View Poll Results: What primarily fuels your MotU obsession?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • MotU's own merits as a brilliant fantasy property.

66 55.46%
  • Nostalgia.

53 44.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your MotU Obsession

Your MotU Obsession

Is your MotU obsession primarily fueled by nostalgia, or by MotU's own merits as a brilliant fantasy property?

Please vote and explain hwy you voted the way you did in a post.

For me, I am a MotU fan because of its merits as a fantasy property primarily, with very little nostalgia factoring in.

This also plays into why, though I adore classic MotU, the new MotU is now the definitive version of the universe to me.

MotU is a strong, creative, and exciting fantasy universe. As I have always been a huge fan of fantasy in general, I have always been a huge fan of MotU. I think this also contributes to why I never lost the love for MotU. I have heard countless stories of people who sold all their MotU stuff at garage sales as a teen, and only when nostalgia for their youth began to overtake them as adults did they once again find a spot in their heart for He-Man, Skeletor, and crew. I, on the other hand, proudly displayed and enjoyed my MotU items since age four, with no such lapses.

So, what's the verdict? I expect I am in the minority, sadly.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Nostalgia plays a part, but nostalgia can only take someone so far. What has continually kept me coming back to He-Man and She-Ra (or rather that I never really left) is the fact that I find the stories, toys, etc are highly entertaining. They hold value on their own merit, value, and power as properties and I will look forward to whatever else MOTU-POP has in store for the world in years to come.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Mmmmmmhhhhh - both, really!

When I first learned about the new line, I admit I was only interested for pure nostalgic reasons. But when I realized that I still knew all about MotU, every detail, every story, all the characters, it was pretty clear that nostalgia alone couldn't be the reason - because the reason I liked the original line obviously couldn't have been nostalgia.
    So what I connect with MotU - be it old or new - is a wonderful world of fantasy and imagination, the old battle between good an evil, a fantastic articulation of modern pop-culture and - last but not least - something precious that influenced my life and my likings in art and scifi/fantasy genres.

Thanks MotU!
    ...devotion - and some appreciation, little heavy rotation - oh, looks good on me!

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Joe
    Hence the operative word "primarily" there. I'm sure most of us feel a little of both.

When I first learned about the new line, I admit I was only interested for pure nostalgic reasons. But when I realized that I still knew all about MotU, every detail, every story, all the characters, it was pretty clear that nostalgia alone couldn't be the reason - because the reason I liked the original line obviously couldn't have been nostalgia.
    So what I connect with MotU - be it old or new - is a wonderful world of fantasy and imagination, the old battle between good an evil, a fantastic articulation of modern pop-culture and - last but not least - something precious that influenced my life and my likings in art and scifi/fantasy genres.

Thanks MotU!
    Awesome. Sounds like you see things my way.

" … or the one … "

Quote Originally Posted by Lioncourt
    Awesome. Sounds like you see things my way.
    Well, we're a little behind schedule here in Germany, so the hype is still fresh about the toyline, though they killed the cartoons on TV.
    I've been thinking about the whole MotU-thing a lot lately, and I realized that I really used to be a huge addict to the MotU world as a kid, but that at some point I gave in to the demands of getting older and lost my connection to it for a while. The new line really helped me to realize how much I actually missed it and that you have to be self-confident and stand up for your likings. And although I'm just a student and need to watch my expenses I'm still proud over my humble collection which I have in display in my room - there's no day passing by without me enjoying at least the sight of it now. And I enjoy fanart and fanfiction about it a lot - everything that gets you into this very special fantasy-realm of MotU.
    ...devotion - and some appreciation, little heavy rotation - oh, looks good on me!

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Joe

Thanks MotU!
    Amen, brother. I never realized how much I liked MOTU until I found there were other people who did.

The artistic merits of MOTU, by a million miles. It's the perfect mythology that can stretch the imagination to endless limits, with a gripping premise and great characters. The nostalgia is merely a bonus factor.
    Aidan Cross- Official Website
    The Bacillus- my band's official website
    Excavating the 80s- my blog on unsung bands of the 80s

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    For me I think its a mix of both.

I love the concepts, the mythology, the characters, and all of its own merrits. I think that the whole MOTU concept actually has a potential so huge that frankly none of its TV incarnations have truely manages to capture it fully (not to insult the shows, because I love both the 80s cartoon and 200X cartoon a lot!) There's just so much that the concept could become and I think about that way more than I probably should.

But, the nostalgia aspect is still there. And in all honesty, if I hadn't been into MOTU as a kid (or if it just never existed as a kid) I don't know whether or not I would have gotten into the 200X version, or if I would care about the mythology now. It is great on its own merrits, but I just don't think there would have been anything specific to pull me into it.

So, I would say all in all the merrits of MOTU are a bigger for me than the nostalgia aspect. I look at the merrits and nostalgia as a boat and anchor. The merrits are the boat, which is the biggest and most important part of the whole thing. But the nostalgia is like the anchor, and it is 'anchoring' the merrits of MOTU into my personal interest. The nostalgia is important because if it wasn't there acting as an anchor, then I would have nothing connecting me with those merrits, and the odds of something else coming along and making that connection would be slim. But, obviously the boat (or merrits) are the most important part. An anchor is completely useless without a boat, but a boat is not useless without an anchor. So, if it wasn't for those awesome merrits of the mythology existing, then there would be nothing for the nostalgia to connect me to.

I know that explanation is kind of odd, but I hope my point came across correctly.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    But, the nostalgia aspect is still there. And in all honesty, if I hadn't been into MOTU as a kid (or if it just never existed as a kid) I don't know whether or not I would have gotten into the 200X version, or if I would care about the mythology now. It is great on its own merrits, but I just don't think there would have been anything specific to pull me into it.
    Yes, that's a good point - and maybe that's the reason why I'm still a little sceptical/disappointed about the design-deviations of a few of the new characters; we just talked about Mossman in another thread.
    For me, the new line couldn't work like that without the past, so I think it should keep up the good tradition!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    I know that explanation is kind of odd, but I hope my point came across correctly.
    On the contrary, not odd at all - I'm glad there are other people out there who feel the same!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    MOTU doesn't hold the childhood nostalgia for me, because I weren't no child when it came out. It was the basic concept, the sci-fi/sword and sorcery mix which hooked me from the start, as well as the characters, who, especially in the Filmation toon, I was really able to connect with.

That's why I still favor the old version over the new: I never connected with the characters in the same way in the new version. I compare Mekaneck of old, a father with a lost son who buries himself in service to his king after the loss to the guy who thinks his power is weak and feels bad about it. I compare the former mistrusted outcast who never even had a name to the actor who deals with Beast Man's control over his monster side. THere was more depth to the characters back then, somehow, and that's what got me into the property and kept me a fan all these years.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

MOTU rocked my world as a kid. I had so many cool adventures with my figures and to be fair, MOTU was the major thing that introduced me to art. By the age of 15 I put all my MOTU back in their boxes (yup, even as a kid I kept the boxes) and put them in the attic, knowing one day when I settled down I'd take them out again for display.
    I'm 30 this month, I'm an artist and now live in England. One corner of my flat is dedicated to the new MOTU. Not for nostalgia but because as I said in another tread MOTU has everything I need: Awesome warriors, strong women, swords and lasers.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

For me at first, it was nostalgia. When the 2002 MOTU line came out, I jumped on the bandwagon and bought the new line for nostalgic reasons. After a while however, I began to really get into the story and characters much more than I did when I was younger.

Then I started buying the new comics when they came out and BOOM, I was hooked!

Like a few others have said, it was nostalgia at first. Getting older and disliking the New Adventures of He-Man, I lost interest there for awhile. But with the 2002 relaunch I grew back in love with it. I still like the old school the best, though.

I started collecting the line when it came out in 2000. Only for the reason caused it kicked the classic lines @$$. IT was like the classic but soooo much better. Also my mom threw out all my classic collection and I always said that if they brought it back i'd buy them all and I did. I was actually stoked when NA came out but it was a disapointment. I'm just getting into NA now. But in a whole there really are no limitations to the MOTU world.
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Primarily nostalgia.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Since we're talking about "primarily" here, I had to vote for nostalgia. I definitely feel MOTU has great fantasy merits on its own, and I do love it for that but the main reason I'm here is because I've always loved it--from childhood onward. My MOTU fandom goes so far back, I dont remember it's origin!

Early on, I remember watching He-Man after school and hoping the Sorceress would appear! If she didnt, I was generally disappointed and wondered what she could have been doing that whole half hour.

I also had to vote for Nostalgia because I wasnt too impressed with MYP's series. In fact, I'd venture to say that I wouldnt have watched it as religiously as I did if not for my initial fandom.

Actually before I discovered the org, I thought I was the only person left on the face of the planet who still loved it. Imagine my excitement when I realized I was wrong!
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Darksmoke
    Definitely its own merits. Nostalgia does factor in, but only loosely. As a youth-friendly fantasy, MOTU shines by creating complex and interesting worlds, all with their own history and culture. This is particularly impressive when you stop and realize that, in the case of the old-school 'toon, a lot of that probably went right over the kids' heads.

MotU takes me to Eternia, it's an escape from reality for me. It's a place where my imagination can wander and explore.
    It's all about the fantasy for me.

And yes, nostalgia plays in, but TheShadow said it best that nostalgia can only take you so far. Why limit yourself to only the past when the present and future is just as exciting and sometimes more?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Heroic Somnambulist
    I loved motu and still do because it is a fantastic exponent of fantasy mixed with sci-fi. Im a huge fantasy fan, and I agree with you Lioncourt on everything except the new version being defintive. I strongly disagree that it is superior or sets certain issues right. It is a fantastic medium in its own right but in my opinion not definitive above the old versions' mythos.

It's the property for me. I love the world and I love the designs.

Nostalgia is what keeps me away from the classic line. I don't own a single vintage piece and I don't want to, and it's because I know I will never be able to capture that feeling of having or getting a new He-Man figure in my hands. I can't bring myself to own them because I feel like it would destroy that feeling.

I started buying vintage GI Joe figures a few years ago and I found that my memory of having them is now diminished by actually having them again.

If I was only in it for the nostalgia, I would probably have started collecting the classics long ago.

I only bought the new figures on the merits of the current line. If something didn't appeal to me, I wouldn't get it.

I find myself much more accepting of the mythos presented this time around, as I never paid any attention to the mythos of the classic line. This time although there is some parts I don't like, I tend to enjoy the story presented.
    Disclaimer:
    All above statements reflect my own opinions or beliefs, if these opinions or beliefs conflict with your opinions or beliefs please feel free to ignore any and all statements posted above at your own discretion.

"It's a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word!" – Andrew Jackson

The MOTU mythos is what draws me to it. Of course, nostalgia is a HUGE factor but I'm a clear-cut case of loving the myth, sorcery, and technology intertwining to create a realm of scientific wonder and barbaric magic

Probably the reason I cherish the early mini-comics so much.
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

My DeviantART

The nostalgia got me back into MOTU, certainly, but without the merits of the characters and the mythos, I wouldn't have maintained my interest for long; perhaps buying a couple of figures, and then giving up.

As it is, I have thrown myself back into MOTU these last couple of years and am totally in love with it again. My collection is three times what it was in the classic days, and I don't think that would have happened if the quality hadn't been there.

So, I'd say 70% merits, 30% nostalgia.
    Guess again, lobster-lips

NOstalgia n' something more!

As a kid
    I loved all forms of Fantasy, as an adult I still do. Now I write fantasy so Motu's storylines despite the "keeping it pg" really pulled you in. The innocence and clarity is amazing. Some of the morals which as an adult seem easier to find as a kid were harder to guess and I loved that then , I relish it now!
    My book "Musings from the Lips of a Dark Rose " is out : http://www.amazon.com/Musings-Lips-D...&redirect=true
    YAYAYAYAY!!!!
    I'm in heaven!!!

A little of both for me but more so for the fantasy concept. It's hard to explain but it just caught my attention as a kid and has been with me ever since.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by Benj
    Im a huge fantasy fan, and I agree with you Lioncourt on everything except the new version being defintive. I strongly disagree that it is superior or sets certain issues right. It is a fantastic medium in its own right but in my opinion not definitive above the old versions' mythos.
    Let me clarify something here, since i think that more than one person has misunderstood what I meant. (That was entirely my fault for not elaborating on this point.)

When I was talking about the new line being the definitive version of MotU, I was primarily talking about the character designs. I absolutely love the MYP series, but there are several places in the mythos where I think they should've done things differently than they did. There are many aspects of the MYP cartoon that I thought were superior to the classic, but the reverse is definitely true as well. As far as the toys and character designs go, 4H are superior in every way, IMO. The cartoons and mythos are a toss-up, though.

" … or the one … "