View Poll Results: Would you/do you only buy AFA MOC's?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 25.86%
  • No

    43 74.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: Do you buy AFA MOC Figures?

  1. #1
    By the power of Grayskull kbob25's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    57

    Do you buy AFA MOC Figures?

    With all the talk of the pro's and con's of buying AFA MOC's...would you/do you buy only AFA?

  2. #2
    The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    4,621
    No, I open the package of my figures.

  3. #3
    The Pale Emperor dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    3,033
    Absolutely!! I have a loose set for display purposes, but my MOC collection is all AFA graded.

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Skeletortilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ashtabula, OH
    Posts
    1,532
    No way...AFA is EVIL and CRUEL!!!

    They take a poor defenseless toy already imprisoned and put it in a maximum security acrylic block for ETERNITY with no possibility of parole. Ever.

    It's like the Phantom Zone, only worse.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior vadersfist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,784
    No I don't bother with AFA because to me they are a waste of money and time to send them. I want to grade my OWN figures and I DON'T need some idiot at afa telling me its only worth this much. I deal in other lines and AFA to me I think suck. Hope I dont offend anyone that does like AFA.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior leo_skeletor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Caprica
    Posts
    730
    No.

    I only have one motu item into AFA acrilic case graded 80 (WB or savage he-man). And I only have this one in this condition because I like to see it into the hard acrilic case, not for the grade.

    I have hard acrilic cases for my moc figures of course, but not graded by AFA.

    AFA is not authority of nothing, just my opinion.
    My collection: http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff142/leo_skeletor/

    EL HEAVY NO ES VIOLENCIA

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior okydoky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,046
    I used to grade my MOC's, but never purchased AFA MOC's.

    And I won't send them to AFA anymore....extremely dissapointed with them (cost and inconsistent grading)...
    "I must possess all, or I possess nothing" - Skeletor in Masters of the Universe (1987)

    My pictures and albums

    Feedback #1
    Feedback #2
    Feedback #3

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    212
    As I use to be MOMC star wars collector I would buy graded items only if they were graded 90.... a couple of times people neglected to mention the cases had cracks in them so i had to send them to get recased.

    For collecting the new MOTU classics I have no interest in getting these figures graded at all.. I did just place an order for a custom case to be sent to me though for my king grayskull as dont really want the box damaged and i might order some acrylic cases in the future to put the rest of the figures in but thats about it

  9. #9
    Heroic Scientist sircory-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,414
    It seems this thread is already slightly off topic. The question was do you buy ONLY AFA graded figures and this has turned into: how do you feel about AFA?

    I'll try to answer both questions:

    1. No, I do not buy only AFA graded figures, but I have sent many for grading and have bought a handful of graded figures from other sellers.

    2. I think AFA serves a potentially important purpose, especially with toy lines that are vintage and collector's items.

  10. #10
    Master of Good Hair Eamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Irish but live in UK
    Posts
    16,274
    AFA is big bunch of arse if you ask me.

    Paying some company to see what condition your action figures are in? Because it's something you are obviously incapable of doing yourself.
    AFA seem to artificially hike up prices too.

    I will say this though, getting paid to look at action figures all day would be a sweet gig to some folks. I sometime can't believe that such a job exists!!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior leo_skeletor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Caprica
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    AFA is big bunch of arse if you ask me.

    Paying some company to see what condition your action figures are in? Because it's something you are obviously incapable of doing yourself.
    AFA seem to artificially hike up prices too.

    I will say this though, getting paid to look at action figures all day would be a sweet gig to some folks. I sometime can't believe that such a job exists!!
    Totally agree. I cant say it better myself... perhaps because my english is not well at all


    pd: Im Master of Good Hair 2 , hahahahahahah!!!
    My collection: http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff142/leo_skeletor/

    EL HEAVY NO ES VIOLENCIA

  12. #12
    Heroic Scientist sircory-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    AFA is big bunch of arse if you ask me.

    Paying some company to see what condition your action figures are in? Because it's something you are obviously incapable of doing yourself.
    AFA seem to artificially hike up prices too.

    I will say this though, getting paid to look at action figures all day would be a sweet gig to some folks. I sometime can't believe that such a job exists!!
    So how do you feel about real estate and insurance appraisers or stock market speculators? They do the same thing. It is perfectly legit and people accept whatever their educated guess is (just an opinion) and markets and peoples lives are forever changed because of it. These people artificially hike up prices every day.

    Conceptually, it might be hard to get over the fact that you are paying someone "to tell me how great my toys look", but it is a good service. They encase your toys, give them a grade (however objective it is) and are always learning to validate authenticity.

  13. #13
    Master of Good Hair Eamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Irish but live in UK
    Posts
    16,274
    Quote Originally Posted by leo_skeletor View Post
    Totally agree. I cant say it better myself... perhaps because my english is not well at all
    pd: Im Master of Good Hair 2 , hahahahahahah!!!
    Long hair makes a man sensible!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sircory-1 View Post
    So how do you feel about real estate and insurance appraisers or stock market speculators? They do the same thing. It is perfectly legit and people accept whatever their educated guess is (just an opinion) and markets and peoples lives are forever changed because of it. These people artificially hike up prices every day.

    Conceptually, it might be hard to get over the fact that you are paying someone "to tell me how great my toys look", but it is a good service. They encase your toys, give them a grade (however objective it is) and are always learning to validate authenticity.
    A) These are toys. Toys manufactured for a few cents each.
    B) Real estate and insurance appraisers or stock market speculators aren't exactly doing the world any favours right now are they?

    Not the best argument there in fairness dude!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

  14. #14
    Heroic Scientist sircory-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Long hair makes a man sensible!!


    A) These are toys. Toys manufactured for a few cents each.
    B) Real estate and insurance appraisers or stock market speculators aren't exactly doing the world any favours right now are they?

    Not the best argument there in fairness dude!
    Toys are manufactured for a few cents each and by scale, everything else is manufactured, produced or extracted (like oil) for pennies on the dollar and then marked up for market prices.

    Since when have appraisers and speculators EVER done the world a favor?

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior okydoky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I will say this though, getting paid to look at action figures all day would be a sweet gig to some folks. I sometime can't believe that such a job exists!!
    Do you think the graders at AFA are passionate collectors like us? I don't think so. I'm pretty sure they are minimum waged people that don't understand why others spend money to grade toys. If not, they would be fair and consistent with their grading.
    "I must possess all, or I possess nothing" - Skeletor in Masters of the Universe (1987)

    My pictures and albums

    Feedback #1
    Feedback #2
    Feedback #3

  16. #16
    Master of Good Hair Eamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Irish but live in UK
    Posts
    16,274
    Quote Originally Posted by sircory-1 View Post
    Toys are manufactured for a few cents each and by scale, everything else is manufactured, produced or extracted (like oil) for pennies on the dollar and then marked up for market prices.

    Since when have appraisers and speculators EVER done the world a favor?

    The world need oil (sadly). We don't need figures.

    I was being sarcastic about appraisers and speculators.
    They are part of the reason the world is in a mess right now.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior okydoky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,046
    Quote Originally Posted by leo_skeletor View Post
    pd: Im Master of Good Hair 2 , hahahahahahah!!!
    I think it's a tie...
    "I must possess all, or I possess nothing" - Skeletor in Masters of the Universe (1987)

    My pictures and albums

    Feedback #1
    Feedback #2
    Feedback #3

  18. #18
    Heroic Scientist sircory-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    The world need oil (sadly). We don't need figures.

    I was being sarcastic about appraisers and speculators.
    They are part of the reason the world is in a mess right now.
    I know you were being sarcastic. It's cool.

    I definitely agree with you though, they are part of the reason why we are in such a mess!

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior Warpigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Waverly Hill's Sanatorium
    Posts
    645
    I totally agree. AFA is one big croc of crap
    Warpigs Feedback Thread Selling/Buying/Trading
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=173127

    \m/(^_^)\m/

  20. #20
    The Pale Emperor dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    3,033
    Quote Originally Posted by okydoky View Post
    If not, they would be fair and consistent with their grading.
    They are fair and consistent. This is a statement coming from someone who's had well over 2,000 figures graded by AFA. Just curious, how many figures have you had AFA graded? Enough to have an opinion that they aren't fair or consistent?

    This is from a post I made in another forum:

    I understand all the haters who don't like or understand AFA. Most people have a hard time paying $20 for these MOTUC figures as is, and when they see an AFA figure selling for $100 or more, they think it's crazy. I can understand that but at the same time, I enjoy having my MOC collection in the best possible condition. I also like having piece of mind knowing that my figures are not sitting there collecting dust and will never deteriorate in condition. That to me is well worth the extra cost.

    If AFA isn't you're style for whatever reason, be it price or not wanting an acrylic case sealed over you're figure then that's totally fine. However, don't bash them unless you yourself have actual facts to speak of.

    Long live AFA and MOTUC!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Warpigs View Post
    I totally agree. AFA is one big croc of crap
    It's funny hearing you say that. Especially when you yourself have praised AFA in earlier posts you've made. Why the change of mind?
    Last edited by dedset13; August 11, 2009 at 04:12pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Warpigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Waverly Hill's Sanatorium
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post



    It's funny hearing you say that. Especially when you yourself have praised AFA in earlier posts you've made. Why the change of mind?

    LOL .........Okay, you caught me. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to catch me.
    Last edited by Warpigs; August 11, 2009 at 04:33pm.
    Warpigs Feedback Thread Selling/Buying/Trading
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=173127

    \m/(^_^)\m/

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior okydoky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpigs View Post
    LOL .........Okay, you caught me. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to catch me.
    WARPIGS = AFA GOD....simple as that...

    @deadset13: Yes, I have graded a whole bunch of my MOC's and that's were my dissapointment started. I've had crisp cards with beautiful bubbles only to be graded 75, yet you see on ebay cards with creases graded 85. Additionally, they tend to make horrible mistakes, take a look at this thread:http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=174830. And, if you get an MOC graded, take it out of the case, and re-send it for grading, I'll bet you that it won't be graded the same. So, AFA = inconsistent....yeap.
    Last edited by okydoky; August 11, 2009 at 07:45pm.
    "I must possess all, or I possess nothing" - Skeletor in Masters of the Universe (1987)

    My pictures and albums

    Feedback #1
    Feedback #2
    Feedback #3

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior Warpigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Waverly Hill's Sanatorium
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by okydoky View Post
    WARPIGS = AFA GOD....simple as that...

    @deadset13: Yes, I have graded a whole bunch of my MOC's and that's were my dissapointment started. I've had crisp cards with beautiful bubbles only to be graded 75, yet you see on ebay cards with creases graded 85. Additionally, they tend to make horrible mistakes, take a look at this thread:http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=174830. And, if you get an MOC graded, take it out of the case, and re-send it for grading, I'll bet you that it won't be graded the same. So, AFA = inconsistent....yeap.
    I hate price tags and I usually avoid pieces with them, but sometime I do get one with a tag. Everytime I've busted it open and removed the price tag. I"ve done this about 10-15 times and everytime the piece has received the same grade. I don't only collect MOTU, but also Joes, Transformers, SW, Thundercats, Secret Wars, Super Powers, TMNT, and Battle Beasts. (In which I've sold most of off to help pay for some other stuff I've got going on)
    I'm not trying to start anything here, just stating my past experiences.
    To Each is his own
    Warpigs Feedback Thread Selling/Buying/Trading
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=173127

    \m/(^_^)\m/

  24. #24
    Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Front o' castle.
    Posts
    1,533
    I don't buy graded items unless the price is what I'm looking to pay for it regardless (well, plus 20 for the case cost, sure).

    I do have items graded myself, but loose stuff for the cases, and my MOCs go in cases as well, but sliding bottom cases.

    I absolutely trust in 99% of AFA grades. They are human, and they DO make mistakes, also people constantly try to slip stuff by them. Every item I've sent them I've sent them honestly, and they have come back exactly as expected. I have made one mistake (I'll never tell!) and they didn't notice either, but it's mine either way, wasn't planning on selling. You can get a report on exactly why your figure graded the way it was, and you will be surprised at all the points they look for, and maybe realize they look for all things collectors look for, not just the portion you may be looking for.

    That being said, I also feel some things are under rated and some things over rated. But that's just me ya know.

    The cases look amazing, but don't scratch them or you're screwed

    That's all I got.
    Last edited by Jawbridge; August 12, 2009 at 12:14am.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    212
    On a slightly different subject but to do with afa I got my custom case today for my king grayskull box and it fits a treat...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •