View Poll Results: How do you rate the classic Buzz-Off figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

0 0%
  • 2 points

0 0%
  • 3 points

0 0%
  • 4 points

0 0%
  • 5 points

0 0%
  • 6 points

3 9.38%
  • 7 points

8 25.00%
  • 8 points

11 34.38%
  • 9 points

6 18.75%
  • 10 points

4 12.50%

Thread: Buzz-Off classic figure review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Buzz-Off classic figure review thread

I haven't had much time to get on to the forum this week due to family circumstances, but have just grabbed a few minutes to pop on and start this week's classic figure review thread - everyone's favourite bee warrior, BUZZ-OFF.

I remember when Buzz-Off was very first released; my friends and I at school, seeing the figure listed on the back-of-box art of other figures before seeing the actual Buzz-Off figure in person, thought that Buzz-Off was an Evil Warrior. His whole design seemed to fit the bill of being a villain, and after all, the Heroic Warriors already had a flying warrior with Stratos. Of course, when we saw the figure in person, we soon realised that he wasn't an Evil Warrior - no-one with such a cheerful grin could be evil!!

I never had a Buzz-Off figure during my original time of MOTU collecting as a child, but he was one of the first figures that I bought when I started re-collecting the line seriously. He was just so bright and novel, I really loved him. He is also one of the figures that my father likes from the line, always referring to him as "Bee Man".
    Maybe his only small minus point is his over-cheerful grin, but it doesn't really matter to any great extent, and is no more goofy than several other vintage figure's faces.

The figure came with an add-on 'bug eyes' helmet, and a brown variation of the standard Castle Grayskull axe, with an additional handle to supposedly make it possible for the figure's claw hands to hold - although in reality, it was really awkward for him to hold properly.

The vintage Buzz-Off figure seems to be one of the most common on the second hand market, in my own personal experience. At one stage I had around 20 examples of the figure! I even had one with the wings stuck on the wrong way (ie. the detailing facing forwards, not backwards); whether this was a production run fault, or just a one-off fluke, I don't know.

I thought it would be great if Buzz-Off had an Evil Warrior counterpart, a wasp (named Waspo!!). They could even have recycled the bulk of the mold parts - and we all know how Mattel loved to recycle parts!

An early prototype of character seems to be mentioned in the bible for the Filmation cartoon series, where he is a bug-type character called "Bugg Off".

In the Filmation series, Buzz Off appeared regularly during the show's second season, and on many occasions was paired with Mekaneck. I quite liked the character, even if his voice could be a little grating.

The 200x revamp of the figure stuck very close to the original's concept and design, giving it a more detailed and insect-like update. It included antennas on the figure's head, and four little insect... things, on its back. They also toned down his over-happy smile (the Four Horsemen themselves said that the original's face looked a little too cheerful), making the new version looking like it means business a little more. I love the update, it keeps the basis of the original with a gentle update; it is one of my very favourite 200x revamps.

All-in-all, I really like Buzz-Off. He is such a fun and unique character, and stands as one of my favourite post-first two wave figures of the original line.
    I give Buzz-Off 9 out of 10.

Well, that's my thoughts on the character.
    I'd love to hear your own thoughts, comments, memories... anything to do with Buzz-Off.
    Last edited by Spacedust; February 2, 2007 at 05:43pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Buzz Off is for me the figure that started it all. A friend of mine had a bunch of motu figs, vehicles and playsets. Buzz Off really stood out for me. I saved until I had enough money to get my first motu figure: Buzz Off. I played with him all the time. Years later his wings broke off, such a shame. Also lost his axe and eventually the wings.

Recently I bought a new one. But I still have the old one. He's residing in the Fright Zone's prison like on the box art.

The 200x update is one of the best together with Trap-jaw. I really like the legs and the extra mini legs.

I love the Buzz-Off fig. I get all those nostalgic feelings just looking at him, I gave him a 9 because he can't hold his axe, but ya know I still think I should have given him a ten. That goofy looking toy with his stupid smile not being able to hold its own axe is just part of its charm. Yup, its official, I love the vintage Buzz-Off.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

BUZZ-OFF goes down being not only my Favorite as a child, but still to this day as I now re-collect all my favorite MOTU figures as a child which most of them I still have today! Basically growing up all you would hear coming from my mouth as a child was the buzzing of his wings while I stormed around my parents house pretending to be him in this endless flight to capture all villians and also help me fix my peanut butter and jelly sandwich which I must add...
    This character will always be my favorite and if you asked me who would be He-Man's best sidekick? Well, it would have to be BUZZ-OFF!!!!

Buzz-Off glows to me and I cant keep my hands off this figure! I would score this character at a 10! Let's all keep the BUZZ Going!!!

Luke

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I love the Buzz-Off figure, he's one of my favourites, there's just something about him which is just cool. The colours are very eye-catching and the sea-through wings are great. I really like the new update too, I like how he is more insect-like and looks more powerful than the original.

Figure Rating - 9/10

I never had a Buzz-Off figure myself and it wasn't one of those I always wanted to have when I was young.

Buzz-Off is OK for me - but as there are other He-Man figs out there I like more - I gave him 7/10.
    Chuck Norris isst keinen Honig, er kaut Bienen.

my app.net account

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    They also toned down his over-happy smile (the Four Horsemen themselves said that the original's face looked a little too cheerful), making the new version looking like it means business a little more.
    Now this is something I love about the new figure - and yet he could have been even cooler than what we have now. If you go to the 4H's website, they have a 2-up there that looks a lot darker than the Buzz-Off update we got from Mattel. I'm talking Donnie Darko dark - as his face looks uncannily like that damn black rabbit..

See what I mean? A LOT scarier! Too bad he was toned down for the current version - although it rocked, too.

Anyhoo - on to the review. Yes, I loved Buzz-Off as a kid and still do today. More than anything, I loved to stare at his chest design. Those stripes were so unique at the time, and I simply loved the yellow and brown colour scheme given to him. Of course his pinchers were also kewl, and his wings were nice, but man - that chest was just like eye candy to me.
    I never used his goofy helmet - but loved his mace. Not much else to add except that he was good, simple fun.

8/10.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by discosupafly View Post
    Now this is something I love about the new figure - and yet he could have been even cooler than what we have now. If you go to the 4H's website, they have a 2-up there that looks a lot darker than the Buzz-Off update we got from Mattel. I'm talking Donnie Darko dark - as his face looks uncannily like that damn black rabbit..

See what I mean? A LOT scarier! Too bad he was toned down for the current version - although it rocked, too.
    If ever there was a "Wasp-o" counterpart as I have envisaged for many years, he should look as scary as that Buzz-Off statue!!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

8/10

One of my first figures that I too had lots of fun with. The wings and his flying ability opened up all new dimensions of play for my games.

I also never had much use for the helmet...I never quite understood it's purpose. Safety I guess? But for me there is no such thing as a bad accessory. I may not use them but figures should always come with a bunch.
    Always looking for new clients!

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

8/10

A great figure although not in my top 10
    Vintage Motu Wants

Ninjor's Bow and Sword
    Scare Glow Staff and halbred
    King randor Staff and crown
    Sorceress Staff
    Two-Badd Shield x 2
    Stinkor Shield

Pm me if you can help

I've always loved this figure, but hated his name. It was just...silly. I still don't care for it much.

My uncle, the man responsible for much if not most of my MotU collection as a child, just gave it to me out of the blue one day.

As for the backwards wings, you can easily take the wings off and put them back on either way, so I doubt that was a production error. I did that all the time with mine as a kid. I prefered the details facing forward.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

I allways thought of buzz off as one of He mans closest friends. him and mecaneck where He mans main allies, thats the inpression I got. from one of the mini comics, I used buzz offs hellment as an advanced binoculars untill they became lost in battle. witch they where prone to do, but buzz off could see any bad guy come'ing for miles. two bad they did'int have those invisable elasstic bands. back then I would have kept his hellment on, I allso used to like him as another fly'ing ram man. and he would to a flying rams into evil warriors. but he would hurt hiss head without his hellmelt. so Skellertor would allways take his hellment. to prevent the flying ram'ing, I remember buzz of foundly, and was one of my faverits. but ill have to give buzz off a 9 for the slight gooffyness, of the face sculp. and not being able to keep his hellment on securely.

I' am not fond this figure, I prefer it in the cartoon. Vote 6

I always loved original Buzz Off figure.
    8 for me.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...