Thread: How to: Make your staction stand on his own two feet?

Kickin' It Old Skool! Alex The Kid's Avatar

How to: Make your staction stand on his own two feet?

Hey guys,

Last night I attemped to get Webstor standing on his own two feet by heating up his legs with a hair dryer and repositioning his wonky right leg so he can stand more upright without the need of his base and peg. You see, I'd like to display my stactions one day, but I don't want them neccessarily held up by their pegs because some characters ie. Mantenna, Webstor, Hordak aren't really positioned correctly on their bases or tend to lean forward without the support of their peg.
    My attempt was without success!

So with this thread I appeal to all our experienced Orgers or people who have managed to get their stactions standing straight; for abit of your time to help us Orgers without practise with some step by step directions.

Now the biggest problem I had was holding my staction in place while heating up his leg at the same time, I kept heating up my fingers instead. Also how long would you recommend we heat up the faulty limb/waist for? How do you get the limb/waist to stay once you have it in place?

Yes, the fact that a few of the Stactions can't stand without the bases is annoying. Personally, I like the bases 'cause I don't display all my MOTU in one spot. I have them dotted around the house and my office so the stactions look more like what they are: statues.

I just got Webby yesterday and I could tell straight away that there was no way that bad boy was gonna stand without his base. I reckon by the time you got him to stand without it he would lean too far back. I like his hunched look. Nice and evil.

Heroic Warrior
    Take a hair dryer lay the figure down on a surface lay the hair dryer down with it aimed at the feet. turn the hair dryer on high and let it blow man leave it for 2-5 min no need to hold on to it. while you wait fill a bowl with cold water and ice. when the feet are soft enough, take the figure and point the toes down, hold it in that position while you dunk it into the water hold it there for a bit and when you feel it's cooled down enough to hold the shape let the figure sit there for a bit.

what I like to do after a while is put it in the freezer overnight. now to get hordak mantenna and webstor to really stay the way I wanted I had to bend the foot to a position that wouln'd allow them to stand at all because it will try to return to the orignal position so over extending it allowed them to return to a proper position. any way after removing from the freezer I just let them rest at room temperature for a few hours to a day after that they got to a point where they could stand and in the case of hordak and mantenna they have been standing perfect ever since - Webstor well I just recently got him so I can't confirm the long term success yet. but he isn't leaning backwards he is still hunched over nicely.

my Teela figure however didn't need an extreme over extending one treatment and a gentle angle proved wonders. keep trying it's well worth it in the end.

a quick fix for webstor that might work, put his excess webbing just under the fron of his toe on the left foot that worked for me initially but it annoyed me that i had to do that

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex The Kid View Post
    Hey guys,

Last night I attemped to get Webstor standing on his own two feet by heating up his legs with a hair dryer and repositioning his wonky right leg so he can stand more upright without the need of his base and peg. You see, I'd like to display my stactions one day, but I don't want them neccessarily held up by their pegs because some characters ie. Mantenna, Webstor, Hordak aren't really positioned correctly on their bases or tend to lean forward without the support of their peg.
    My attempt was without success!

So with this thread I appeal to all our experienced Orgers or people who have managed to get their stactions standing straight; for abit of your time to help us Orgers without practise with some step by step directions.

Now the biggest problem I had was holding my staction in place while heating up his leg at the same time, I kept heating up my fingers instead. Also how long would you recommend we heat up the faulty limb/waist for? How do you get the limb/waist to stay once you have it in place?
    I know using a hairdryer is a very popular way of doing it, but in my customizing I've found it takes way too long, doesn't get hot enough and burns your hands! I recomend boiling a pot of water, and just hold the legs or whateevr you want to reposition inthere for about 5 seconds. Than you can position him however you want him to be, and hold him in that place for 1-2 minutes and they will stay that way for good. Just hold the cool part of his body so you don't burn yourself, and you are all set!
    and no, it won't damage the paint. I get asked that all the time and I've been boiling figures for 10 years and never once damaged any paint unless I did it myself, lol...

Kickin' It Old Skool! Alex The Kid's Avatar
    Some fantastic tips here guys!

Thanks to The Cimmerian and customcrazy for their ealry posts... can't wait to give each a go.

Keep 'em coming!

I do something a lot easier to have some of my figures who can't stand be okay, and it doesn't involve boiling or anything like that. I use those clear twist ties they use to keep our figures held in their packages. I cut a small piece of the twist tie, then place it under one or both of the figures feet, and you don't even notice it's there. And I haven't had a single figure fall yet. Just an alternative idea I thought I'd share.

Three words: art gum eraser.

Heroic Warrior
    see something is wrong with me - I don't like knowing that my figures are using artificial means for support. it just gets to me. haha so i do my best to make them self reliant teach a man to fish and all that.

i even hate keeping those clear elastics on them.

This is more of a complicated customizer solution but ...

Here's what I do:

Take a good sized pin or needle, snip it to the right length with wire cutters and push the pointed end (you'll need a thimble or something like it) into the spot(s) under the feet that need propped up or adjusted. Don't push too hard or you'll go through the top of the foot (I did it but it still looks fine anyway.)

Yeah, it puts a tiny hole in the statue but it works. Also, be careful with the bottom of the pin tip. It will scratch your shelves if you slide the statue around. Mine didn't do any real harm cuz I have my statues on those white melanine shelves.

I've only had to do this for Clamp Champ, Mantenna, Tung Lashor and She-Ra. I knew Webstor would need this just by looking at him.

This method is kinda cool cuz it stays in place, it's not really noticable and it involves no boiling and freezing.