Thread: why is the zodac bust hollow?

Heroic Warrior

why is the zodac bust hollow?

Ok, so i must admit I have been so busy with the holidays and then toyfair that my Zodac bust has been sitting in his box waiting to get displayed for a while now. I had heard about people being unhappy with the silver paint, but as a toy seller I hear that stuff a lot and figured it was just like all mass produced toys-imperfect. But upon opening it not only was it so bad that in places theres blotches of red, but WHY THE HECK IS HE HOLLOW??? Metallic paints are trickier than normal ones, so I'll give a pass there. But all th eother busts are solid resin. I can see making the Clawful statue hollow becasue he's huge, but come on. I know it all comes down to cost, and if they have t be hollow to continue I'll deal. But it caught me off guard and e definitely isn't as good of quality as the others. Plus theres something broken off inside that rattles, but I suppose I won't be shaking him. But it still bothers me to know it's there Trapjaw, on the other hand, is the best statue so far. He finally got free from his box as well, and I can't believe it but they outdid Skeletor. The colors are insane. My wife keeps yelling at me for staring at it so much when I'm supposed to be working.

Evil Halloween Enthusiast Razzbel's Avatar
    He's hollow? That sucks! I haven't gotten mine yet. I have heard so many Zodak Horror Stories, that now I'm kind of contemplating it. Usually, I just run out and get it.
    You can have all of the toys in the world, but they're all worthless if you have no one to play with.
    My Tattoo | Gay He-Fans | Facebook

Newsflash... All of the busts are hollow.
    I've seen a cracked open He-Man bust... Hollow.

Pretty common actually.
    It's how they can keep costs lower.
    Were the statues and busts solid? Not only would they be much heavier, they'd be much more expensive.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

I cracked open my Ram-man bust. Y'know what was in there? Pop-tarts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    I cracked open my Ram-man bust. Y'know what was in there? Pop-tarts.
    What flavor?
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Newsflash... All of the busts are hollow.
    I've seen a cracked open He-Man bust... Hollow.

Pretty common actually.
    It's how they can keep costs lower.
    Were the statues and busts solid? Not only would they be much heavier, they'd be much more expensive.
    The others are only hollow enough for the base to fit in the body. The rest is not just a shell like Zodac is. My father in law dropped my Ram Man and Merman in my driveway when I moved into my new house, and they were both solid. The Zodac wieghs about a third as much and is way poor quality in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by customcrazy View Post
    The others are only hollow enough for the base to fit in the body. The rest is not just a shell like Zodac is. My father in law dropped my Ram Man and Merman in my driveway when I moved into my new house, and they were both solid. The Zodac wieghs about a third as much and is way poor quality in comparison.
    That could be. However I still doubt Merman and RamMan are solid.
    Thicker walled sure, but I highly doubt they're totally solid.

But I'll admit that I very well could be wrong in that ALL busts are hollow.
    Except that I do know that He-Man and Hordak are absolutely hollow, you can knock them with the knuckle and hear it so... And again, I've seen a shattered He-Man, and he was hollow.

I'm guessing... That because the busts aren't huge sellers anyway, that they've cut cost as much as they could to still get these out. Be it a decision made by the 4HM or Neca I don't know, but by the paint apps alone, the writing is on the wall that they are cutting production costs wherever they can. I'm affraid this means less resin, thus more hollow/thinner walled busts.

And while the paint apps are an easy fix, the more fragile bust could be a bit scary.
    I hope this gets fixed for the Skeletor bust!

I'm still happy we can still get new busts, though I worry that they are going too cheap in their production.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Evil Halloween Enthusiast Razzbel's Avatar
    My father in law dropped my Ram Man and Merman in my driveway when I moved into my new house, and they were both solid.
    This line breaks my heart...
    You can have all of the toys in the world, but they're all worthless if you have no one to play with.
    My Tattoo | Gay He-Fans | Facebook

My father in law dropped my Ram Man and Merman in my driveway when I moved into my new house, and they were both solid.
    Dude. Time to get a divorce.

On a serious note, I really really really hope NECA doesn't go the cheapie route with the Skeletor bust. I desperately want a Skeletor to put next to my Evil-Lyn and Mer Man busts, but I can't justify buying it if they're going to go with cheaper materials and paint apps.
    Throwing acid is wrong, in some people's eyes.

Eternian Sculpter Wannabe Royalt1us's Avatar
    I don't know about Ram-man or Merman, but I can vouch for the He-man bust. I have the one Baena has seen and his entire body is hollow. The only solid part of him is the base and his head. The rest isn't even as thick as cornel dishware. I imagin they all have various sized hollow parts. My Ram-man actually sufferes the same fate as your Zodac, he rattles as well.

A lot of cold cast products are hollow, it saves alot of money and is why Neca can offer these as such a low price point. Solid busts these sizes would weigh a lot more and cost a bit more.

Even the Stactions have hollow spaces through out them. I recently look a Clawful staction figure completely apart and was suprised just how hollow he is. One could hide all kinds of things inside his hollow parts.

Love it or hate it, that's the way things are made.
    Check out ROYAL-T's Customs at:
    Dinner Table Creations

WRAPTOR, LAVA_SHARK, PO-LAR, LAVA-SHARK v.2 (Might-Bite), EMPRISSS, SPY-FLY, and OOZOR, are all available now.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Royalt1us View Post
    I don't know about Ram-man or Merman, but I can vouch for the He-man bust. I have the one Baena has seen and his entire body is hollow. The only solid part of him is the base and his head. The rest isn't even as thick as cornel dishware. I imagin they all have various sized hollow parts. My Ram-man actually sufferes the same fate as your Zodac, he rattles as well.

A lot of cold cast products are hollow, it saves alot of money and is why Neca can offer these as such a low price point. Solid busts these sizes would weigh a lot more and cost a bit more.

Even the Stactions have hollow spaces through out them. I recently look a Clawful staction figure completely apart and was suprised just how hollow he is. One could hide all kinds of things inside his hollow parts.

Love it or hate it, that's the way things are made.
    Most things are hollow to some degree. Otherwise they'd cost too much and have more difficulty in production. My point was just that he was so much lighter and flimsier. I agree that if that's what has to happen to keep them coming then that's better than nothing. As a retailer of this stuff I especially understand NECA's perspective. However, if they are cutting costs in that area they can't allow the factory to get away with hack paint apps. It's not anymore expensive to put the silver paint on evenly. That's everything mass produced though. They don't always come out of the same factories in hong kong and different ones do better jobs. That may even explain why this was so much lighter if a different factory tooled the final molds. I was just a little frustrated because the others all feel very high end and he really doesn't.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Old He-Man View Post
    What flavor?
    It better have been the Brown Sugar & Cinammon ones. Those are the best Pop-Tarts ever! No other flavor would be worth breaking Ram-Man open for!

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzbel View Post
    This line breaks my heart...
    Thankfully they made more than one If it would have been my classic colors Evil Lyn bust or club exclusive Hordak bust, then I would have been one very angry customcrazy. Did someone say divorce? Over a He Man bust? I can see that, but it was her Dad so she can stay Can you divorce your father in law though? If so I'm in. Ram Man killer

As pointed out, but just to reiterate,
    Items like this are often hollow to:
    - save money on production materials
    - save money on weight for shipping

As long as they look good, I don't care if they're solid or hollow...

I can confirm that merman IS infact hollow. I originally had an AP merman, and a chunk of him broke off where the base connected under the torso. What was inside of him... nothing but air. It eventually got replaced, but it also confirms that he's not solid.
    Proud member of the Arizona MAZTERS since 2003