View Poll Results: How do you rate ("the original") He-Man figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

0 0%
  • 2 points

0 0%
  • 3 points

1 0.72%
  • 4 points

1 0.72%
  • 5 points

0 0%
  • 6 points

1 0.72%
  • 7 points

8 5.76%
  • 8 points

15 10.79%
  • 9 points

7 5.04%
  • 10 points

106 76.26%

Thread: "The original" He-Man classic figure review thread (now with poll!)

Hybrid View

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

"The original" He-Man classic figure review thread (now with poll!)

Okay, to the first classic figure review of the New Year, and this may be the most obvious one, but let's cover it and get it out of the way...
    This week's figure is (THE ORIGINAL) HE-MAN.

The centre of the whole line. The one that started it all.

Like the majority I expect, He-Man was the first figure of the line that I bought. They had started to creep in at school, and I was immediately attracted to their bright colours and wonderful chunky feel and appearance.

I remember the day I got him, one sunny Summer Saturday morning, when I was 5. I went shopping to the local High Street with my Mum. I had been a good boy (awwh), and she bought him for me.
    One of my most vivid memories from a child is sitting that afternoon in my grandparents' large garden, and my late grandfather reading the mini-comic to me.

I love the early feel, with He-Man presented as a wandering barbarian. There was a lot of medieval feel to the early stories too, which really appealed to me. In some way, I actually like this version of He-Man more than the later Prince Adam alter ego one.

He-Man was the only figure that I ever bought twice. My original got really played with. After a couple of years the clip on the back of his armor had broken off (as they were prone to doing), and his arms were very loose (much to do with how I used to like to pull the arms off of figures and swap them around with other characters). One December Saturday morning, late in the line's life, I went to a Christmas fayre with my Grandma, and saw a brand new original He-Man there going really cheap, so I got it.
    As I have mentioned on other threads, this second He-Man turned out to be the Malaysian one with the quite rare side-handle to the axe (although it wasn't a hard headed He-Man). Ordinarily, I took very good care of my figures and accessories, but for some reason, I disliked this handle as I wanted it to be like my original, and so snapped it off! I have regretted it ever since; especially in more recent times, when I have learnt that this extra handle is quite rare!!

Due to so many He-Man figures being produced, there are quite a few colour variations to be found. The most notable and well known is the belt, which varied from orange to red. Other examples have more yellowy / orangey hair, and more reddish / brown boots and trunks.

I liked He-Man's character in the Filmation cartoon. He was a super-hero, but down to Earth (or should that be down to Eternia?). He was very easy to warm to, unlike the 200x cartoon version (which I shall get on to in the moment).

As the line progressed, there were many variations of He-Man (with the first being tagged “The original” He-Man), but somehow in my eyes, the original was the best. It was so iconic and recognisable.

The 200x version of He-Man is hard to fairly judge. As with many of the updates, I didn't like that they weren’t as chunky and muscular, and that the colours were dulled down. In the MYP cartoon, He-Man was drawn with a pea-sized head and, even taking into consideration nostalgia regarding the Filmation version, I found this new one to be very hard to really warm to.

There is so much more I could say on the figure, but I'll let the thread get rolling first.

Rating... 9 or 10? The figure is basic mold and only the standard "spring waist" action feature, as all of the earliest entries in the line were. But he is just so iconic, and I spent so much of my childhood playing with him... sorry for being obvious, but it's gotta be a 10!

I'd like to hear your comments, criticisms, memories, anything to do with the figure. :-)

And, as I am also now doing with the classic episode review threads (http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/....php?t=145063), I'm putting a poll with this thread, as an easy way to keep "score" of the figure.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I didn't have an "original" He-Man figure until 1988! He-Man for some reason was quite difficult to obtain in stores round my area.

My first MOTU figure was Prince Adam though, which I used as He-Man and even tried to colour him orange using a felt-tipped pen

Now I have bought another He-Man off ebay about 7/8 years back and I really like it, a simple design and an all round cool figure. I also have an open Commemorative He-Man figure which is better and more neater looking.

My rating: 10/10

He-man was my second fig, Buzz Off being the first. He got also played with a lot resulting loose arms, cracked head, broken armor. He is just the best and iconic version of all the he-man figs out there. He resembled his cartoon version really good, up to the face. This couldn't be said of a lot figures in the line.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Actually, the cartoon version resembled the toy a lot. The toy actually came first.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

Heroic Warrior

original he-man

often imitated and never duplicated. I thought he was cool because he came with armor and THREE weapons! I got prince adam, then battla armor he-man, and then the original. It is still one of my favorites and I now own about eight in various conditions...

just cant argue with the classics

The Filmation rendition of He-Man was really good, and quite spot on, down to the face as he been mentioned. The only really noticable thing missing was the three squares either side of the upper half of his armor, which were probably eliminated for simplicity of animation. They're the only thing I wish had been included. Of course, out of the figure's three weapons, Filmation He-Man only used his sword, but this wasn't surprising, as anti-violence friendly Filmation didn't use the majority of figures' weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    My first MOTU figure was Prince Adam though, which I used as He-Man and even tried to colour him orange using a felt-tipped pen
    Orange? What were you doing, trying to turn him into David Dickinson?! (One for the Brits there!)

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    Now I have bought another He-Man off ebay about 7/8 years back and I really like it, a simple design and an all round cool figure. I also have an open Commemorative He-Man figure which is better and more neater looking.
    Commemorative, better? Bah, blasphomy! They had to buy up second hand figures as they didn't keep the molds; any differences are accidental. The closer to the original the better. Pah, I shall not hear of such things!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

A big fan of Slush Head
    The original He-Man will always be the Original He-Man!! The best there is!!

Widget
    howdy!! and yes i agree with you mike! the origional is the best,,,sadly i never had a he-man as a child,(back in the early 80's) still dont but working on it!!!.10/10

Quote Originally Posted by aussie-man View Post
    howdy!! and yes i agree with you mike! the origional is the best,,,sadly i never had a he-man as a child,(back in the early 80's) still dont but working on it!!!.10/10
    Well I have a complete (all armor and weapons) and near mint Original He-Man on e-bay at the moment if you're interested (http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...QcmdZViewItem), although if you're in Australia I'll have to look up postage.

Shameless plug? You bet!!
    ~jay firestorm~

I have to give him 10 for a few reasons.

First of all, he is the start of it all. And despite his simple design, there's something very prototypical about it. Kindof like the simpler the better. The Alpha. He doesn't NEED gimmicks.

Also, this figure was always exciting for me because I sorta never had one til I was an adult, collecting. I got one in the HEroic Three-Pack for Christmas when I was like 3 or 4. But can hardly remember it and never actually owning a true He-man. In my memories after that, I remember having an old, naked Adam I had to pretend was He-man. I remember my friends having a He-man and thinking the Battle-Axe was the coolest weapon ever, and his shield too. Never had them for Adam.

Then a few years ago, when I started to get back into MOTU collecting heavilly, I eventually bought a complete He-Man on ebay and getting it just felt special. Sure, there were lots of them and not at all expensive to obtain, yet his feel, his three weapons, his harness. It was like somthing special. And it was just an ultra surge of awesomness when I got a Battle Cat for him a few weeks later (The Battlecat I had as a kid lost it's helmet early on and I MISSED not having one for him).
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    The original He-Man will always be the Original He-Man!! The best there is!!
    You put is so well, Mike.

Gotta agree 100%. No figure to me till date can beat the classic He-man figure.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

I always like Battle Armor He-man just a bit better than the classic orginal. I think that's because as kid I loved the card art on the vehicle boxes which often showed him that way. His battle armor made him seem just a little bit more tough.

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    he-man gets a 10 for being down right the best figure. with out any super gadgets or gimmick he has only twist action and acc. yet with those alone he could do so much. set the standard on action figures without even trying.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

Heroic Warrior
    10/10 no arguments there. A beautiful figure, a classic and came with 3 figures. Sublime.

I have got the American He Man (soft head) and the Argentinian (hard head)
    I like them both, amazing figures.

kjs
    10/10, indefinitely.

Man-At-Arms was the first MOTU figure I got, and so I learned of He-Man through the packaging and the pack-in mini-comic. This was well before the cartoon existed. I was drawn in pretty quickly. I loved the way Alfred Alcala (sp?) drew He-Man in the mini-comics. Big and muscly and floppy blond hair and he could kick some serious ass (without doing things like, say, throw an entire castle through a dimensional gateway. He was presented as strong, but he wasn't quite THAT strong... and he wasn't invincible, either, with characters like Mer-Man giving him a run for his money by stealing his power vest, etc.). I loved the idea that he was this strong warrior tribesman, who was given gifts by the Sorceress that enhanced the strength he already possessed (the aforementioned vest, for instance). This was the He-Man I grew up with, and so the Filmation version of things came as quite a shock ("Prince WHO?! Does what with the Power Sword?! But the Power Sword opens Castle Grayskull, and Skeletor needs both halves to do it!"). The action figure was perfect. It wasn't anything complex or overdone, and that's what always made He-Man stand out from all his fellow action figures when you lined 'em up in battle. He didn't have Samurai Armor, he didn't need to don a headband to go on a Jungle Attack, and when he got chilly (if he ever did) he didn't sport an ice spear and a cape and call it Ice Armor (silly). When He-Man, classic, needed a re-do, they gave him something simple- like Battle Armor. I can buy that. Or gave him a Thunder Punch (okee-dokey). But Mattel lost me with Flying Fists. Shiny chrome armor is nifty, but we don't really need to use those wacky kind of weapons to defeat Skeletor, Hordak, or King Hiss. Classic He-Man with his vest, his shield, his battle ax, and his half of the Power Sword, is pretty much all you need to kick butt all over the place. And Battle Cat, too. Minus the missles and armored toe-toe claws. Mattel got it sooo right, back in the day.
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

He-Man definitely scores a 10 with me.

I probably had about 4 of them, and I played with all of them.

Both of the Arnold Conan movies are in my top 20 films of all time, so when I first got this figure, and saw the raw barbarian look, and started reading some of the best fantsy writing ever. (the mini-comics) I was hooked. I remained hooked for the rest of my life, as I do not see me quitting any time soon.

The huge sword, the double bladed axe, the barbarian circular shield. The manliest and most destructive weapons of all time, yet he used them for good.

AHHH!!!!!!!!! Good memories.

10/10 I used to wish the wristbands were colored in and switched the arms with tri-klops at times.

Ten points. I think I'm biased by nostalgia, though. And I didn't have on original HM until late in the eighties (maybe even early nineties!) because the older kid across the street gave me some of his old MOTU figs. (I already had several of my own, but he unloaded a ton on me, many of which were sold/thrown away/lost. Grrr... He was the son of our mayor in Fraser, Michigan. I always thought that was pretty nifty...he died a few years back, actually. He was my sister's first crush! ...She's dead now, too...

Wow. Now I'm depressed.

Umanywayyeahgreatfigure.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

As much as I like the other variants in the original line (the only other one I had when I was a kid was BA He-Man) the original was and is still the best of the lot. That was the figure that made me love the line. Also the first MOTU figure I ever got.
    Who has the Power?

The original He-man is the most iconic figure of the 80's IMO.

I had been into Star Wars figures before MOTU came along, and I couldn't get over how BIG the figure seemed compared to the Star Wars figures.

He-man's sheer size, his weight, and that awesome power punch were enough to take out the entire Empire with one swing, something Luke Skywalker could NEVER do.