View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage Sorceress figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

0 0%
  • 2 points

2 2.50%
  • 3 points

3 3.75%
  • 4 points

3 3.75%
  • 5 points

6 7.50%
  • 6 points

8 10.00%
  • 7 points

12 15.00%
  • 8 points

17 21.25%
  • 9 points

11 13.75%
  • 10 points

18 22.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (The) Sorceress vintage figure review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

(The) Sorceress vintage figure review thread

After a bit of a slow week with the Horde Trooper a fortnight ago, things were back on form last week with the review of King Hiss.

Anyway, this week is looking at a sought after figure, a surprise release for the final wave - it is, of course... THE SORCERESS.

The Sorceress, sometimes referred to as the Goddess, was present ever since the very first mini-comic, 'He-Man and the Power Sword'. In early apperances, she wore Teela's cobra armor (and sometimes had olive skin), causing mass confusion with fans. Though it was never really clearly explained, the Teela figure was designed to double as both characters, with it without the armor being Teela, and as the Sorceress/Goddess when wearing the cobra armor. The rare "The Tale Of Teela!" suggested that Teela was a clone of the Goddess created by Skeletor, although this just confused things even more, and was not really used much beyond that comic.

(BTW, some speculate that the 'Goddess' name was dropped in favor of the original 'Sorceress' so as not to offend religious groups, although this has never been officially confirmed.)

Then when the Filmation series came along, they gave her a more distinctive look, with overtones of a bird, tying in with her ability to transform into Zoar the falcon (after Zoar, a male, was seen to be a separate being in the early comics).
    Then, in the final wave of the toy-line, she was suddenly given a surprise figure release, along with King Randor. The figure is almost identical to the Filmation version of her, and is one of the few notable exceptions (the others being Orko and Randor), where the Filmation series influenced the toy-line instead of the reverse.

The figure's action feature was her wings, which were spring-loaded to burst out. She also had ball-jointed shoulders, allowing her to be posed with her arms open with her wings, adding to the play value. The figure came with "the Staff of Zoar".

The figure is one of the few that I currently have MOC (I more collect mint loose - I love to play with them and pose them! ). She is currently hung over my bed (to watch over me when I sleep!!). (Oh, in case you're wondering, it's well out of direct sunlight - I didn't want the bubble to yellow or the card to fade). I also last year picked up a lose example, missing the staff but otherwise mint. I now could do with one more mint to complete my collection of having two lose mint example of each figure.

She was a regular in the Filmation cartoon series early on, although her appearances became sparser later on, as the series branched out to feature different locations and different villains. Although I didn't consciously realise it as a kid (being a Brit myself), she actually does speak with a well-spoken English accent. In fact, her voice always reminded me of Lady Penelope in 'Thunderbirds'.

In the Filmation version, it was generally presented that few knew that she was able to transform into Zoar, although this was never made overly clear to the more casual viewer, and in several episodes this is contradicted in several episodes, where she transforms in front of not only other people, but Evil Warriors at that. There was also another running confusion where, on some instances, she was said to only be able to leave Castle Grayskull in Zoar form; again, this was directly contradicted in other episodes.

In the Movie, they made the Sorceress seem older, but not too old (although, captured by Skeletor, she aged more and more throughout the film as he drained her power), but she still worked. She was dressed in all white, with more of a crystal influence on her costume.

I have to say it... I HATED what they did with the character in the 200x version. Okay, I can live with maybe tweaking and re-working concepts of characters for a new audience, but they just went completely the wrong route with the 200x Sorceress! She was a horrible mish-mash of concepts, being mostly of seeming Egyptian influence, which was horribly out of sync with Castle Grayskull and the rest of the series. And even beyond that, she just didn't seem as powerful, as wise... she just didn't work at all. I'd go as far as to say that she was one of the biggest duds of the whole 200x version. In particular, her wise, all-knowing, reassuring presence in the Filmation series was something that was sorely lacking in the MYP version.

There wasn't a figure version of the 200x version Sorceress, only a later released staction figure.

Anyway, for the original figure... I think its rareness adds to its majestical feel, so I'm not quite sure how to rate it. If nothing else, it was a much needed addition female character to the line (Teela and Evil-Lyn being the only other entries). I think I give the Sorceress 8 out of 10.

So there are my ramblings on all things Sorceress.
    I'd like to hear your own thoughts, comments, criticisms, suggestions, memories... anything Sorceress related.
    And whether you post your comments or not, don't forget to rate the vintage figure in the poll.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

she rule in the classic, but was alwayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys weak ,

but i still dig her

the new toon, she ticked me off wayyyyyyyyyy to much and wanted her at times gone and was glad to see her butt whipped big time by skeletor and king hiss..

maybe when u get your ass whopped in general, maybe that will get you more powerful and not afraid of squat in the future, but that still didn't work for her as much
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

I love the old Filmation Sorceress.
    LOVE her design, love the colors, love the character!

However... I HATE the figure.
    IMO. It's a sad FLOP of a figure.

Lame legs, lame weak arms, even with the ball joints there.
    What should've been a cool action feature with the wings, is just too weak.

And then there's the head dress and face...

WHAT WAS MATTEL THINKING RELEASING THAT THING?!
    Seriously, if I EVER do a custom for the classic line it WILL be a new Sorceress.

But what Mattel released... Looks NOTHING like her Filmation Toon counterpart. Instead of a falcon head dress we get some DEAD looking PIGEON thing!!! What the heck is that supposed to be?!

As to the new Sorceress? Love her! Design, Staction and all! Despite apparent popular belief here so far.
    Last edited by Baena; March 30, 2007 at 05:50pm.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    shes a good figure and a great likeness to the toon. dont have any real complaints with her at all she was one of the last figures i got as a kid randor being the last.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I love the old Filmation Sorceress.
    LOVE her design, love the colors, love the character!

However... I HATE the figure.
    IMO. It's a sad FLOP of a figure.

Lame legs, lame weak arms, even with the ball joints there.
    What should've been a cool action feature with the wings, is just too weak.

And then there's the head dress and face...

WHAT WAS MATTEL THINKING RELEASING THAT THING?!
    Seriously, if I EVER do a custom for the classic line it WILL be a new Sorceress.

But what Mattel released... Looks NOTHING like her Filmation Toon counterpart. Instead of a falcon head dress we get some DEAD looking PIGEON thing!!! What the heck is that supposed to be?!
    Ha, actually I think I agree, the head section wasn't great. But I actually don't mind the figure; she's looks quite slim and not very bulky, but that's not what the Sorceress is about; she's more the wise guardian who watches over things. I don't think there's as much play in her, but in terms of representing the character, I don't think it's too bad.

As to the new Sorceress? Love her! Design, Staction and all! Despite apparent popular belief here so far.
    Well, *somebody* had to like her, I guess!! I can understand that the wanted to rework and update the character, but it was just too unfocused, and didn't fit in with the surroundings.

Anyway, I think I'm going to knock back my original rating from 8 to 7. It's good, in terms of the character, but not a classic of the line and not the best play wise. Lucky I helf off voting in the poll 'till I'd made up my mind!!
    Last edited by Spacedust; March 30, 2007 at 07:10pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

i hate the new sorceress. i hate everything about the whole update.

Heroic Warrior
    IN complete agreement with Baena on this one. As for the update, I just wish they would have kept her "old and wise" instead of turning her into a runway model.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior View Post
    i hate the new sorceress. i hate everything about the whole update.
    So you're saying you don't like her, then?
    ~jay firestorm~

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    So you're saying you don't like her, then?

Evil Henchman of Hordak Louis649's Avatar
    The Sorceress action figure is an awesome likeness to her Filmation self unlike Prince Adam(which I won complete and mint in a Ebay auction) and King Randor(he looks awfully similar to the king of Burger King). I would like to buy it someday to display it in my Grayskull playset but it's too expensive(over $30 bucks).
    I'm Skeletor, master of evil! All of you should show respect for the awful one.

I am Grizzlor #1 fan!

Quote Originally Posted by Louis649 View Post
    The Sorceress action figure is an awesome likeness to her Filmation self unlike Prince Adam(which I won complete and mint in a Ebay auction) and King Randor(he looks awfully similar to the king of Burger King). I would like to buy it someday to display it in my Grayskull playset but it's too expensive(over $30 bucks).
    Adam is pretty dead on resembling his Filmation look. The both have overly muscley bodies where the same basic model was used for both him and He-Man to cut costs. I always wondered, if Adam was so muscley, why did he need to become He-Man?!
    ~jay firestorm~

Personally, I like the classic Sorceress. Although, I never had her as a kid. I have fond memories of KB $2.00 clearance prices on that last series. It was a cool surprise release to have her in that final assortment. Even if she wasn't 100% toon accurate-I feel they did a decent job of capturing her overall likeness. After all, it's not as though our beloved MOTU is not without it's fair share of discrepancies. In my opinion, she's far from the weakest likeness in the classic line. However, I do wonder just how rare she truly is. It seems like anyone actively pursuing one, can get it. Though, I suppose in terms of production numbers-there would be considerably less figures made of her than Teela and Evil Lynn. Dunno for sure, but overall I would say she is a solid figure and for me one of the highlights from the later releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Creasy Bear View Post
    Personally, I like the classic Sorceress. Although, I never had her as a kid. I have fond memories of KB $2.00 clearance prices on that last series. It was a cool surprise release to have her in that final assortment. Even if she wasn't 100% toon accurate-I feel they did a decent job of capturing her overall likeness. After all, it's not as though our beloved MOTU is not without it's fair share of discrepancies. In my opinion, she's far from the weakest likeness in the classic line. However, I do wonder just how rare she truly is. It seems like anyone actively pursuing one, can get it. Though, I suppose in terms of production numbers-there would be considerably less figures made of her than Teela and Evil Lynn. Dunno for sure, but overall I would say she is a solid figure and for me one of the highlights from the later releases.
    The figure is not rare as impossible to find, but goes for much higher price as, seemingly, far fewer were made, probably being from the tail end of the line when sales were starting to dip.
    ~jay firestorm~

I loved the Classic Sorceress and I loved the newer version, too. I can like both, right? : )
    Meow,
    Princess Selina Desire

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Princess View Post
    I loved the Classic Sorceress and I loved the newer version, too. I can like both, right? : )
    Yes you can, if you're some totally messed up weirdo! (I'm joking! I'm joking! )
    ~jay firestorm~

Don't listen to him Wonder Princess... I like both just fine (exception being the classic figure)

And there are plenty others who love the new Sorceress as much or more than the classic Sorceress. You're just not likely to find them in these classic threads.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

I still remember, vividly when I saw the sorceress figure hanging on the wall of that tiny shop in the 1,000 islands. I begged my grandmother to get it...but NO. It was not to be.....

I like the classic sorceress for who she was in the show, but now that I have her old figure its not so grand as it was when I was a kid.

I also like the new sorceress with the new tude
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

i always like the old sorceress figure....until recently..
    i just got the staff for this bird-girl, and guess what the ***** thing did not fit in her hand, the ball in the end of it is just to darn big to go though the hand.. but i did only notice that when the staff was in her hand that the the thumb "broke free" from the other fingers....
    so in conclusion, the figure is fin, i like her...
    but what the hell where they thinking with that staff.....lets make one that doesn't fit....?
    Good trades with: evil-orko, xclaw, imothep, HTFToys, Igorr, galaxy warrior, peter, LeelooMinai, sonofblaine , sathomaso, Linkku, D-man, SKY, TED675, Facelessone

Don't listen to him Wonder Princess... I like both just fine (exception being the classic figure)

And there are plenty others who love the new Sorceress as much or more than the classic Sorceress. You're just not likely to find them in these classic threads.
    Very true, it is slightly classic-biased here.
    But I really like most of the 200x stuff. If I was asked to pick one thing that didn't work for me, it would be the horrible mish-mash that was the Sorceress. (Though Teela would come a close second).
    ~jay firestorm~

Well to be fair... I love most everything about the two lines, classic and new.
    Each line has it's sad stories and things I'd have wished to seen done differently.

So with that, for the new line there are a number of things I could do without or change all together...

(I preface this with this... To the FourHorsemen... I LOVE your work, you know I do! But...)

- MAA's shoulder pauldron... WHAT THE?! What purpose does it serve to be that FREAKISHLY big?! Other than to act as an umbrella in a rainstorm?

- Weapons in general are a tad too HUGE. Seriously, I know they're toys, but honestly... HONESTLY! But now with the advent of the 7th Kingdom figures... I see this is more a personal choice of the FourHorsemen, as there are some design sketches for characters there that are seriously too big and cumbersome to be used in any realistic manor.

- He-Man. Easily my biggest disappointment for the new line. Many of the things I don't like about that fig would be Mattel's fault. His face, his hair, his tiny hands.

- Battlecat's armor. Again, I'll chalk this up as a Mattel boo boo as I think I remember reading that the FourHorsemen intended something closer to the classic design, and Mattel wanted the techy mush we got.

But still seriously one of my favorite redesigns of the new line? The Sorceress!
    Ironically enough as she is probably one of the most distanced or removed from her classic counterpart. Somehow her new design really sings to me. Brilliant. As to her look not matching Grayskull? I can see where you're coming from there, but I like to think of it as two ancient cultures merged in the fortress of mystery. That of Veena's culture, and King Grayskull's. LOVE it!
    Last edited by Baena; April 2, 2007 at 12:47pm.

I actually love the re-design of the sorceress as well. Once I saw it, I thought the old design was kind of lame.

She seems more powerful in her new uniform. Why I have no idea...she just does
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan182 View Post
    I actually love the re-design of the sorceress as well. Once I saw it, I thought the old design was kind of lame.
    I agree that the old design seemed a bit defunct and needed re-designing... I just hate the route they went with the new version (oops, repeating myself here aren't I! )

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    She seems more powerful in her new uniform. Why I have no idea...she just does
    I disagree. The new version just came across (to me) as some kind of Castle inhabiting sprite, with a few middling powers and abilities. She just didn't seem as powerful as she should have been, to me.
    ~jay firestorm~

I like the old and the new was just okay. I hated how they made her seemingly cold and uncaring.
    Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

"If I were a vegetable I'd be a radish because I'm only kind of rad."

Heroic Warrior
    I give this figure 6/10. I didnīt like the character very much because if she was guardian of Castle Grasykull she couldnīt be so weak.
    The figure is very very similar to the cartoon, I consider that very positive.
    In all it is a thin and weak character. The cartoon version has lively colours, but I think when they created the toy they forgot to add some paint or something. She is dead pale and her suit too.
    In all 6/10.