View Poll Results: How do you rate "Trouble in Trolla" out of 10 (with 10 being the highest)

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

0 0%
  • 2 points

0 0%
  • 3 points

0 0%
  • 4 points

1 16.67%
  • 5 points

2 33.33%
  • 6 points

1 16.67%
  • 7 points

2 33.33%
  • 8 points

0 0%
  • 9 points

0 0%
  • 10 points

0 0%

Thread: "Trouble in Trolla" vintage episode review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

"Trouble in Trolla" vintage episode review thread

Well, on last week's thread, we learnt that pretty much nobody really cares for "Fisto's Forest" (including me!). Anyway, another week, another vintage episode review thread.

This week it's the turn of "Trouble in Trolla", notable for Larry DiTillio fleshing out the world of Trolla, and for being a showcase of Whiplash working solo.

Brief plot overview:
    Dree Elle arrives from Trolla to alert Orko that Orko's Uncle Montork has been overthrown from his position as head of the Academy of Magic by a young wizard named Snoob. He-Man gets the Sorceress to teleport himself and Battle Cat to Trolla to meet Orko and Dree Elle there and investigate what is going on. Montork explains that in a recent magic duel, his magic failed and backfired, and Snoob was given his position. Investigating, Orko and Dree Elle discover that Snoob is being forced to work for Whiplash, who promptly captures them…

Let's hear what you have to say on this episode. And whether you post your comments or not, don't forget to rate the ep in the poll.
    My own review in a while...
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

well the only thing i liked bout the episode is its in trolla has dreelle montork however the story itself is weak even though not one of the worst its not one of the best i will give it a 5
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

I don't care if I get flak but this was my fav ep ever simply because Whiplash fav baddie got ep to himself.

I always wanted to see more eps with Whiplash on his own or without Skeletor.

Quote Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
    I don't care if I get flak but this was my fav ep ever simply because Whiplash fav baddie got ep to himself.

I always wanted to see more eps with Whiplash on his own or without Skeletor.
    (Not my proper review yet, but...) I agree, it's really good to see Whiplash get an episode to himself, but other than that, I find this a rather silly and uninteresting episode, one of my lesser favourites definitely.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

My problem is that Larry DiTillio turned Trolla from a land of magic (which had been established in "Dawn of Dragoon") into a rather generic world with no magical atmosphere...

DiTillio would get it wrong again with the She-Ra episode "The Greatest Magic" and make Trolla far too "wacky"...

The only writer to ever represent Trolla perfectly was Robby London...

Quote Originally Posted by Busta Toons View Post
    My problem is that Larry DiTillio turned Trolla from a land of magic (which had been established in "Dawn of Dragoon") into a rather generic world with no magical atmosphere...

DiTillio would get it wrong again with the She-Ra episode "The Greatest Magic" and make Trolla far too "wacky"...

The only writer to ever represent Trolla perfectly was Robby London...
    I was never really too keen on any Trolla-based episodes (I can take "Dawn of Dragoon" at a push). It just seemed to rather take away from the uniqueness of Orko, and - Busta took the words out of my mouth - was often turned into a rather generic world, with lots of "wacky" characters instead of the magical place that it should have been. I quite like Dree Elle as a character, but prefer her Eternia-based apperances.

Just goes to show, even the mighty DiTillio was not perfect!

I wonder how Trolla would have fared if the MYP version had strayed there.
    Last edited by Spacedust; March 20, 2007 at 09:31pm.
    ~jay firestorm~

"Trouble in Trolla" review

(Please excuse the double post, just wanted to add my review while I have time to get on-line)

"Trouble in Trolla" is an unusually weak offering from the normally reliable Larry DiTillio.

Things start off with... would you believe it... one of Orko's magic tricks going wrong - wow, they've never done that one before!!

One of my gripes with this episode is that it takes a long time to really get going.

This is the only episode to feature both Dree Elle and Uncle Montork (and Montork's pet, Gark) at the same time, and Montork and Gark's only appearance in the second season, thus the last time we see them.

Although we don't really see them do anything, the concept of "the Crimson Council" isn't bad. DiTillio would bring them back (as Busta said) in the late season one 'She-Ra: Princess of Power' episode "The Greatest Magic".

When the Sorceress opens a portal to send He-Man and Battle Cat to Trolla, the notion introduced in season one's "Dawn of Dragoon" that everything in Trolla was back-to-front, and thus He-Man and Battle Cat were turned back into Prince Adam and Cringer, seems to have been totally forgotten. This might possibly be explained away by suggesting that, after He-Man had reported the effect to the Sorceress, she came up with a stronger powered portal that didn't affect them. ...I dunno, just an idea of explaining it!

Snoob has a long nose poking through his veil, giving us one of our very few clues about what a Trollan's face might look like.

When watching the episode for the first time, it comes as quite a surprise to see Whiplash, on Trolla and working solo, behind all the trouble. It is nice to see Whippy working on his own (he wants to learn the Trollan's magic prove himself to Skeletor), but he deserved a better episode than this to showcase him.
    Whiplash has helping him little pig-like henchmen called Krooms. It is never really clear if these are inhabitants of Trolla, or if Whiplash brought them with him.

As He-Man, Montork and Battle Cat head to rescue the captured Orko and Dree Elle, Montork is caught by a Tree Octopus. He-Man stands, watches, and says "Montork! ...I've got to help Montork!" - so stop standing there and get on with it then!! Anyway, I quite like the simple but effective design of the Tree Octopus.

As Orko, Dree Elle and Snoob try to escape from the Krooms' fortress, Orko quips "This place has more twists than a pretzel factory" - an unusual (and not really necessary) reference to something found on Earth (unless they have them on Eternia or Trolla as well - who knows).
    The only nice touch is that a minute or so later, Montork starts to utter the same line before he bumps, literally, into Dree Elle.

One thing I noticed about this episode, is the number of names that Orko calls Whiplash - very much in the vein of the sort of lame insults that Skeletor would come out with. "Lizard breath" ... "Alligator breath" ... "Crocodile face" ... of course, this does rather confuse what Whiplash is. In "To Save Skeletor", for example, the Sorceress refers to him as "...the reptile man"; Here Orko refers to him as lizard, alligator, and crocodile, so matters are confused even more!!

With Orko, Dree Elle and Snoob having escaped, and He-Man, Battle Cat and Montork on the scene, Whiplash brings in his secret weapon - the giant, grub-like Scarg. The design was first used in the enjoyable first season episode "The Witch and the Warrior", where it was sand coloured.

The one bit of animation that I really like in this episode, comes after the Trollan trio have shrunk the Scarg down to being tiny, and Dree Elle puts it in Whiplash's boot. Whiplash pulls his boot of, and pounds it with his tail.

The episode closes with the obligatory scene of how Snoob has learnt his lesson.

Well, this episode goes to show that not all of Larry DiTillio's contributions to the series were perfect. I find this episode very dragged out, and with little real plot. I was never personally too keen on Trolla-based episodes, and this one sums up why - whereas it should be a magical land, it is just so typically "cartoon-wacky". This is one of my least watched episodes; I'd also rank it as DiTillio's weakest script for the series.
    Also, while I absolutely love the classic Filmation series, I would point to episodes like this to show that it wasn't all perfect.
    One thing I did realise watching it, that I had maybe never been conscious of, is that Whiplash is one of my favourite post-first two wave characters. He just deserves a better vehicle than this.
    I give this episode an unusually low 4 out of 10.
    Last edited by Spacedust; March 21, 2007 at 11:36am.
    ~jay firestorm~

Thats a fair review you've posted and yes Whiplash could have had a better solo episode.

Always liked when goons like Tri Klops, Mer Man etc teamed up or had a few solo shows without Skeletor.

Would love to have seen more of Whipash, Webstor & Tri Klops in series with better storylines.