View Poll Results: Do you like the commemoritive figures?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

157 84.41%
  • No

29 15.59%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you like the commemoritive Figures?

Commemorative figures rules!!!!

I like commemorative figures. I have Teela and Evil-Lyn.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by tariamani View Post
    There's quite a lot of (very subtle) differences between the comms and the genuine artefacts: skeletor's face sculpt is less detailed and his eyes are shallower, for example. Also, the hands are different as on the comms the fingers on the right hand are much blunter and don't grip in such a tight fist. Man-at-Arms has a VERY different 'squashed' face sculpt and generally you can just sort of...well, tell. Look at them for long enough and (like antique experts and their vases and whatnot) you can just tell by instinct which is old and which is new.
    I have the Skeletor, and there were so many differences with the vintage Skeletor's to begin with, it is hard to tell. At any rate, some of the figures are very hard to distinguish when looking at a small picture posted on eBay.

He-man's axe is different from the original too. I don't have it with me but it is missing a ring either above or below the axe head. This makes it slightly shorter.

I was so excited when I noticed them at Toys R Us a few years back that I ended up buying both sets. it just seems like they lost their charm since I have been collecting. I noticed that the he-man heads don't match up and that sort of ****es me off. I'll probably end up selling them.

I have them all except for Buzz-off and Clawful. They are awesome. I don't have any 1980s figures MOC, so this is the next-best thing. The outer box should have been the design for the 2000s series box!

BTW: Did Mattel make a profit off of these? I mean, they only made like 10,000 of each figure (15,000 of the leaders), and I'm pretty sure they all sold, but would it justlfy the costs of making them?

Also, if they did turn a profit, why not make more? I'm sure there is a demand, so why not?
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Ruler of Nothing KidRandor's Avatar
    I have to admit, i am not a comm. fan. While i DO appreciate the rekindling of the line, my heart is with the originals. I actually like some of the imperfections of the vintage loose figures, chewed hands and all. As a kid, my figures were chewed, played with, and stuffed in my lunch box for a trip to school. They were well played with and that is what i like to be reminded of when i stare at my display case for an hour or so. I will admit that i have since cleaned my figures thoroughly and replaced any chewed limbs, and of course purchased some minty fresh items since, but the commemorative line is just a NEW toy to me.
    Fortunately for me , i had the opportunity to live the He Man generation in its day of glory and the nostalgia is what drives me and my collection.

Given that Mattel had to make new molds from scratch, I think there should have been improvements made over the originals. By the time the Commemorative series had come out, many original MOTU figures from the 80’s were already suffering from rotting rubber bands in the legs. They should have known that the rubber bands in the legs were a bad idea, especially for a new line of reissues geared toward collectors. If Mattel had given the Commemorative figures leg joints like Flying Fists He-Man/Terror Claws Skeletor, then these figures would have been superior to the originals. Instead, we got figures that will last longer than the original 80’s figures, but will ultimately still become legless amputees. It is for this reason that I am more focussed on newer MOTU toys than the classic line. I can’t justify spending money on figures that I know for a fact will eventually die. Sorry for the rant. I just had to speak my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by KidRandor View Post
    I have to admit, i am not a comm. fan. While i DO appreciate the rekindling of the line, my heart is with the originals. I actually like some of the imperfections of the vintage loose figures, chewed hands and all. As a kid, my figures were chewed, played with, and stuffed in my lunch box for a trip to school. They were well played with and that is what i like to be reminded of when i stare at my display case for an hour or so. I will admit that i have since cleaned my figures thoroughly and replaced any chewed limbs, and of course purchased some minty fresh items since, but the commemorative line is just a NEW toy to me.
    Fortunately for me , i had the opportunity to live the He Man generation in its day of glory and the nostalgia is what drives me and my collection.
    Couldn't have put it better myself! (...wipes tear from eye)

I loved the comm figs. I just wished they had shoulder ball joints. Better leg joint would have been cool too.

(I also wanted Man-E-Faces and Ram-Man.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Boy View Post
    All I can say is that my JC Penny Ten Pack is one of my most prized possession!
    Pig Boy....you lucky.... I wish I had a time machine...seriously.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post

(I also wanted Man-E-Faces and Ram-Man.)
    Me too! They should have made those instead of Buzz-off and Clawful.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I loved the re-issues, I just don't know why they stopped! It was such a thrill to see those familiar toys in the toy aisles at Wal-Mart, and be able to purchase them, once again. I actually would have preferred that they had continued reissuing the old figures as they released the DVD sets. I was really looking forward to Commemorative Man-E-Faces, Webstor, Two-Bad, Stinkor, She-Ra, Hordak, Bow, and yes, even Orko!

They should have reissued The Evil Horde and Princess of Power when the POP DVD sets came out last year.

I am still waiting for my 1 of 15,000 She-Ra and 1 of 15,000 Catra Commemorative figures, dammit!

Oh well, maybe for the 25th Anniversary in 2009/2010? (Keeps fingers crossed)

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I think the Commemorative series allow the original series to be unique.

I loved them.

Getting the first 5-pack was an immense joy in my house-hold.
    I still have the Prince Adam figure MOC un-opened, while all the
    other figures I've opened.

Quote Originally Posted by mermisto View Post
    They should have reissued The Evil Horde and Princess of Power when the POP DVD sets came out last year.

I am still waiting for my 1 of 15,000 She-Ra and 1 of 15,000 Catra Commemorative figures, dammit!

Oh well, maybe for the 25th Anniversary in 2009/2010? (Keeps fingers crossed)
    Yeah, why not? I agree it would've been nice to at least see She-Ra and Catra alongside the DVD release.
    I make my own MOTU video game stuff. Check it out.

dA - wallbie.deviantart.com
    YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/wallbieswarriors
    Daily Motion - http://www.dailymotion.com/wallbie#video=x14o6e4

I love them too! The packaging was great.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

I can't believe people are complaining about them not have ball joints. These are supposed to commemorate the ORIGINALS. To be recreations of the ORIGINALS. There was never ball joints on the ORIGINALS. I would never have bought these had they changed the sculpts on them. That's what the 200x line was for.

I too just wish there was more of them.

Sorry, but I don't much care for them. Their colors of some of the figures seem off. Beast Man and Faker look weird and He-Man seems to have a different facial expression. I've not paid too much attention to all of them but I think Mer-Man might look different too.
    Warpigs Feedback Thread Selling/Buying/Trading
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=173127

\m/(^_^)\m/

I don't like the commemorative AF, i prefer the vintage loose rather they!

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    I don't like the commemoratives. Cause just a release who means nothing for me. I prefer have toys from the 80's. And figures quality is not the same than the 1st editions.
    For me every collectors would prefer the vintage ones, but they are more expensive. IMO the commemos sucks and the vintages rocks

Just take a look on them :

Last edited by bObA_fEtt_Ox; January 11, 2011 at 03:25pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED :

>>>>> Canadian He-man/Teela/Ramman <<<<<
    >>>>> Canadian Skeletor/Faker/Beastman <<<<<

Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I would love to see these guys get released again, along with some characters like He-Ro, Eldor, and Marlena. I would buy them all again in a heartbeat!

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    I would love to see these guys get released again, along with some characters like He-Ro, Eldor, and Marlena. I would buy them all again in a heartbeat!
    I agree with you, that would be awesome but only if they produced the figures with the old moulds and not the ones they used for the commemoratives.
    But if I remember well they haven't the old moulds.
    WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED :

>>>>> Canadian He-man/Teela/Ramman <<<<<
    >>>>> Canadian Skeletor/Faker/Beastman <<<<<

Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by bObA_fEtt_Ox View Post
    I agree with you, that would be awesome but only if they produced the figures with the old moulds and not the ones they used for the commemoratives.
    But if I remember well they haven't the old moulds.
    No, they don't have the old molds. I would imagine that any new "classic" figures made would be slightly different from the original run of commemoritives.

I love the Masters Of The Universe Commemoritive Figures, I am currently bidding on both He-Man and Skeletor on ebay. I hope I get them both!!!!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    love that old favorite toy lines are releasing commemoritive figures & re leases of classic figures with new articulation & details to modernize it.

he-man
    g.i.joe
    transformers
    thundercats
    star wars