Thread: MGS5 Ground Zeroes! Who's playing it this week? *No Spoilers*

MGS5 Ground Zeroes! (MGS LOVE)*No Spoilers*

Hi All

I'm a big MGS fan. I won't really have time to really sink my teeth into it, but I just ordered MGS5. I have a lot of school stuff to do but I at least hope to veg out for a day or two. It is my spring break but I have some projects to work on. I never got to play Peacewalker so I haven't got to play as Big Boss since Snake Eater.

Last edited by Genyosha; March 17, 2014 at 07:38pm. Reason: clarification

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    I hope to pick it up tomorrow (along with a PS4 to play it on).

Aw man, I'd REALLY recommend playing Peace Walker before this as Ground Zeroes is pretty much an IMMEDIATE follow up. I didn't play Peace Walker until the Legacy collection, and I'm SO glad I finally got a chance to play it. It was a great game!

I ordered the PS3 version. I don't have a PS4 and I probably won't for some time

I have a version of PeaceWalker from the HD collection. I haven't touched it yet. Question! I wasn't a fan of the psp control scheme for it, did they correct for the console port at all?

I don't plan on marathon playing Ground Zeroes but I do want to play a few hours of it ( probably a lot of cut scenes lol). Once this semester is over maybe I'll take your advice and beat Peace Walker before really getting into Ground Zeroes.

I hate portable systems, so I never played it on the PSP. I do remember they had different controls schemes you could choose from though. I remember the control scheme I used seemed a little different at first (but I think all of them are actually a little different than the ones that were before them), but when I got used to it, it was ok. They one thing I remember not liking was that crouching/prone/rolling were on the same button and it seemed really finnicky about picking which one you actually did. I'm sure you can imagine that it's really not good to go prone instead of rolling or vice versa. Maybe that was just me though.

The way Peace Walker was set up, you could probably blow through the story fairly quick if you wanted to. It just had an obscene amount of extra stuff you could do.

Well, you've convinced me to at least story through Peace Walker before I get too deep into Ground Zeroes.

I am really really really hoping for the next incarnation of MGO. I admit MGO was prone to hackers, players rarely used the built in features and stages, players never used the expansion pack stages and games, but I loved the damn game.

(adding a screenshot I took before MGO's servers went down.)

Last edited by Genyosha; March 17, 2014 at 07:47pm. Reason: adding

I agree that Peace Walker is great. Very enjoyable storyline. I played the HD Collection version. One thing that took some getting used to, compared to the previous MGS games, was the lack of crawling ability. And yeah, come to think of it, I did find myself leaping forward and rolling quite often when I just wanted to crouch, haha. Not very stealthy. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had issues with that button.

I really want to be more enthusiastic about MGS 5 right now, but the whole lack of David Hayter thing has still got me down.
    I'll lead you into danger
    And all that troubles man
    I'll lead you far from hunger
    Just take my frozen hand

I can let go of David Hayter as far as Big Boss is concerned.

I would be angry if I had to see Solid Snake sans Hayter though. I really enjoyed Old Snake in Guns of the Patriots, I think he's my favorite incarnation of Solid Snake.
    ( about MGS4)

Considering the ending of MGS4, I think Kojima has a reason for finally dividing the voice actors for Snake and Big Boss.
    Last edited by Genyosha; March 17, 2014 at 09:25pm.

It certainly was never enough to keep me from being excited about MGS, but the voice acting thing is definitely a head scratcher to me.

EDIT: Was just reading early reviews and there is a speed run video showing how the game can be beaten in ten minutes.... DEFINITELY not buying a PS4 for that, kinda debating on whether I even want to pay $30 for it right now. I may just wait out a price drop.

Edit 2: So I did end up getting the game for PS3, but I certainly don't recommend that any other human should. Stumbling around cautiously, completely lost, and trying to figure out the controls for most of game, I still manage to finish in under 3 hours. Once you actually KNOW where the objectives are, you could probably do it rather reasonably in 30-60minutes (and I'm not even talking about speed running). There are hidden collectibles and side missions I haven't fully explored, but I can't imagine that redeeming it. It didn't even have ONE boss fight!
    Last edited by Sword2Blanket; March 19, 2014 at 03:11am.