Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dino Riders!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I maintain that Mattel is missing the boat with not bringing this line back, they kinda did in Imaginext line but its not the same

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/im...FPW2605Alg.jpg
    It was those very Imaginext figures on staring at me from the toy shelves that recently got me thinking of the original line and eventually going after it.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    I remember seeing Dino-Riders at Hills back in the day.I always thought the concept was great but I wasn't collecting toys when these were out being 16 and al.I remember ones called Bone Age but I thought they were lame.
    "These are the days of high adventure"

I only had one Dino Rider (the pterodactyl) but I would have bought a ton more if I could have.

Just went home for lunch because I saw a box had been delivered. I actually found a loose, mostly complete brontosaurus, and he came this morning. Didn't have time to do anything but open it up and make sure everything was undamaged (the box had a big dent in one end), but, aside from the fact that he never actually existed, he is an amazing figure even without the armor weapons on him. Can't wait to put everything together tonight!
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Here is some of my collection, these ones are mostly complete. I may be missing a weapon or something (and I don't think that dino to the right with no armor is a Dino-Rider, not sure why I have him lol)

Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Here is some of my collection, these ones are mostly complete. I may be missing a weapon or something (and I don't think that dino to the right with no armor is a Dino-Rider, not sure why I have him lol)

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...69563835_n.jpg
    Very cool! You even have some of the traps! Several of mine are missing some parts here and there, but these figures look impressive even without a few guns or missiles. I never realized just how good a job Tyco did on these until I had them in hand. And, I will admit, as I've gotten the ones with the motorized walking action, I've armored them up and sent them plodding across the carpet more than once. They are cool and they are fun.

They are just really fun toys and when I think back about how easily they were to get it just saddens me I never bought them all

This is the one I want the most

What is actually neat is that the molds for these were re-used in the Smithsonian line of toys a few years back. So if you can track down some of those you can essentially get some of the Dino's for super cheap and just track down the pieces of armor and weapons
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

They are just really fun toys and when I think back about how easily they were to get it just saddens me I never bought them all

I got the T-Rex for Christmas one year. Wish I still had it.

What is actually neat is that the molds for these were re-used in the Smithsonian line of toys a few years back. So if you can track down some of those you can essentially get some of the Dino's for super cheap and just track down the pieces of armor and weapons
    The Smithsonian figures though are lacking the electronics. They're pretty good but the plastic used isn't the same quality that the original versions used. The Smithsonian Bronto came in 2 different decos. One is known to be of very bad quality and breaks are common.

I remember the cartoon. Kind of surprised such a concept didn't catch on. Probably due to price and competition.
    You know what would be the most epic thing ever? If you put an Imaginext Batman on that Imaginext Dino-Rider. (I know that's not what it's called but that's what it is XD)

Man, these are so much fun! I wish I'd had more of them. I remember thinking the traps were good play value.

I've managed to get complete versions of most of the figures from this line over time by buying pieces here and there off of Ebay over the years. Those brain boxes have been some of the biggest pains to get, though, and forget the rubber straps that hold the body armor pieces onto the dinos.

Great figures, though. I still absolutely love how these things look. I only have the warthog from the Ice Age line, but I'm not terribly interested in getting those (the accessories are really pretty simple and sparse for the most part). The very last couple of dinos to come out how almost nothing to them compared to the earlier figures, and they cost a fortune, so I never bothered with those.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Man, I used to be so in love with these toys! I still have the dimetrodon, ankylosaurus and "killer wart hog" and their respective mini-figures as well as the bulk of the accessories, though some are broken. :P

My parents never bought me the mid-sized ones, let alone the diplodocus or the t-rex. Sometimes I wish I could hop in a time machine and go back and buy them all. XD
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

From what I've read on the line, these were expensive to make, even with some parts re-use. The intricacy of the armor and detail on the dinos is really amazing, especially for the time. The delicacy of some pieces, though, is likely a prime source of the rarity of some parts. I've had a few where I had to jerry rig a couple pieces that were broken.

I am surprised that it didn't catch on more than it did, though. The combination of sci-fi elements with the perennial kids favorite of prehistoric beasts seems like a sure fire monster hit. Still, they had an impressive showing for the first couple of years; that Brontosaurus is huge and awe inspiring, even by today's standards. Same goes for the T-Rex. Update the sculpting on the human/alien figures, and you could probably release them otherwise unaltered (aside from correcting the Bronto's name) today with some good success.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    From what I've read on the line, these were expensive to make, even with some parts re-use. The intricacy of the armor and detail on the dinos is really amazing, especially for the time. The delicacy of some pieces, though, is likely a prime source of the rarity of some parts. I've had a few where I had to jerry rig a couple pieces that were broken.

I am surprised that it didn't catch on more than it did, though. The combination of sci-fi elements with the perennial kids favorite of prehistoric beasts seems like a sure fire monster hit. Still, they had an impressive showing for the first couple of years; that Brontosaurus is huge and awe inspiring, even by today's standards. Same goes for the T-Rex. Update the sculpting on the human/alien figures, and you could probably release them otherwise unaltered (aside from correcting the Bronto's name) today with some good success.
    It was a victim of just too much competition I think, almost nobody ever saw the cartoon compared to the big hitters in the boys toy aisle in those days (GI Joe, TMNT, NES, Real Ghostbusters, Transformers, Micro Machines, C.O.P.S.).

Somewhere in America I imagine a store that has been unable to move them and just has them in the back somewhere

He-Man.org Administrator TheShadow's Avatar

http://www.dinoridersworld.com/Toys/...0-%20Front.jpg

Loved Dino-Riders. I had the T-Rex. I most likely sold it at a yard sale years before eBay. Just glad I never parted with anything MOTU/POP!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com