View Poll Results: How do you rate the classic Kobra Khan figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

1 1.82%
  • 2 points

1 1.82%
  • 3 points

0 0%
  • 4 points

1 1.82%
  • 5 points

2 3.64%
  • 6 points

4 7.27%
  • 7 points

6 10.91%
  • 8 points

17 30.91%
  • 9 points

12 21.82%
  • 10 points

11 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kobra Khan classic figure review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Kobra Khan classic figure review thread

This week's selected classic figure is... KOBRA KHAN.

I got Kobra Khan as a kid one time when we went on holiday to Guernsey. Several relations had given me money to spend - I think they intended it to go on ice creams and rock and what not, but I persuaded my parents to let me spent my money on a new MOTU figure, and chose the newly release Kobra Khan. (For overseas readers, Guernsey is a little island off of mainland U.K., near the similar Jersey).

This Kobra Khan was French. Being too young at that stage to really know about different country versions, I'm not sure if it was just fluke (as the odd French-produced figure occasionally turned up in mainland U.K. toyshops), or if Guernsey fell under French distribution zone and had French figures.
    French KK is the same as the regular, with the colours maybe just very slightly darker than the regular version.
    If they did sell exclusively French-produced toys, I could have really cleaned up, with some great variations, but as I say, was too young to really comprehend it.

I had great fun playing with Khan on the beach. Running down to the sea to fill him up, running back, and finding it "hilarious" when I squirted him at my Dad. Only drawback of this beach play was that a few granules of sand got into the pump mechanism, making it less smooth.

Khan's feature, as with so many great MOTU figures, was simple but effective. Fill him up with water, put his head back on, press down... watch as he squirted his venom at his victims.

Even before the Snake Men were conceived, I used to have Kobra Khan as a sort of loner, one of Skeletor's minions but very much his own boss. For some reason, I always imagined him speaking with a French accent - maybe because my figure was made in France!

I always thought it was kind of cool how you could take KK's head off, like it had been chopped off in battle, and have it slide across the ground, with the pump mechanism like all entrails... ...okay, so I was a messed up kid!!

Kobra Khan was a regular in the second season of the Filmation cartoon series, often teamed with Webstor, who was released at the same time. In the cartoon, his venom mist protruded from his "ears" (or whatever you'd term them as); I always thought it was a shame that the figure didn't have these.

Of course, later, the Snake Men were introduced to the toy-line, and Kobra Khan, being a snake man, was incorporated into them. He was presented as a sort of go-between of the Snake Men and Skeletor, but generally (although not always) more sided with Skeletor (unlike the 200x version, more of this in a moment).

The 200x revamp figure was very good. I liked how the figure now had Khan's "ears" (or whatevers). The only annoying thing was that I found it impossible to make him hold his gun properly.
    The MYP cartoon gave KK more depth, as a lackey of Skeletor's intent on helping his Snake Men brothers back into power.
    Interesting to note that the 200x figure was boxed as 'Venom Spitting Khan'. I've heard rumour that it was due to copyright conflict, with another toy-line holding the rights to "Kobra Khan" or very similar.

Not sure how to rate Kobra Khan. When I think of MOTU, I wouldn't necessarily immediately think of him as a particular favourite, but I did like the character, and had lots of fun playing with him.

I give Kobra Khan... 8 out of 10.

That's my ramblings.
    I'd like to hear your thoughts, comments, memories... anything Kobra Khan-related. And don't forget to vote with your rating!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

10/10 1 of my favorite figures and also me my 1st figure I ever bought!
    Vintage Motu Wants

Ninjor's Bow and Sword
    Scare Glow Staff and halbred
    King randor Staff and crown
    Sorceress Staff
    Two-Badd Shield x 2
    Stinkor Shield

Pm me if you can help

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    To me back then, he was one of the coolest-looking figures out there with his greenness and the shape of his mouth (things I love about Leech too), and my sister and I have fond memories of squirting his feel-good mist in our own and each other's faces.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Kahn was a great character and figure, but doesn't rank that high to me in comparison to other figures/characters.

I used to wash my face as a kid by spraying his mist into it.

And yeah, I too used to have his head chopped off in battle. Woot!

He was the only Snakemen I particularly liked from the classic line. Some of the others were OK, but I was never much of a fan of them.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

Quote Originally Posted by Lioncourt View Post
    He was the only Snakemen I particularly liked from the classic line. Some of the others were OK, but I was never much of a fan of them.
    Same here. Some of them were not bad in concept as toys, but I think for me personally, they were released too late in the original line's life for me to really fully accept them as part of the MOTU fodder.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Ahhh, Kahny, one of my favorite Snake men.

I got Classic Kahn last year and while I have yet to try his 'mist' feature, I LOVE the figure. It was Simple, yet enjoyable, One of the Best examples of why Classic MOTU rocked so much.
    The Truth of Love will always Guide Us.
    Vist Vist Hunter's edge, The Home of Transfromers:Eterina!

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    i love kobra khan . he was one of my best figures

Vegor-Friend of Animals jakobinsane's Avatar
    Hell always be an evil warrior to me. Yes, I loved this figure. The water, the colors, the snakeness, he was awesome. Plus the great stale water taste when you sprayed him into your mouth. And he was one of the best ways to get you sister wet, with an evil warrior.
    Erie Americana Punk Rock
    http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus...20050215140632
    Saving lives everyday!!
    http://www.veganoutreach.org and http://www.peta.com

H.E.A.L. Human Earth and Animal Liberation

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Khan is one of my favourite characters out of MOTU and the classic figure is very good. I think I had him towards the end of the line, but had loads of fun with the spray feature. I think the charm of the figure is because its simple looking and has an affective action feature.

Figure Rating - 8/10

I can remember haveing the hardest time fighting Kobra Khan, with my brother. you just couldint get close to him, he would spray you with his mist and knock you out.but I used to try to have some guys inmune to his mist, like certain guys that have their face covered by armor like Mekaneck. Man at arms and Extender. these same figures would have limited inmunity to stinkors smell. I remember Kobra Khan as a very tough evil warrior. who could take out most heroic warriors with his mist. so ill give him an allmost perfect score of 9 out of 10.

Definitely one of the coolest figures EVER!!

I also give him 8 out of 10

And I also had him as a sort of loner - a mercenary... kind of how they used Webstor in the MYP cartoon...

I remember EVERYONE wanting him when he came out, but of course, he was impossible to find, at first...

It was Christmas-time and I wasn't allowed to get any MOTU stuff for a month or two beforehand

I put KK at the top of my Christmas list... and then Christmas came and.. he WAS NOT THERE!!

I was SO jipped... but I liked what I had received, so i started opening the things I had and one of those things was the new BIGGER giant yellow MOTU action figure carrying case (twice the size AT LEAST as the red one)... I opened it and BAM! KK was in there!! In the package sideways...

"Santa" had crammed it in there - and it was the BEST surprise that Christmas... I SCREAMED and my mom got such a huge kick out of me being so excited... I love her

Anyway, he was so cool and the mist was amazing and put ALL the figures to sleep

I must have misted my mom 50 million times, as well as my grandmother and father... lol

I TOTALLY bragged that I got him when I went back to school, and I think only me and one other kid got him that Christmas - I don't know HOW Santa did it, but she, I mean he, always came through with all the MOTU stuff each year.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Great evil warrior, a Snake man (before they're were a whole group of them in MOTU) is a classic archetype of good Sword and Sorcery villainy. From the bible to Conan passing by work of Frazetta, serpent men, giant serpent, serpent in all shape and sizes are a sure treat for heroes, and Khan is a good one at it.
    I liked the figure stylized face and bulky chest paired with traditionnal villain arms and leg. A neat one, 8 / 10 for me.
    - Dr Bo.
    Man of Kitsch, Robot and Glamour. And some barbarians hero, too.

Member with whom I completed great trade and transaction: Lady Angora, Royalbliss, 10incher, Secret_defender, Bosskmr, LupaLuna, Motu2002, Buzz Saw Hordak, Malakai9999, Racer X, Igorr & Cpuwizshot.

KK, a figure I didn't have as a child. Somehow I never got him. I like his action feature and his torso that was different from all the other figs. Recently I saw a Filmation episode from season 2 volume 2 (disc 1 or 2) where he sports Sqeeezze-like powers. Until than I never knew Filmation KK could stretch his arms. 8/10.

He was one of my favs as a child. However, I always asked myself why he didn't have a collar, despite his name...

Quote Originally Posted by The Horrorist View Post
    KK, a figure I didn't have as a child. Somehow I never got him. I like his action feature and his torso that was different from all the other figs. Recently I saw a Filmation episode from season 2 volume 2 (disc 1 or 2) where he sports Sqeeezze-like powers. Until than I never knew Filmation KK could stretch his arms. 8/10.
    Of course, the obvious question is "Sssqeeze" prototype / early idea? The episode was most likely produced too early for there to be a direct link, but an interesting comparison none-the-less.
    ~jay firestorm~

I loved Khan as a kid. My bro had got him when I was 6. Never even knew the name until later. I wasn't that fond of him the begining because most of the Leo Khans could never spray water from their mouths...maybe a little & I always mistook him to be a duck more than a snake for 2 years.

but as the yeears passed I thorougly enjoyed playing with it. I wanted all the Snakemen to go along with them, however thoise never made it as Leos so Khan was pretty unique for me.

I give hin 9 out of 10.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Horrorist View Post
    Recently I saw a Filmation episode from season 2 volume 2 (disc 1 or 2) where he sports Sqeeezze-like powers. Until than I never knew Filmation KK could stretch his arms. 8/10.
    i JUST watched that episode too and thought exactly the same thing... how frustrating as a kid to not be able to make your KK do that!!
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

cyber-assassin
    Kobra kahn was neat, but I never really used the squirting too much. By this time the cartoon had come on and I just pretended he gassed people. but he also had different gasses. sleep, poison, turth, hallucenagenic, and acid. He was (along with Webstor) Fakers personal body gaurd.
    Those whom god wishes to destroy,
    He first makes mad. - Reinfield.

I never liked him all that much, and don't have any particular memories of when he came out, where I bought him, etc. He was probably one of my lesser used figures. Though I did think his gun was very cool. I dunno, I just always felt something about his color scheme and the overall sculpt of the figure just wasn't all that great. He's one of the rare instances where I think I liked Filmation's presentation of him better than the actual toy. I do think it's cool how Mattel lumped him in with the Snakemen when they were introduced later on (they were thinking back then! LOL...).
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

has too many toys. The Trollan Stud's Avatar
    I loved that figure. I still have my original one to this day, even though the pump doesn't work because Slime got in there when my cousin got ahold of my KK figure and the Slime Pit.

I used to do the "cut off Kobra Khan's head" thing all the time, too. Only then, whoever cut it off would use that head as a weapon. (I had a tendency to lose accessories, so I had to make do with what I had.)

Great review!

I didn't have KK as a kid, but when I got back into collecting MOTU KK became a new favorite.

I gave him a 9
    Faker: Evil Robotic He-Man Imposter!

Heroic Warrior
    I always liked KK, and I enjoyed watching him team up with Webstor. They seemed to complement each other in battle. The action figure was pretty cool, too. With his mist-mouth, I never really saw the need for him to have a gun, but I thought it was neat that they gave him one anyway. A back-up weapon for another figure always came in handy

Heroic Ruler of Nothing KidRandor's Avatar
    awesome figure. wasnt he a henchman of skeletor's before he was considered a snakeman? he was a bathtime favorite.

I loved KK... he was the only snakeman I had. To be honest I never really realised that He was a Snake until I was about 6 years, but I loved the action feature.

After tht he really gre on me. Sure his face looked a bit funny, but on the whole I still givwe the fig a 9 of 10.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

Quote Originally Posted by KidRandor View Post
    awesome figure. wasnt he a henchman of skeletor's before he was considered a snakeman? he was a bathtime favorite.
    Yes, he appeared before the snakemen and thereoff was a Evil Warrior first, and thus a Skeletor henchman.
    In the mini-comics they played with this idea with good result, as Skeletor have Kobra join the Snakemen as spy:
    http://www.he-man.org/primary_sects/.../00cover.shtml
    - Dr Bo.
    Man of Kitsch, Robot and Glamour. And some barbarians hero, too.

Member with whom I completed great trade and transaction: Lady Angora, Royalbliss, 10incher, Secret_defender, Bosskmr, LupaLuna, Motu2002, Buzz Saw Hordak, Malakai9999, Racer X, Igorr & Cpuwizshot.