View Poll Results: Filmation Hordak or Mattel Hordak ?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mattel Hordak

105 51.47%
  • Filmation Hordak

99 48.53%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mattel Hordak vs Filmation Hordak which one do you prefer?

Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I really prefer the toy colors. The blue makes him look far too colorful and a bit too much like skeletor. I understand the reasoning in adding color to characters. They needed to make the designs stick out more to compensate for the crude animation, but for general design purposes I prefer simple stripped down color schemes. I think the biggest strength for the toy is that it had a far more interesting looking face than the Filmation version.
    Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

Many probably feel like the Filmation look is too colorful and not threatening enough, but I'm so tired of the same old black and red combo on villains that I find Hordak's look refreshing. Besides, Skeletor is blue and purple and yellow for pity's sake...but it's his demeanor that really drives the point home that he's a threat. The same goes for Hordak. The Mattel look just muddies him up...

...although that kind of works in the context of the toyline. I could see the Mattel Hordak living in the Mattel Fright Zone of dirt and trees and bones and whatnot. But a spiffy boss man like the Filmation Hordak? Hardly.

Heroic Warrior
    It would have been better if Hordak did have a red cape in the She-Ra cartoon and Catra had black hair as well.
    Give a Hoot Don't Pollute!

A big fan of Slush Head
    I changed the colors on a wallpaper I had of Hordak...gave him the Hurricane Hordak's toy colors to see how he would have looked like if they have kept the original colors and this is was the result:

http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Mattel Hordak!!!

I hated how Hordak was also blue like Skeletor.

Okay. I had a real problem with HORDAK when he came out, because I felt Mattel was like, "SKELETOR is old news; this guy is bigger and badder!" and I'm like, "oh get out of here with that crap; no villain is better than SKELETOR!" And the fact that he had many of the elements that defined SKELETOR really made me mad. I mean, he had kind of a skull-like face (that was different from his skin) with a weird hood-thing over it, boots with three points on them, there were bone accents around his armor, and he even had a frickin' bat on his chest! Whatever! It's like they said "hey, let's take all the things that make SKELETOR and try to make them even scarier" but the dumb monster face wasn't scarier, it just seemed like they were trying too hard. So imagine how I felt when I saw the Filmation version. Now he has blue skin too? I mean holy crap, they might as well've called him SUPER-SKELETOR! So I prefer the Mattel colors simply because they make him seem like slightly less of a rip-off of SKELETOR. That said, I've come to like the character of HORDAK, now that I've actually seen how he was portrayed in the show, and even in the MYP series.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

Like many of you who wrote earlier, I prefer the Mattel version. Why? Simply because, as it was said earlier, the Filmation version looks too bright; plus, its blue color with white head reminded us too much of Skeletor. The Mattel version is darker and looks more sinister, scarier. A little like a Living Dead. Creepy.

I always liked the toy designs over the toon. I always felt like flimation just threw the Horde into She-Ra to give her a rival. I hated that they went with atechnology based Horde vs a magical Horde
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by motu77 View Post
    I hated that they went with atechnology based Horde vs a magical Horde
    I like that, because it really strengthens Shadow Weaver's unique role in the series, and gives nice depth between she and Hordak, and juicy conflict between she and Catra.

I also don't have a problem with Hordak's Filmation colors. He looks nothing like Skeletor IMO. Their blues are different shades, and they look nothing alike anyway.

Oo, and love the re-do of Catra. I don't like her blue hair, it clashes so bad IMO.
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; March 13, 2008 at 06:58pm.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Oh lordy...

Silver Catra? Grey Hordak? Capes for everyone!?!

*shakes head*

I'm so glad we weren't in charge of Filmation back then. We never would have agreed.

Filmation got it right in every respect. And I actually liked the blue hair on Catra. I never thought of it as "blue", but rather as purple/black and in shadow. It's like when a character steps into a dark scene in a modern animated film. You don't think of them suddenly being brown instead of beige, but that's effectively what they are when they're being colored.

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    And I actually liked the blue hair on Catra. I never thought of it as "blue", but rather as purple/black and in shadow. It's like when a character steps into a dark scene in a modern animated film. You don't think of them suddenly being brown instead of beige, but that's effectively what they are when they're being colored.
    Yeah, but that's to be expected. Catra's hair is just out-and-out blue. And it clashes with her teal eye shadow so badly, that's what mainly bugs me about it.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

And it clashes with her teal eye shadow so badly, that's what mainly bugs me about it.

ROTFL!

Fact is, the FILMATION version made for kids for entertaining.

The MATTEL toyline is also made for kids, the difference is, the toyline fits to adult collectors today, too.

When I see the style of the box arts, all characters looks stronger, more evil, the battle is harder. The complete nature of ETERNIA looks darker.

I prefer the Mini Comics stories made by BRUCE W. TIMM.

I don't need IMP, MADAME RAZZ charakters, they destroy the real mystic and fantasy image of MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE!

I don't agree. Imp and Madam Razz don't distroy anything. They are much loved characters. I love that MOTU can be dark and threatening, but I also love that it can be light hearted and fun. Characters like this bring important elements to MOTU and POP. Even in stories like LOTR there are elements of comedy.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cimmerian View Post
    Toon colours (original colours from poster) - Toy colours With Grey Imp

a quick manip I did on the Earl Norem poster. thing is they kind of altered hordak's head so you can't completely redo the toy colouring without redrawing the head. the blue doesn't look terrible at all IMO I just prefer the toy colours myself. as a note this is one of my FAVOURITE posters!
    Those posters looks awesome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I don't agree. Imp and Madam Razz don't distroy anything. They are much loved characters. I love that MOTU can be dark and threatening, but I also love that it can be light hearted and fun. Characters like this bring important elements to MOTU and POP. Even in stories like LOTR there are elements of comedy.
    I agree.

The design i prefer the Filmation and voted for he!! But the Mattel design is more suitable for the evil characters!

Mattel Hordak all the way!!! The Filmation version looks like a pathetic clown!
    2 Cor. 12:9 (KJV) "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmites, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

The Last Wielder of the Sword of Power

Faithful Member of Club Eternia

http://photobucket.com/LastEternian

Mattel hordak for sure. seems more menacing to me
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Mattel hordak for sure. seems more menacing to me
    I agree...the Mattel coloring has more evil and sinister tones.
    She-Ra Princess of Power clip art, animated gifs & panoramic screen caps at http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/t...%20Clip%20Art/
    My other artworks http://cosmicfalcon-70.deviantart.com/

I like Mattel's Hordak a lot, but Filmation's Hordak is Hordak to me. I'm glad we live in a world where both exist.
    You may have defeated us, but you'll never see this child again!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Falcon View Post
    I agree...the Mattel coloring has more evil and sinister tones.
    Indeed.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    I was a big fan of Mattel's, but then I made this:
    Wow! Impressive.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    For me..... Filmation = Mattel.

It's all personal preference.

i gotta say i dig the mattel ver... i just don't care for any of the filmation designs just a but to toony for me...
    GIMME TOYS!-