View Poll Results: Which version of King Hsss do you prefer?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classic Design.

45 30.82%
  • New Design.

101 69.18%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: King Hsss Poll.

Evil Snake General General_Rattlor's Avatar
    I don't know. You compare a modern cartoon version of king hiss with an old version of him that was never seen in the Filmation cartoon. I like the new design of Hiss and I think MYP did some great work with the Snake Men designs. Maybe there are 1 or 2 points that could have been done better in the stories of the new cartoons, but at least they DID something. The only cool Snake Men stories of the 80s were told only in the classic mini comics, but Rattlor and Tung Lashor were just two funnie horde losers in the classic She-Ra Cartoon and King Hiss or the Snake Men backstory wasn't even a part of all the Filmation work.
    Giving Hiss a "snake character" in the 80s was a nice idea. He looks nice and seems to be friendly, but you never can trust him. But how often can you surprise an enemy with the exposure of Hiss "real face"? Thats an one-time effect and then you know what this real face is and his real character.
    So I think the 200x King Hiss was the better choice. He was evil and he was powerful. He never became an slave of hordak or Skeletor - he had his own plans to take over the power.

Quote Originally Posted by General_Rattlor View Post
    Giving Hiss a "snake character" in the 80s was a nice idea. He looks nice and seems to be friendly, but you never can trust him. But how often can you surprise an enemy with the exposure of Hiss "real face"? Thats an one-time effect and then you know what this real face is and his real character.

Everybody keeps bringing this up, that it's a one-time suprise ability because that's how it was used on the back of the toy box. I don't even look at it that way. I still believe he would have been much creepier if his human form were a handsome, charismatic man. Maybe a little sauve or alluring in the way he would talk to people. it would be that charisma that I think would have made him a much more effective villain.

You know he's a venomous snake underneath it all, but his kind voice and subtle mannerisms and just...sheer charisma as I've said, makes you feel more at ease than you know you shouldn't be. That way, when he does snap it's more terrifying because those good looks and strong voice are suddenly cold and vile and incredibly deadly. It's that seduction by his outward appearances that really could have set him apart from all the other master villains in the MOTU universe, and that's how I always imagined him since I first got his toy.

Look at it this way, his charms when talking to simple village people could convince a town that he's a good guy, their hero who will protect them and look out for their best interests. Then when you find out that his snakemen ravaged said town when they've let their guard down for him, it becomes so chilling. Sure the real heroes know what lies underneath, but his ability to manipulate others would have added a lot to his otherwise standard, "I'm a bad guy with red eyes, rasping and hissing, trying to take over the world and threatening my underlings if they fail me."

I can't see how this characterization of him wouldn't have completely set him apart from the likes of Skeletor and Hordak.

I do need to add that I voted for the MYP version. As much as I felt they missed the mark on his human form, they got his deadliness and his snake form absolutely spot-on perfect. The fact that he was seen actually devouring people alive added immensely to his threat-level, and I found this aspect of him, his snake side, to be as scary as it should have been. I liked his human side in the old mini-comics, but I found his snake form to be..somewhat comedic almost.

There's nothing funny at all about the new Hiss' snake form.
    Last edited by Galmorzu; April 20, 2007 at 11:05am.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Evil Snake General General_Rattlor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by galmorzu View Post
    ......and that's how I always imagined him since I first got his toy.
    You know, thats the problem that I see. You compare Hiss as he IS in the new cartoon to Hiss how he COULD HAVE BEEN in the classic cartoon. I think that simply isn't fair because your own fantasy influences the picture you have from the 80s Hiss.
    But I understand what you mean and I share you opinion. And I'm with you that king hiss would have been much cooler in the new cartoon with a little bit more personality.

Skeletor was a evil badguy with a dark voice and powerful magic forces.
    King Hiss was a badguy with a much darker voice and more powerful magic forces.
    And Hordak was a badguy with an even darker voice and even more powerful magic forces.

There simply seems not to be a big difference between those 3 bad guys. Hordak was a technologic freak and a kind of Cyborg-guy in the classic cartoon. He believed in his military forces and in technology and he didn't believe in the power of magic. Totally different in the new cartoon, where he was a powerful magican, such as Skeletor and Hiss too. It would have been much cooler if Hiss and Hordak would have been much different from skeletor.
    Last edited by General_Rattlor; April 20, 2007 at 11:23am.

You know, thats the problem that I see. You compare Hiss as he IS in the new cartoon to Hiss how he COULD HAVE BEEN in the classic cartoon. I think that simply isn't fair because your own fantasy influences the picture you have from the 80s Hiss.
    It's not really the typical case of nostalgia overriding my sense of design judgement, though. I kind of had this idea when I was young, but when the new line started to get underway and we saw Hiss, I found him to be a little on the bland side as far as villains go. I thought back to what I talked about in my previous post and felt that representation would have made him much more interesting.

As for the MYP/200X line in general, there are tons of instances where I MUCH prefered what changes were made over what existed in the Filmation show or toyline. Almost everything, actually.

King Hiss just happens to be a case that I think could have come across as a lot better than he did. And even then, I only have a problem with half of him. His snake form is as deadly and creepy as I always hoped it could be, and his magic is really impressive and different from the likes of Skeletor and Hordak (those green snake blasts are soooo cool). Again, I just think they dropped the ball on his human form.

Skeletor was a evil badguy with a dark voice and powerful magic forces.
    King Hiss was a badguy with a much darker voice and more powerful magic forces.
    And Hordak was a badguy with an even darker voice and even more powerful magic forces.
    LOL! Oh man, that was great. It's not often a post actually gets me to laugh out loud like that. Good job.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.

Now see I really like the MYP Human form of Hsss as it gave it a sense of time. Very Eygptian stylings. The original Hiss toy didn't have that so much. However it did have the whole heroic look which worked.

MYP's Hsss seems to work well with their Sorceress too, as she seems to have the same influences.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

A big fan of Slush Head
    To be honest I still don't get why the new Hsss is winning this poll. I know it is placed on the New He-Man forum but even so, I find hard to beleive that people actually prefer this design over the classic.

What is it about the classic that people don't like? The new one has an ugly head, ugly snakes in the inside. He has flip flops. The staff is pretty weak.
    Doesn't even look like part of the 200x toyline.

The new one's more exotic looking and has a more complex design.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    He has flip flops.
    No, they're not "flip-flops". They're Egyptian sandals.

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    Now see I really like the MYP Human form of Hsss as it gave it a sense of time. Very Eygptian stylings. The original Hiss toy didn't have that so much. However it did have the whole heroic look which worked.

MYP's Hsss seems to work well with their Sorceress too, as she seems to have the same influences.
    Good point, that's yet another thing that I really like about the new Hiss over the original. That Egyptian theme, his entire wardrobe in general actually, is a lot more interesting than the original. I really dig it. i think the black/dark green around the eyes could have worked in the new line, though. I never saw it as a zorro-type band or anything, but as a dark face paint around and across the eyes.

Other than that, I really dig the Egyptian motif the 200X Hiss has. It just feels so right with the snake theme.

Jeeze, I guess the actual appearance of his human body, and not even his outfit, is the only thing that bugs me about the new Hiss. Everything else is pretty cool, IMHO. I love his snake form, although even that can be improved slightly (Emiliano's Hiss comic cover with him, where it's something of an amalgam of both the classic and MYP snake form, is PERFECTION).

I think if the 4HM can get this guy retooled ASAP, maybe in the following wave or the one after, the hidious toy can be forgotten and we'll finally get a King Hiss that combines the best of both worlds into a figure that's worthy of the character.
    and keep moving forward.

I really honestly like both...for different reasons.
    Classic has better "action features in my opinion...a full on snake body.
    I don't like how the skin just flips up on the 200x version, but the sculpt is obviously WAY cooler.
    there ya go.
    AWESOME TRADERS:
    Sammy Banderas/jcb1973/Troy-Klops/Mystical musician/Daviono1089

MY .ORG FEEDBACK

MY EBAY FEEDBACK

"I Do hope you don't bruise easily He-Man!"
    ~Stevetor~

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Evil View Post
    No, they're not "flip-flops". They're Egyptian sandals.
    I know!! I said that on purpose to make fun of the fig.

I haven't opened my new one yet but I like the look of it better, more evil then the original. The old one is cool and fits with the line but he looked too much like a good guy.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwulf View Post
    but he looked too much like a good guy.
    That was the idea!

Great Mike, the mentionof flipflops and Inow have a Beach Holiday varient of Hss going around me head.

I liked the cartoon Hss, but not the toy. SO very disappointed, but I know the 4h will triumph, though if they are adding a cape, I'm intrigued to as how he will look.

One thing about classic Hss. Were the green parts under his eyes makeup? Ialways assumed it was a cowl, much like Batmans.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    Great Mike, the mentionof flipflops and Inow have a Beach Holiday varient of Hss going around me head.

The classic mini-comic version...
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

I can go either way with King Hsss's appearance.

CoOkIe KiNgPiN
    I don't really see all too much of a differnce between the new and the old other than the old has a bit more "happy go lucky" feel to it but really how long could they play that I'm only pretending to be a nice guy bit for?.. I thought it looked very freaky in the toon when he switched to snake form he basicly swallowed up his human form
    Need transformers[Crystal convoy,otfcc tigertron[others],X9ravage (open to any)! Ghostbusters firehouse misb, escaflowne figure, usagia yojimbo comics, tmnt comics, ghost busters comics

The Walking Dead #1-5[comics]

Heroic Warrior
    I love the idea of the original King Hsss because his fake body would only trick people once! It's hilarious.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by Doompuppet View Post
    I love the idea of the original King Hsss because his fake body would only trick people once! It's hilarious.
    But if he bites you, you will die so it does the work nicely.
    Unless you are lucky enough to escape before he gets you.

CoOkIe KiNgPiN
    Quote Originally Posted by Doompuppet View Post

I Think they would have done more with that if the toon was going to last long but I think they knew it wasn't going to last and tryed to get as much in as posable really Watching some of the 2k toon again its some pretty sweet stuff too. I wish we coulda have got another season or two and seen more of hordak that episdoe with king grayskull was one of the best just because of him & his troops & such!

I wonder what the rules are on getting cartoon staticons will we ever see aKGS figure?..
    Need transformers[Crystal convoy,otfcc tigertron[others],X9ravage (open to any)! Ghostbusters firehouse misb, escaflowne figure, usagia yojimbo comics, tmnt comics, ghost busters comics

The Walking Dead #1-5[comics]

Evil Henchman of Hordak Louis649's Avatar
    King Hiss classic look is the best. The new look enhance his villain edge but his classic look makes him look more dangerous because of the good guy human looks.
    I'm Skeletor, master of evil! All of you should show respect for the awful one.

I am Grizzlor #1 fan!

I think a combination of the original design and the new version would be good. The outfit that the new version wears looks good. The only thing that looks off is his face. I would like to see a more masculine face with mask like the original had.

I recently made a custom of King Hiss, where I simply changed his face to make him look more like an evolution of the original design. I would be so much happier if they went this route :

Last edited by Captain Atkin; June 9, 2007 at 01:49pm.

Really is Skeletor
    That is a beautiful King Hiss... what's the origin of that sword?
    Tyler J Maciolek

Quote Originally Posted by tylerm23 View Post
    That is a beautiful King Hiss... what's the origin of that sword?

The sword came as an accessory with the large snake toy from the Harry Potter toy line. The handle is made in such a way that it wraps around his fingers perfectly. If I didn't know any better, I would swear it was made for him.

Really is Skeletor
    Hmm, I have that Snake but my sword looks a little different:

Image Link

Still, great work!
    Last edited by tylerm23; June 3, 2007 at 01:33pm.
    Tyler J Maciolek