View Poll Results: How do you rate the classic Trap Jaw figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

0 0%
  • 2 points

0 0%
  • 3 points

0 0%
  • 4 points

0 0%
  • 5 points

1 2.13%
  • 6 points

0 0%
  • 7 points

2 4.26%
  • 8 points

8 17.02%
  • 9 points

7 14.89%
  • 10 points

29 61.70%

Thread: Trap Jaw classic figure review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Trap Jaw classic figure review thread

Here we go with another classic figure review thread, and I've been looking forward to this one, it's one of my all-time favourites... TRAP JAW!

Well... where to begin... Trap Jaw is just great!!

I got my Trap Jaw by collecting proofs of purchases from the backs of figure's boxes that I already had, and sending them off to the UK MOTU fan-club. There were several to choose from, but I had to have Trap Jaw.
    It seemed to take weeks for him to arrive. Then finally, one rainy morning, the postman tried to deliver him, but I was at school and my Mum and Dad had already left for work. So after school, my Mum drove me down to the sorting office. I had a heavy cold and we had to wait for ages... but finally I got him, finally he was mine. I had Trap Jaw!!

(BTW, my Trap Jaw came with the glow-in-the-dark Warrior's Ring. It was too small to fit anything inside it, and it was really rough on my finger... but I loved it, I had to wear it 24-7!)

Trap Jaw was just awesome. His jaw... his changeable mechanical arm... the loop on top of his head... TJ had so many features for one figure.

Of course, Trappy was adapted from the 'Big Jim' figure 'Iron Jaw' figure. But it was a design well cycled.

In his mini-comic, 'The Menace of Trap Jaw!', Trap Jaw appeared with a green body. I like him with both blue and green body. It was nice that the 200x revamp released a variation figure with this colour scheme (more of the 200x version in a bit).

For some reason, my Trappy's jaw never had much spring. I can't remember if it came like it, or if it was through play. I didn't realise that they were meant to be quite so springy, until I started collecting MOTU seriously years later.

But his changeable arms... simple but classic. The rifle, the claw, the hook... one for every occasion! The only thing that I sometimes wished, was that the mechanical arm was jointed in the middle, but that was only a small niggle and didn't really matter. And of course, he had a cool belt, to hang the two attachments that weren't being used on.
    It would have been cool, in the Weapons Pak, if they had provided a couple of extra attachments for his arm. Ah, we can dream...

And to top it all, the little loop on top of his helmet, to thread string through, so he would slide down it into battle. Ahh, the hours of fun I had with such a simple concept. Trap Jaw was the ultimate armed warrior.

In my MOTU battles, I used to have Trap Jaw as a twisted creator, who built most of Skeletor's machines. I thought that he would have been better suited to this role than Tri Klops in the 200x version. In my stories, I often used to have Trappy stealing Man-At-Arms' designs for machines and vehicles from Castle Grayskull (my Heroic Warriors used to live in Grayskull, as there was no Royal Palace play-set). And Trappy hated Man-At-Arms!

Trap Jaw was a regular in the Filmation cartoon. Naturally, he was presented as pretty dumb, but had some good appearances.

The 200x revamp of the figure was great. They made him look really menacing. His arm was given much more detail, and had a spring-loaded joint in the middle. As with many 200x revamps, my only slight gripe is that they dulled the colours down a bit too much. But that doesn't matter - 200x Trap Jaw is great! One of the best of the 200x line!

In the MYP cartoon he was pretty good. I didn't like how his jaw was made out to be a metal plate worn over his real jaw though. I like to think that his whole jaw is replaced with a metal one.

All-in-all, behind Faker, Trap Jaw ties with Tri Klops as much all-time favourite MOTU figure.

I give Trap Jaw a solid 10 out of 10.

Well, there are just some of my ramblings. I'd like to hear your thoughts, comments, memories... anything Trap Jaw related. And don't forget to vote with your score!
    Last edited by Spacedust; January 26, 2007 at 06:54pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Hm Trap Jaw Great figure! I give him a 10/10!
    Vintage Motu Wants

Ninjor's Bow and Sword
    Scare Glow Staff and halbred
    King randor Staff and crown
    Sorceress Staff
    Two-Badd Shield x 2
    Stinkor Shield

Pm me if you can help

One thing I forgot to mention about Trappy, was that it was fun to yank his mechanical arm off and give it to other figures. It went particularly well on Faker, making him rather Borg-like.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

The best figure from the vintage and 200X line. 10/10. I think TJ was my third figure. I could allways play with him endlessly. So many possibilities. I allways put the robot arm on hordak creating his cannon arm (I didn't have Hurricane Hordak). I agree they should have giving him articulation on his special arm. You also couldn't hang his hook attachment on his belt.

A always wished TJ was able to bend his arm like the box art.
    But still, he was a figure that you could have hours of fun with!!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Horrorist View Post
    You also couldn't hang his hook attachment on his belt.
    You could if you hung it from the hook end.
    ~jay firestorm~

You see, with MOTU you allways keep learning new stuff.

9/10

I loved this figure so much, I used to play with the jaw endlessly, having him "chomp" things was a great source of entertainment. He was a detailed figure with really cool accessories, who's multiple arms allowed him to get in and out of all kinds of situations in my games.

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

Great deals so far: slgcmg; slothboy; Luigispice; Bosskmr; Fairyheart; Robertytus; Mighty Puundragon

Heroic Warrior
    I give the figure an 8/10
    To my mind, the fact that the weapons are black and not red like in the cartoon is great. Compairing to other figures from that time TJ is a very detailed figure, I love figures with various accesories.
    The main weak point I find in TJ is that the claw and the hook are a bit short and small. On the other hand the laser (which is my favourite TJ´s weapon) rocks.

Heroic Warrior
    I always thought this was an exceptional figure.
    Pathors Cub is the son of Panthor and the cat version of Catra.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Love the Trapjaw figure, one of my all time favourite figures from the line. However I never owned one until WAAAAY down the line. I really liked his eye-catching colours (blue, lime-green and reddish-pink works very well with the black)

The new Trapjaw figure by the 4HM is also very good, but was ruined by changing the lime green to dark green.

Figure Rating - 10/10

Trap jaw was another faverit of mine. me and my brother played him as a guy from another dimension. just like the mini comic, and had a tough time defeating him after he absorbs power from Grayskull. I allso used to like him to get ahold of eternium. like in the toon if he ate some of that he was a real problem for He man. untill the efects wore of, so trap jaw a real clasic I have to give him a perfect 10.

Heroic Warrior

trap jaw

One of the most unique of the early lines of figures. And so many features in one figure. Not to mention alot of accessories. If there is a drawback to trapjaw, it was that his accessories cound not be used with other figures like the more standard weapons and armor could. But lets face it, trap jaw was and is among the coolest.

adam

Great figure, great design and more accessories! Voted 9!

One of the best figure of the original line.
    9 for me.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...