Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Better season, 1 or 2?

Hun

Better season, 1 or 2?

I realize this is not a very creative idea this thread but... What is your favourite season. I prefer the first. It's funny but in the second season the episodes are either very good or very bad. But in the first they are all pretty good. what do you think??

A big fan of Slush Head
    I agree with Jukka season 1 was superior.

I like Season 1 better. It just had some better storylines. What I like most about Season 2 is seeing some of the MOTU toy debuts. I would have liked to see a few of them more prominently featured throughout the season, though.

for me season 1 was alot better quality eps for the most part more classic episodes
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

Hun
    the first half of season 2 was a lot better than the second half. The very last episodes were pretty bad. Maybe because they were to busy with the She-Ra series.

I disagree with the majority. I'm enjoying Season Two a lot more than Season One. Not to say that Season One wasn't good (becaue it is great) or anything, but Season Two just feels more mature and more interesting to me.

~W~
    Tales of Masters of the Universe
    The story of Masters of the Universe - spanning from Skeletor's origin to the final fate of He-Man!
    Masters of the Universe: New Legacy
    Find out what happened after the 200x series! Featuring stories and artwork from throughout the fan community!

WANTED: Stratos, Webstor, Horde Prime, Spikor, Snake Mountain stands, and Gygor

Howdy

Well having yet to have seen S2V2 I would say season one is far better. Or more specifically the episodes in S1V2. Best boxset by far and best episodes in a season.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

A big fan of Slush Head
    This Thread should have a poll.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Season 2 was what MOTU was for me - technology/space travel/sorcery/magic all mixed together and more action and better animation. The best and most enjoyable.

Season 1 was too much sword and sorcery and in some parts a bit 'soppy'.

Hun
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat
    Season 2 was what MOTU was for me - technology/space travel/sorcery/magic all mixed together and more action and better animation. The best and most enjoyable.

Season 1 was too much sword and sorcery and in some parts a bit 'soppy'.
    I disagree, season one had more action. And Skeletor was more evil in season one. In season two he's a total moron. In some episodes it looks like the writers have lost their intersest. this is obvious in the last episodes of season 2. The first half of sesaon 2 is pretty good.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Overall I'd say that Season One is far superior. It had better stories, with very few true duds (*ahem*Starchild*ahem), whereas Season Two was more hit-and-miss.
    Not that Season Two didn't have some truly excellent episodes, ("To Save Skeletor", "The Shadow Of Skeletor", "The Rainbow Warrior", "The Problem With Power" just to name a few), but the overall quality didn't seem as high, particularly in the second half of the season.

As I've already said on the Worst Episodes thread, too many later Season Two episodes seemed to focus on saving animals of flowers or anti-drugs messages.

In Season One, particularly the first half, while the Evil Warriors were always used mostly for comic relief, they did at the same time seem more credible and menacing, particularly with the likes of Mer Man, for example.
    Plus Season One was more set in the mythological swords-and-sorcery feel that I love, whereas many Season Two episodes moved into more space-y type stories.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Reviewing some season one eipsodes last night, I'm quite surprised that everyone is saying season one is superior....

I think season two is far superior as the episodes have much more cohesive stories and there aren't sudden changes in the plot that leave me going what just happened here.... . Plus the animation, thankfully, got much much better. Maybe I'm watching a different show from the rest of you...

Lion_Heart
    season 1 i prefer better

I probably prefer Season Two, the episodes just seem a bit more diverse and interesting than the standard 'Skeletor tries to take over Greyskul...again!' plots of Season One.

And I nearly died trying to get through Season One Volume Two, it really did send me to sleep after a few episodes

Hun
    the reason why i liked season one better is because its darker and skeletor is ALOT more evil in it. In seasion 2 the evil warriors are too stupid...

Chris here...

I think both have their good and bad points - but, I'll be honest and say for me I think season 2 had the stronger storytelling, with more inventive storylines. Also, if you think of the "classic" episodes of He-Man, with the exception of "Teela's Quest", "The Dragon's Gift" and possibly "Double Edged Sword" it seems they all come from season 2 - "The Problem With Power", "Origin of the Sorceress", "Into the Abyss", "Visitors From Earth", "The Rainbow Warrior", and so on!

However, I will add that I tend to think of He-Man episodes either as one long series or as individual episodes rather than thinking in terms of individual seasons, so it's a tough one for me to comment on - like I say, I think both had their equal share of good and bad points!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan
    Chris here...

I think both have their good and bad points - but, I'll be honest and say for me I think season 2 had the stronger storytelling, with more inventive storylines. Also, if you think of the "classic" episodes of He-Man, with the exception of "Teela's Quest", "The Dragon's Gift" and possibly "Double Edged Sword" it seems they all come from season 2 - "The Problem With Power", "Origin of the Sorceress", "Into the Abyss", "Visitors From Earth", "The Rainbow Warrior", and so on!

Take care...
    True, to a point. While many of the classics did come from Season Two, they were the good episodes amongst many hit-and-miss duds, whereas Season One had a higher level of good episodes, IMO.

(Oh, and as for Season One classics, what about "Evilseed", "The Witch And The Warrior"... I won't reel off a list).
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Hun
    Evilseed is sooo overrated...

Season two, no contest. More (and better) better animation, stories were more varied.
    http://heyupthere.ytmnd.com/ - He-Man: Environmentalist
    http://castlegrayskull.ytmnd.com/ - The Sorceress hosts the BEST parties!

I find it very hard to rate one season as better than the other. I think both have their even mix of good and bad points.

Season 1 had a slightly darker feel for the most part, and given that there were fewer figures out at the time it avoided the 'toy commercial' feel (apart from "Diamond Ray of Disappearance" of course), yet at the same time the character development wasn't all that strong, aside from episodes like "Teela's Quest" a lot of it was just straightforward action and things often felt a bit samey... most Skeletor episodes seemed to deal with just another invasion on Grayskull, while many non-Skeletor episodes just dealt with some kind of archaeological expedition or something.

Season 2, meanwhile, had more diversity of storylines, stronger character development and many of the series' greatest classics ("Into the Abyss", "Problem With Power"). Yet at the same time it also had a lot more plots that were just plain daft and therefore also contained most of the worst episodes, while the villains were dumbed down and Skeletor, for the most part, came across as more of a pantomime villain.

Given these even mixtures of good/bad points it's pretty hard to single one season out as better than the other. As is the case with many things MOTU, the best would come from a mixture of the strong points of both, and an elimination of the weak points of both.

And as a postscript: I agree with the previous poster, Evilseed is no classic! It's not bad, but it is soooooo overrated!
    Aidan Cross- Official Website
    The Bacillus- my band's official website
    Excavating the 80s- my blog on unsung bands of the 80s

Hun
    Like i said before, season 2-episodes were either very good or very bed. Some of the best episodes were in season 2, but also most of the worst episodes. The Skeletor-taking-over-grayskull in season 1 gets a little boring after 20 episodes

Quote Originally Posted by Hun
    Like i said before, season 2-episodes were either very good or very bed. Some of the best episodes were in season 2, but also most of the worst episodes. The Skeletor-taking-over-grayskull in season 1 gets a little boring after 20 episodes
    I agree totally. The good Season Two eps are very good, but the bad are very bad.
    The Skeletor-taking-over-Grayskull did start to get a little repetative, although most of those episodes, when watched on their own and not all in a row, are pretty good ones IMO. I wouldn't have minded the odd such episode here-and-there in Season Two.
    It's funny, at the start of Season One, Skeletor was obsessed with getting inside Grayskull; By late Season Two he'd practically forgotten about it.
    ~jay firestorm~

Hun
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust
    I agree totally. The good Season Two eps are very good, but the bad are very bad.
    The Skeletor-taking-over-Grayskull did start to get a little repetative, although most of those episodes, when watched on their own and not all in a row, are pretty good ones IMO. I wouldn't have minded the odd such episode here-and-there in Season Two.
    It's funny, at the start of Season One, Skeletor was obsessed with getting inside Grayskull; By late Season Two he'd practically forgotten about it.
    Or realised he'd never succeed

Howdy

Okay so you guys seem to prefer an overdose of Skeletor. I know there have been some Season preferers (word?) but a lot seem to think season 2 is better. Now okay I may not be the best person to question this having only seen 3 or 4 eps from the upcoming boxset but from my little research thing I did a bit a go Skeletor is in more S2 eos than S1 so I would like to how the stories could be more diverse than those found in S1 or specifically S1V2. I know there are classics such as Into the Abyss, Happy Birthday Roboto, Battle of the Dragons, The Problem with Power, The Rainbow Warrior and Origin of the Sorceress but I don't know, Season 1 just seems more diverse to me. Eps like Gameplan, The Remedy, Heart of a Giant, Double Edged Sword, House of Shokoti, Trouble in Arcadia, The Defection etc all centre on different themes and villians (aside from DES).

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN