• The Cartoon!

42 38.53%
  • I like them both equally!

30 27.52%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comics or Cartoon?

Heroic Warrior

Age appeal...

When I was young I remember how dark and weird the minicomics looked in comparision to the cartoon. I loved the cartoon when I was little, I still do, matter of fact my son and I watch it all the time. But as I've gotten older I've come to respect the art of the minicomics. It seems like you can do anything with the minicomics and they are not required to follow the cartoon. Which is good. Sometimes i just thought it was what happened between episodes...lol
    Pathors Cub is the son of Panthor and the cat version of Catra.

Heroic Warrior
    As much as I love the cartoon, the mini comics are my favorite.
    ne jabba no badda!

A big fan of Slush Head
    Wow look at this poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    Wow look at this poll.

I know! I'm very pleased with the turnout. Looks like the cartoon is finally leading, but by only 1!

Unedited Director's Cut Captain Wow's Avatar
    The cartoon, no question. I was and always will be a huge fan of the show. I liked the comics but they had absolutely nothing on the cartoon, in my opinion.
    "You see, I've got this real moron thing I do...it's called 'thinking'...and I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Sllohcin View Post
    Comics all the way. I may have liked the cartoon quite a bit but I always felt that there was a "magic" in the mini-comics... like it was the true stories of what MOTU was to be like.
    Much like this. However I Loved the cartoon, but I did feel like there was a great story to be told, a great world to be explored, in the Minicomics.

I only mourn that they never got the chance to fully go there before the Cartoon established itself as the MOTU brand image. I mourn for what could have been, but boy, I loved that cartoon, and it very much in many ways is what He-Man is and should be.

But there was an otherness to those early depictions, and concepts that I'm sorry we lost, and am glad that (to some extent) MOTUC is bringing back to me.

The comics still hold that "true stories" of the MOTUverse to me, a pure-er version of what that line was to be.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    I was always more a fan of the comics, particularly the original mini-comics before the cartoon came out.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    I think it depends on how you first got into He-Man. As kids, we can be influenced with different versions of the same thing. For me it was the cartoon, so I voted cartoon. I like both though.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon

As I had said some time ago in the Pre-Filmation fan thread in the MOTUC forum,
    I think I may be an oddity in this thread, as I got into He-man via Filmation and that was what I grew up with, like many, I thought Mattel got a lot of it "wrong" in their minicomics and whatnot. It was about the time I joined here as an adult that I got a chance to read all the original minicomics and the DC issues and was amazed by how different and far more interesting the story was. There is so much story potential and such a great setup, with fascinating characters in a unique environment of fantasy and sci-fi that it's far and away my favorite version of MOTU (and who can't love that original box art?!?).

I voted comics, because that is the story of MOTU to me, and has been for some time.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Cartoon any day...

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    liked the comics. the toons was to goofy & didnt star the other masters & evil warriors in every episode. it was the same repeat cast of character & new one time use characters.
    the comics always delivered on characters.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    DEFINATELY comics. In particular, the early mini-comics.

I grew up with both, and loved the Filmation series as a child (and I still do have a fondness for what it is), but at the same time, even allowing for how things "have moved in" in terms of style, it was often too young-child-orientated and too slapstick (especially later episodes; some of the early ones had a nice dark vibe to them), and worst of all ... those infamous illogical plot twists and "He-Man feats" that often ruined the whole episode. "He-Man rubs sand together to make glass to entrap giant scorpion" ... "He-Man runs around a lake so fast that it is sucked out and re-routed" ... "He-Man cuts a hole it the desert floor for a storm to disappear down" ... even as a child I was like "whaaaa".
    I'm still a Filmation fan - and actually still prefer it over the 200x toon any day, but at the same time, I do feel these above elements in a way actually kinda damaged the overall franchise by the end.

On the flipside, those early mini-comics are wonderful - their post-apocalyptic, warped mythological feel, with so many wonderful characters, much more "barbarian" and "swords & sorcery" focused that the rather slap-dash "throw any idea in" thing we got later on in the original line's life. I've always been a solid Pre-Filmation nut, and I'm glad that, all these years later with MOTUC, some of these early mythos are finally being re-introduced and recognised!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

The mini-comics easily. They actually had stories featuring the characters I had figures of, while the cartoon barely ever had anyone outside of the main cast. Also the cartoon made the villians look consistantly weak, while the mini-comics showed off their true abilities. I guess the mini-comics are closer to the barbarian roots of He-Man. The stories were much better, and much more epic, even having three way battles with the Horde vs. Evil Warriors vs. the good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Bowlz View Post
    The mini-comics easily. They actually had stories featuring the characters I had figures of, while the cartoon barely ever had anyone outside of the main cast. Also the cartoon made the villians look consistantly weak, while the mini-comics showed off their true abilities. I guess the mini-comics are closer to the barbarian roots of He-Man. The stories were much better, and much more epic, even having three way battles with the Horde vs. Evil Warriors vs. the good guys.
    +1

The cartoon is totally toothless. The mini-comics have actual drama and combat. Not that I dislike the cartoon. I just prefer the mini comics.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

For me its the cartoon, hands down. The mini comics are interesting, but theyre not so unique. Theyre not as unique as the cartoon I should say. The cartoon has that eerie vibe with some of its score and painted backgrounds and talks of black magic, dark forests, ancient temples etc. Also, it uses the exact animation style I love, like Johnny Quest. Theres just something about the cartoon's world, mythology and feel of danger and unknown, magic and demons, that I guess only Conan the Destroyer came close to. And I like the cartoon's stories and characters better. The cartoon has some straight out creepy moments, even with childish moments and stories, it can still creep out. As much as I find it silly that some people at the time thought the show is Satanic and promotes Satanism, in places I see where this idea came from. So again, the cartoon without hesitation. Im a huge fan of the cartoon and the world and its feel, while I honestly don't care at all for the comic books related to the franchise (and yes, I read them). The comic books would never make me a fan, the cartoon turned me into a passionate fan of the mythology
    Last edited by Brakk; December 11, 2013 at 02:22pm.

Cartoon

I remember every day after school coming home to watch the cartoon. I never had any if the comics. I did have some books with records though! I enjoy the new comics. I may have to find some of the old comics.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Comics all the way. To me, the cartoon is nothing more than a distraction to be laughed at and ridiculed.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Comics all the way ,THAT IS MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE to me!!! The only things i enjoyed from the cartoon were the background landscapes and the music.
    Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.
    But...there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real,
    but not as brightly lit... a DARKSIDE.

I like them both, but I'd say reading comics while listening to the filmation soundtrack
    Μπιστ Μαν, ανόητε τριχομούρη!

Quote Originally Posted by Sllohcin View Post
    Comics all the way. I may have liked the cartoon quite a bit but I always felt that there was a "magic" in the mini-comics... like it was the true stories of what MOTU was to be like.
    Exactly. The first Minicomics got me hooked on MOTU and they still define MOTU for me. It was grim, dark, had strong visuals....and then there came a prince in pink and a little flying court jester and it went kind of silly from there on...I got used to the Filmation cartoon after a while and I even like Orko now etc., but for me the Alcala comics are the be-all and end-all of MOTU.
    MOTUC Most Wanted : Attak Trak, Stridor, Night Stalker, Masks of Power Demons,
    Alcala-Style-Figures, Point Dread & Talon Fighter

Heroic Warrior
    Mini-Comics, hands down. I only ever tuned into the cartoon to watch Teela, the Sorceress, or any other well-drawn female character- true story!
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE