Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: COTU Classic Evil Warriors CONTEST!!! COTU PRIZES!!!

COTU Classic Evil Warriors CONTEST!!! COTU PRIZES!!!

the COTU is always looking for ways to indulge that little kid in all of us, there is a reason why grown men and women still surround themselves with toys...we think the BEST reason of all is of course to PLAY with them and what a better way to embrace that imagination to the fullest than a good old fashioned character contest!!! we'll even be including some AWESOME prizes for that little extra incentive to put forth YOUR best ideas!!!

exact prizes are to be determined, but FIRST PLACE will be a "deluxe" weapons pack, something in the MAGIC POWER line...RUNNER UP will also be a "standard" weapons pack, something deffinately cool...there will also be MARVELOUS MYSTERY MERIT prizes awarded completely subjectively by the COTU...

the rules are pretty simple:

fan created character in classic the style/universe, has to be an evil warrior(no horde, no snakemen, etc) submitted by any means of written/bio, drawn/art, or customized/figure...deadline for entries is: 4/13/07, maximum of three entries per person...after the deadline we will poll for a winner and then award the prizes...

i think that about covers the rules, let me know if there are any questions...

now, get to work with those pencils, brushes, and tools and show us what you've got...!!!
    Last edited by skeletoncrew; March 28, 2007 at 08:59pm.

Heroic Warrior
    And I am immediately jumping in with a question!

So this is a fan-created character contest?

Movie mayhem!
    I think a cooler prize for 1st place would be to have that character made as a figure

Quote Originally Posted by Doompuppet View Post
    So this is a fan-created character contest?
    yup...updated first post...i would be willing to accept a "variant" of existing characters, but something tells me they won't hold up against all new characters...

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    I think a cooler prize for 1st place would be to have that character made as a figure
    some people are never satisfied...if i had the $500 available to make the winner into a figure i would, but as of right now i don't(go buy some weapon packs and that will help get to this goal)...i figure ya'll rather get your hands on SOMETHING in the form of weapon packs, than NOTHING, which is about what i can afford right now...

we will probably do more than one contest, eventually working up to making a fan chosen new character...probably use these theme or faction contest to help determine the field for the bigger contest...but, first things first, let's start small and have some fun...!!!

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    How will this be judged? On drawing ability, creativeness, or a combination of the two? Some members are awesome artists, whereas others (like myself) maybe aren't so hot but still have a lot of really great ideas (okay, scrath me out of the "really great ideas" bit)
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    How will this be judged? On drawing ability, creativeness, or a combination of the two? Some members are awesome artists, whereas others (like myself) maybe aren't so hot but still have a lot of really great ideas (okay, scrath me out of the "really great ideas" bit)
    it will be judged by the voters in the poll(s)...it will be up to popular determination...yeah, the lack of drawing ability sucks, so the best bet is to find an awesome artist to team up with to really jazz up the presentation...if not we'll still accept the written bio and who knows it may be compelling enough to inspire art or even win or place all on its own...any which way it will be up to the fans on these boards to determine the winner by whatever means...

Heroic Warrior

Brrr!

Well, here's my first entry. It's been a while since I've pixelled anything, and it looks much better (to me) than my hand-drawn work. This way I don't have to worry about it coming out asymetrical!

COLD BUG

Hailing from the snowy moutain tops, Cold Bug is from a race of brutish beetle-like warriors that are usually content to fight amongst themselves, usually over ownership of caves or pecking order once the strongest among them shows signs of weakness.

Manipulated by Skeletor, the biggest, meanest, stupidest of these creatures (Cold Bug!) attacks He-Man and the Masters. This happens when they are called to the mountains by a group of stranded and terrorized treasure seekers.

Little do they know that their nemesis is waiting in the wings, having engineered the whole scenerio!

Of course, Cold Bug has been told that the group's champion (He-Man) has challenged him, called him weak, and made several derogatory comments about his general appearance. This of course isn't at all true, but reasonable thinking is a bit out of Cold Bug's grasp. Due to his inherent cruelty and beligerent nature, Cold Bug is more than willing to destroy this "intruder" and his friends.

I'd imagine that when the battle is over, even though Cold Bug has the home advantage (as well as the ability to roll and hurl tremendous snow balls the size of boulders) he'd end up defeated at the hands of the Masters. Shamed by this loss, he can not return to his own kind. Weakness is the ultimate taboo in his culture. From there on out he'd be at Skeletor's beck and call, having no other prospects.
    Last edited by Doompuppet; March 28, 2007 at 11:24pm. Reason: Replacing "insect" with "beetle-like".

Cold Bug looks very cool. What kind of program do you use to create sprites, or whatever you want to call them, like that?
    The former Glass Shrimp also known as See-Shell

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks! I use a very old copy of Paint Shop Pro. Basically I just zoom way in and draw pretty much pixel by pixel. Used the oval tool for the giant snowball's outline, though. It seems slow to go pixel-by-pixel, but gets really fast once you get familiar with doing it. Especially when you copy, paste, and flip the image to get the other side!

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    great stuff puppet. keep it coming guys make the choice hard for us

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

COLD BUG

Sweet! That is a wonderful sprite!

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Powers of Preternia Podcast Video Series
    http://www.youtube.com/user/destrong...s?feature=mhum

The bigger they are... Innershade's Avatar
    Pro-motion (with a photoshop combination) is better suited for pixel art guys...

Nice challenge...
    I wonder :
    Classic or new series universe?
    Are we limited to the original/actual existing character figure parts ?
    Will the winner have his character made as a custom figure ?
    Need a comission? PM me...

Quote Originally Posted by Innershade View Post
    Pro-motion (with a photoshop combination) is better suited for pixel art guys...

Nice challenge...
    I wonder :
    Classic or new series universe?
    Are we limited to the original/actual existing character figure parts ?
    Will the winner have his character made as a custom figure ?
    the challenge is limited to classic style. but can be what ever medium you choose. the grandprize winner gets a magical weapons set. and the prize break downs are in the first post.

So I guess this has to incorporate some gimmick? I kinda preferred my motu toys like the first couple of waves... (power punch waist or bust!) it all got a bit hokey after a while
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    So I guess this has to incorporate some gimmick? I kinda preferred my motu toys like the first couple of waves... (power punch waist or bust!) it all got a bit hokey after a while

its free and open to whatever features you want it to have. it just has to be in the fashion of the classic format.

feel free to post as many ideas as you want. but only one from a member can be up for voting.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skeletoncrew View Post
    it will be judged by the voters in the poll(s)...it will be up to popular determination...yeah, the lack of drawing ability sucks, so the best bet is to find an awesome artist to team up with to really jazz up the presentation...if not we'll still accept the written bio and who knows it may be compelling enough to inspire art or even win or place all on its own...any which way it will be up to the fans on these boards to determine the winner by whatever means...
    Cool, I might scratch up a few roughs and see if I like them, and try to beef up my average drawing skills with a good bio.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior View Post
    feel free to post as many ideas as you want. but only one from a member can be up for voting.
    post as many ideas as you want, but when the voting comes a MAXIMUM of THREE entries per person will be allowable(i know some people have ALOT of characters and will find it hard to narrow it down)...but, we won't let the same person win first place AND runner up, so if by some kinda accident the same person ends up in the top two slots we'll work our way down to the next person...

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    Cool, I might scratch up a few roughs and see if I like them, and try to beef up my average drawing skills with a good bio.
    sounds GREAT, can't wait to see what you come up with...!!!

keep 'em coming everybody...!!!

Here is a quick sketch of a character I came up with. His name is Howl-lor. He was taken by Skeletor from his home in the vine jungle. skeletor bound him in the same chains that he used to control and bind the dragon as dragon blaster skeletor. Howl-lor is calm and calculating and deadly.

Chris
    Last edited by chrisbryan; February 12, 2008 at 10:22am.

I have to find a name and a bio.
    Design and arworks completed.
    Count me in.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbryan View Post
    Here is a quick sketch of a character I came up with. His name is Howl-lor. He was taken by Skeletor from his home in the vine jungle. skeletor bound him in the same chains that he used to control and bind the dragon as dragon blaster skeletor. Howl-lor is calm and calculating and deadly.

Chris

looking good chris

Here is my first submission for the challenge:

Awesome character man!!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Warrior
    I had one more question. Would Rio Blaster's "era" be considerd "Classic" in this contest, or is that around the end of the actual "classic" figures?

I had one more question. Would Rio Blaster's "era" be considerd "Classic" in this contest, or is that around the end of the actual "classic" figures?
    yes, anything from the 80s would be considered classic...that would include the unproduced POG stuff as well, but for this contest we would like to stick to "classic" time Evil Warriors NOT Preternia(unless maybe they time travelled to the "modern/classic" era)...

so, ANY toys/concepts from the 80s are good...NA and 200X, no good...

Quote Originally Posted by Innershade View Post
    Here is my first submission for the challenge:
    snazzy boots. nice job over all