View Poll Results: Did Filmation overcompensate the concept of She-Ra's equality to He-Man?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

45 48.91%
  • No

47 51.09%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Filmation overcompensate She-Ra's equality to He-Man?

Did Filmation overcompensate She-Ra's equality to He-Man?

We always hear how She-Ra is equal to He-Man, but sometimes it feels IMO as if Filmation overcompensated that concept making She-Ra seem superior to her brother at times.

In fact, it seems that in most of the adventures the twins share, She-Ra ends up saving He-Man. This happens in her first SOTS appearance, the Christmas Special, then later in "The Price of Freedom(twice)," "A Talent for Trouble" and arguably to lesser degrees in "The Eldritch Mist" and even "Horde Prime Takes a Holiday."

Don't get me wrong, I love She-Ra, but I think He-Man gets the raw deal in too many instances.

Does anyone else feel this way?
    RIP Andy Conrad.

She-Ra is a breakthrough because of what she represents... He-Man may be the hero of the MOTU multiverse but it is the women of MOTU and POP who break and bend the gender-based roles and become icons to be admired and imitated!
    My book "Musings from the Lips of a Dark Rose " is out : http://www.amazon.com/Musings-Lips-D...&redirect=true
    YAYAYAYAY!!!!
    I'm in heaven!!!

You know, when I was a little girl, I always fought with my brothers that She-Ra was better than He-Man. She had more powers and always saved him, like you said. Now that I'm an adult, though, I find myself liking He-Man more than She-Ra, and it just irks me when people think she's as strong as He-Man or more powerful than he is. I'm all for equality, but her everchanging sword and abilities threw that theory right out the window, unless He-Man has powers he is unaware of, thanks the the merging of the Sword of the Ancients, which never got explored...

Anyway, I'm going out in left-field. As you can guess, my vote is yes, and considering I'm a girl, it was a very unbiased opinion when it comes to gender. LOL

Ahh, He-Man was just pretending so she'd feel better!

THE DEMON KEY - Skelepimp Mini-Comic

Skelepimp Commissions are only a PM away....

Quote Originally Posted by foxy11814
    You know, when I was a little girl, I always fought with my brothers that She-Ra was better than He-Man. She had more powers and always saved him, like you said. Now that I'm an adult, though, I find myself liking He-Man more than She-Ra, and it just irks me when people think she's as strong as He-Man or more powerful than he is. I'm all for equality, but her everchanging sword and abilities threw that theory right out the window, unless He-Man has powers he is unaware of, thanks the the merging of the Sword of the Ancients, which never got explored...

Anyway, I'm going out in left-field. As you can guess, my vote is yes, and considering I'm a girl, it was a very unbiased opinion when it comes to gender. LOL
    Interesting evolution in thought and very thoughtful post!

I suppose on one hand you could say she was superior because of her extra powers and sword-changing ability, or, on the other hand, you could view these same elements as a crutch the writers felt were necessary to make her appear equal to He-Man.

Can I ask why you changed to liking He-Man more than She-Ra as an adult? I'm really interested in why your opinion changed.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

In one article from several years ago, Lou S. mentions that She-Ra is more caring than He-Man and then goes on to say that she can do damn near anything that He-Man can do. So, I really do think Filmation set out to make her better in some instances. For example, she seems to be a bit wiser and less impulsive when it comes to matters of war. Often times, she has to remind He-Man that, hey, this isn't Eternia and you can't just jump into battle like you do in your world. She-Ra has more experience in that sense, but then that's to be expected because of her situation.

Does it bother me? Not really. There were/are sooo few female superheroes that get to be dominant/rise above their male counterparts. I'm happy that She-Ra gets to be the special one. I know people often hate her for these reasons, but I really appreciate what Filmation was trying to do.

Well, when considering the various roles that women are expected to play every day, I'm not surpised that she was given various abilities that He-Man was not.

Men are able to come home from their jobs, take care of their kids, or kick off their shoes and watch TV; they are considered the breadwinner (and granted that's changing nowadays), the man, king of the hill, what have you--though they may utilize several roles throughout their day, they are still regarded as one entity--a man.

Women may come home from a job and they are typically associated with many different traits; they must be the cook, the cleaner, the mother, the person who takes care of the animals. They are mother, lover, sister, housewife, executive.

It has always boggled my mind that men were regarded in one aspect while women are put into several different roles over the course of the day.

Of course, these thoughts could simply be a result of the way I was brought up and from what I saw in my own household, but She-Ra clearly defined several roles that I felt women were looked upon to fulfill. She was protector , leader, healer (classic traits of a mother archtype). He man, on the other hand, was a more guardian type--a role more reserved for men who were heads of families.

So, I don't think of it as She-Ra being more powerful than He-Man, as much as I see a message that girls can be productive as loving people as well as be assertive and strong, and that He-Man fulfills the notion that men are strong and virile, and they protect their homes and their families. It's kind of an older viewpoint, as much as one can analyze a TV show for kids.

I hope that no one sees this post and regards it as a personal bias of mine, this has just been my experience through my own life.

I could be talking out of my rear, though.
    Leeloomina´ Lekatariba Lamina-Tcha´ Ekbat De Sebat

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    Interesting evolution in thought and very thoughtful post!

I suppose on one hand you could say she was superior because of her extra powers and sword-changing ability, or, on the other hand, you could view these same elements as a crutch the writers felt were necessary to make her appear equal to He-Man.

Can I ask why you changed to liking He-Man more than She-Ra as an adult? I'm really interested in why your opinion changed.
    I guess you could view those elements as a crutch, but like you said, if that's the case, they definitely went overboard. Of course, you can always argue that He-Man is still physically stronger than She-Ra, and that has even been pointed out on her show in subtle ways, but in my opinion, I think they did want to send the message that she was better, smarter, and stronger. *shrugs*

As for why I changed my opinion, there is a multitude of reasons. Most people claim that She-Ra was better written and things of that nature. Now, don't get me wrong, I like She-Ra and I loved it as a child. I still do to a certain extent. I just have the opinion, now, that He-Man was better written and had better stories. It's just my opinion. Also, I don't like how they try to point out constantly on her show that she's superior to He-Man. Take SOTS, for example. She's just saved He-Man, which I think is a really wonderful and tender moment since Adora just found out he's her brother. She's off going to warn the Rebellion while He-Man stays behind to stop the Magnabeam. Does He-Man really save the day? *shakes hand* Not really. Why? Because Hordak does get off a shot that could send Whispering Woods to the Valley of the Lost. Only She-Ra throws a rock in the way, and only then, does He-Man dismantle the Magnabeam. It's kind of like, "Yeah, He-Man destroyed the machine and saved the Rebels, but if it wasn't for She-Ra doing this..." And, it's always been that way. I get that it was her show, so she is suppose to be the one highlighted, but I would have rather they have been equal and not necessarily in the exact same powers. I think they could have diminished her physical power a little more or really showed where He-Man could do something more physical than She-Ra, and without her help.

I don't know. I'm turning this response into a monster, lol. I guess I could always sum it up that I usually go against the grain. I always wind up viewing things different from the majority of the people around me, lol. He-Man rules!

I guess you could view those elements as a crutch, but like you said, if that's the case, they definitely went overboard. Of course, you can always argue that He-Man is still physically stronger than She-Ra, and that has even been pointed out on her show in subtle ways, but in my opinion, I think they did want to send the message that she was better, smarter, and stronger. *shrugs*

As for why I changed my opinion, there is a multitude of reasons. Most people claim that She-Ra was better written and things of that nature. Now, don't get me wrong, I like She-Ra and I loved it as a child. I still do to a certain extent. I just have the opinion, now, that He-Man was better written and had better stories. It's just my opinion. Also, I don't like how they try to point out constantly on her show that she's superior to He-Man. Take SOTS, for example. She's just saved He-Man, which I think is a really wonderful and tender moment since Adora just found out he's her brother. She's off going to warn the Rebellion while He-Man stays behind to stop the Magnabeam. Does He-Man really save the day? *shakes hand* Not really. Why? Because Hordak does get off a shot that could send Whispering Woods to the Valley of the Lost. Only She-Ra throws a rock in the way, and only then, does He-Man dismantle the Magnabeam. It's kind of like, "Yeah, He-Man destroyed the machine and saved the Rebels, but if it wasn't for She-Ra doing this..." And, it's always been that way. I get that it was her show, so she is suppose to be the one highlighted, but I would have rather they have been equal and not necessarily in the exact same powers. I think they could have diminished her physical power a little more or really showed where He-Man could do something more physical than She-Ra, and without her help.

I don't know. I'm turning this response into a monster, lol. I guess I could always sum it up that I usually go against the grain. I always wind up viewing things different from the majority of the people around me, lol. He-Man rules!

Don't worry, I understand where you are coming from, and I agree wholeheartedly. It's why I started this thread! Too often it seemed on She-Ra that He-Man took the back seat and this somehow ended up proving She-Ra's equality. Whereas, in my opinion, it only proved the writers were favoring one character over the other, and the only reason it's noticeable is because that pattern repeated itself over and over in too many stories to dismiss as coincidence.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

On the one hand I think Lou and the writers WERE trying really hard to make She-Ra appealing across the broadest possible spectrum, and they may have over done it. "All He-Man's powers....oh..And a whole bunch more magical-sparkly girl powers too...Oh and she used to be evil....And she gets to talk to TWO magical-castle-spirits.....and her animal-companion can FLY too" I can't say as I blame them, the notion of continuing the He-Man series via his sister, and doing so WITHOUT losing the established audience was a pretty tall-order to fill. It'd be like....starting with Magical-Armor-Samurai-Troopers(Ronin Warriors) and the spinning it off into Sailor Moon, without the boys losing interest (Now, I LOVE SM....but that's another story...).

OTOH though, I think we can easily imagine lots of cool in-mythos reasons for She-Ra to be over-powered. Now, assuming either fate, or the Sorceress, picked which sword to give to which sib, it may have been that He-Man was only ever meant to guard Eternia (no small matter what with Grayskull and all), and the He-Man skill-set was enough for the job. Now She-Ra never got the chance to follow through, but she was fighting THE HORDE, which (as filmation portrayed them) was a universe-spanning intergalactic, world-conquering, juggernaut of evil power and technology. I imagine that She-Ra was destined to eventually rid the whole Universe of the Horde, and so, she mighta needed the extra abilities to complete that task.

I suppose we'll never know

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Powers of Preternia Podcast Video Series
    http://www.youtube.com/user/destrong...s?feature=mhum

Quote Originally Posted by DestrongerLupus
    OTOH though, I think we can easily imagine lots of cool in-mythos reasons for She-Ra to be over-powered. Now, assuming either fate, or the Sorceress, picked which sword to give to which sib, it may have been that He-Man was only ever meant to guard Eternia (no small matter what with Grayskull and all), and the He-Man skill-set was enough for the job. Now She-Ra never got the chance to follow through, but she was fighting THE HORDE, which (as filmation portrayed them) was a universe-spanning intergalactic, world-conquering, juggernaut of evil power and technology. I imagine that She-Ra was destined to eventually rid the whole Universe of the Horde, and so, she mighta needed the extra abilities to complete that task.
    That's similar to how I view it as well.

See, I'm of the thought system that doesn't feel like it's a requirement that He-Man be equal to She-Ra or that the powers of Grayskull should be evenly distributed.

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    When I was a child it always bugged me that She-Ra was always portrayed as smarter and more powerful than He-Man, rescuing him all the time and having extra powers. It's possible He-Man has other powers that aren't showcased in the series too much? After all in one episode of MOTU he summons lightning.
    It would be cool to see how things would have turned out if Adam had been raised by Hordak instead of Adora, would he be weilding the Sword of Protection and talking to the animals? Maybe Adora would be the one wearing pink?

I would have loved to see She-Ra facing the challenges of Eternia more often to see how she would handle He-Man's foes such as Count Marzo and Evil-Lyn...
    Maybe one day Adam will act on his attraction to Castaspella and move to Etheria, and Adora can return to her family on Eternia and defend Graykull?
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Again ... Adora always gets a lot of nastyness from the the MOTU fans and I'm a little sick of it! She isn't the only female to get more hype than our beloved "furry undies" hero. Teela, Sorceress, even Marlena are all given some upperhand as far as plot goes...
    Adora and Teela both follow the literary concept originated by J. Campbell's work known as the "Hero's Quest", whereas Adam dosen't.
    Adam follows the established hero ideas of the time... and perhaps this is partially due to the fact that Adam's story didn't have more time to develop but She-Ra/Adora's tale was the product of a successful establishment of a universe where women were already very strong. Adora is (and I've stated this before here:She-Ra and Philosophy ) a military strategist and tactitian she is far less
    "cushy" than darling Adam when it comes to her approach to situations but Adora's biggest trait is she is strength tempered with compassion. She has a very interesting beggining and the stories of Adora's exploits are facing a far more menacing foe than the localized threat of Skeletor, but had He-Man continued I'm sure Adam would have grown into his intergalatic defender role whereas Adora was groomed by the Horde in her methods of handling situations and threats.
    My book "Musings from the Lips of a Dark Rose " is out : http://www.amazon.com/Musings-Lips-D...&redirect=true
    YAYAYAYAY!!!!
    I'm in heaven!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Killian
    It's possible He-Man has other powers that aren't showcased in the series too much? After all in one episode of MOTU he summons lightning.
    Great point. A lot of people forget that He-Man's sword displayed an array of rarely used powers. In "The Once and Future Duke" it produces magnetism to attract metal, in "The Taking of Grayskull" it creates heat and hurls lightning into the sky to create a rainstorm, in the ep with Icer (I forget the title) it shows another curious ability to locate hidden enemies. So it's pretty clear that the Power Sword had other abilities, but they were never highlighted or discussed. They were used very sparingly compared to the way She-Ra used her sword. In fact, they were used so little that most fans have zero comments on these powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Killian

I would have loved to see She-Ra facing the challenges of Eternia more often to see how she would handle He-Man's foes such as Count Marzo and Evil-Lyn...
    Maybe one day Adam will act on his attraction to Castaspella and move to Etheria, and Adora can return to her family on Eternia and defend Graykull?

Me too.I would have loved to see an ep where She-Ra helps defend Grayskull. Too bad the Eternians and Etherians didn't interact more.

LupaLuna, I understand what you're saying. However, I'm not talking about comparing their origin stories. (That's a whole other thread) I'm more interested in how--once She-Ra (not Adora) became an established character she seemed to get more hype/better treatment than He-Man did when he appeared in PoP. Rather than being the near-juggernaut he once was on his own show, She-Ra seems to outshine He-Man in most situations when the twins are together. Don't get me wrong, I think there were times when it was important like in "She-Ra Unchained" but it happened too much. Never did He-Man need so much rescuing as he did when he appeared on She-Ra.
    Last edited by Blue; June 25, 2006 at 12:02pm.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    LupaLuna, I understand what you're saying. However, I'm not talking about comparing their origin stories. (That's a whole other thread) I'm more interested in how--once She-Ra (not Adora) became an established character she seemed to get more hype/better treatment than He-Man did when he appeared in PoP. Rather than being the near-juggernaut he once was on his own show, She-Ra seems to outshine He-Man in most situations when the twins are together. Don't get me wrong, I think there were times when it was important like in "She-Ra Unchained" but it happened too much. Never did He-Man need so much rescuing as he did when he appeared on She-Ra.
    You missed my whole point... Adora and She-Ra =the same person as do He-Man and Adam...who they are affects there responses to certain situations, She-Ra was dealing with a familiar threat on Etheria but imagine if she had been on Eternia, perhaps not so smooth. He-Man was dealing with the Horde an unknown threat and in unfamiliar territory. The Twins each have a destiny... they are two halves of a whole so they (had the shows been properly managed) would have shown equal prowess in their native homes, but we never got to see it...
    We see Adora get captured in SOTS by Skeletor and she escapes because of her Horde training but she STILL got caught. That shows her need to deal with familiar threats but if Adam and Adora had been given a chance to do more MOTU crossovers I think we would have seen a healthy balance of their powers... but sitting back and blasting on about how POP was favored in the power and smarts department dosen't really work since we don't know what would have happened had both shows been run together and I can almost bet (with money) He-Man wouldn't need much rescuing after 2-3 episodes and we would have seen She-Ra being rescued by He-Man on Eternia a few times as well.
    YAYAYAYAY!!!!
    I'm in heaven!!!

Now that I'm thinking about it, there was an episode where Adora needed help and He-Man came to her rescue. - That one about the time freeze. - Loo-Kee has to go to Eternia to find He-Man so that he can 'unfreeze' Adora. Seeee!

And lets not forget (and I think this may be part of LL's point) all the cross overs (with the potential exception of the Xmas special, which I think gave both twins fair and equal treatment) occured ON She-Ra's show. It would kinda undercut your main hero if her big brother from the other show did a better job (or even as good a job) of things every time he showed up. Had there been any He-Man episodes where She-Ra visited, I bet He-Man would have been in the comfortable and dominat role with She-Ra playing second-fiddle, and maybe needing some rescue. It's just good plot-management.

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Powers of Preternia Podcast Video Series
    http://www.youtube.com/user/destrong...s?feature=mhum

another ep i feel showed more of heman role was my fave shera ep horde prime takes a holiday, theres no way shera should of given so much even if it was her show, heman was a stronger charachter however to make up for it i believe they gave shera all the extra gifts like mind power talking to animals etc
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

I get what most people are saying about She-Ra. I really do. And, just to make it clear, I was never attacking Adora or She-Ra. I love both characters. I think what Blue and I are trying to say is that why did She-Ra have to be so much more spectacular than her brother in abilities and intelligence, and to top it off have it questionable that she was as strong physically? I get that if there had been a He-Man episode with She-Ra visiting, we might have seen He-Man shine because of familarity with the enemies and the grounds, BUT she still would have all those powers of talking to animals and her changing sword. She still had more powers than He-Man. Like the question of this thread is, I think they might have overcompensated: she can heal people, she can talk to animals, she's really strong, her sword can turn into a rope, lasso, shield, parachute, flame, etc. See what I mean?

Arguably, with a few exceptions in certain episodes, He-Man is all muscle and show. What you see is what you get, and it's not that way with Adora/She-Ra. I get that they were obviously trying to make her different from He-Man. That's understandable. You don't everyone saying, "Oh, she's just a girl form of He-Man." I get that. It's just that why couldn't we have a clear cut on either side from either show that maybe each sibling was better at certain things than the other. He-Man's definitely should have been the strength factor since that's the one thing he has, lol.

As for She-Ra's constant changing sword, like some people pointed out, the Power Sword did have a few moments when it did something out of the norm. Maybe that shows He-Man's sword did have more powers than making him strong, but he never felt like he needed it too often...which could arguably be favorable for the He-Man supporters, lol.

Anyway, bottomline is that She-Ra was treated a lot better than He-Man was on either show because of her powers, sword, logic, thinking... whatever else you can think of. I'm not attacking She-Ra for it. I plan on buying the whole series. It's just the way I view it.
    Last edited by foxy11814; June 25, 2006 at 09:44pm.

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I get what most people are saying about She-Ra. I really do. And, just to make it clear, I was never attacking Adora or She-Ra. I love both characters. I think what Blue and I are trying to say is that why did She-Ra have to be so much more spectacular than her brother in abilities and intelligence, and to top it off have it questionable that she was as strong physically?
    A woman makes 77 cents for every dollar a man makes. Therefore, she must work harder than a man to receive the same recognition. By extention, She-Ra must be "more spectacular than her brother" to be considered as appealing.

I think what Blue and I are trying to say is that why did She-Ra have to be so much more spectacular than her brother in abilities and intelligence, and to top it off have it questionable that she was as strong physically?
    You're talking about a show, while accessible to males via He-Man and Hordak, was still basically a female empowerment show. The 80s really pushed the envelope as far as female equality goes; Madonna was doing her shock thing, women were flocking to college and better jobs (as opposed to being "just secretaries") in order to take care of themselves, and Barbie was pushing "girls can be who they want to be!" very hardcore. It's natural that She-Ra would follow. She-Ra was so immensely popular, versus cartoons like Lady Lovelylocks and Strawberry Shortcake (though SS was very popular in her own right-both of these concepts were very feminine passive as far as I can recall)), but Rainbow Brite also carried a strong female message. In terms of being able to juggle a job and children, this is really the decade where you're going to begin to see big changes in the women's movement.

It's only natural the toy world is going to pick up on this and socially, move forward into media and advertising with a message that girls can be powerful, too.

One of She-Ra's trade ads even quotes:

"Introducing the most powerful woman in the universe, backed by a 65 episode TV series. Now it's time to give little girls the power!"
    Leeloomina´ Lekatariba Lamina-Tcha´ Ekbat De Sebat

The one thing I hated in the She-ra series was how they made her sword to change into any object, from sword to shield i can accept, but sword to this or sword to that, it go to the point it was rediculous, surprsied they didn't do sword to back scratcher lol

So, bottomline, everyone agrees they did make her that way purposely, regardless of whether the reasons behind it were good or not, which I agree it is a very good reason. We're not arguing whether it was fair or that it was right or wrong. We're just saying it happened for whatever reason, and it's something that we wish it didn't have to be that way, but the times made it that way. LOL

I hope everyone understands what I mean. I'm watching Raw and crazy DX, lol, and it's got me sidetracked.

Quote Originally Posted by thor
    The one thing I hated in the She-ra series was how they made her sword to change into any object, from sword to shield i can accept, but sword to this or sword to that, it go to the point it was rediculous, surprsied they didn't do sword to back scratcher lol

the funny thing about that is the sword doesn't need to change in order to do that ..

Oh yeah beyond all doubt. I mean in SOS alone she-ra demonstrates super strength like her brother, but also can communicate with animals, and heals swift wind from near death..come on that was a lil too much. I re watched that scene the other day and was cracking up

"Can it be? for the honor of greyskull..let your wounds be healed!!"
    "We have the power, so can you"

Trying to get back into the customizing buisness