View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Heart of A Giant" out of 10 (with 10 being the highest)

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

0 0%
  • 2 points

0 0%
  • 3 points

0 0%
  • 4 points

0 0%
  • 5 points

0 0%
  • 6 points

0 0%
  • 7 points

2 40.00%
  • 8 points

2 40.00%
  • 9 points

1 20.00%
  • 10 points

0 0%

Thread: "The Heart of A Giant" vintage episode reivew thread

Hybrid View

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

"The Heart of A Giant" vintage episode reivew thread

Well, here we go... we've finally reached "The Heart of A Giant", the final produced episode of the first season. Every first season episode has now been covered on the forum!

This is another episode that splits the vote - some people seem to really dislike it, but let's discuss it anyway.

Brief plot overview:
    Man-At-Arms, Prince Adam, Cringer and Orko are out in the forest, searching for some Sulkweed for one of Duncan's experiments, when a storm draws on. When the group split up, Orko is terrified when he glimpses a giant man, silhouetted by the lightning, and knocks himself out on a tree as he goes to escape. The giant safely returns Orko to the rest of the party, complete with a bag of Sulkweed - but Orko insists that the giant man was a monster who attacked him. Overhead, the evil Sideshow Master spots the giant from his flying circus ship, and wants to capture him for his intergalactic sideshow. He captures the giant, and Orko too, and He-Man must rescue them from the flying circus, as the Sideshow Master sets off after his next target - the flying birdman, Stratos...

Let's hear what you have to say on this what seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it episode. And whether you post your thoughts or not, don't forget to rate it in the poll!
    Last edited by Spacedust; March 26, 2007 at 04:30pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

i dont remember u covering golden disks of knowledge but if u did im sorry i dont recaLL
    Anyway this is defenitly an underrated episode i like it, it has some other villain besides skeletor a giant who is good and very smart who later becomes friends w the heroic warriars and it has some good action and also some fun moments i give it a 7
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    i dont remember u covering golden disks of knowledge but if u did im sorry i dont recaLL
    You're absolutely right! I confused myself by having a review ready on my hard disk, and thought there was an ancient thread already on it. Give the man a cigar. Oh wait, smoking is bad for you. Oh well, give the man a MOC Sorceress then!
    It shall be added to the list; season one SHALL be complete!
    (If anyone can prove me wrong and find an old "Golden Disks..." thread, please do - I'm sure that there was one, but search tells me otherwise)
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

"The Heart of A Giant" review

(Please excuse the double post)

Although some don't like it, "The Heart of A Giant" is in my opinion an extremely enjoyable non-Skeletor story, the final episode produced for the first season.

We at first, like Orko, aren't sure what to make sure of the giant, especially with his blank eyes (although we, unlike Orko, soon realise that he is a harmless fellow). The character's design was directly recycled, even with practically the same colouring, as the Tingler in the unpopular second season episode "Monster on the Mountain" (although he was drawn with eyeballs there). I think that people sometimes confuse that poorly regarded episode with this one, giving this one an unjustly bad name.
    In fact (as mentioned on the DVD notes), this episode is very interesting in that it contains heavy use of character designs that are either recycled, or would be recycled in later episodes.

Anyway... with Man-At-Arms, Prince Adam and Cringer worried about Orko's disappearance, Man-At-Arms comments that it has been "30 minutes, and still no sign of Orko". It is interesting that here they use the Earth method of keeping time, as in other instances they use a different system.

After the giant has safely returned Orko back to the others, complete with a bag of the Sulkweed that Orko was looking for in the first place, I really like how Cringer is so concerned for his little friend, saying "c'mon old buddy, wake up" and licking him. Orko and Cringer's friendship was a nice touch that featured in a number of episodes (it's a shame it didn't make it to the Mike Young Productions version, even though Cringer didn't talk in that one).

This is one of MANY instances where Orko is certain that a harmless being has attacked him. Will be never learn??

I absolutely love the Sideshow Master's ship, with its fish-like design, and the way it eerily flies about silently.

In keeping with the episodes recycling connections, the Sideshow Master's design would be recycled and re-coloured in the early second season episode "The Gamesman". In an interesting coincidence (?), both episodes concern Orko learning not to judge people by their looks.

As the Sideshow Master marches along the corridor of his flying circus ship, we see some of his capture creatures, including: Gorgon from "The Defection"; Zolt from "Orko's Missing Magic", with red dress instead of his original blue; and Tick Tock also from "Orko's Missing Magic"'.
    Whether these are meant to be the original characters or simple recycling (and we know how Filmation loves to recycle) is highly debatable (especially when considering Zolt's re-colouring), but it's nice to think that they are the original characters, and makes a nice retrospective of the season.

Making off with the giant and Orko, the Sideshow Master leaves He-Man, Man-At-Arms and Battle Cat to face his Scorpio pet. This giant scorpion-like terror would have made an excellent toy, similar to Spydor.

While they are busy with that, the Sideshow Master takes off to capture "the winged man", Stratos. The thing is, all of the inhabitants of Avion are winged!! Presumably, SM meant "the strongest of the winged men" or "the leader of the winged men".

Back at the battle with Scorpio, it seems for one horrible moment as if Filmation are going to pull one of their terrible "silly He-Man feats" (TM), but thankfully, he simply knocks down a tree to divert the river, one of his more realistic moves.

In the scene where Orko and the giant, who reveals his name is actually Cambro, escape their cage and Cambro gets to work building a communicator, he suddenly has fangs, which are not shown in any other scene in the episode!

When Stratos picks up He-Man and flies with him to the Sideshow Master's ship, He-Man riding Stratos' back just looks wrong, very very wrong!

When He-Man has freed the other creatures, we get an excellent shot of him, Orko and Cambro with all of the other captured beings which, in addition to the three seen earlier, also include a blue-er and smaller Cavern Monster from "Reign of the Monster", an undersized Bakull from "Teela's Quest", a Fish Man also from "Teela's Quest", a very undersized Gark from "Orko's Favorite Uncle", an Ice Hacker from "The Dragon's Gift", and a Slow-Tow from "Evil-Lyn's Plot". All of them together in one shot is great (I have a screen grab of the shot that I occasionally use as wallpaper).

With the creatures free, Cambro explains to the Heroic party how his size has scared people off for many years. There is a very dubious shot of He-Man - he stands motionless for ages, looking at Cambro's crotch!!
    Cambro is such a great, lovely character, and would have adapted wonderfully to figure form. Anyway, with Cambro's technical know-how, Man-At-Arms gives him a job as his lab assistant. Of course, he is never seen or mentioned again; A real shame.

I have to say, this is definitely one of my favourite non-Skeletor episodes. It has such an exciting, interesting story, and good guest characters.
    I was going to give this episode a high-end 9 out of 10, but watching again to review it, I realise just how much I love it; I've got to give it a top scoring 10 out of 10.
    ~jay firestorm~