View Poll Results: How do you rate "Fisto's Forest" out of 10 (with 10 being the highest)

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

1 12.50%
  • 2 points

0 0%
  • 3 points

0 0%
  • 4 points

0 0%
  • 5 points

2 25.00%
  • 6 points

1 12.50%
  • 7 points

0 0%
  • 8 points

1 12.50%
  • 9 points

1 12.50%
  • 10 points

2 25.00%

Thread: "Fisto's Forest" vintage episode review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

"Fisto's Forest" vintage episode review thread

Some good feedback on the last couple of week's episode review threads. "Into The Abyss" wasn't all that surprising as it is so popular, but even the often overlooked episodes such as "The Huntsman" and "The Remedy" got a good lot of posts.

Anyway, this week's thread is on "FISTO'S FOREST". Notable for being the MOTU medium to give Fisto an origin story (until the 200x revamp, anyway).

Brief plot overview:
    After protecting a young boy from a Grazzler Bear, Fisto tells the youngster how he first met He-Man, who helped turn him from villain to hero. A few years ago, Fisto terrorized a small village, and blocked their water supply, causing their crops to fail. A young girl goes went the Royal Palace to ask for help, and King Randor sent Prince Adam, Teela, Orko and Cringer to look into the situation, and they found themselves trying to put an end to Fisto's reign of terror...

Let's hear what you have to say on this origin episode.
    My own review to follow in a while. And whether you post your thoughts or not, don't forget to rate the episode in the poll!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

i think that this is just an average ep i give it a 5

it was nice to see fistos intro
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

Hun
    I hate this episode with a passion. It's one of the most boring episodes of season 2. And why did Fisto decide to be good instead of evil?? oh yes, a tee fell on top of him.. please. This episode really bothers me. I give this one 5 out of 10

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

"Fisto's Forest" review

"Fisto's Forest" is an early second season story that gives an origin story to the giant-fisted warrior.

The design of the boy that Fisto saves from the Grazzler Bear is one that is used in a number of other episodes in various roles.

Fisto then proceeds to tell him how he first met He-Man, and went from being a villain to a hero. I think this story would have worked just as well told 'in the present', and would have been more challenging to viewers, wondering why Fisto, who they new from other material as a Heroic Warrior, was here presented as a foe.

The father (Yaro) and grandfather designs have been recycled and re-coloured many times through the course of the history, dating right back to the early episode "The Curse of the Spellstone". The design of the man's daughter, Rana, is recycled too... just about every character in this episode is recycled from somewhere!!

I like the design of Fisto's spider helper, Arachna, it looks really evil. The design would be used again later in the season as the Jawlik in "Search for a Son".

An interesting question arises in the set-up of this episode. If Fisto is telling the young boy the tale, and we see Prince Adam transform into He-Man, does this mean that Fisto knows Adam's secret? ...Of course not, but it does pose an interesting flaw in the structure of the episode.

The Elf Lord is yet another recycled and slightly re-coloured design, first appearing as Tullamore the Treeprachaun in the first season's classic "The Dragon's Gift". As this story is forest based anyway, I personally think it would have been great if it had actually been the same character, and given the episode more depth.

Fisto's tree headquarters are interesting, and might have made a good play-set (maybe it would have fitted in with Mattel's un-produced Treehouse Play-set).

I can't really get my teeth into this 'origin' of Fisto, but it is in keeping with him being an outdoor-living character, which I always liked about him.

After Rana has saved Fisto and he has decided to abandon his wicked ways, as he lifts the giant boulder with He-Man, he opens his fist to lift it, showing that it is not always set in a clenched fist pose.

There is an unexpected cameo appearance by Skeletor late on, but it is only fleeting, and I have to confess that by this stage I was rather bored by the whole episode.

This is by no means the bottom of the barrel in terms of Filmation episodes, but this one just never really did anything for me. It's not bad as such, but just rather bland with not much outstanding about it. I find it rather dragged out with not all that much of interest; a b-plot would have at least helped things a bit. It puts me in mind a bit of the "He-Man Meets Ram Man!" mini-comic; I wish it could have captured some of the excitement of that story. It is also similar in many ways to season one's "The Mystery of Man-E-Faces", with both involving a Heroic Warrior starting out as a villain. Although "Mystery..." is not an outstanding favourite of mine, I at least care about what happens to Man-E in that episode. In "Fisto's Forest"... I like Fisto as a character, but in this episode, I just don't really care.
    I give this one 6 out of 10, and a generous 6 at that.

(By the way, on the DVD notes, the first one seems to be incomplete. It says about a longer exchange between Fisto and Yarrow (sic) but doesn’t really make sense; I think it meant to read "In the original script…".)
    Last edited by Spacedust; March 13, 2007 at 07:38pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Hun
    I just watched this episode again today. Man, it really stinks. Douglas Booth always wrote boring episodes. I can't write to safe his life. Well, actually Sleepera awaken was pretty good.

Fantastic episode with protagonist one of my favourite character! Voted 9!

Bad, bad episode.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...