Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread (may contain spoilers)

Evil Master of Warcraft

The MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread (may contain spoilers)

I dunno, figured I'd throw this out there see if anyone is interested in discussion the goings on in the world of mixed martial arts...

Did anyone watch UFC 70 tonight? I'm glad I'm not a betting man or I would have lost all my money on Cro Cop. I think that's the hardest kick to the head since Maurice Smith kicked Mark Coleman. Bisping looked really impressive also. I'm anxious to see how Matt Serra and Matt Hughes work out as coaches on the next season of the Ultimate Fighter. What are your thoughts?
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Holy smizokes! Cro-Cop got devastated. These upsets are getting crazy. I wonder how Gonzaga will fare against Couture. Pretty good would be my guess.

Bisping was impressive, but I really don't understand why Sinosec still gets UFC fights. The guy has a losing record.

Most everything else was boring. Is Arlovski afraid to engage people now, or what? He was so boring. And Cheick Kongo had better learn how to grapple or he's going nowhere fast. That takedown defense was horrible.

Good idea BTW on starting an MMA thread. Every time I ever try to discuss MMA it seems to be a lonely thread, and I've been thinking that one thread for all MMA discussion would be a good idea, so hopefully all the MMA fans willl find this thread, and remember to check it out every time something new happens in MMA.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I think boxing is on its way out. It is a dieing sport. MMA is on its way in. I'd say in the near future you may even see MMA on sportscenter.

It was also neat last night to see all of the references to Pride on UFC 70 since UFC now owns Pride. They also kept hyping up the upcoming Liddell/Jackson fight saying it was the only fight Liddell hasn't avenged, but correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Liddell also lose to Wanderlei Silva?
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Very sad about the Cro Cop fight. I myself would have lost everything if I was a betting man.

In all my years of following MMA etc. I would have never guessed Cro Cop losing to Gonzaga at all whether Cro Cop won by KO/Sub/Decision

I never thought Cro Cop would have lost that way. Very bad for his career but I hope he comes back stronger than ever. I do think he needs a rematch with Gonzaga because if he doesn't than he might as well retire. And I hope he KO's Gonzaga.

I knew right from the get go that something was not right because Cro Cop never became the hunter. He usually waits and counters then stalks within the first minute but was taken down and elbowed. This time he was just way too worried about the take-down and paid the ultimate price.

Side note: I hate elbows, all they do really is cause cuts and doctor stoppages instead of letting the fights well fight. If you got the guy on the ground, bash him with a punch or something. I know the elbows played the big finish in the KO for Cro Cop because you could see Cro Cop's eyes rolling by those elbows.

Like I said earlier, I hope Cro Cop comes back and destroys all in his path. Hopefully gets a shot at the title and finishes his career off with a dream match with Fedor. I know I know, that last part with Fedor won't come true but I can wish
    PO-LAR is Royalt1us 3rd Annual Character Contest Grand Champion

---------------------------------
    Favourite MMA Fighters

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic
    Kazushi Sakuraba
    Igor Vovchanchyn
    Fedor Emelianenko

First Matt Serra and now Gonzaga! I honestly thought Cro Cop was going to put Gonzaga in a body bag. Only because I remember watching Gonzaga fight in UFC 56. He looked out of shape and very slow. Granted he won the match but that was my impression of him going into this fight. But I must admit, he looked a lot better physically and obviously it showed with his KO.

Now going up against Couture...I still have to go with my man, Randy. And I agree with the earlier comment about "The Pit Bull" Arlovski...very disappointing fight. But at least he knew it and apologized afterwards.

p.s. I couldn't believe Matt Serra talking smack about Matt Hughes when they announced that those 2 would be the next coaches. I think he should get some wins defending his title before dissing Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    I think boxing is on its way out. It is a dieing sport.
    Seems likely.
    I'd say in the near future you may even see MMA on sportscenter.
    Dana White said it will be, but I haven't seen it yet, and I'm starting to learn that you have to take anything Dana White says with a grain of salt.

It should be on Sportscenter though. I mean, they still cover soccer, and who really gives a crap about soccer?

didn't Liddell also lose to Wanderlei Silva?
    No, they never fought. Chuck was in a light heavyweight tourney in Pride, but he lost to Jackson in the semi's, and Jackson advanced to face Wanderlei. That was the time Wanderlei knocked Jackson out with a knee to the face (Wanderlei beat QJ twice). Sherdog.com's Fight Finder is an awesome resource for seeing who's beat who. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ess7477 View Post
    I think (Matt Serra) should get some wins defending his title before dissing Hughes.
    He probably won't have any successful title defenses with Hughes being his first fight as champ. Of course, he was never supposed to be champ in the first place, so you never know, but I'm still going with Matt Hughes all the way on that one.

Glad to see another MMA thread.

Wow, talk about speechless. I was more shocked this time around than the GSP/Serra fight. Coture saw something we all did not see to predict this fight. All I know is when this fight happens, I will be glued to the tube. I assume UFC 72 will also be free since they are fighting out of Ireland. Rampage is next to get an upset. I do not seeing happening but I have been wrong before.
    Insert Signature here....

Speechless doesnt come close....

The whole arena was in utter shock, (myself included) people standing everywhere wide eyed with hands on head...

I was in a great seat and all I can say was Dana White uttered more than one F bomb when it sank in Cro Cop was out.

He wasnt just out, he was motionless for nearly 5 minutes, a huge sigh of relief could be heard when he finally got to his feet..
    <=== Fedor Emelianenko - Greatest fighter on the planet

"I promise violence!" - Wanderlei Silva

Positive trades with:

Fbiagentcooper / Evil Orko x4 / Lsm316 / Wonder Bread He-Man / Patrick Bateman / Anthony / Bigdaddy51200 / Blindell / Bellamy / Heftysmurf76 / Jag2045 x2 / Tokyonever x2 / 80'Hemanfan / scare_glower / Buzz saw Hordak / Boggs32 / Eaglehost / Daviono1089

Dana was mad? I guess he would be. They've been spending all that money to promote Cro-Cop, and then he loses. Dana prob'ly get's mad every time something like that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    Dana was mad? I guess he would be. They've been spending all that money to promote Cro-Cop, and then he loses. Dana prob'ly get's mad every time something like that happens.

Spending money was an understatement...His contract was worth in the region of 10 million for a 6 fight deal and signing bonus...

Remember, to the uneducated people who watch on a casual basis, nobody knew who Cro Cop was..His first fights were tune up fights so people could see his striking skills in action and see him for the killer they were building him up as.. Before his eventual huge money showdown with the champion..

Gonzaga just threw a huge spanner into the money making works..
    <=== Fedor Emelianenko - Greatest fighter on the planet

"I promise violence!" - Wanderlei Silva

Positive trades with:

Fbiagentcooper / Evil Orko x4 / Lsm316 / Wonder Bread He-Man / Patrick Bateman / Anthony / Bigdaddy51200 / Blindell / Bellamy / Heftysmurf76 / Jag2045 x2 / Tokyonever x2 / 80'Hemanfan / scare_glower / Buzz saw Hordak / Boggs32 / Eaglehost / Daviono1089

Quote Originally Posted by Vess View Post
    Spending money was an understatement...His contract was worth in the region of 10 million for a 6 fight deal and signing bonus...
    I wonder if there was a clause in his contract stating that if he lost one of those 6 matches...he gets nothing

Just watched the encore presentation of UFC 70 last night. Did you guys see Cro Cop's ankle when he crumpled? I'm surprised it didn't snap in two when he fell at that angle.

Dana White hates when his 'boys' lose. He got mad when Matt Hughes lost, Diego Sanchez and even when GSP lost and now Cro Cop. He is a business man and all he was doing is seeing in the future. All these big money making fights he envisioned popped! I like it, right now UFC is is so unpredectible which is a huge differance from WWE (I know it is not the same but I mean as a program and what it offers). Fight I cannot wait to see are:

Rashad Evans vs Tito
    Coture vs. Gonzaga
    Arvloski vs winner of the above
    Cro Cop vs Tim 'Sloth' Silvia
    GSP vs the winner of Serra/Hughes
    Bj Penn vs 'Little Evil'

Good year to be a UFC fan.

Silent Master Jerico the warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ORKO View Post
    Fight I cannot wait to see are:

Rashad Evans vs Tito
    Coture vs. Gonzaga
    Bj Penn vs 'Little Evil'

Good year to be a UFC fan.
    What? No Liddell vs. Jackson?

I want to see Liddell crush Rampage.
    Rampage was extremely humble after his UFC 67 victory. He was talking about how he isn’t ready for The Iceman and wanted a few more fights. Now he fighting for the title against Chuck? I am not surprised but it still rubs me a little raw.
    If I advance, follow me.
    If I stop, urge me forward.
    If I retreat, kill me.

speaking from atop a pile of fatally wounded warriors

Quote Originally Posted by Jerico the warrior View Post
    What? No Liddell vs. Jackson?

I want to see Liddell crush Rampage.
    Rampage was extremely humble after his UFC 67 victory. He was talking about how he isn’t ready for The Iceman and wanted a few more fights. Now he fighting for the title against Chuck? I am not surprised but it still rubs me a little raw.
    Believe me when I say that Rampage DOES/Needs more fights. This fight is thanks to Dana White and his knowledge that this PPV eill rank in money. I do not think Rampage is ready for Chuck. The Chuck he fought in Pride is not the same guy nor is Rampage the same person. But the way UFC is unfolding an upset may indeed happen. Yes, Rampage beating Chuck is an upset even though Rampage is 1-0 against the Ice

*Possible rumor for UFC 73 is Koscheck (sp?) vs GSP, winner fights winner of Serra and Hughes. Headlined by Coture vs Gonzaga.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I think the Coture vs Gonzaga fight might be one of the biggest fights in a while. I knew Randy would wipe the floor with Tim Silvia, but Gonzaga is a big old boy and he seems to know his stuff. I think Randy can do it but he will have his hands full. Then I think the winner of the fight (probably Randy), will then wipe the cage with Arvloski. I'd like to see a few of the old school fighters, minus Shamrock and Gracie get back in the cage like Goodrich, Coleman, Severn and Frye. See how THOSE guys can hold up against some of the newer blood.

I don't see anyone, other than Randy, being able to beat Chuck. Tito gave it his all last fight but just couldn't pull it off. Everyone is afraid of his flurry of punches....and they should be.

I think Serra's title reign will be short lived and we will be seeing a lot of Huhes, GSP, Serra fights/rematches for a while that will probably get to be boring.

Yes, Cro Cop's ankle being twisted around made everyone in my apt. cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by ORKO View Post

Rashad Evans vs Tito
    Coture vs. Gonzaga
    Bj Penn vs 'Little Evil'
    All of those (and Rampage V. Liddell) are exciting fights, except maybe Arlovski in a title shot, because Arlovski seems to have become too tentative. Like he's afraid to fight, or something. Hopefully the other guy (Couture, or Gonzaga) will take the fight to him, and make it interesting.

And who is Nogueira going to fight?

Now for everybody's predictions. I'll go first .

Rashad
    Couture
    Couture
    Cro Cop (is that one official? I hope so)
    Too close to call (Hughes will beat Serra)
    BJ
    Liddell

I guess my picks won't be too controversial, except for Rashad over Tito.

GSP vs. Hughes is the one I really wanna see. St. Pierre already proved that Hughes can't handle his stand-up, so if Matt's smart enough to try to take it to the ground, will he be able too? And will he be able to capitalize? Very interesting.

Any of you guys heard of or know anything about this Japanese fighter: Yushin Okami. This is the guy who beat Mike Swick at UFC 69. I think he's someone to keep on tha radar.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelostas View Post
    Side note: I hate elbows, all they do really is cause cuts and doctor stoppages instead of letting the fights well fight. If you got the guy on the ground, bash him with a punch or something. I know the elbows played the big finish in the KO for Cro Cop because you could see Cro Cop's eyes rolling by those elbows.

I love elbows, as long as you are using them to inflict damage toward a knockout and not intentionally try to cut someone. I hate ending fights on a technicality.

Quote Originally Posted by ess7477 View Post
    Any of you guys heard of or know anything about this Japanese fighter: Yushin Okami. This is the guy who beat Mike Swick at UFC 69. I think he's someone to keep on tha radar.
    I don't know much about him.

Anyone catch the fight on The Ultimate Fighter? I can't belive Wang is a black belt in (Jiu Jitsu I think they said) and he WOULD NOT try for a take down. He got so pwned.

All Weng wanted was respect, but it's hard to respect someone who fights like a moron. Go for the takedown already!

I only first heard of Okami when I watched UFC 69, but he looked like someone to watch.

Hey, how would you guys like to see Diego Sanchez vs. GSP for the right to a title shot? They're both coming off losses, and both are top contenders. The only problem is that Josh Koscheck should probably get a title shot before either of them. Plus I get the feeling that UFC doesn't like to put it's top contenders against each other too much, because that means one of them has to lose.

I hate elbows, all they do really is cause cuts and doctor stoppages instead of letting the fights well fight. If you got the guy on the ground, bash him with a punch or something.
    I hate ending fights on a technicality.
    Exactly, I think if the doctor stops the fight, then it should be a draw or something because the person didn't win, they were told they won.

I hope they create those new rules so we can finally see what kind of rules they will have etc.. That way everyone fights the same way and it doesn't matter what organization they are in. Although I like the ring better because if your too close to the ropes, they stop the fight and drag you back to the center of the ring. The cage just lets people use it as a blocker or grinder.

So other than that, what are your top 3 fighters in any organization. Which fighters do you look forward to fighting?

Mine are:

1. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic
    2. Kazushi Sakuraba
    3. Fedor Emelianenko
    4. Igor Vovchanchyn (I know I said 3 but I just like watching this guy fight)

Favourite MMA Fighters

Kazushi Sakuraba
    Igor Vovchanchyn
    Fedor Emelianenko

Evil Master of Warcraft
    So other than that, what are your top 3 fighters in any organization. Which fighters do you look forward to fighting?

Mine are:

1. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic
    2. Kazushi Sakuraba
    That's a tough question. I just love the sport so much. I love the above mentioned two. Sakuraba can do some amazing things. My personal martial arts background spawned from wrestling. So I'm proned to fighters who have great wreslting skills with ground and pound/submissions, but not totally BJJ. Old school fighters I still enjoy are fighters like Randy Couture. I'm not a fan of Matt Hughe's character, but I love his skill. I've also always been a big fan of Mark Coleman (I also noticed a misprint in an earlier post, I put Maurice Smith kicking Coleman in the face, but it was Pete Williams, my bad). Even as the sport evolves, I'll be a wrestler at heart. Newer blood I'm anxious to see fight is Koscheck, Bisping and Sean Sherk.

There is a guy I trained with back home named Jason Coomer. He is one bad dude. He has won the Gracie invitational tournament twice I think, and during one of the matches won by doing a flying armbar. After the match, I think it was Henzo Gracie came up to him and congradulated him and said "most amazing thing I ever seen". I'm hoping he'll get a chance someday in the UFC. It's all he does is train.

I'm not a fan of Matt Hughe's character, but I love his skill.
    I think Matt Hughes is a good fighter and stuff but I'm with you on that. Some reason I just don't like him. Maybe because he's a poster boy? Dunno why really. When Hughes was fighting Royce Gracie I was actually rooting for Royce because I just wanted Hughes to lose I guess.

I think Sakuraba could take Hughes even now. He's just got slick finishers and Hughes isn't a superstriker, he relies on his wrestling where Sakuraba likes to counter wrestlers. Would be a good fight but only if it was in Pride as UFC refs would stop the fight early. (Although Sakuraba's fight against Smirnova should have been stopped sooner) Gotta give Sakuraba credit though because he pulled off that win with a will to win.

Mark Coleman I was never a huge fan of because of his lack of cardio and other trainings. Coleman and Randleman have the strength and wrestling but they need to train harder on their striking skills. I would love to see Josh Barnett fight Mark Coleman & Kevin Randleman. Those would be some good fights, I think Barnett would take the win in both matches though.

Another fight I would like to see is the rubber match between Barnett and Big Nog. I think both fights should have been split decisions but hey I won't argue too much as they put on good fights.

Um, I think I will stop there because I could go on and on about fights I would like to see.

Favourite MMA Fighters

Kazushi Sakuraba
    Igor Vovchanchyn
    Fedor Emelianenko

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I think Matt Hughes is a good fighter and stuff but I'm with you on that. Some reason I just don't like him. Maybe because he's a poster boy? Dunno why really. When Hughes was fighting Royce Gracie I was actually rooting for Royce because I just wanted Hughes to lose I guess.
    The one thing I love about Hughes which I'm amazed not a lot of other people do, he will pin you down, imobilize your blocking arms, THEN pound on you. That's what I'd do.

Pride FC Decade was a beautiful masterpiece. Although I wish they would have added the Cro Cop story.

But it just showed why Pride was better than UFC.

Favourite MMA Fighters

Kazushi Sakuraba
    Igor Vovchanchyn
    Fedor Emelianenko

Tuf 5

Can't believe we didn't even see a fight tonight. Good riddance to Gabe Rudiger...serves him right for coming in 20 lbs overweight. Like someone on the show said, there are so many hopeful fighters that would kill to be on that show to have a chance at the UFC and he just throws it away.

But next week we get 2 good fights...