View Poll Results: Filmation Hordak or Mattel Hordak ?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mattel Hordak

96 51.61%
  • Filmation Hordak

90 48.39%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mattel Hordak vs Filmation Hordak which one do you prefer?

A big fan of Slush Head

Mattel Hordak vs Filmation Hordak which one do you prefer?

I was playing with photoshop tonight with a screen cap of Hordak from the toon so I decided to color him the "right" way which means the toy way just to see how he would have looked like if colored like the toy. He looks interesting.

So I want to ask you which Hordak do you prefer the Filmation color's version or the Toy version huh?

As much as I love the figure I prefer the character in the toon colors for some reason. I think the blue makes the character standout more.

So what about you?
    Last edited by Mike Bock; February 15, 2007 at 11:50pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Filmation Hordak easily, I don't know what mattel were thinking with their colour scheme. Maybe it was [content removed]year for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    As much as I love the figure I prefer the character in the toon colors for some reason. I think the blue makes the character standout more.

So what about you?
    Blue does indeed make the character stand out more, but for me, that's actually not what I want. I prefer Hordak in his canon origins - more vampiric and ruthless in nature than his snorting buffoon of a Filmation counterpart. He was, of course, "watered down" to be more viewer-friendly for a mostly female audience at the time. In the mini-comics, he played to a different drum beat.

So it really depends on which character you preferred as well. "Filmation colours" Hordak seems a failure-prone wacky shape-shifting techno-wizard, whereas mini-comic Mattel Hordak is sufficiently darker, more cunning and much more competant (although still prone to failure - being the bad guy).

Take your pic.

Of course, I prefer the 4H envisioned MYP Hordak most of all, but that's another story.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by discosupafly View Post
    Blue does indeed make the character stand out more, but for me, that's actually not what I want. I prefer Hordak in his canon origins - more vampiric and ruthless in nature than his snorting buffoon of a Filmation counterpart. He was, of course, "watered down" to be more viewer-friendly for a mostly female audience at the time. In the mini-comics, he played to a different drum beat.

So it really depends on which character you preferred as well. "Filmation colours" Hordak seems a failure-prone wacky shape-shifting techno-wizard, whereas mini-comic Mattel Hordak is sufficiently darker, more cunning and much more competant (although still prone to failure - being the bad guy).

Take your pic.

Of course, I prefer the 4H envisioned MYP Hordak most of all, but that's another story.

Well let's try to avoid how he was portraided in the toon and foucs only on the colors cause that's a different story definitely. If I had to choose (personality wise) which Hordak verison I like more I would pick the mini-comics Hordak by a mile. I like Hordak in the toon but his mini-comic version was superior without a doubt and I agree with you there 100%. But if I had to pick a color scheme I guess I like more Filmation's model sheet.

Well let's try to avoid how he was portraided in the toon and foucs only on the colors cause that's a different story definitely. If I had to choose (personality wise) which Hordak verison I like more I would pick the mini-comics Hordak by a mile. I like Hordak in the toon but his mini-comic version was superior without a doubt and I agree with you there 100%. But if I had to pick a color scheme I guess I like more Filmation's model sheet.
    Agreed. But from a strictly artistic standpoint I find the Filmation colours stand out too much. To be blunt, they're an eyesore. I prefer the muted Mattel colours - it's just more visually appealing to me.

Fright Zone (Etheria): Prisoner of the Horde
    I think Filmation's Hordak is better. But of course, I adore everything as made by Filmation and not Mattel. Sometimes I wonder, what were these guys thinking when they were producing the toyline? In general, the toyline for me looked nothin like the cartoon. I tend to believe that these AWESOME cartoons were TOO much for them.
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    A.Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidliz View Post
    I think Filmation's Hordak is better. But of course, I adore everything as made by Filmation and not Mattel. Sometimes I wonder, what were these guys thinking when they were producing the toyline? In general, the toyline for me looked nothin like the cartoon. I tend to believe that these AWESOME cartoons were TOO much for them.
    Ahem... well considering that the toys were often produced up to years before the character would appear on a He-Man or POP cartoon, you do realise that it's actually a case of the cartoon looking nothing like the toyline, right?

Quote Originally Posted by discosupafly View Post
    Ahem... well considering that the toys were often produced up to years before the character would appear on a He-Man or POP cartoon, you do realise that it's actually a case of the cartoon looking nothing like the toyline, right?
    Yeah, it s just that the cartoons were better and the toyline was pretty bad according to me and so, the toyline had to change so as to match the cartoon. Or at least they could have created a new line.
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A.Einstein

Yeah, it s just that the cartoons were better and the toyline was pretty bad according to me and so, the toyline had to change so as to match the cartoon. Or at least they could have created a new line.
    .......... Ohhhhhhhh... K.

A big fan of Slush Head

You know reading this reminds me the debate we were having about Mattel and Filmation not working together accordingly, which I think could have been a cause of MOTU's early downfall in the 80's. I would like you to give us your opinion on this thread please mermaidliz http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=145410

Cause reading your reply is proof that these two companies didn't like to listen too much too each other and came out with what each thought was best. They created two different MOTU's the toon and the toys.

Filmation!

I really like the filmation version alot better because the contrast with the black armor and the blue skin really complement well. The toy version as seen in the second picture, very well done coloring by the way, the black armor reminds me of grizzlor for some reason. The mattel colors also work, but my fav is from filmation!

Definitelly Mattel!
    He's much darker and much cooler! Filmation Hordak is too bright, too colorful, and his face reminds of ET towards the end of the movie when he's all pale and half-dead... Somehow, Mattel's Hordak seems more powerful and more evil.

I like them both. But Mattell Hordak definately for me, as with most of the figures, I prefer his toy design. He just looks more threatening, plus...he has a cape!

Heroic Warrior
    Mattel hands down.

I'm one of those guys who early on was able to accept the filmation changes and even enjoy them...but the toyline was always first and foremost in my mind...She-ra existed in my playtime but she never showed up - the horde was a threat to MOTU and there was never a horde prime. Love the toon filmation did a lot of great stuff, but the toyline is where I first fell in love and my heart stayed there.

You know reading this reminds me the debate we were having about Mattel and Filmation not working together accordingly, which I think could have been a cause of MOTU's early downfall in the 80's. I would like you to give us your opinion on this thread please mermaidliz http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=145410

Cause reading your reply is proof that these two companies didn't like to listen too much too each other and came out with what each thought was best. They created two different MOTU's the toon and the toys.
    Sure Mike, why not? Thanks for the invitation. I do insist that Filmation's depiction of all characters was better. Hordak was scary (in a far-fetched way) in the toyline and if this was to be out in the cartoon then most children would see nightmares after watching the cartoon. We should take the psyhological-educational factor when it comes to children too. This is why these cartoons were the best because they had a psychological/educational consultant (along with other things...). So, as I was saying, I vote for Filmation's Hordak.
    Socrates

A.Einstein

POP and Customs Mod heftysmurf76's Avatar
    I vote for Filmation colors hordak, tho I REALLY like them both! In fact, Mike, I think you should do MORE of these Photoshop manips with toy colors .

Heroic Warrior
    Hordak was scary (in a far-fetched way) in the toyline and if this was to be out in the cartoon then most children would see nightmares after watching the cartoon. We should take the psyhological-educational factor when it comes to children too. This is why these cartoons were the best because they had a psychological/educational consultant (along with other things...). So, as I was saying, I vote for Filmation's Hordak.
    That's why I was able to separate it myself. See Skeletor was REALLY not as scary as his design would lead you to believe, I mean come on that guy IS a walking nightmare if you look at him but Filmation made sure to make him a little softer so as not to really damge kids. some people are upset about that but I didn't mind the shows were and still are lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cimmerian View Post
    That's why I was able to separate it myself. See Skeletor was REALLY not as scary as his design would lead you to believe, I mean come on that guy IS a walking nightmare if you look at him but Filmation made sure to make him a little softer so as not to really damge kids. some people are upset about that but I didn't mind the shows were and still are lots of fun.
    I agree with you. If I had kids I would not want something that would damage them. These are high quality cartoons and I see it as very thoughtful of them to have taken into consideration the kids' psyche. Not only Filmation's Hordak was better, but also their She-Ra was better than Mattel's.
    Socrates

A.Einstein

Mattel Hordak all the way.

You are evidently biased and I feel your depiction of a Mattel colored Hordak is misleading, Mike.
    Indeed the image of the blue skinned Hordak definitely looks better IMO.
    But it is likely the animators/art directors would have selected a different throne color if Hordak's coloration were different. Consequently, he would stand out more.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Check out my Custom Figures! http://www.jsunscustoms.com

With the above colours he looks like someone has thrown up on him
    Socrates

A.Einstein

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    The shading on the face doesn't work, IMO, on the animated version.

But the overall color scheme? I don't know...I think Hordak looks cooler with the Mattel scheme (just see the 4H version! ) but I just think he looks better in the blue on the show. I don't think the grey/black would have worked.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Heroic Warrior
    Toon colours (original colours from poster) - Toy colours With Grey Imp

a quick manip I did on the Earl Norem poster. thing is they kind of altered hordak's head so you can't completely redo the toy colouring without redrawing the head. the blue doesn't look terrible at all IMO I just prefer the toy colours myself. as a note this is one of my FAVOURITE posters!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by The Cimmerian; February 16, 2007 at 05:47pm.

Mattel coloured Hordak may have been too much of a contrast to the pink hues of Whispering Woods.

Filmation probably had the right colour scheme.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_He-Man View Post
    Mattel coloured Hordak may have been too much of a contrast to the pink hues of Whispering Woods.

Filmation probably had the right colour scheme.
    technically Hordak was never meant for the whispering woods...but that's another debate altogether. (and a nasty can of worms to open up on the she-ra board )

Quote Originally Posted by The Cimmerian View Post
    technically Hordak was never meant for the whispering woods...but that's another debate altogether. (and a nasty can of worms to open up on the she-ra board )
    I know what you mean. Old Mattel colours might work with him as a He-Man villain.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")