36 43.37%
  • No

48 57.83%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow poll

Court Magician

Bow poll

Is Bow a really really **** character, or have I judged him wrong?
    Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor....come in you royal BOOB!

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    He does have arrogance, which gives his personality more depth and interest, but he's a good guy at heart. He's one of my favorite characters.

One thing I would change though is that heart symbol on his chest. It just doesn't "fit" imo.
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; January 21, 2007 at 05:23am.

I generally like Bow's personality a lot, but the main problem is that they didn't let him truly shine enough in combat situations.

Looking over the series, it's almost like he's the Ken doll to the Red Knight, General Sundar, and Seahawk's G.I. Joe.

Basically, he tends to come off as the least-effective-in-battle named male fighter on PoP. That's really bad when you're in a show with a female lead.

As I've said before, they should have went full-tilt Robin Hood with the character. I would have even given him his own version of the Merry-Men - an archer division for the Rebellion, if you will.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_He-Man View Post

As I've said before, they should have went full-tilt Robin Hood with the character. I would have even given him his own version of the Merry-Men - an archer division for the Rebellion, if you will.
    ANd they all be singing "We're men in tights" with him beign the lead singer

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_He-Man View Post
    I generally like Bow's personality a lot, but the main problem is that they didn't let him truly shine enough in combat situations.

Looking over the series, it's almost like he's the Ken doll to the Red Knight, General Sundar, and Seahawk's G.I. Joe.

Basically, he tends to come off as the least-effective-in-battle named male fighter on PoP. That's really bad when you're in a show with a female lead.
    Really? I thought he was plenty effective in combat. He never missed with his bow, right? And there were times when he was very effective in a non-combat situation---i.e., going to The Fright Zone to rescue someone, etc. I realize I'm biased because he's become a new favorite of mine since rediscovering the show on DVD, so naturally I'll focus on his shining moments with his bow, but I don't think he was "least-effective"---and also, isn't he the only named male fighter in POP? lol At least throughout 1.1., and not counting Seahawk, who only has 2 appearances (so far) and isn't with The Rebellion. As far as the Rebellion goes, I think Glimmer is the least-effective member---at least in 1.1.

And Bow only comes off as lesser than The Red Knight because The Red Knight cheated. Well, IMO he did. I don't think his lance should have been allowed in the competition. It seems like it would be in the rules for all of the contestants to be at an equal advantage, not let one have a "one-up" over the others.

I think he's annoying as hell.... On the other hand, I don't think they could have done anything better with him... he was just that one male they had to stick in the show....

Court Magician
    He just always seems to eff things up for the rebellion and cause trouble with his sulking. He also resents being ordered about by women

Thats one point in his favour I guess.

Heroic Warrior
    Bows a great character.
    Give a Hoot Don't Pollute!

I'm not a huge Bow fan, but I like the interaction between him and Kowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Really? I thought he was plenty effective in combat. He never missed with his bow, right?
    He's an outstanding archer, yes, I'll give him that.

I just think that he should have been a little bit more swashbuckling in his overall demeanour and style.

Take the best aspects of Seahawk, and the best aspects of Bow, and you'd have the perfect male interest for Adora/She-Ra.

As is, you have a reformed pirate who rarely shows up, and an archer who needs a bit more effectiveness and zeal.

Bow's character design/personality is largely fine. It's pretty effective for what he's supposed to be actually (i.e. the main male supporting character for a female lead in a cartoon).

And there were times when he was very effective in a non-combat situation---i.e., going to The Fright Zone to rescue someone, etc. I realize I'm biased because he's become a new favorite of mine since rediscovering the show on DVD, so naturally I'll focus on his shining moments with his bow, but I don't think he was "least-effective"---and also, isn't he the only named male fighter in POP? lol
    At least throughout 1.1., and not counting Seahawk, who only has 2 appearances (so far) and isn't with The Rebellion. As far as the Rebellion goes, I think Glimmer is the least-effective member---at least in 1.1.
    I agree, especially since Glimmer is pretty much ABSENT in 1.1

He-Man shows up more than Glimmer does in 1.1.

And Bow only comes off as lesser than The Red Knight because The Red Knight cheated. Well, IMO he did. I don't think his lance should have been allowed in the competition. It seems like it would be in the rules for all of the contestants to be at an equal advantage, not let one have a "one-up" over the others.
    That's a good point.

For me, Bow was the touch point for male watchers of the She-Ra show when He-Man/Sea Hawk wasn't there (i.e. at least 75% of the time), and hence they should have let him shine a bit more.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

There was a lot of potential for Bow to be a cool character, but instead we kind of got stuck with a schmuck who more often than not turned his bow into a harp to twiddle some embarrassing tune that wouldn't even amuse a three year-old. I never cared much for his design either... in fact, I just recently put in the bonus dvd and "flipped" through the series bible, and the design they sketched out originally, in addition to being moustache-less, just looks a bit... edgier to me- something I would have preferred. I know this sounds strange, but I really think he should have been the male Teela on She-Ra's show. Someone who acted a bit younger with a bit more attitude (not necessarilly arrogance) and a tad hot-tempered.

Fsmiler

Bow

Bow doesn't suck.
    Granted he's a bit arrogant
    I enjoyed that episode
    Bow's Farewell
    And Play it again Bow
    Great comedic moments with Adora and others as well.

Yes he does as well as his singing!

bow

bow suffers by being a boy on a girls show they tend to take a back seat.(i kinda like him though even if his fig wears lipstick lol!!)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

A big fan of Slush Head
    Bow has potential but he wasn't used properly which is why many hate him.
    Arrogant, clumpsy and pretty bad in battle situations. He deserved a better role.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    Arrogant, clumpsy and pretty bad in battle situations. He deserved a better role.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Plus it had to be hard for him trying to impress all these women he was around.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

"Does Bow suck?"

That's one hell of an ambiguous question, mate!

No, but seriously: I liked him as a toy, not so much as a cartoonster.
    But hey, he was the token guy, like Teela was the token girl with the Classics. You just can't help it I guess.
    ...devotion - and some appreciation, little heavy rotation - oh, looks good on me!

Bow was an alright character that had his moments. Saying that I'll agree with other folks that he had some flaws. But I wouldn't say he sucks.

If the 200x relaunch series had continued I would have been interested how his character was handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    Arrogant, clumsy and pretty bad in battle situations. He deserved a better role.
    I don't think many "hate" him. And he's arrogant, yes, but not so much clumsy or bad in battle, IMO.

Court Magician
    I hate him.

I'd like to shove that Bow somewhere painful. It wasn't the arrogance that got to me, more the sulking and the singing.

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    I think Bow was cool, though he needed a shave, the Robin Hood moustache was far too village people, though he provided an amusing element of campness without being a cute animal thing. I don't like the way he and Kowl were portrayed almost like boyfriends with the bickering and tension between them however.
    Ditch kowl, let Bow shine a bit more and toughen him up and you've got one cool character!
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    One thing I would change though is that heart symbol on his chest. It just doesn't "fit" imo.
    Oh, it most certainly does!

Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    I don't like the way he and Kowl were portrayed almost like boyfriends with the bickering and tension between them however.
    Lol, well guy friends can bicker. Kinda like Eric and Lorne from "Dungeons & Dragons" too. I didn't get the "boyfriend" vibe---maybe because Kowl is a creature, lol. At first rediscovering these episodes I started liking both characters of Bow and Kowl, then all of a sudden Kowl started insulting Bow and I was like what the--? What's his beef with him? Then I saw that it was a back and forth thing, but it just seemed kind of odd to have Kowl "suddenly" be annoyed with Bow as part of their interaction. I guess the writers just thought that was an interesting aspect, to have them "belittling buddies", lol.

Heroic Warrior
    Why was not the figure made like the MOTU male figures just does not seem to fit

Bow used to irritate me as a kid. Now, not so much. But it annoys me that he gets more screen time than some of the other girls do. I mean great, he's the Teela of POP...

OK, so maybe I do still hate him a little...
    Leeloomina´ Lekatariba Lamina-Tcha´ Ekbat De Sebat