trapjaw's arm. originally, i drew trapjaw's normal arm without armor, so originally the black and burgundy wasn't quite such a jumble with his mechanical arm. but after i scanned it in, i realized that his normal arm was actually armored, so i fixed the drawing in photoshop, but was stuck with the old pose... i'll move whiplash up in the queue.

Hordaks Henchman: thanks man!

super-munkyboy: wow dude, i really appreciate it! that's what i was going for, so i'm glad it works for you!

Galvatron: thanks buddy!

skeletoncrew: thanks dude, and you're welcome!