View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Energy Beast" out of 10 (with 10 being the highest)?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

1 5.56%
  • 2 points

1 5.56%
  • 3 points

1 5.56%
  • 4 points

2 11.11%
  • 5 points

2 11.11%
  • 6 points

2 11.11%
  • 7 points

2 11.11%
  • 8 points

2 11.11%
  • 9 points

4 22.22%
  • 10 points

1 5.56%

Thread: "The Energy Beast" classic episode review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

"The Energy Beast" classic episode review thread

Nice to see that last weeks classic review thread, "The Cat and the Spider" (http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=145063) generated a lot of views. It seems to be a popular, but less-discussed, episode.

This week's selected episode is "THE ENERGY BEAST".

Brief plot overview:
    After reeking havoc with Man-At-Arms' latest vehicle, Orko feels rather useless and unwanted. This feeling is deepened when King Randor announces the first "He-Man" day, celebrating Eternia's greatest hero. Suddenly, a powerful earthquake strikes, which causes a chunk of nearby Mount Eternia to break off. Adam, Teela and Orko investigate, and find a temple within. Orko cannot resist going inside, and finds a small glowing being inside a bell jar. Orko removes the jar... and the Energy Beast is released, growing into a powerful being. He-Man and Battle Cat battle the Energy Beast, but it escapes into another dimension. At Castle Grayskull, the Sorceress explains that the Energy Beast was created when the very planet formed, and created terror before being trapped by the Ancients. Their only chance of controlling the Energy Beast is by searching Mount Eternia for the Gold Chamber, which should contain the magic to control the beast. But Skeletor has got his eyes on getting the power for himself...

Let's hear what you have to see on this early second season episode.
    And as with all episode review threads now, there is a poll to keep "score" of it's rating.
    I'll be posting my own review in a while...

Chris here...

For me, "The Energy Beast" is a good, solid but slightly unspectacular episode - it's got a very enjoyable storyline, some great character writing for Orko, and lots of action and excitement. It's not as memorable as some episodes, but IMO is basically high-quality "filler". I would give this episode a 6/10!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

Hun
    I enjoy this episode alot. It's not a classic but alot of fun. Many fans put this episode down and I don't understand why. I really like every thing about this episode, oh maybe except he-man cutting through the mountain top at the end, revealing the mountain is hollow. That's very silly, but hey..

this episode is not one of my faves, its just an average ep to me because it deals a bit w eternian history otherwise its just pretty weak
    i give this a 4
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    this episode is not one of my faves, its just an average ep to me because it deals a bit w eternian history otherwise its just pretty weak
    i give this a 4
    Howdy

I agree with manny, I found this episode very boring, unspectacular and just overall yawnsome.

2/10

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Heroic Warrior
    I am not a big fan of this episode, it had some good points explaining Eternia's history and I could sit through it and get into it if I had too but there are alot of episodes I would much rather watch. I would give it a 4.5 out of 10. The title sounds pretty cool though, and enticing.

"The Energy Beast" episode review

"The Energy Beast" is a so-so episode from early season two.

Things start off with Orko trying out Man-At-Arms' latest invention, a (very undersized) Road Ripper, in its first cartoon appearance.

King Randor is planning the first He-Man Day. I like Queen Marlena's line "...I think it's about time we recognised He-Man", looks at Adam, raises her eyebrow and adds "Don't you agree?" - one of the several times in the series that it is suggested she may know Adam's other identity.

When Orko comes crashing in on the Road Ripper, there is some nice animation as, after it has smashed into the wall, it's three wheels fall off and roll away, and Orko's 'O' on his chest also falls off and rolls away.

We then descend into the standard plot of Orko feeling useless and wanting to prove himself. We have had very similar in several previous episodes, and here it feels rather repeated and rehashed.

Events are suddenly interrupted when Mount Eternia erupts. It is surprising to see that Mount Eternia is in very close proximity to the Royal Palace. Naturally, we have never heard of it before, and never heard of it again after this episode.

After Orko has foolishly released the Energy Beast, He-Man battles it. There is a He-Man in front of the beast that is very nicely shadowed by the Beast's glow.

At the start of Act Two, a raven goes on a spying mission to Castle Grayskull, to overhear the only way to control the Energy Beast. Soon it reports back to Skeletor, who greets it with an unintentionally hilarious poem - "Raven, raven, fly to me; Raven, raven, what did you see". Quite why old bone face feels need to serenade his winged spies is anyone’s guess; either way, the raven came across to me as a sort of precursor to Hordak's Imp in 'She-Ra: Princess Of Power'.

When the Roto-Rocket drilling machine breaks down while tunneling into Mount Eternia, Adam heads into the back compartment and transforms into He-Man - Teela would have most definitely heard this! He-Man then clears the way for the drilling machine, and then transforms back into Adam again! Quite why he didn't just go in the form of He-Man to start with (particularly as it was He-Man, Teela and Man-At-Arms that the Sorceress instructed at Grayskull) is anyone’s guess!

When they reach the Gold Chamber in the depths of Mount Eternia, Teela, Orko and Adam meet "the Spirit of the Ancients". I immediately like this character. He is designed and animated, ghost like, really well, and is the sort of thing that I would loved to have seen more in the series. And yet again, another character that would have made a wonderful figure, maybe with some kind of glow-in-the-dark feature like Scare Glow.

When the Spirit disappears again, there is a tremor, and Teela is buried in rubble. Adam transforms back into He-Man again to rescue her! It is this rather bitty backing-and-forthing in the second act that really lets the episode down.

When Orko retrieves the Eternian Crystal from Skeletor, and Teela freezes him, one has to wonder why they don't capture Skeletor, to stop him causing more terror on Eternia. The only explanation can be is that they are so busy dealing with the Energy Beast that they don't have time, before either the ice melts of one of Skeletor's minions rescues him.

The climax of the story, on top of the mountain, with He-Man cutting the top section off and moving it, is a bit silly, and I didn't really feel as if it was a satisfying conclusion.

At the end, Orko is predictably hailed as a hero (again!), along with Teela, Man-At-Arms and Adam.

I don't dislike this episode; there are certainly worse from later in season two. It's just never particularly appealed to me. On paper it looks like it should be excellent, and has some interesting elements. But on-screen it has some good parts but doesn't quite work as a whole.
    I give this one an average 7 out of 10.
    Last edited by Spacedust; January 13, 2007 at 05:51pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Hun
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    Events are suddenly interrupted when Mount Eternia erupts. It is surprising to see that Mount Eternia is in very close proximity to the Royal Palace. Naturally, we have never heard of it before, and never heard of it again after this episode.
    That's not true. Mount Eternia is mentioned in Greatest show on Eternia, also written by Rowby Goren.

Quote Originally Posted by Hun View Post
    That's not true. Mount Eternia is mentioned in Greatest show on Eternia, also written by Rowby Goren.
    Ohh, you might be right. I'll have to check that one (I have to confess that "The Greatest Show..." is one of my least watched episodes. I didn't remember it, and unless I'm wrong, the DVD notes say it's the only appearance too (although I have noticed a couple of minor errors elsewhere too).

Minus one point for me!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    Mount Eternia is also mentioned in 'The Time Wheel.'

amid falling boulders he man forces open an ancient stone door recently unearthed inside of mount eternia. he-man and battle cat charge in and directly up to the just released energy beast while he-man deflects 12 consecutive energy bolts with his sword. that's just amazing!

skeletor is hilarious in this episode from start to finish. he goes nuts near the beginning and his laughter is just great. i always have to rewind it a few times. later in the episode he does a funny little raven rap too. ..orko snatches something from his hand, etc. this episode is full of fun.

overall, it's one of my top 10. prince adam becomes he-man three times, and all three times they show the change!

i remember reading on the dvd 'facts' that this was the 'first mention' of mount eternia too. it's bad that kind of mistake made it to the release. but then again, just in the last two days i've found four inconsistencies with the 'facts' on this site too. eh. go figure.