Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bootleg's MOTU/POP sketches

Fantastic work, I love your coloring style which is saying something since I don't usually like cel shading too much lately. I think you just have a really good eye for color.

I'm afraid I'm just going to be another voice shouting "OMG AWESOME!", but I honestly don't see anything to criticize. Whatever could need improvement about your work is sufficiently subtle that I have no idea what it is, lol.

Oh and great work on the snakes, they look so...snakey

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    Galvatron: i appreciate it man, hope you like today's post as well.
    BlueStreak: thank you very much, it means a lot to me that people enjoy checking in on this thread.
    Slackbot: volatile? VOLATILE? WHO'S VOLATILE? *head explodes* kidding, kidding! i figured that might be the case, but i thought i may as well ask and make sure. i know i'm guilty of the silent nod sometimes too. thanks for looking in Slackbot--i like your work too!

today's post is king hiss:

King hisss rocks!!! I love his two forms and have you have the transformation lines between them.

Galvatron: i appreciate it man, hope you like today's post as well.
    BlueStreak: thank you very much, it means a lot to me that people enjoy checking in on this thread.
    Slackbot: volatile? VOLATILE? WHO'S VOLATILE? *head explodes* kidding, kidding! i figured that might be the case, but i thought i may as well ask and make sure. i know i'm guilty of the silent nod sometimes too. thanks for looking in Slackbot--i like your work too!

Another great piece of art Bootleg. king-hiss looks amazing ,kudos to you.
    http://galvatronartstuff.blogspot.com/

Check My Fan Characters
    -------------------------------------------
    Press here to see Houndor
    Press here to see Aetheron

Wow!!! That Hiss is awesome, Jason!
    The former Glass Shrimp also known as See-Shell

lookin' good...

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Loving your Shadow Weaver!

Would have wished for a bit of "glow-effect" on her eyes though.
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
    ditto that!
    thanks guys! about glow-effects: as a general rule, i avoid gradient-type effects--overall i feel more confident when i stick to cell-shading. i'll try give that type of thing some more consideration in the future--i realize that as an artist i should probably be experimenting a bit more, or else i risk stagnation. thanks for the input--its greatly appreciated.
    that's the spirit bootleg...i have to agree i like this idea and in this case will help to make it a bit more magical because it is less used and thusly special...

i think we need LORD MASQUE now...

looks good, dig the classic style boots...

Umm... out of curiosity, is anyone looking at this thread besides the 5 or so people who drop in and comment regularly? i know i left this thread neglected for a while, but i thought tackling a major character like shadow weaver last week would draw more than two responses.
    it is alot of the things that people have been saying, but another part of it is the fact that the audience becomes used to a certain level of quality and it doesn't wow them any more...ya have to keep pushing your art, especially if it is to the same audience, into new directions to continue to get that "like new" reaction...

personally i would love to see some group shots with lush backgrounds or some covers or even sequential art out of ya...but, i'll continue to dig what ya do and your evolution as an artist...

keep it coming!!!

Like I said - I really enjoy your work. I'd love to see it applied to a classic cardback style image - battle scene maybe?

VERY COOL!!!! Easily one of your best yet. And one of the more intimidating Hiss renderings I've seen here.

Great work!

Evil Master of Propane Ghost of Vapor's Avatar
    Your style is reminiscent of Sslohcin's. And that's good company to be in. I especially like that Faker reminds me of Bizarro. Like, He-Man's version of Bizarro.
    Get Over HERE!: Visit www.retro-daze.com

Trade References: Rodimus75, pH6, Guard Of The South, Vegtablesam, xXBBestXx, Riddle of Steel, AdultCollector

My feedback thread.

thank you all for the feedback about both king hiss and my query about the responses in this thread! i appreciate the discussion--it's given me a lot to think about...

super-munkyboy: thanks dude--snake face will be coming up relatively soon, i've got him scanned in with some rough colors. i think about a hundred years ago i promised you that i would move whiplash up the queue, so i need to get moving on that too. i myself am definitely guilty of being busy/lazy when it comes to commenting on other people's work (i cleared out about 500 deviations from my watch list the other day!), so i totally get that. i'm lucky if once a month i have the time to sit down and post a comment about all the new fan-art that i like here on the org. as for what i'm looking for--i guess i'm not specifically seeking compliments versus criticism--i just want whatever people got. if they got crits, i'll take 'em, and if they got compliments, i appreciate 'em.

Karen_Leslie: that's incredibly generous of you--thank you very much Karen!

Patreek: thanks man! i figured king hiss was a faction leader, so he deserved a little bit more 'pizzazz.'

Galvatron: thank you!

Glass Shrimp: i appreciate it man!

skeletoncrew: as always thanks for your comments and your insights, man. you're right about pushing my art--however, i must confess that because i draw at work, and i work on my own graphic novel after hours, i tend to look at my motu/pop fan-art as something that i use to relax. unfortunately this does mean that i risk stagnation in some respects. i probably won't ever be able to make the time for a full-blown comic, but i want do something in the vein of the first few mini-comics which were actually mini-storybooks, when you think about it--one illustration per page, with the text at the bottom. what i have in mind is a relatively large undertaking that is relatively a long way off. however, until then, i definitely need to try some scenes or group shots. i do have a few roughed out, that i could start on...

BlueStreak: thanks for the input once again man. a cardback-style scene is a great idea--you and skeletoncrew have got the back of my brain percolating over this.

Ghost of Vapor: high praise indeed! Sllohcin is definitely someone who i look up to here on the boards, so i really appreciate the compliment. Specifically when it comes to color, i really strive to hit the level that he operates at.
    Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar

super-munkyboy: thanks dude--snake face will be coming up relatively soon, i've got him scanned in with some rough colors. i think about a hundred years ago i promised you that i would move whiplash up the queue, so i need to get moving on that too. i myself am definitely guilty of being busy/lazy when it comes to commenting on other people's work (i cleared out about 500 deviations from my watch list the other day!), so i totally get that. i'm lucky if once a month i have the time to sit down and post a comment about all the new fan-art that i like here on the org. as for what i'm looking for--i guess i'm not specifically seeking compliments versus criticism--i just want whatever people got. if they got crits, i'll take 'em, and if they got compliments, i appreciate 'em.
    LOL I had forgotten about Whiplash, god all that time waiting fo rit LOL just kidding dude. Hell, Iceman's been waiting for my chibi version of his Spikor for a few years now (*Hides from iceman). Its not a case of not wanting to do it, I just find myself doing more than my little stubby arms can muster.
    As for the deviations...I can top that...3000...I just had to delete the ones I didn't like. Harsh choice, but it was the only way.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

skeletoncrew: as always thanks for your comments and your insights, man. you're right about pushing my art--
    however, i must confess that because i draw at work, and i work on my own graphic novel after hours, i tend to look at my motu/pop fan-art as something that i use to relax. unfortunately this does mean that i risk stagnation in some respects.
    hey bro, it is up to you what you want your art to be or to do...just observing what tends to happen with creative people, even brilliant geniuses...whether it is music, film, or graphic art ya have to keep changing things up or people WILL get kinda calloused about it no matter how brilliant the work might be...the same kind of brilliance over and over tends to de-sensitize the same audience...

i probably won't ever be able to make the time for a full-blown comic, but i want do something in the vein of the first few mini-comics which were actually mini-storybooks, when you think about it--one illustration per page, with the text at the bottom.
    yeah, the mini-storybook mini-comic format is probably a good one, especially if time is limited...can't wait to see what ya come up with...as i'm sure ya know COTU has plenty of storylines that would lend themselves to this or any other format IF ya need any story help...

what i have in mind is a relatively large undertaking that is relatively a long way off.
    far be it for ME to tell ANYBODY else what to do...but, i have to be honest i tend to dislike the HUGE epics(especially fan based stuff like this)...i KNOW the temptation to do these kinds of stories, but i think there is really something to be said for something more short and sweet, more challenging in some ways, but less "egotistical" in tying up loose ends or epically arranging the continuity...things that are little bit more like original MOTU media where ya have 15 pages of a mini-comic to tell the story and get the point across, or even the story books which are longer, but still pretty short and sweet...the closest thing to an epic we ever got in classic MOTU was the SECRET OF THE SWORD and even that spent more time with plot developments than epic story telling or world continuity building...

however, until then, i definitely need to try some scenes or group shots. i do have a few roughed out, that i could start on...
    that's what i am looking forward to most of all, still well within the realm of what has gone before, but is an important and interesting step forward or in the new direction...

keep 'em coming!!!

Court Magician
    I like all your pics. Especially the ShadowWeaver, Shokoti, and King Hiss pics.
    ~Ra'akone

I've never seen that Shadow Weaver before.
    She's wicked!!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

skeletoncrew: well, i confess, i do love epics, though i prefer them when they are doled out in relatively self-contained episodes that are easily digestible without needing to invest in the entire deal.

Raakone: thank you! hope to see you around here more often!

Eamon: thanks dude!

and for today:

While Two-Bad was billed as a strategist, he was rarely played for anything but laughs. I think he has a lot of untapped potential, and if it were up to me, I would cast him in the role of a genius tactician, Skeletor's third-in-command (after Evil-Lyn).

Next character for this thread will most likely be Whiplash. Thanks for looking everyone--comments and crits welcome, as always.
    Last edited by bootleg; January 16, 2012 at 10:02pm.

Just read the whole thread and you're The MAN! amazing pieces .
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Shadow Weaver is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excellent work.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Fendi: thank you very much! hope to see you drop in regularly.

Angel-T: thanks, glad you like how she turned out!

Movie mayhem!
    I think 2bad might be my favorite yet. I love the expressions!

I like your take on Two-Bad. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks he's under-utilized.

Patreek: i really appreciate it man!

BlueStreak: great minds think alike!

**EDIT**

About time I tried resurrecting some of my threads from the dead. Here's Skeletor's henchman, Whiplash:

Last edited by bootleg; January 16, 2012 at 10:01pm.

WOOHOOO...alright...bout time i say.....

great to see the updates bootleg..and whiplash looks great....
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

Movie mayhem!
    I agree, he looks awesome. Love the pose and the colors on this one.

thanks guys! feels good to get some MOTU out of my system after a long break.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Hmm..! I don't think I've seen that Shokoti before! Have you been holding out with her, all the time since last years Halloween, when we had the Shokoti-redesign, you?!

*Looks at date* Ooops! It was posted in January...

Love the King Hiss as well, there's a lot of dynamic in that pic.

Btw, seems like you're in a more classic state of mind right now, yes?

glad you liked my last couple of pieces Pred, however...

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Btw, seems like you're in a more classic state of mind right now, yes?
    psst... i've always followed classic style. you can go back and check--i've never posted a single 200x-style drawing in my 2 years here on the 'org. nothing against 200x, just not my speed as far as MOTU goes.
    Last edited by bootleg; November 11, 2008 at 07:01am.

Nice Whiplash - now we need to see your take on Clawful!