Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clive Barker's Nightbreed

Heroic Warrior

Clive Barker's Nightbreed

original_nightbreed_poster.jpg
    One of my favorite horror and fantasy films ever! this is Barker's most underrated film and quite an imaginative film with an excellent performance by David Cronenberg (director of The Fly, Scanners, The Brood, History of Violence, Videodrome etc.) who plays Deckar the doll-masked killer/psychologist who knows the secret of the monster society.

I saw this in theaters 3 times when i was 8 years old and even had a t-shirt yet i still own the comics and CD soundtrack plus i had a poster plus some Fangoria issues about it as i collected Fangoria since i was 4 with Starlog as well.

It's based on Clive Barker's published book in 1988 Cabal as Barker decided to do a film version of his book the same year for an August 1989 release date for Fox/Morgan Creek as he filmed it then was forced to reshoot the film in August 1989 for a different version and his other version was not seen again as the film felt incomplete when it came out in Februrary 1990. Recently since 2010 the original cut has been found and has been in the works since 2011 for 2 and a half year to have both theatrical and original footage spliced into the film to make a longer cut with stuff never seen before plus does more explaining about the monsters of Midian.

The new Cabal cut has been shown in film festivals and midnight shows thanks to Occupy Films and Clive himself and now this early fall Scream Factory has got the rights to the Nightbreed Cabal Cut to be on blu-ray/DVD combo and i can't wait to see the new cut to see what was missing since 1990.

And who else thinks the film has the feel of Guillermo Del Toro's films and could had been one of the inspirations behind Hellboy (comics and movies) and Pan's Labyrinth? i mean Mike Mignolia and Guillermo Del Toro are both fans of Barker and i think they could also be Nightbreed fans. I mean there are some similarities to Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth in Nightbreed.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Heroic Warrior
    Any oidea when the bluray is due out? I loved this movie as a kid. The monsters were so cool and well designed. My favorite was the porcupine lady. She had a cool design and I liked how she was able to throw her quills. I wish they had made a sequel to it.

I actually saw this with my MOM when I was 14, LOL. It was obvious it was cut down and was kind of a mess.

I still dug it, and 5 years later read the book.

I am very pumped about the Cabal cut and can't wait to see it. Deckar the doctor was awesome.

Nice thread man, thanks for reminding me I need to be on the look out to watch this, and make it an event! Maybe I will even save it to watch it with my mom 24 years later this Easter when she comes to visit.

A NightBreed Easter!
    HAVES: MOSS MAN, ADORA, Mantenna, King Randor
    WANTS: Whiplash, Stinkor, Trap-Jaw, Webstor
    Toyguru Collector Supreme posted December 12, 2013 "Can't understand what you are asking. Sorry."
    Toyguru Marketing Manager Mattel posted March 16, 2014 "Every great project from toys to movie and a TV usually need a fan base to support it and an "internal champion" that keeps it going through the system."

Ha! It's funny that this topic should come up, because I was *just* talking about Nightbreed yesterday, inquiring *when exactley* the Director's Cut was going to be released this year. Really looking forward to this impending release, but I wish they could somehow give us the 160-minute Cabal Cut as well, instead of just the pared down Director's Cut.

The 11 pages of interviews with David Cronenberg, Doug Bradley, Anne Bobby, Clive Barker (and Mark Miller and Russell Cherrington) in the latest issue of Fangoria is an interesting read, as is the shorter piece on Dante Tomaselli's "Torture Chamber", though I'm super disappointed to see that he's still waiting on funding for "Alice, Sweet Alice." I'm scared he's going to get tied up with his latest project, "The Doll", for a loooooong time...LOL Oh - and it was fitting to have "Don't Look Now" in the same issue, since the Director of Alice, Alfred Sole, drew some inspiration from that for Alice/Communion.
    Last edited by Tallstar; January 25, 2014 at 07:23am.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by SorceressSon View Post
    Any oidea when the bluray is due out?
    Right now its just scheduled for fall, I haven't started working on the packaging yet, so I doubt it will be moved up.

This is awesome news! And with that whole Del Toro thought process it would be amazing to watch.
    "Problems Weaver?"

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Right now its just scheduled for fall, I haven't started working on the packaging yet, so I doubt it will be moved up.
    Read that on the Scream Factory Facebook page. Looks like it'll be awesome.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

I've been meaning to check this film out sometime.
    You work for Shout! Factory now? Cool.

...we've discovered a whole box of rare on-set photos that were taken back in its original production! Expect to see many of these images - and other great stuff - on our release this Fall.

Fantastic film. Really hard to find on DVD in the UK, though. Annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I've been meaning to check this film out sometime.
    You work for Shout! Factory now? Cool.
    They're one of my clients. I do all the Scream Factory titles (and others).

Great movie that's practically unknown outsides the horror circles.

I'm quite surprised it hasn't reached a more "cult classic" status.

Awesome. Can't wait to see the extended version when it hits Blu-Ray!
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Considering Hellraiser 1 and 2 are high on my list of most favorite movies of all times, I'm surprised I missed this entirely for all these years. I'm really looking forward to this release, but should I go ahead and watch the theatrical version now or wait until the Cabal cut to pop my cherry?

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    Considering Hellraiser 1 and 2 are high on my list of most favorite movies of all times, I'm surprised I missed this entirely for all these years. I'm really looking forward to this release, but should I go ahead and watch the theatrical version now or wait until the Cabal cut to pop my cherry?
    I have not seen the CABAL version yet, but have seen the theatrical version around 3 times.

My recommendation is to read the book first, I don't think even the CABAL version can squeeze all the details into it. Then watch the CABAL version.

The theatrical version is pretty disjointed, but it is some eye candy - love the special effects, the doctor and the monsters.
    HAVES: MOSS MAN, ADORA, Mantenna, King Randor
    WANTS: Whiplash, Stinkor, Trap-Jaw, Webstor
    Toyguru Collector Supreme posted December 12, 2013 "Can't understand what you are asking. Sorry."
    Toyguru Marketing Manager Mattel posted March 16, 2014 "Every great project from toys to movie and a TV usually need a fan base to support it and an "internal champion" that keeps it going through the system."

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Don't believe I have ever seen this. Well, perhaps I must school myself when the Cabal version comes out...

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    They're one of my clients. I do all the Scream Factory titles (and others).
    The From Beyond blu ray was fantastic, even with Jeffrey Comb's "Oh, this porridge is too hot.
    Oh, wah, wah, wah!” whinge fest of a interview. I agree with the deal with the pineal gland but Bruce Abbott as Crawford Tillinghast? Nope I can't picture that.
    Last edited by Sorceress; January 28, 2014 at 06:32am.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Heroic Warrior
    ShunaSassi.jpg

Say uh did any guys here thought Shuna Sassi the porcupine monster lady was hot? i did and i remembered having a crush on her when i was a kid and even saw more of her in the comics, she walked around naked and is quite a beautiful creature.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; March 4, 2014 at 03:37am.

I love Nightbreed and am really looking forward to the Blu-ray release. In addition to action figures, I also collect Halloween masks. Thought all you Nightbreed fans might like to see this latex Dr. Decker mask by Silver Shampain Novelties. I wish more artists would offer merchandise from this film.

"Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Heroic Warrior
    Oooh i want that and might be him for Halloween or at the San Diego comic con

I love Nightbreed! I had not heard about this Cabal version. Man, I'm totally excited!
    MELIAC in MOTUC! We need a mutant, alien, cyclops, reformed baddie, sheriff in the mix!

PLEASE ANNOUNCE DRAGSTOR SOON!

Heroic Warrior
    Well Kreann'ot as i mentioned it was a long horror film that ran to 160 minutes long then was cut up heavily to 110 minutes by the studio and Clive was not happy but luckily there was the 160 minute version found and the new blu-ray will have the new 150 minute director's cut plus the other additional footage from the Cabal Cut as deleted scenes according to sources.

Besides Shuna Sussi, the smoke lady was quite "smokin' too, get it?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    and the new blu-ray will have the new 150 minute director's cut plus the other additional footage from the Cabal Cut as deleted scenes according to sources.
    Oh wow, so we are definitely getting EVERYTHING that was on VHS workprint that was discovered some time back? All the trimmed down scenes/deleted material will be extras? I keep getting confused on what the running time will be on the Scream Factory Director's Cut release, due to all the numbers I've seen thrown out in past articles. Here's my understanding of the genesis (someone correct me if I'm wrong): Originally, the 160 minute Cabal Cut version was screened, which included everything from the VHS workprint, but then they later cut it down by approx. 5 mintues for subsequent festivals because there was a death that happened twice? Then, several months ago, I thought I read somewhere (maybe Bloody Disgusting...not sure) that we would be getting a 144 minute cut. But now see this 150 minute number.

Heroic Warrior
    But still would be nice if they had some of the leftover cabal cut stuff in deleted scenes sections on the blu-ray/DVD combo.

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    I remember watching this as a kid and loving it. I'll look forward to a new release thanks for sharing.