View Poll Results: How do you rate the Man-E-Faces figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

0 0%
  • 2 points

0 0%
  • 3 points

1 1.54%
  • 4 points

0 0%
  • 5 points

1 1.54%
  • 6 points

4 6.15%
  • 7 points

5 7.69%
  • 8 points

18 27.69%
  • 9 points

18 27.69%
  • 10 points

18 27.69%

Thread: Man-E-Faces classic figure review thread

Hybrid View

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Man-E-Faces classic figure review thread

Here we go with another classic figure review thread.

This week it is the turn of MAN-E-FACES.

Man-E-Faces was the third figure I got when I was a kid. I had He-Man and Skeletor, and couldn't decide whether to buy a Heroic Warrior or an Evil Warrior (I was very fair minded like that). When I saw Man-E, my dilemma was solved, as he was both.

In his normal persona, Man-E was a mild mannered actor. Then, when under a spell from Skeletor, he was a savage monster. Then he would become trapped between the two guises and take the form of a robot, who would take commands from whoever ordered him first.

Man-E-Faces was a good looking figure. One of his few drawbacks was that, especially with his encased head, he was a little top heavy. My Man-E had wobbly legs, even when brand new, which made standing him up even harder.

I loved Man-E-Faces' mini-comic, "The Ordeal of Man-E-Faces!", telling the story of how Skeletor used a potion to get Man-E under his command. It had such a swords & sorcery mixed with Medieval feel, one of the main reasons I love the line so much. I would probably rank it as one of the best mini-comics.

In the Filmation cartoon series, Man-E-Faces is well known for being very little used. In fact, he only ever appeared twice, in the first season episode "The Mystery of Man-E-Faces" (which gave him a totally different origin story - more of that in a moment), and season two's classic "The Shadow of Skeletor" (which by pure coincidence, is this week's classic episode review thread - http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/....php?t=145554).
    I never cared for his story in "The Mystery of Man-E-Faces". It would have been wonderful to have seen a Filmation adaptation of the great mini-comic. But instead, as with many of Filmation's versions, the original was completely ignored. I would at least have preferred to have seen some sort of more definite tale of how this version of Man-E came to have his split persona. I didn't like how he had control over his monster and other personas.

Like the Filmation series, Man-E was used in relatively little other MOTU media. He made the odd comic appearance, but not much more beyond that.

Despite that, Man-E-Faces always featured quite heavily in my battles, where I would use him in his original "The Ordeal of Man-E-Faces!" version of the character.

Well, as always, there is loads more I could say on the character, but I will hold back and let the thread get rolling first.

I give Man-E-Faces 9 out of 10.

Let's hear your thoughts, memories, comments... anything on Man-E-Faces.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I got Man-E-Faces the same time I got He-Man, Battle-Cat and Skeletor. He's always been one of my favorites. When I was a kid, he was alwats top lieutenant to Teela's Captain of the Royal Guard in charge of covert missions. He was one of the first figures I bought when I started to collect MOTU as an adult.

10 out of 10 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
    When I was a kid, he was alwats top lieutenant to Teela's Captain of the Royal Guard in charge of covert missions.
    Nice idea to give him a bigger role; one of the character's drawbacks was that he was a little limited as a simple actor, IMO.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

cyber-assassin
    Like him, yes, working on completing him... anyone have a maroon axe?
    I loved him when he came out, and I didn't get the extra weapons. I wrote to mattel (one of many letters to toy companies as a child) asking about the other weapons. Even offered to buy a set. they told me it was only in specially marked packages. bas+++++. They told me something similar (not being able to help) when my first skeletors legs broke.
    Those whom god wishes to destroy,
    He first makes mad. - Reinfield.

Yea Man E Faces was another all time favorite I used to use Man e as an ultimet spy, who would fool Skelertor into beliveing his monster persona was under his control. has was in the mini comic but had learned how to control his faces and use then to do under cover operations.

pretend to be a bad guy learn Skelertors secrets and report back to He man. via secret comunicater, Witch my brother did'int like this idea and thought I should stick with the mini comic story. so I had to give him some weakness'es, and Man E Faces could not stay in monster form for long amounts of time. or would loose control to skelertors mind control, and he could not talk to He man on his secret comunicater with his monster face. and had to change to his human face. thus takeing a chance of being seen.

and skelertor caught him a few times, whats going on your working for HE Man now you die! my brother would say with his Skelertor. and sometimes I used to have Man e faces have no control of his faces whatsoever. and his faces would change at random times makeing it hard for any side to control him. well needless to say Man E faces was the most memorable figure, from my childhood and I give him A perfect 10

Man-e-Faces was a great figure. I totally loved the way the faces used to change. It's what made him so unique from the rest of the figures. I loved him.

As for the mini-comics. I think it was the best written mini comic in the etire series. I give him a solid 8/10.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    Here we go with another classic figure review thread.

This week it is the turn of MAN-E-FACES.

Man-E-Faces was the third figure I got when I was a kid. I had He-Man and Skeletor, and couldn't decide whether to buy a Heroic Warrior or an Evil Warrior (I was very fair minded like that). When I saw Man-E, my dilemma was solved, as he was both.

In his normal persona, Man-E was a mild mannered actor. Then, when under a spell from Skeletor, he was a savage monster. Then he would become trapped between the two guises and take the form of a robot, who would take commands from whoever ordered him first.

Man-E-Faces was a good looking figure. One of his few drawbacks was that, especially with his encased head, he was a little top heavy. My Man-E had wobbly legs, even when brand new, which made standing him up even harder.

I loved Man-E-Faces' mini-comic, "The Ordeal of Man-E-Faces!", telling the story of how Skeletor used a potion to get Man-E under his command. It had such a swords & sorcery mixed with Medieval feel, one of the main reasons I love the line so much. I would probably rank it as one of the best mini-comics.

In the Filmation cartoon series, Man-E-Faces is well known for being very little used. In fact, he only ever appeared twice, in the first season episode "The Mystery of Man-E-Faces" (which gave him a totally different origin story - more of that in a moment), and season two's classic "The Shadow of Skeletor" (which by pure coincidence, is this week's classic episode review thread - http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/....php?t=145554).
    I never cared for his story in "The Mystery of Man-E-Faces". It would have been wonderful to have seen a Filmation adaptation of the great mini-comic. But instead, as with many of Filmation's versions, the original was completely ignored. I would at least have preferred to have seen some sort of more definite tale of how this version of Man-E came to have his split persona. I didn't like how he had control over his monster and other personas.

Like the Filmation series, Man-E was used in relatively little other MOTU media. He made the odd comic appearance, but not much more beyond that.

Despite that, Man-E-Faces always featured quite heavily in my battles, where I would use him in his original "The Ordeal of Man-E-Faces!" version of the character.

Well, as always, there is loads more I could say on the character, but I will hold back and let the thread get rolling first.

I give Man-E-Faces 9 out of 10.

Let's hear your thoughts, memories, comments... anything on Man-E-Faces.

Any chance you doing a poll for Whiplash next?

Man E Faces was a real cool addition to the figures but he did respect a few more episodes in old cartoon though.

I think he only had two appearances which was kinda poor.

Its a shame a few of the greater characters had little developement such as Moss Man. Strongarm, Modulok, heck even a couple more eps with Plundar may have been cool.

Heroic Warrior
    I liked Man-E-Faces (the figure and the TV character). He was one of the first figures I bought back in the day. I think he, like Tri-Klops, was seriously under used. I liked the Filmation version of Man-E-Faces' origin just as much as the mini-comic's. I gave him an 8 because he was too wobbly and topheavy.
    "Tri-Klops, Master of Vision. I will need your gamma vision to see around EPA guidelines!"

-Skeletor, evil master of Housing and Urban Development

has too many toys. The Trollan Stud's Avatar
    10/10. One of the very first MOTU figures I had. I liked that he could change faces like that, and I always thought of him as a rogue or a mercenary, his face choice reflecting whether he was lawful or unruly.

I thought it was only my figure that wouldn't stand up. I didn't know it was a widespread problem.

Simply the best. I do remember when I was child, my favorite motu figure. Sweet memories for me.

I loved the multi-faces, but the colour i don't like, Voted 7!

awsome figure, seriously man-e-faces is one of my favorite characters, and as a kid one of the most memoral toys and his appearance in the toon, the mystery of man-e-faces or something like that is one if not my favorite episode, its the one where he is tormenting the widgets. good times!

Heroic Warrior
    At the time, I considered him one of the line-defining characters, so a full 10!
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Quote Originally Posted by The Trollan Stud View Post
    I thought it was only my figure that wouldn't stand up. I didn't know it was a widespread problem.
    Mine was prone to not standing up either. Partly it was because even new he had wobbly legs, but I think his head armor (or whatever you'd care to call it) made them top heavy. I always had to prop mine up against something.
    ~jay firestorm~

He was one of the first figures I got, and largely responsible for my continued interest in Masters of the Universe. His action feature is among the most fun to play with (especially when used with his mini-comics origin), and the figure was really cool looking. What keeps him from getting a perfect ten for me is that he was such a drunk (couldn't stand up to save his life) with that big ol' bucket on his head. And like TRI-KLOPS, his mini-comic character was far superior to the watered-down Filmation version.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    for its time it deserves a 9. man-e-face was a favorite good guy character. I remember getting an off toy from toys-r-us that was a space monster. it had the same three switchable heads feature & expendable arms, legs & torso like extendor. he fit in well with my motu toys. though i'd share.