Thread: The MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread (may contain spoilers)

Hybrid View

Evil Master of Warcraft

The MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread (may contain spoilers)

I dunno, figured I'd throw this out there see if anyone is interested in discussion the goings on in the world of mixed martial arts...

Did anyone watch UFC 70 tonight? I'm glad I'm not a betting man or I would have lost all my money on Cro Cop. I think that's the hardest kick to the head since Maurice Smith kicked Mark Coleman. Bisping looked really impressive also. I'm anxious to see how Matt Serra and Matt Hughes work out as coaches on the next season of the Ultimate Fighter. What are your thoughts?
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Holy smizokes! Cro-Cop got devastated. These upsets are getting crazy. I wonder how Gonzaga will fare against Couture. Pretty good would be my guess.

Bisping was impressive, but I really don't understand why Sinosec still gets UFC fights. The guy has a losing record.

Most everything else was boring. Is Arlovski afraid to engage people now, or what? He was so boring. And Cheick Kongo had better learn how to grapple or he's going nowhere fast. That takedown defense was horrible.

Good idea BTW on starting an MMA thread. Every time I ever try to discuss MMA it seems to be a lonely thread, and I've been thinking that one thread for all MMA discussion would be a good idea, so hopefully all the MMA fans willl find this thread, and remember to check it out every time something new happens in MMA.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I think boxing is on its way out. It is a dieing sport. MMA is on its way in. I'd say in the near future you may even see MMA on sportscenter.

It was also neat last night to see all of the references to Pride on UFC 70 since UFC now owns Pride. They also kept hyping up the upcoming Liddell/Jackson fight saying it was the only fight Liddell hasn't avenged, but correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Liddell also lose to Wanderlei Silva?
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Very sad about the Cro Cop fight. I myself would have lost everything if I was a betting man.

In all my years of following MMA etc. I would have never guessed Cro Cop losing to Gonzaga at all whether Cro Cop won by KO/Sub/Decision

I never thought Cro Cop would have lost that way. Very bad for his career but I hope he comes back stronger than ever. I do think he needs a rematch with Gonzaga because if he doesn't than he might as well retire. And I hope he KO's Gonzaga.

I knew right from the get go that something was not right because Cro Cop never became the hunter. He usually waits and counters then stalks within the first minute but was taken down and elbowed. This time he was just way too worried about the take-down and paid the ultimate price.

Side note: I hate elbows, all they do really is cause cuts and doctor stoppages instead of letting the fights well fight. If you got the guy on the ground, bash him with a punch or something. I know the elbows played the big finish in the KO for Cro Cop because you could see Cro Cop's eyes rolling by those elbows.

Like I said earlier, I hope Cro Cop comes back and destroys all in his path. Hopefully gets a shot at the title and finishes his career off with a dream match with Fedor. I know I know, that last part with Fedor won't come true but I can wish
    PO-LAR is Royalt1us 3rd Annual Character Contest Grand Champion

---------------------------------
    Favourite MMA Fighters

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic
    Kazushi Sakuraba
    Igor Vovchanchyn
    Fedor Emelianenko

First Matt Serra and now Gonzaga! I honestly thought Cro Cop was going to put Gonzaga in a body bag. Only because I remember watching Gonzaga fight in UFC 56. He looked out of shape and very slow. Granted he won the match but that was my impression of him going into this fight. But I must admit, he looked a lot better physically and obviously it showed with his KO.

Now going up against Couture...I still have to go with my man, Randy. And I agree with the earlier comment about "The Pit Bull" Arlovski...very disappointing fight. But at least he knew it and apologized afterwards.

p.s. I couldn't believe Matt Serra talking smack about Matt Hughes when they announced that those 2 would be the next coaches. I think he should get some wins defending his title before dissing Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    I think boxing is on its way out. It is a dieing sport.
    Seems likely.
    I'd say in the near future you may even see MMA on sportscenter.
    Dana White said it will be, but I haven't seen it yet, and I'm starting to learn that you have to take anything Dana White says with a grain of salt.

It should be on Sportscenter though. I mean, they still cover soccer, and who really gives a crap about soccer?

didn't Liddell also lose to Wanderlei Silva?
    No, they never fought. Chuck was in a light heavyweight tourney in Pride, but he lost to Jackson in the semi's, and Jackson advanced to face Wanderlei. That was the time Wanderlei knocked Jackson out with a knee to the face (Wanderlei beat QJ twice). Sherdog.com's Fight Finder is an awesome resource for seeing who's beat who. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ess7477 View Post
    I think (Matt Serra) should get some wins defending his title before dissing Hughes.
    He probably won't have any successful title defenses with Hughes being his first fight as champ. Of course, he was never supposed to be champ in the first place, so you never know, but I'm still going with Matt Hughes all the way on that one.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelostas View Post
    Side note: I hate elbows, all they do really is cause cuts and doctor stoppages instead of letting the fights well fight. If you got the guy on the ground, bash him with a punch or something. I know the elbows played the big finish in the KO for Cro Cop because you could see Cro Cop's eyes rolling by those elbows.

I love elbows, as long as you are using them to inflict damage toward a knockout and not intentionally try to cut someone. I hate ending fights on a technicality.

Quote Originally Posted by ess7477 View Post
    Any of you guys heard of or know anything about this Japanese fighter: Yushin Okami. This is the guy who beat Mike Swick at UFC 69. I think he's someone to keep on tha radar.
    I don't know much about him.

Anyone catch the fight on The Ultimate Fighter? I can't belive Wang is a black belt in (Jiu Jitsu I think they said) and he WOULD NOT try for a take down. He got so pwned.

All Weng wanted was respect, but it's hard to respect someone who fights like a moron. Go for the takedown already!

I only first heard of Okami when I watched UFC 69, but he looked like someone to watch.

Hey, how would you guys like to see Diego Sanchez vs. GSP for the right to a title shot? They're both coming off losses, and both are top contenders. The only problem is that Josh Koscheck should probably get a title shot before either of them. Plus I get the feeling that UFC doesn't like to put it's top contenders against each other too much, because that means one of them has to lose.

I hate elbows, all they do really is cause cuts and doctor stoppages instead of letting the fights well fight. If you got the guy on the ground, bash him with a punch or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    I hate ending fights on a technicality.
    Exactly, I think if the doctor stops the fight, then it should be a draw or something because the person didn't win, they were told they won.

I hope they create those new rules so we can finally see what kind of rules they will have etc.. That way everyone fights the same way and it doesn't matter what organization they are in. Although I like the ring better because if your too close to the ropes, they stop the fight and drag you back to the center of the ring. The cage just lets people use it as a blocker or grinder.

So other than that, what are your top 3 fighters in any organization. Which fighters do you look forward to fighting?

Mine are:

1. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic
    2. Kazushi Sakuraba
    3. Fedor Emelianenko
    4. Igor Vovchanchyn (I know I said 3 but I just like watching this guy fight)

Favourite MMA Fighters

Kazushi Sakuraba
    Igor Vovchanchyn
    Fedor Emelianenko

Evil Master of Warcraft
    So other than that, what are your top 3 fighters in any organization. Which fighters do you look forward to fighting?

Mine are:

1. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic
    2. Kazushi Sakuraba
    That's a tough question. I just love the sport so much. I love the above mentioned two. Sakuraba can do some amazing things. My personal martial arts background spawned from wrestling. So I'm proned to fighters who have great wreslting skills with ground and pound/submissions, but not totally BJJ. Old school fighters I still enjoy are fighters like Randy Couture. I'm not a fan of Matt Hughe's character, but I love his skill. I've also always been a big fan of Mark Coleman (I also noticed a misprint in an earlier post, I put Maurice Smith kicking Coleman in the face, but it was Pete Williams, my bad). Even as the sport evolves, I'll be a wrestler at heart. Newer blood I'm anxious to see fight is Koscheck, Bisping and Sean Sherk.

There is a guy I trained with back home named Jason Coomer. He is one bad dude. He has won the Gracie invitational tournament twice I think, and during one of the matches won by doing a flying armbar. After the match, I think it was Henzo Gracie came up to him and congradulated him and said "most amazing thing I ever seen". I'm hoping he'll get a chance someday in the UFC. It's all he does is train.

Any of you guys heard of or know anything about this Japanese fighter: Yushin Okami. This is the guy who beat Mike Swick at UFC 69. I think he's someone to keep on tha radar.

Pride FC Decade was a beautiful masterpiece. Although I wish they would have added the Cro Cop story.

But it just showed why Pride was better than UFC.

Favourite MMA Fighters

Kazushi Sakuraba
    Igor Vovchanchyn
    Fedor Emelianenko

Tuf 5

Can't believe we didn't even see a fight tonight. Good riddance to Gabe Rudiger...serves him right for coming in 20 lbs overweight. Like someone on the show said, there are so many hopeful fighters that would kill to be on that show to have a chance at the UFC and he just throws it away.

But next week we get 2 good fights...

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Joe Lauzon looked very impressive in that first fight. He took Brian to the cleaners. Emerson should have won his fight against Cory, but he fought the third round too defensive. Cory looked impressive considering that was his first MMA fight.

I didn't know Joe had knocked out Jens Pulver, that's crazy...

Another champion bites the dust. I don't know if anyone saw the Liddell vs Jackson fight for UFC 71 but it was a quick KO in the first. It might be just me but I thought Chuck was being too cautious...

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I was out of town didn't get to see it. I'm going to see if I can DL it on my 360. I'm not surprised though based on their first fight. I'm glad though, I was tired of Chuck pwning people.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Guess who is in Vegas for UFC 100! This is great. Went to randy coutures gym today and saw him. Talked with Forest also. Saw Maynard and a few others. UFC fan expo starts tomorrow and I am headed to that too. I also went by the training center, but it was all shut down
    Last edited by GeologyMule; July 10, 2009 at 01:32am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost