Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dino Riders!

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar

Dino Riders!

Who here remembers Dino Riders? I used to love those toys so much! I had a few of them, and actually still have the Diplodocus. The commercials were pretty cool too!

Anyone on here collect Dino Riders? They seem like they're a bit hard to find on eBay, but the prices are still relatively cheap for MIB items. I also found this neat website that has tons of Dino Riders info: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...oriders.com%2F

haha i used to watch the cartoon.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

I really should be workin wingprincess's Avatar
    I remember this commercial. I didn't collect them. My family didn't have much money so my brother and I just stuck to he man and She ra.

I have to say though, they really aren't as clever with toys now a days as they were in the 80s!! The dino riders concept is too fun!
    "Instead of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen, not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the seas! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me and despair!" - Galadriel

never had the toys but always wanted them! love the concept. how many eps were made of the show?

Quote Originally Posted by faroniousd View Post
    never had the toys but always wanted them! love the concept. how many eps were made of the show?
    looks like 14 eps...

check out http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...oriders.com%2F for ALL your Dino Riders info and needs...

Me and my cousin had a few of the toys. What year did they come out? I can't remember.

I only had two of the small Dinos. They were too expensive for my parents. They were a gorgeous line to collect though. I had friends who had the bigger Dino's including THE T-rex! That was the most popular kid on the block

I only had one; the raptor with the ant guy. The dinosaurs were pretty realistic with their textured skin, great paint apps, and realistic eyes. In fact, I think they re-released the dinos by themselves a while back not under the Dino Riders brand. Probably riding on the Jurassic Park wave.
    MUNDO!!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Man View Post
    What year did they come out? I can't remember.
    1986/87 i think...i'm sure that website says...

Quote Originally Posted by LionO View Post
    I only had two of the small Dinos. They were too expensive for my parents.
    yeah, me too...but, they were awesome and i always loved the...sci-fi and dinosaurs, what's not to love...

Quote Originally Posted by MUNDO View Post
    The dinosaurs were pretty realistic with their textured skin, great paint apps, and realistic eyes. In fact, I think they re-released the dinos by themselves a while back not under the Dino Riders brand.
    talk about realistic...the dinos were actually recycled for the Smithsonian Institution line, and also for what you are probably thinking of which is Cadillacs & Dinosaurs...

If anyone is looking for the toon it was officially released overseas, I have the link somewhere but if I recall its a 3 DVD PAL Boxed Set
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Dino Riders were on shelves 1988-1990, IIRC. Diplodocus and Tyrannosaurus were the big guns from that first year. Brontosaurus was the big set from that next year. Then they shifted to the Ice Age sub-series...and the line died right after that. Gah...I can still see all 4 Ice Age mammals with their cavemen riders on the shelf at Lionel in Chattanooga... *sigh*

As skeletoncrew said, most of the dinos and Ice Age mammals were re-released a few years later by Tyco under the "Smithsonian Dinosaurs" banner (sans the humans/Rulons and all their gear). I've selectively collected both lines over the years. Sold several Smithsonian dinos when Kenner (and later Hasbro) got into the Jurassic Park game. As good as Dino-Riders were at the time, Kenner seriously pwned them a few years later with their dino-designs. A few of the Tyco dinos hold up well against them, though.

There was a book written about the toy industry that also chronicles the development and premiere of the Dino Riders toy line, Toyland: The High-Stakes Game Of The Toy Industry. It's a great read, if a bit dated now.
    Last edited by Cobra Commander; January 18, 2007 at 09:23am.
    Cobra Command Online
    Channel Zi
    "When did I realize I was God? Well I was praying, and suddenly realized I was talking to myself."

I've collected them and never given them away. As with M.A.S.K., that line is something I do want to see brought back.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

The bunny.
    Add him to your signature.
    Help him rule the world.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar

Mattel kinda sorta revives Dino-Riders

I've been watching the premiere of Green Lantern: The Animated Series on Cartoon Network and saw a quick commercial for Imaginext's "teched up dinos".

Here's a more complete commercial Mattel has up on Youtube under their Fisherpricebrand channel:

I'm rather surprised Mattel didn't go ahead and use the Dino-Riders name for this iteration of Imaginext Dinosaurs since they bought Tyco, and it would keep the trademark active.

These Imaginext Dinosaurs aren't exactly like the Dino-Riders toys but the designs are very close -- close enough that they would fit nicely in a proper relaunch.

Yup I noticed that as well, its basically Preschool Dino-Riders. The sad thing is I think they could relaunch Dino-Riders easily and they own the rights.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

I saw these at TRU today and actually came close to buying that T-Rex. I owned the Dino Riders T-Rex back in the day and was one of my favorite toys.

Dino riders classics

hey all i only just found out that mattel own the rights to dino riders how freaking cool would be some dino riders classic id buy them for sure. i just hope they haness the power....

Man, you just gave me a heart attack. For years I've been saying that Dino Riders could be an AMAZING toyline if they ever brought it back. But only if they tried to make them as cool (or cooler) looking than the originals.

Keep the dinos realistic, and do not "cartoonify" the armor and weapons. Just make them as awesome as the originals but with today's technology and sculpting.

sigh...
    Last edited by Galmorzu; November 3, 2012 at 09:17am.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

I don't think it was popular enough to get a classics line, but I could see the toyline getting a reboot some day. I'd like to see the cartoon get a DVD release some day as well.

im pretty sure the cartoon has been released on dvd and a reboot would be sweet cant wait !! come on mattel

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I'd pass. I'm done collecting these classics lines.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Check out Imaginex next time you are in the toy isles. That is probably the closest you will get.
    Moderately Geeky: The Podcast
    Available on Podbead, iTunes, and Stitcher smart radio.

Quote Originally Posted by cade15 View Post
    im pretty sure the cartoon has been released on dvd and a reboot would be sweet cant wait !! come on mattel
    It has a UK DVD release of 13 of the 14 episodes that is out of print. I'm not sure if other countries have a release that is out, but Region 1 (USA) does not.

I thought Dino Riders was a pretty cool toyline, although I never had any of the toys. It was the late 80s and I was getting to the age that I wasn't as into toys at the time. I'd might get a couple if they ever did have a Classics line, although like I said, I am thinking that is very doubtful.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar

Dino Riders: A couple decades late to the prehistoric party...

Anyone else collected these? I missed out back in the day (limited college student budget went to MOTU back then), and only recently broke down and started picking them up. I've always loved anything dino related, way back to when Aurora was making their Prehistoric Scenes model kits (where the models were actually posable after you built them, basically the first dino action figures), and just never went back and got these even when I went on an 80's toy spree back in the late 90's. Fortunately, I'm a loose collector, so piecing the figures together is an option. These things are a lot cooler than I had thought with the armor and weapons. I have some of the dinos in their re-done forms from the Smithsonian line and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, and the originals are just as good, if not better. The odd proportions of the humans (mainly coming from the strangely stubby arms and short torsos) takes some getting used to, but you can chalk it up to them being a bunch of aliens, even the human looking guys.

Any thoughts on the line?
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I bought quite a few sets of these 2 years ago off Craigslist. I always wanted them growing up but during that time MOTU and GI Joe won out so I just never did. Its sad because i can remember them being cleared out at many stores at ridiculous prices, now you look at them aftermarket and to get some of the bigger pieces is a small fortune.

I maintain that Mattel is missing the boat with not bringing this line back, they kinda did in Imaginext line but its not the same

Heroic Warrior
    DR did not debut until '88......anyway , I've got the complete Ice Age set MIB (I was sad back in the day cuz I could not afford the mammoth , it was soo cool)

Never saw the toon back in the day though , had a relative who had many of them , incl T-Rex......holy envious , Batman

Underrated toy lines :

DR
    Bravestarr
    Defenders of Earth

Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !