View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Cat and the Spider" out of 10 (with 10 being the highest)

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 points

0 0%
  • 2 points

0 0%
  • 3 points

0 0%
  • 4 points

0 0%
  • 5 points

1 5.26%
  • 6 points

0 0%
  • 7 points

2 10.53%
  • 8 points

6 31.58%
  • 9 points

7 36.84%
  • 10 points

3 15.79%

Thread: "The Cat and the Spider" first Season 2 classic episode review thead (now with poll!)

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

"The Cat and the Spider" first Season 2 classic episode review thead (now with poll!)

Well, after filling in most of the holes in the Season One review threads (there's just a couple of odd ones to do), and as it's the New Year, here is the first ever Season Two classic episode review thread!

And the first selected episode, is Season Two's opening episode (in terms of production). and is a favourite with many, "THE CAT AND THE SPIDER".

Brief plot overview:
    Prince Adam and Melaktha investigate the Temple of the Cat. Rescuing Melaktha from a trap, He-Man avoids several obstacles and retrieves a feline statue. One of the Cat Peoples' spies reports to his master, King Paw, that Adam and Melaktha have taken the statue, and King Paw sends the sultry Katrina to the Royal Palace to get it back. That night, Katrina tries to snatch back the statue, but is caught by Teela. Both of them are surprised when Webstor, sent by Skeletor, suddenly appears and takes the statue from both of them. He-Man takes off in pursuit, and Katrina insists that they must get the statue back - or they're all doomed...

Being from Season Two, more characters based upon figures were introduced, in this case, Webstor.

I'd like to hear what you have to say on this popular episode.
    As always, I'll be adding my own review in a little while.

And for the first time in a review thread, I'm including a poll to rate the episode out of 10. This should be especially good for members who want to rate the episode but don't want to write a review. (I'm amazed I never thought before to include a rating poll with episodes! It should be a good way to keep track of an episode's "score").
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

A big fan of Slush Head
    This is a very cool epsiode from season two. Kittrina is definitely an interesting character. It's funny how she has the hots for Battlecat.

I like this episode I'll give it an 8/10

This was my favourite episode - Kittrina is the best!

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittrina View Post
    This was my favourite episode - Kittrina is the best!
    I had a feeling that you' would say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    I would've put money on it too!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I always loved this episode! The story is great, it has some lovely animation moments AND it has that great scene where He-man channels the storm through the sword.

If you want to show someone what the old MOTU toon was like, this is one of the best ones to show em!

One bummer is He-man's stupid smile when Battlcat releases him and I truly hate glowing jail cels!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Howdy

This episode is a great opener to season 2. The Grimolkin is a really cool villan, Kitrina is a very good character and we get to see Webstor in his first appearence, sporting a very unusual Squinch voice.

Yeah good story, some very nice special effects and a overal very enjoyable.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    HAHA, am I that painfully obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    I would've put money on it too!

I guess that I am!

Edit:
    Hey now, you KNOW it was deserving of the Best of......da. da. da.

Never underscore the powers of The Gods!!!
    Last edited by Kittrina; January 4, 2007 at 04:04am.

Chris here...

I watched "The Cat and the Spider" again recently, and was knocked out by it - I'd forgotten just how good it was! The whole storyline I think is outstandingly written, and the episode for me is a great example of the sort of engaging storytelling that the Filmation cartoon excelled at!

I would definitely give this episode a 9 out of 10, which is how I voted in the poll!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

Hun
    Cat and the Spider is very enjoyable. I like the Cat people and I like Webstor, although John Erwin could have given him a better voice. Nice to see Malaktha again.

"The Cat and the Spider" review

"The Cat and the Spider" is an enjoyable adventure, the first episode produced of the second season.

It is nice to see Melaktha again (first appearing in Season One's "The House of Shokoti"), and it is good to see Filmation giving some continuity away from the figure-based characters.
    But for an archeologist, Melaktha certainly is careless, and falls into the Temple of the Cat's trap pit very easily.

The first section of the episode has a rather Indiana Jones feel to it, with the temple and all of its many traps protecting its treasure.

He-Man performs of his "silly Filmation feats" (which I seem to be mentioning in just about every review), first pounding a chasm in the floor, and then tunneling upwards. I would much have preferred to use his brains to outwit the traps rather than this silly display. (That said, it doesn't really mar the episode overall in a big way).

Katrina is an interesting, well designed character, and would have made an excellent figure. She would have been very easy to produce too (maybe her action feature could have been spring-loaded arms to 'claw' with).

There is a great entrance, both in the episode and to the series overall, by Webstor, appearing from the top of the screen as he lowers himself into view on his grappling rope when Skeletor calls for him.
    Being the second season, Webstor marks the first of a number of additions to the toy-line making the transition to the cartoon series (after Clawful and the only-used-once Jitsu in season one, both seemingly being based upon prototypes).

Watch out too for Webstor's very own Wind Raider, complete with 'Spider's legs' on each side. The exact origin of this vehicle is never given; both the Heroic and Evil Warriors are seen to fly Sky Sleds in the series, but this is the only time an Evil Warrior is seen to have a Wind Raider - especially one customised for their own character. I would love to have seen this as a limited edition variant of the regular Wind Raider toy (ahh, we can but dream). Either way, this is the only time that we see Webstor's Wind Raider in the entire series.

This seems to be He-Man and the Heroic Warriors have encountered Webstor, as He-Man does not seem to recognise him or his Wind Raider. He-Man doesn't seem to know at first that he is working for Skeletor, commenting that he "seems to be heading for Snake Mountain".

The shot on the large monitor as He-Man talks to Teela from the Talon Fighter looks wrong, as there is no roof or back to the Talon Fighter, and we just see He-Man with moving clouds behind him.

Skeletor's intruder alarm is a bit lame, as He-Man is already in the central room of Snake Mountain before it goes off! Wouldn't want one of those protecting my house!

Meanwhile, Teela and Katrina are making a nice duo, especially when considering that the series isn't exactly overflowing with female characters.

Katrina's line "Well hello, big boy" when she lays eyes on Battle Cat is nice, and her whole rapport with him in the episode is wonderful.

The battle between Katrina and Webstor is great, with Katrina pulling some very feline moves, and is well animated, with Webstor ending up with his head stuck in the crystal that sits on the table in front of Skeletor's throne.

(As commented on the DVD notes), The room that Skeletor has He-Man held captive in, is actually Negator's prison recycled from the first season's "Game Plan". It is noticeable, as it is very different in design to the rest of Snake Mountain’s interior.

There is a good lesson from He-Man about what causes rain, even if it does feel like an educational segment shoehorned in. But it's a nice twist to the plot, and presented a bit more credible than some of the show's other ideas; and there's great shots of He-Man harnessing the lightning with his Power Sword.

It is really a shame that we never see Katrina in the series again, as she is an interesting character with a lot of potential. He kiss to Cringer at the end is interesting - I took it as a hint that maybe she knew his other identity as Battle Cat.
    Sadly, this would be Katrina's only appearance. However, she does get to deliver the episode's moral with Adam, which feels a bit special.
    The moral is how not to mistrust someone just because they are different. They didn't seem bothered about the dubious practice of removing artifacts from ancient temples, which was the whole start of the trouble in the first place!!

I found this a very enjoyable episode indeed.
    Although I have had the series on VHS for some years, I only had this episode in the 'Skeletor's Revenge' release, stuck in between "Day of the Machines" and "Trouble in Trolla". For some reason, I never particularly liked it in that format, and was one of my lesser watched episodes. Now that I've got the original version on DVD, I've come to rediscover it, and now rank it amongst season two's best offerings.
    I also feel that this episode had the potential to be made into a two-part story, with the first half of Adam and Melaktha exploring the Temple of the Cat and He-Man removing the Grimalkin statue, Katrina being sent to get it back, and Webstor snatching it away as the cliff-hanger. Part two could have featured more of Katrina and Teela, then Katrina and Battle Cat working together, more of Skeletor holding He-Man prisoner, and a bigger battle with the Grimalkin. It would have been great.
    In some ways, much of this episode has the feel and elements that you'd find in a typical 'She-Ra: Princess of Power' episode.
    All-in-all, a highly enjoyable adventure, with a great guest character in Katrina. I give this one 9.5 out 10. (9 points given in poll)
    Last edited by Spacedust; January 8, 2007 at 08:49pm.
    ~jay firestorm~

I've given it an 8. I loved it when I saw it for the first time recently. Kittrina's voice is so cool! That purring and meowing she does is fantastic. I especially love it when she flirts with Battle Cat and calls him Big Boy. My fave part is the end when she basically says she can't wait to see him again. At last he gets some action!
    Also the plot is very intriguing and mysterious.
    I think it was better than To Save Skeletor and wolud've preferred to seee it on the Best of.
    P.S. I'd love to see a cat fight between Kittrina and Catra!
    Beware Scorpios... they sting!

This was an exceptional episode, with a genuinely unpredictable plot line, and some nice twists and turns.

I also liked the Kittrina character a lot (it's interesting that she delivered the moral along with Prince Adam at the end of the episode - kind of makes you think she'd be back again - too bad she wasn't).

He-Man channelling, and using, lightning was a nice trick - that's what seals the deal on a great episode for me.

I wonder who Kittrina's voice actress was?

9/10 for myself.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

wow u skipped alot of season 1, i hope u get back to them soon cause theres still a few good eps left
    anyway this episode is to me a pretty good ep i give it a 8
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    wow u skipped alot of season 1, i hope u get back to them soon cause theres still a few good eps left
    anyway this episode is to me a pretty good ep i give it a 8
    Yes, there about about 7 or 8 late season ones episodes not yet covered. I thought, new year and all, start hacking away at season two, maybe drum up a bit more interest (as this particular ep seems to have done). The odd missing season one ep will be mixed in accourdingly.
    ~jay firestorm~

I voted 10 out of 10. "Cat" is one of my favorite non-Sorceress eps. Not only is the plot, moral, and guest character Kittrina awesome, but the action rocks.

I love the temple scene. It's a great way to showcase He-Man's strength, and I love how he "flys" through the stone floor like it's peanut butter.

The fight between Teela and Kittrina was interesting too. Kittrina rocked because she had such great chemistry with established characters like Teela and Battlecat. It's a crime they didn't get to do more scenes with her. She definitely shoulda made a comeback appearance.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Heroic Warrior
    This is a fairly decent episode but no way would I say it's one of the best. The whole storyline didn't grab me. Although I will say it's a good opener to season 2, such as the way it introduced Webstor, had Kittrinna flirting with Battle Cat and when Battle Cat gets thrown of the monster he gets really scared which is something quite out of character for Battle Cat, I found that interesting. I would give it a passable 5/10.

Heroic Warrior
    It f-in rocked...does that answer your question

It equals Prob with P as far as I'm concerned !
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I voted 10 out of 10. "Cat" is one of my favorite non-Sorceress eps. Not only is the plot, moral, and guest character Kittrina awesome, but the action rocks.

I love the temple scene. It's a great way to showcase He-Man's strength, and I love how he "flys" through the stone floor like it's peanut butter.

The fight between Teela and Kittrina was interesting too. Kittrina rocked because she had such great chemistry with established characters like Teela and Battlecat. It's a crime they didn't get to do more scenes with her. She definitely shoulda made a comeback appearance.
    Right on! I voted 10 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Man's Lover View Post
    P.S. I'd love to see a cat fight between Kittrina and Catra!

RE: Catfight between Kittrina and Catra? Keep an eye in Fan Fict - I'm writing Kittrina in Canadian He Man's "Masters of the Universe: Alien Hopes and Threats."

Don't write Fan Fict often, mostly because of my book, but I agreed for this since there is a whole chapter about Kittrina and her people.
    Last edited by Kittrina; January 23, 2007 at 12:20am.

Very cool episode! I voted 8!

One of the best episodes.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...