View Poll Results: Would you buy it The Secret of the Sword in Blue Ray?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, for sure!

    60 73.17%
  • Humm, perhaps...

    10 12.20%
  • No thanks!

    12 14.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: Would you buy it The Secret of the Sword in Blue Ray?

  1. #1
    Filmation She-Ra Forever! AlessandraF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bosco dei Sussurri
    Posts
    1,136

    Would you buy it The Secret of the Sword in Blue Ray?

    If Classic Media release The Secret of the Sword in Blue Ray, would you buy it?

  2. #2
    2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    13,716
    Yeah I would buy.

    Though since we know the quality won't be better, I wonder why you ask?


    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    The original masters were digitized and restored by Hallmark, then they destroyed the originals.

    All that remains of the Filmation library are the digital copies, and they were not digitized at high enough resolution to be released in Blu-Ray.

    It also wasn't a frame-by-frame restoration, it was done globally with software and that is why some of the original lines of the animation are sort of broken up, smaller in size, or completely "remastered away".

    The DVDs are as good as it can ever look.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I've watched some of the raw digital files, they look just like the DVDs.

    Again, with all the original materials destroyed, we're left with what Hallmark did. First their remastering process was a heavy "scrubbing". It got rid of dust and scratches, but it also eroded the line art. That's why some of the finer detail lines are really thin or even gone. Those aren't ever coming back. Then it was scanned and digitized at SD resolution. There just isn't a way to make them look better.

    Upscaling them and putting them on a Blu-ray isn't going to make them look any better than playing them on an upscaling machine.

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior Emiliano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Palermo, Italy
    Posts
    6,250
    We were talking about that with Alessandra just yesterday.
    While we're aware of the quality of the transfer, I was wondering if there is change to locate a good master in film form or even the negatives used to create the theatrical masters.
    David can chime in and tell us if this is wishful thinking...

    The point is always, even if they exist somewhere, who would put money in to find them and restore them?

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Grimbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    2,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Yeah I would buy.

    Though since we know the quality won't be better, I wonder why you ask?
    And Busta said:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...0&postcount=32
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...3&postcount=37
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...3&postcount=45

    I'd say having eps and the movie without any pixelization occurring is worth of a blue ray release.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

  5. #5
    2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    13,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    And Busta said:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...0&postcount=32
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...3&postcount=37
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...3&postcount=45

    I'd say having eps and the movie without any pixelization occurring is worth of a blue ray release.
    Yeah, like I already said; I would buy it.

    And I'd be behind the promotion tag-line: "Hey, you can see the transformation sequence in perfect quality!"

  6. #6
    Argenternian heavy-eternium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    BUENOS AIRES,ARGENTINA,SOUTH OF HEAVEN
    Posts
    1,944
    i buy anything about my favorite animated movie but I think a edition on blu-ray would be unnecessary except that it include deleted scenes and stuff


    about that , anyone know how many units sold "the secret of the sword" I mean" the best of she-ra "on dvd by BCI .
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; December 29, 2010 at 05:09pm.

  7. #7
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    28,738
    I'd probably buy it, even though I don't have a Blu-ray player.

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior raptor8x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    203
    I don't think any older cartoons like this would translate well into blueray... either way, I don't think it's necessary since it was animated for the lower resolution.

  9. #9
    Searchin' My Soul DisneyBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    4,124
    If the NTSC original She-Ra episode masters were found, on film and could be restored and released, if only enough money was raised, I would PERSONALLY start a fundraising operation.

    It still drives me batty that the PAL transfers are all we've got.

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior Grimbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    2,207
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor8x View Post
    I don't think any older cartoons like this would translate well into blueray... either way, I don't think it's necessary since it was animated for the lower resolution.
    I just don't get this. Why is it that DVD resolution now gets treated as if it's a piece of *****? Are you gonna watch it on a TV the size of a house?! Think of the bitrate, man. There would be no pixelization and that's what makes anything that hasn't been preserved on film worthy of a blueray release.

    And not a single cartoon was ever animated for any resolution.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

  11. #11
    2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    13,716
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor8x View Post
    either way, I don't think it's necessary since it was animated for the lower resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    And not a single cartoon was ever animated for any resolution.
    Exactly. The point, which I quoted with BCIGuy's posts, was that Hallmark digitized the original material to lower quality, not high enough to make Blu-Ray (since back then there was no blu-ray).

  12. #12
    AKA James Eatock Busta Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    5,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Exactly. The point, which I quoted with BCIGuy's posts, was that Hallmark digitized the original material to lower quality, not high enough to make Blu-Ray (since back then there was no blu-ray).
    As Grimbot said, not a single cartoon was ever animated for any resolution - The digital masters were created PERFECT - Once they are transferred to VHS, encoded to DVD, etc., THAT is where the loss of quality occurs - The masters are FLAWLESS!

    It's hard to explain, but if you think DVD is lossless (outside of the transformation) you're mistaken - Backgrounds, character outlines, panning shots, special effects, EVERYTHING on DVD has noise around it...

    As I mentioned in the other post, the DVD bit rates were under 9mbps for both Contender and BCI - Blu-ray bit rate is often 40mbps - Now the difference between a bit rate of 5 and a bit rate of 9 is VERY noticeable...NOW imagine the difference between a bit rate of 9 and a bit rate of 40...THAT is Blu-ray!

  13. #13
    SAY10 is coming... dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    5,030
    I'd buy it for sure.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior HordakQuack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    1,058
    Sure thing, anything to support the brand!
    Creator of the New Adventures Watching Club, come join us! Click here!

    "The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior Adam_Portugal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Posts
    679
    I would buy if the sound comes in 5.1

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior Java's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    349
    I'd buy a Blu-Ray edition.

    I have the ER (UK) edition and BCI dvd, and the PAL version es FAR better in quality.
    Even the Contender He-Man dvds are A LOT clearer (not only in the transformation), so I can't imagine how the movie or the episodes would look like in Blu-Ray!

  17. #17
    AKA James Eatock Busta Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    5,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post
    I have the ER (UK) edition and BCI dvd, and the PAL version es FAR better in quality.Even the Contender He-Man dvds are A LOT clearer
    Yeah, the bit rate for the Contender DVDs was VERY high - The bit rate on the BCI releases was clearly lower - Not only that, but BCI were converting PAL to NTSC resulting in "field issues"...most notably when the camera pans across a background...

  18. #18
    Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Planet Eronia
    Posts
    18,040
    Seeing as I just got a Blu-ray home theater system for Christmas and I don't see myself EVER buying an overpriced Blu-Ray movie, this is the one way to get me to buy one...by giving me He-Man and/or She-Ra.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

  19. #19
    Filmation She-Ra Forever! AlessandraF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bosco dei Sussurri
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    We were talking about that with Alessandra just yesterday.
    While we're aware of the quality of the transfer, I was wondering if there is change to locate a good master in film form or even the negatives used to create the theatrical masters.
    David can chime in and tell us if this is wishful thinking...

    The point is always, even if they exist somewhere, who would put money in to find them and restore them?
    First, I would to ask to who had seen this last theatrical projection a few years ago, how was the quality?

    So, I have an old 35mm film in my hands, (it's in very good quality, but I can't know if something better exists among the thousands of copies created at that time) a normal scanner that can scan film too, and this is the result... I wonder how this could be done with a professional machine...





    Last edited by AlessandraF; January 2, 2011 at 05:48am.

  20. #20
    AKA James Eatock Busta Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    5,568
    Quote Originally Posted by AlessandraF View Post
    So, I have an old 35mm film in my hands, (it's in very good quality, but I can't know if something better exists among the thousands of copies created at that time) a normal scanner that can scan film too, and this is the result... I wonder how this could be done with a professional machine...
    HOLY ****, Alessandra, you HAVE the 35mm reel?!

    I'm in LOVE with those images - I love the fact that we can see the peg marks for the animation cels (and the fact at the top of the She-Ra images we can see the areas that are untouched by the special effects) - AMAZING!

    PLEASE show a frame or two from the "I Have The Power" scene - I want to see the complete image of that!

  21. #21
    Filmation She-Ra Forever! AlessandraF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bosco dei Sussurri
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Busta Toons View Post
    HOLY ****, Alessandra, you HAVE the 35mm reel?!
    Yes, I know, it's a cool item to have

    Quote Originally Posted by Busta Toons View Post
    I'm in LOVE with those images - I love the fact that we can see the peg marks for the animation cels (and the fact at the top of the She-Ra images we can see the areas that are untouched by the special effects) - AMAZING!
    I was impressed with this too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Busta Toons View Post
    PLEASE show a frame or two from the "I Have The Power" scene - I want to see the complete image of that!
    Sure James, but I had seen that He-Man's transformation sequence doesn't has the same on the top... just give some days and I will post it to you!
    Last edited by AlessandraF; January 5, 2011 at 10:51am.

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior Grimbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    2,207
    Quote Originally Posted by AlessandraF View Post
    First, I would to ask to who had seen this last theatrical projection a few years ago, how was the quality?

    So, I have an old 35mm film in my hands, (it's in very good quality, but I can't know if something better exists among the thousands of copies created at that time) a normal scanner that can scan film too, and this is the result... I wonder how this could be done with a professional machine...

    [ur]http://gi85.photobucket.com/groups/k41/E4JI5Q92ZQ/she-ra-35mm_2.jpg[/url]

    [ul]http://gi85.photobucket.com/groups/k41/E4JI5Q92ZQ/he-man-35mm_2.jpg[/url]

    [ul]http://gi85.photobucket.com/groups/k41/E4JI5Q92ZQ/she-ra-35mm-1.jpg[/url]http://gi85.photobucket.com/groups/k...e-man-35mm.jpg
    Wait... the audio is in stereo?
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

  23. #23
    Filmation She-Ra Forever! AlessandraF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bosco dei Sussurri
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    Wait... the audio is in stereo?
    Looks like it is... I'm seeing two soundtracks too

  24. #24
    Council Elder Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,510
    Quote Originally Posted by AlessandraF View Post
    Looks like it is... I'm seeing two soundtracks too
    Yes it is.

    For those who don't know much about film, if you look to the left of the images AlessandraF posted, you will see the two white squiggly lines. That's the sound.

    To answer the thread, I would ABSOLUTELY buy SOTS on Blu-Ray.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  25. #25
    Widget
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas....feels literally like Smallville sometimes.
    Posts
    12
    If they sell it, I will buy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •