View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage King Hiss figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

1 1.37%
  • 2 points

1 1.37%
  • 3 points

3 4.11%
  • 4 points

3 4.11%
  • 5 points

6 8.22%
  • 6 points

8 10.96%
  • 7 points

8 10.96%
  • 8 points

17 23.29%
  • 9 points

12 16.44%
  • 10 points

14 19.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King Hiss vintage figure review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

King Hiss vintage figure review thread

Last week's figure review thread on the Horde Trooper got off to a bit of a slow start, maybe due in part to being one of the rarer figures thus not so many people had experience of it, but picked up later on with some good posts.

Anyway, this week's thread is on a key character introduced later on in the toy-line's life, and the head of a third group of enemies for He-Man and co. to deal with. It's... KING HISS.

I was pretty much off of the toy-line by the time King Hiss was released. I still really enjoyed watching repeats of the Filmation cartoon and reading the various earlier books, annuals, comics, etc., but by this stage I confess that the line had moved a little too far away from its early barbarian, swords & sorcery origins for my own personal taste.

I never really warmed to King Hiss. As a toy concept, of a human whose torso peeled away to reveal an inner body of snakes, was fairly good I suppose, but I always felt that he wasn't strong enough for the head of a group. Maybe as one of the Snake Men's warriors he would have been okay, but as the head... I don't know, I just couldn't relate to him.

I liked much more what they did with the concept in the 200x version, with (General) Rattlor much more as the "leader" of the Snake Men, and King Hssss (note change in spelling) presented more sort of as the Snake Men's idol, but Rattlor more likely to lead the side into battle.

The original 1980s version of the Snake Men, while still very much their own sect, were presented as being closer aligned to Skeletor's Evil Warriors than they Horde were, in most material anyway.

The King Hiss figure was released too late to appear in the Filmation series. A couple of the Snake Men were adapted to fit into 'She-Ra: Princess of Power', where they were Horde members, but King Hiss himself was not brought to the screen in any form.

When I started collecting the line "seriously", King Hiss was one of the last figures that I got complete to finish my collection. I had a couple of incomplete ones, but ones with all the parts are more sought after, and I have to confess that I never really cared for the character enough to pay out for a mint one until it was one of the last holes in my collection that needed filling.

The 200x figure version wasn't bad. It looked edgier; although I admit that it still didn't rate as one of my favourites. Purely in terms of a toy it was good, but in terms of a character... still didn't quite reach out and grab me.

My rating of the vintage figure: Well, I think this might be a little controversial, and I know that some will absolutely love the figure, but I'm afraid I personally only give it 5 out of 10. (And that's more for it in terms of toy playability than for the actual character)

So there are my thoughts.
    I'd like to hear your own thoughts, comments, criticisms, improvements, memories, and anything else King-Hiss related.
    And as always, whether you post of not, don't forget to rate the figure in the poll!
    Last edited by Spacedust; March 23, 2007 at 06:51pm. Reason: re-worded sentence slightly
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

King Hiss gets a 9 from me, he was always one of my favourites. Although I've only owned the classic figure for about a year!
    I liked the whole concept of the handsome friendly looking guy splitting apart to reveal a horrible monster. Had we seen a Third Season of the cartoon, I would have liked to see King Hiss as a rival villain to Skeletor.

I liked his 200x update even more, even though the figure wasn't the best, his characterisation in the cartoon as the more regal, sinister villain was great. Shame Zodak always had to be the one to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky Martin View Post
    I liked the whole concept of the handsome friendly looking guy splitting apart to reveal a horrible monster. Had we seen a Third Season of the cartoon, I would have liked to see King Hiss as a rival villain to Skeletor.
    I really liked that concept of him too, I just thought he wasn't iconic enough as the leader of the group. (Also, if there had been a third season, Hordak and the Horde would have been more likely, as they were released at that time. Time-line wise, King Hiss wouldn't have been around until the fourth season).

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky Martin View Post
    I liked his 200x update even more, even though the figure wasn't the best, his characterisation in the cartoon as the more regal, sinister villain was great. Shame Zodak always had to be the one to beat him.
    I don't know, I kind of liked that Zodak was the only one really capable of defeating him. It made Zodak seem more powerful, and was a nice change from He-Man always being the one needed to defeat enemies.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Heroic Warrior
    One of the best figures EVER. I love this guy and just, wow - what a brilliant idea for an action figure! Mattel was HOT in those days.

Heroic Warrior
    5 out of 10.
    The idea of a character whose torso is a group of snakes, is good. If this character is the leader of the Snake Men es good, but please HE CANīT BE SMILING LIKE A LITTLE GIRL.
    The figure is not very playable, it would be better if the chest, back and arms splitted by pressing a botton or something like that.
    Good concept and good shield:10 points
    Girl smile and bad playability: - 5 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkan View Post
    5 out of 10.
    The idea of a character whose torso is a group of snakes, is good. If this character is the leader of the Snake Men es good, but please HE CANīT BE SMILING LIKE A LITTLE GIRL.
    The figure is not very playable, it would be better if the chest, back and arms splitted by pressing a botton or something like that.
    Good concept and good shield:10 points
    Girl smile and bad playability: - 5 points.
    Oh yeah, the girly smile - not good. I can appreciate they were going for the whole "nice out the outside, horrible on the inside" thing, but they made him look a little too sissy-looking for my liking.
    On the 200x version, they made the outside look mean too, but at least he looked like he meant business.
    ~jay firestorm~

The concept is really cool, but the figure has some down falls. I just added arms to mine to match the new cartoon, and it looks cooler but still the head reall bothers me in his snake form.

***Please read and follow forum rules about image sizes***

The storyline around him and his tentative alliance with Skeletor was great. It was also one of my favorite comics as a kid, and I remember finding it genuinly scary/creepy, when He-man shook his hand and the skin started slipping off.

As for the figure, I dig how his human look is. Kinda simple, but cool. Looks like a heroic figure. The transforming property is pretty neat too, for it's time.

But then, him as a snake isnt' so great, since to fit in the human body, it's small and really not that imposing looking. More odd. But despite that I love the figure and always display him as human.

He-Bro: I LOVE that idea. I may have to get myself a base only Hiss (Can't be hard to get one without his arms and stuff) and do a little modding of my own so I also have a great Snake Form Hisss to display.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

I LOVED this toy AND the character. I think the reason people found him not iconic enough is because Mattel had JUST begun to develop him... He was supposed to be the main villain (I think) for Powers of Grayskull. So, he would have been as iconic as Hordak if not Skeletor.

His origins are mysterious, as are his powers. There was a fan-comic where Teela, as the new Sorceress, was forced to marry him... thought that was cool.

He was an awesome figure - the shield was even cool

10 out of 10!
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I LOVED this toy AND the character. I think the reason people found him not iconic enough is because Mattel had JUST begun to develop him... He was supposed to be the main villain (I think) for Powers of Grayskull. So, he would have been as iconic as Hordak if not Skeletor.
    I agree and disagree. I think when you look at Skeletor or Hordak, you kind of know instantly what they're all about. But with King Hiss, he's kind of half man, half snake creature; which is good as a Snake Man concept, but not defintative enough to be an instantly recognisable leader. That's why, as I said, I actually prefered to 200x version, where Rattlor was more of the leader, with Hiss as their idol-type-thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    There was a fan-comic where Teela, as the new Sorceress, was forced to marry him... thought that was cool.
    I remember that, it was really good! I seem to recall it was to do with He-Man returning to Etneria from his "New Adventures" phase. I only ever saw the first part, up on-line, but remember it being of a very good quality.
    ~jay firestorm~

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    I remember that, it was really good! I seem to recall it was to do with He-Man returning to Etneria from his "New Adventures" phase. I only ever saw the first part, up on-line, but remember it being of a very good quality.
    It was called "homecoming" by our very own Emiliano Santalucia.

It was one of my favorites, it tied all the MOTU mythos together that made sence.

The old concept was pretty brilliant. I loved the minicomic where he tricks He-man for the first time. But as you mentioned he didn't look evil enough to be the leader of the group. I feel that where the new 200x Hsss came in a stole the show. I still can't get over the fact at how he actually ate a Caligar.

Back to the point, I never actually owned a classic figure, but I always wanted one. I love how the snakeform looks in the classic figure. It's simple yet scary for some reason. I give it an 8 out of 10.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

It's still available in full...

http://www.mastersunbound.com/specia...troduction.htm

Tis a great read!

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    The concept is really cool, but the figure has some down falls. I just added arms to mine to match the new cartoon, and it looks cooler but still the head reall bothers me in his snake form.

This is a nead mod. Of course, I don't expect the outer body fits over it, but I still like it; I always felt the original inner body had potential but was rather plain.
    ~jay firestorm~

This is a nead mod. Of course, I don't expect the outer body fits over it, but I still like it; I always felt the original inner body had potential but was rather plain.
    I made it so the arms come off really easy and go back on easy too, I also didn't want to alter the original figure at all so the figure is unchanged.

He just has elastic between the posts in his arms, the elastic goes way inside so it has somewhere to go when I take them off. Sorry for taking over this thread, if you have any questions about my guy, please go to the thread in my signature.

cyber-assassin
    I seem to remember his commercial implying the armor flipped or sprung off. I was kinda let down when I got him. But it's not a bad figure.
    Those whom god wishes to destroy,
    He first makes mad. - Reinfield.

Quote Originally Posted by faker32828 View Post
    I seem to remember his commercial implying the armor flipped or sprung off. I was kinda let down when I got him. But it's not a bad figure.
    Yeah, they were a little "creative" with their advertising.
    ~jay firestorm~

I said 9. I've always liked him and owned him as a kid.

I liked king hisss his ability to apear as a good guy and then surprise you as a big evil snake. and his ability to hypnotise, is just clasic. I remember makeing my king hiss give some major bites to heroic warriors, with his main head.

dont seem to remember the smile being all that girly back then. as Arkan had mentioned, don't care for the 2000x remake at all. mainly because of his inability to pose his arms. what where they thinking. lots of memories for king hiss, and have to say perfect 10.

I give him a 9. I love the concept, I love his look and I love the action feature. To be a ten, he just needs a better (less breakable) way to hold his armor on and it a nice snakeman style sword. He is so obviously missing a kingly sword.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

3 for me. I love the concept of the figure, but like He-Bro I just hate the design. After a while I couldn't keep his human shell on anymore beacuse it wore out from me playing with it.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Out of all the MotU figures I owned as a kid, he was one of my faves. The face on him is great! 8 points.

The leader of the Evil Snakemen gets a 6 from me.

He was portrayed well in most MOTU publications, I just wish he made it into the toon.

The best thing about him was also his downfall. I loved the fact that he had removeable skin pieces, but I also think it put a dimmer on the figures playability as the human form of Hiss. I had about 2 or 3 of these when I was a kid.

His weapons are kinda underthought for the King of the Snakemen. I like the whole Snakemen staff thing, but his should have been slightly different, and he should have come with a more offensive weapon, not a shield.

He has a great ministory, I just wish we would have seen more of those other Snakemen other Minis.

A very interesting character, this King Hiss. A character who, like many people around us, don't reveal their true nature... before it's too late.

Hiss rocked!

when I got the figure as a kid I thought it was brilliant...

he was evil and very scary....a normal man hiding a monster beneath...awesome!

I imagined horrible snake rituals like indiana jones and the temple of doom!

with hiss eating poor eternians...usually man-at-arms!

THE DEMON KEY - Skelepimp Mini-Comic

Skelepimp Commissions are only a PM away....