Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MotU redesign challenge #73 Stridor

MotU redesign challenge #73 Stridor

Heroic armored warhorse carries He-man to victory! This figure was nearly stacticon before stacticon. Stridor had role in minicomic (Clash of arms) in classic toon (Origin of Sorceress) and in London comic magazines (several minor roles).

So let see what kind of stridor you will made. Again 2 weeks time (26. February is deadline if you want join poll for best design)

Reference pictures for example here:
    http://www.he-man.org/primary_sects/.../stridor.shtml

I promised to add list of previous challenges somewhere in this thread and I will made it. Hopefully to same post where I add my Stridor.
    Will do commissions for loose 200X Evillyn or Roboto. Guarantee: if not happy with pic, no need to send fig!

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Cool, Stridor has great visual potential!

Here's some pages that might be worthy to book-mark for reference.

http://www.mastersunbound.com/arte.htm

http://www.dukenostalgia.com/He-Man/Motu_boxart.html

Can't seem to find Stridors art there tho..

No big changes. I like 80-version much enought. but there's handy box for weapons in back.

And here cames list of challenges #1-72 (listed alphabetically so it's easier to check). Every character has mantion where this name is coming from too, where f mean filmation-based characters.

Adora pop
    Angella pop
    Batros f
    Blade classic
    Blastattack classic
    Blundor the Spoiler f
    Buzz-Saw Hordak classic
    Catra pop
    Ceril comic
    Clamp Champ classic
    Dragstor classic
    Dre-Elle f
    Double Trouble pop
    Dylamug f
    Entrapta pop
    Evil meteorbs (=Gore-illa was only who got design)
    Evil Robot prototype
    Extendar classic
    Faker II classic
    Fang Man f
    Felinor fuerza-t
    Female ranger prototype
    Filmation Clawful f
    Flogg /Brakk NA
    Frosta pop
    Game master f
    Garth f
    Gleedal & her Cat f
    Glimmer pop
    Goat man books
    Granamyr the Dragon f & mini
    Green Goddess minicomics
    Gwildor classic
    Helios f
    He-ro prototype
    Hoove NA
    Horde invaders f
    Horde mammoth prototype
    Horde mummy prototype (Fear-o)
    Icer f
    Jitsu classic
    Kalamarr/Slush Head NA
    Karg movie
    Kittrina f
    Lizardman f
    Lodar minicomic
    Lubic movie
    Madam Razz f
    Megator classic
    Mermista pop
    Minicomic cover (not a character)
    Modulok classic
    Mosquitor classic
    Multibot classic
    Nepthu f
    Ninjor classic
    Optik NA
    Platino Fuerza-t
    Rotar & Twistoid classic
    Saurod classic
    Scareglow classic
    Screech classic
    Scorpia f
    Sea Hawk f
    Slave Master & Jawbreaker f
    Songster Power tour
    Spikor classic
    Stonedar & Rokkon & Granita classic + f
    Strongarm f
    Stridor classic
    Sweetbee pop
    Tytus classic
    Weaponstronic/Artilla NA
    Will do commissions for loose 200X Evillyn or Roboto. Guarantee: if not happy with pic, no need to send fig!

Heroic Warrior Hordaks Henchman's Avatar
    is there anywhere a link, where i can see ALL of these redesign challengers?

Sadly no direct link. But use search option in toolbar. With keyword "challenge" in name of topic you can still find all challenges from #21 to present. There are lot of pictures available, but not all.

I love Stridor almost more than anything else in the universe

Your rendition is wonderful, though I hope someone else tries to tackle this challenge as well!

(Wish I could draw )

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Powers of Preternia Podcast Video Series
    http://www.youtube.com/user/destrong...s?feature=mhum

Quote Originally Posted by Monikasvo View Post
    Sadly no direct link. But use search option in toolbar. With keyword "challenge" in name of topic you can still find all challenges from #21 to present. There are lot of pictures available, but not all.
    thank you monikasvo

Nice work, Monikasvo.

Are we doing a PoP girl next?

osgood: you hit near. It is a girl.

Monikasvo: great stridor, man! i love the modified helmet and the extra red armor on the neck. the added detailing on the seatback etc. are a nice touch as well. but the best part is the junk in the trunk! any chance you'll do a new version of nightstalker too?

working on my stridor... will post him soon!
    Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

Great pic indeed Monikasvo, I like the big axe on the side and the laser canon at shoulder height. The way you render the tech is also very remisnicent of the old toys sticker, much fitting!

Well, as for me Iím a long time lurker of the challenge and finally decided to participate (read took the time to). So here me He-Man on Stridor!

Just like Monikasvo I really like the original toys and so I didnít went berserk on redesign. I mainly simplified the legs and the canopy. As I liked the warhorse aspect and wanted to play on that concept, making it a big barbarian steed. I thus added the fur cover, leather straps and weapons. Enjoy!

I didn't have time to ink and put color on it, i'll try to do it before the end of the contest!
    Last edited by Dr Bo; February 22, 2007 at 11:55am.

YAY more love for Stridor!

Guess this just proves there's not much room for improvement on that old masterpiece of a toy

great work!

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Powers of Preternia Podcast Video Series
    http://www.youtube.com/user/destrong...s?feature=mhum

@ dr. bo: maybe i am wrong, but your stridor is no re-design, or? because stridor, he-man and orko are looking like the 80ies versions

Quote Originally Posted by Hordaks Henchman View Post
    @ dr. bo: maybe i am wrong, but your stridor is no re-design, or? because stridor, he-man and orko are looking like the 80ies versions
    Indeed I just drawn He-Man and Orko my way, but didn't change them from the 1980's version per say.
    As for Stridor it is a redesign, although in line with the original ones.
    I made the leg simplier, more bulky and less mechancic in overall shape, changed the face a bit, removed the tail gun, moved the shield on top of the neck (it was a crest on both side of the original), covered the ear, changed the gun mount and added straps and a sheet of fur under the saddle. The saddle is the biggest change: on the original figure the leg of the riders would be hidden in the cockpit like trunk.
    - Dr Bo.
    Man of Kitsch, Robot and Glamour. And some barbarians hero, too.

Member with whom I completed great trade and transaction: Lady Angora, Royalbliss, 10incher, Secret_defender, Bosskmr, LupaLuna, Motu2002, Buzz Saw Hordak, Malakai9999, Racer X, Igorr & Cpuwizshot.

Dr Bo: great cartoony take on stridor! and i really dig the he-man and orko too!

My solution for the re-design challenge was to give Stridor a completely new humanoid transformation. Actually, it's not too much of a transformation--he pretty much just stands up on his hind legs, and his articulated hands pop out; a few other things shift around, but nothing too complex. To accommodate his humanoid mode, the tail gun is now mounted on the hip, and a protective shield guards what would otherwise be a vulnerable belly. The jousting lance is my addition as well. Color-wise, I stayed pretty faithful to the original--a notable addition being the coppery orange that I used for his joints:

And some background Info:

PROFILE: On the battlefield STRIDOR is a courageous leader, a shrewd strategist, and a firece fighter. Off the battlefield he is gentle and easy-going. In horse mode he is the size of a large armored war horse, and in humanoid mode, he stands almost twice as tall as a man. His ranged weapons include dual heavy laser cannons, and a rapid-fire hip blaster. His primary weapon in close combat is a heavy jousting lance.

HISTORY: The Stridor Project began in Man-At-Arms' laboratory as a simple experiment in robotics and simulated AI. His goal was to create a robotic mount with the equivalent of a horse's IQ, for military use. The Stridor prototype was field-tested by Teela, Captain of the Royal Guard, and over time Man-At-Arms gradually improved on Stridor's design and programming. The Stridor prototype became the template for a mass-production model that would completely mechanize the Royal Armored Cavalry.

When the Eternian capital found themselves under seige by an army of centaur-like cyborgs--conquerors from the remote planet Equestris--Man-At-Arms engineered an alternate humanoid transformation for the original Stridor prototype, so that he could more efficiently battle this new threat. With casualties running high, and few human soldiers available, Stridor went into battle with his robotic bretheren, a so-called "unmanned cavalry," and drove the gladiators of Equestris off of Eternia.

However, it soon became apparent to Man-At-Arms that the original Stridor prototype had developed sentience, as a result of the continued improvements to his programming. Faced with a crisis of conscience, Man-At-Arms could only grant Stridor his freedom, rather than forcing him to serve in the Royal army.

For several months, Stridor travelled the lands of Eternia, pondering his place in the world. But when the armies of Equestris returned to Eternia for vengeance, Stridor knew where he belonged. He raced back to the capital and again, lead his robotic bretheren to victory (with some help from He-Man). Stridor was heavily decorated for his heroism, and asked to be reinstated in the Royal Armored Cavalry, under one condition--that the other Stridor models be given humanoid forms and the freedom to choose their path as they developed sentience. King Randor and Man-At-Arms gladly agreed.

Stridor was made Commander of the Armored Cavalry, and he has come to regard Man-At-Arms as his father, and Teela as his sister. Eventually, all of the Stridor models developed sentience, and were granted humanoid forms and freedom, and have chosen individual names for themselves. To this day, you can see Stridor's descendants mingling with the other denizens of the lands of Eternia. Most have opted to serve the kingdom, but more than a few have chosen a path of their own.

A gold star for anyone who gets the non-MOTU "Equestris" reference without looking it up.
    Last edited by bootleg; February 26, 2007 at 03:11pm.

Warlord of the Elders Dr. Omega's Avatar

I have missed the last several Challenges by a couple of days, so I wanted to make sure I made this one. Just barely coming in under the wire here..

Not much of an update. Stridor was a great design. I added the huge cannon from Samurai Battle cat, just to mix it up.

Dr. Ω

Movie mayhem!
    BOOTLEG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it! Dr. Omega I'm really liking yours as well... actually everyones is quite great! Right now I'm really liking Stridor standing up.

Nice works people! Stridor as a robotic human form? AWSOME! Put up the poll so I can vote already. I think ALL the VEHICLES should be done in human form NOW THERE'S A REDESIGN CHALLENGE!
    Stridor - Bootleg gets the idea
    Nightstalker - different colors same idea
    Roton - Sick envisionment in my mind
    Land shark - Sick envisionment in my mind
    Bashasaurus - oh yeah
    Battle bones - Easy yet effective
    Monstroid - Sick envisionment in my mind
    Mantisaurus - Sick envisionment in my mind
    Spydor- Sick envisionment in my mind
    Road riper - OK this is a tough one
    Blaster hawk - possiblities
    Fright fighter - this could be cool

Very cool up dates On an old favorite guys and possibly gals
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post

Bloody hell Bottleg, thats excellent. Reminds me of Thirty Thirty from Bravestarr, but only in concept. Its a really cool change to a classic character and the addition of many Stridor lends itself to an idea that one's programming when screwy and became Nightstalker
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

smanomega: do you mean with Monstroid something like this?

It was horde character I made some years ago...

Beautiful Stridors! I like the shield in front like in DR Bo's version, bootlegs concept and art are awesome and dr. O's version is so dynamic!

I will made the poll after about 12 hours.

It was horde character I made some years ago...

Beautiful Stridors! I like the shield in front like in DR Bo's version, bootlegs concept and art are awesome and dr. O's version is so dynamic!

Love that idea Monikasvo!!!!!! Can I chibi him? I might class it as a fan character as he is more of a vehicle...but its so cool to not pass up!!!
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Some interesting happenings here!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Dr. Omega: excellent work-- i especially like the gear motif around stridor's eye!

Patreek: ... thanks man, i appreciate it!

smanomega: i like the way you think--this was something that i eventually wanted to try on more MOTU creatures/vehicles. the creatures are pretty straightforward to envision, but vehicles require a bit more work... actually road ripper is the one i was looking at the other day--for most of these i'm thinking of a transformer-like approach.

super-munkyboy: thanks! you're right on about the bravestar thing--that was a big part of my "inspiration." okay, i admit it, it was kind of a swipe. as for nightstalker i was thinking more along the lines of tri-klops stealing the blueprints for stridor and creating his own version, but i like your idea of a rogue stridor too!

Monikasvo: thank you so much for the compliment, but enough about me... that monstroid is amazing! i want to see more MOTU vehicle-men from you! the transparent effect you did on his chest is awesome. do you envision him as being human-height or much larger?

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    Awesome work bootleg! You're Stridor is the cat's meow! Excellent colouring too!

I mean EXACTLY LIKE THAT! I just drew one myself ( not stridor so I wont post it )I think it's a killer idea to maybe think of for some future(near future) Challenges Vehicles to humanoid form (Just in time for transformers the movie)
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1