Thread: B.C.I : Filmation's Flash Gordon DVD set

B.C.I : Filmation's Flash Gordon DVD set

Hi !!!

I'm interested in buying this set , I would like to know if the animated movie of Flash Gordon which was made by Filmation is included in this set or if there is only the episodes.

Does B.C.I plan to release the animated movie also ?

Thanks a lot

Best regards
    Musclor

http://www.maitresdelunivers.org aka http://www.musclor.fr.st : open!!!

Good deals with : Markatisu , Bigdaddy51200 , Hopebrady , Zodak74 , Lady Angora , 10incher

Click here to watch my feedbacks

No, no movie included, I'm sorry
    The set contain only the complete series.

BCI would love to release the movie, and we requested it many times to Hearts, but at this time the movie seems to be unavailable (they can't find it! ).
    If this will change in the future, I'm sure BCI will do whatever is possible to release it

OK thank you so much emiliano for the answer.

I read some good feedbacks about the movie and especialy the animation in it. I already find the animation good for the serie and I imagine it may be much better for the movie.

Anyway , I'm going to order it right now !!!

Best regards
    Musclor

http://www.maitresdelunivers.org aka http://www.musclor.fr.st : open!!!

Good deals with : Markatisu , Bigdaddy51200 , Hopebrady , Zodak74 , Lady Angora , 10incher

Click here to watch my feedbacks

Down With the Sickness! Jack T. Chance's Avatar
    The Planet Garnet, AKA Hellhole, Space Sector 0017
    Here's my questions:
    1. WHY is it so hard to find this DVD set at retail? For the last few months (at least), there's been no sign of it in Best Buy or FYE/Suncoast/Sam Goody stores, where the various BCI DVD sets are generally stocked all the time.
    2. I don't remember the Filmation movie. Was it a theatrical release, or made for TV? And even more important, what part of the story did it tell? Was it the origin? (If so, it's even more lame that it couldn't be included!) A feature-length adventure set in the middle part of the series? A final story to wrap up the show's plotlines?
    Any info would be appreciated.
    On June 17th, 2011...
    No evil shall escape
    his sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    Here's my questions:[list=1][*]WHY is it so hard to find this DVD set at retail? For the last few months (at least), there's been no sign of it in Best Buy or FYE/Suncoast/Sam Goody stores, where the various BCI DVD sets are generally stocked all the time.
    I would imagine it is like most dvd's and BB only ordered a certain amount and did not re-order. It happens a lot with animation, its one of the reasons the Rhino sets of JEM and GI Joe are so coveted (by the time people knew they lost the license what was left on the shelves was gone).

Its all about shelf space to Best Buy, thats how I have come to understand their stocking anyway.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    Here's my questions:
    1. WHY is it so hard to find this DVD set at retail? For the last few months (at least), there's been no sign of it in Best Buy or FYE/Suncoast/Sam Goody stores, where the various BCI DVD sets are generally stocked all the time.
    2. I don't remember the Filmation movie. Was it a theatrical release, or made for TV? And even more important, what part of the story did it tell? Was it the origin? (If so, it's even more lame that it couldn't be included!) A feature-length adventure set in the middle part of the series? A final story to wrap up the show's plotlines?
    Any info would be appreciated.
    The movie was broken up in the first 5 episodes, edited to be more kid-friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I would imagine it is like most dvd's and BB only ordered a certain amount and did not re-order. It happens a lot with animation, its one of the reasons the Rhino sets of JEM and GI Joe are so coveted (by the time people knew they lost the license what was left on the shelves was gone).

Its all about shelf space to Best Buy, thats how I have come to understand their stocking anyway.
    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. But I did some price checking online, and found that right now, Wal*Mart actually has the lowest price... IF I take advantage of their FREE shipping to my local Wal*Mart store!

I'm going to check their stores in the area to see if any have it on the shelf first, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjguitar View Post
    The movie was broken up in the first 5 episodes, edited to be more kid-friendly.
    Ah, I see. So, it was basically the same thing that was done with other '80s cartoons... make a made-for-TV movie, then re-edit it into 5 episodes for later reairing during the reruns. It's a shame that the movie edit doesn't seem to have survived, though.

BTW, was that movie called "Castaways"? 'Cause if so, there appears to be a copy for sale on eBay, but I'm suspicious of it. It's from a seller in the UK, and it's a Region 0 disc, which makes me think it's a bootleg. For that reason, I won't post a link to the auction.
    On June 17th, 2011...
    No evil shall escape
    his sight!

i have the set and love it! it stopped me from getting bootlegs! lol. But, it's a great, great set and I got mine at Sam Goody about a month after release. It wasn't there for weeks and I just happened to find it after searching for weeks at many stores. It was $21 I think. Loved the show when I was a kid and wish the movie would be released but i'll live! lol. You won't regret the purchase!!!

The first season is excellent. It got me hooked in to keep watching episodes after season....The second season I couldn't sit through...I watched the episodes with commentaries and from familair writers (Dini, for example) but thats about it.

I was just watching my copy of this last night - unavailable her ein australia, had to order it from the US *sigh* - and was surprise to notice that the writers just quite casually slipped in the fact that Aura is bisexual in this version.

Finally found it! ^_^

Success! Last night, I was in the FYE nearest me, and I finally found the Filmation's Flash Gordon boxed set! Even better, it had been reduced in price to only $15 (FYE's original price on the tag was $25!) ^_^

They also had a used copy for only $9, but I decided to spend the extra money for one that was still factory sealed.

But now I have a question for those that have seen the movie version of the first several episodes: Did the Filmation movie actually have any sequences of Flash, Dale, and Dr. Zarkov on EARTH before blasting off in their rocket, to give them all a proper origin story?

Because I find it very odd that the first episode begins with the rocket already arriving on Mongo! There's no scenes on Earth, showing how the trio came together on that rocket ship! And it also doesn't explain how Flash arrives on Mongo ALREADY wearing Mongo-style clothing! LAME!!!

But other than that, the first few episodes were enjoyable enough when I watched them last night, in spite of their flaws. For example, it's unintentionally hilarious any time there's a scene of our heroes running from a foe, because Filmation used the same, canned "people running" sound effect every time! So, Flash and Thun suddenly sound like a crowd of a dozen or more people running by! But the bigger flaw is just the source material BCI was presented with. Some of the footage needs some serious restoration work done on it to remove damage done to the film/video tape/whatever over the years. But it seems BCI wasn't given the funds necessary to do such extensive restoration on this project, so I can't fault them for that.

Now if I could just figure out if I still have my Flash Gordon action figure from the line of figures based on this show.
    On June 17th, 2011...
    No evil shall escape
    his sight!

Member of the Royal Family JimmyPSHayes's Avatar
    I have a copy of the movie:
    -It was a NBC Sunday Night Movie of the week. The copy that I have has the bumpers on it and it also has a commercial on it.
    -There's quite a long origin sequence on Earth with Flash, Dale and Zarkov.
    -The animation is AWESOME!!! Some of the best that I think Filmation has done period. I always assumed that the movie wasn't released due to all the Nazi material in it. The first shot in the movie is Nazi planes dropping bombs and a vital part of the movie is finding out that Ming is responsible for Hitler's rise to power.
    I love it when a plan comes together.

Yeah there's a good amount of stuff on how Flash meets Dale in an aeroplane to Dr. Zarkov...she's actually an reporter and not just a ditzy damsel who happens to jump to an space ship with some blonde dude.
    In the movie-version, it's potrayed differently how the stranded group encounters Thun as well.

Oh and there's a cool fight between these dinosaur-like monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyPSHayes View Post
    I have a copy of the movie:
    -It was a NBC Sunday Night Movie of the week. The copy that I have has the bumpers on it and it also has a commercial on it.
    -There's quite a long origin sequence on Earth with Flash, Dale and Zarkov.
    -The animation is AWESOME!!! Some of the best that I think Filmation has done period. I always assumed that the movie wasn't released due to all the Nazi material in it. The first shot in the movie is Nazi planes dropping bombs and a vital part of the movie is finding out that Ming is responsible for Hitler's rise to power.
    Wow, how'd you get a copy? Is that a tape you recorded off of the TV back in the day? Did someone else record it for you?

Either way, you're very lucky! ^_^

That's a lot of differences there! Given the stuff about the Nazis and Hitler, it sounds like Filmation was really working hard to do an adaptation of the original newspaper strips, as I imagine that stuff would have been in the original strips, given the era in which Flash Gordon first appeared in newspapers across the United States (and eventually the world!)

Thanks for the info. I wonder if I'll ever be able to find a copy? Anyone know if the movie's ever been released on DVD outside the US/Region 1?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Yeah there's a good amount of stuff on how Flash meets Dale in an aeroplane to Dr. Zarkov...she's actually an reporter and not just a ditzy damsel who happens to jump to an space ship with some blonde dude.
    In the movie-version, it's potrayed differently how the stranded group encounters Thun as well.

Oh and there's a cool fight between these dinosaur-like monsters.
    Thanks for the extra info, Jukka! ^_^

I don't suppose you've seen the movie on DVD over there in Region 2, have you?

Looks like I'm gonna have to do some searching to find the movie now. It's such a shame that BCI wasn't able to release it on DVD. I hope a copy turns up eventually so that they CAN release it.
    On June 17th, 2011...
    No evil shall escape
    his sight!