Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread (may contain spoilers)

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Joe Lauzon looked very impressive in that first fight. He took Brian to the cleaners. Emerson should have won his fight against Cory, but he fought the third round too defensive. Cory looked impressive considering that was his first MMA fight.

I didn't know Joe had knocked out Jens Pulver, that's crazy...
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Another champion bites the dust. I don't know if anyone saw the Liddell vs Jackson fight for UFC 71 but it was a quick KO in the first. It might be just me but I thought Chuck was being too cautious...

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I was out of town didn't get to see it. I'm going to see if I can DL it on my 360. I'm not surprised though based on their first fight. I'm glad though, I was tired of Chuck pwning people.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

I don't know if Chuck was being too cautious. He's always been a counterpuncher, so that's just his style. His lack of caution may actually be what cost him the fight. Rampage was smart enough to know better than to come after Chuck, and he kind of baited Chuck into being more of the agressor, at least that's what happened in the exchange that got Chuck knocked out.

What about Houston Alexander beating the snot out of Keith Jardine? Devastating!

Silent Master Jerico the warrior's Avatar
    I wouldn’t say Chuck was being too cautious. In my opinion, he looked scared from the moment the fight started. It wasn’t the same Chuck. I even said “Oh No” the second Big John started the fight.

I hate Rampage.

The Dean of Mean was taken to school! Face first with his mouth piece flopping on the mat.
    If I advance, follow me.
    If I stop, urge me forward.
    If I retreat, kill me.

speaking from atop a pile of fatally wounded warriors

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I heard people on other forums saying that the fight was stopped to early. I finally watched it and I think it was stopped just fine. Roomie's/brother agree. What do you all think?

I think Big Jon stopped it at the right time. There was nothing Chuck was going to do with Rampage on him like that and Chuck pretty much out of it in his back. To me, Chuck has just been a "lucky punch" champion. I have not really seen him do anything other than get in his one lucky punch. I like Chuck, but I think it was time to see a fighter that was more fun to watch. Rampage has a fun personality too.

Silent Master Jerico the warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    I heard people on other forums saying that the fight was stopped to early. I finally watched it and I think it was stopped just fine. Roomie's/brother agree. What do you all think?
    The fight was stopped just in time. Chuck went down and Rampage started the pounding. Chuck had his knees pulled up trying to defend himself. Rampage kept pounding him and then Chuck went limp. Legs and arms straight out. It was a perfect stop.
    If I advance, follow me.
    If I stop, urge me forward.
    If I retreat, kill me.

speaking from atop a pile of fatally wounded warriors

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Binx4life View Post
    To me, Chuck has just been a "lucky punch" champion. I have not really seen him do anything other than get in his one lucky punch.
    I see so much truth in that statement. However, his one lucky punch is followed by a flurry of four or five.

I see so much truth in that statement. However, his one lucky punch is followed by a flurry of four or five.
    That is also true, but I was getting bored watching him, and he found out that he can't keep winning in that manner. Rampage taught him that.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Binx4life View Post
    That is also true, but I was getting bored watching him, and he found out that he can't keep winning in that manner. Rampage taught him that.
    I was however impressed with the Tito/Liddell fight (most recent). To me it seemed Tito was on top of his game, but he just couldn't penetrate Liddell's defense. So, by Jackson beating Liddell like he did makes me question Tito's true skill.

I was however impressed with the Tito/Liddell fight (most recent). To me it seemed Tito was on top of his game, but he just couldn't penetrate Liddell's defense. So, by Jackson beating Liddell like he did makes me question Tito's true skill.
    Tito has been less impressive as of late to me. His upcoming fight with Rashad Evans will be interesting. I like Rashad, but he lacks that killer instinct that I think Tito has. It will either go to the judges, or Tito will submit Rashad. But, I don't think that Rashad will submit Tito. He has a punchers chance though. If I was betting my money, I would bet on Tito, because he has more experience fighting tougher opponents.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Here is a neat little article/photo shoot CNN/Sports Illustrated did on UFC fighters

Click here

Not sure how long link will remain active?

I think Chuck new this was not an easy walk in the park and got caught. Bottom line is that Rampage has Chuck's number, like Chuck has Tito and Tito has Ken's. Once 'Shogun' comes in all hell will break loose. Gotta love the UFC right now!!
    Insert Signature here....

Quote Originally Posted by ORKO View Post
    I think Chuck new this was not an easy walk in the park and got caught. Bottom line is that Rampage has Chuck's number, like Chuck has Tito and Tito has Ken's. Once 'Shogun' comes in all hell will break loose. Gotta love the UFC right now!!
    Who is Shogun? Is he a Japanese fighter?

Quote Originally Posted by ess7477 View Post
    Who is Shogun? Is he a Japanese fighter?
    Go to Youtube and look up Shogun vs Rampage.
    Insert Signature here....

The stoppage was perfect. Chuck had his hands down, and wasn't defending.

You can't really say that Chuck is a "lucky punch" fighter, when he knocks out everyone he fights. You don't get 7 KO's in a row all on luck. The guy was considered one of the best pound for pound, he gets knocked out one time, and now he wasn't that good in the first place? I don't think so.

Shogun Rua is one of the best light heavyweight's in the world, but he's been fighting in Pride FC.

Watched the marathon of TUF last night. I originally missed the episode where Noah and Marlon (I think) got into it at the house. Holy moly, what a street fight. Cheap shots all around and I agreed with everything Dana said the following day.

Can't wait for the finale between Little Evil vs The Prodigy! Gotta love those grudge matches...hopefully it'll be better than Shamrock vs Ortiz.

Quote Originally Posted by ess7477 View Post
    I agreed with everything Dana said the following day.
    LOL I thought it was pretty funny that Dana was pretending to be ****ed. If he was so worried about representing MMA as a more civilized sport than they would have edited the fight out.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    LOL I thought it was pretty funny that Dana was pretending to be ****ed. If he was so worried about representing MMA as a more civilized sport than they would have edited the fight out.
    Well, A) It probably helped the ratings of the show...so he couldn't have been too mad. B) HE used them as martyrs to show the world that fighters should not act that way, and to up the reputation of the sport. Every sport has their screwoffs.

Well, A) It probably helped the ratings of the show...so he couldn't have been too mad. B) HE used them as martyrs to show the world that fighters should not act that way, and to up the reputation of the sport. Every sport has their screwoffs.
    Exactly. You can't edit that stuff, because it's great TV, but he had to throw them under the bus for appearances. I just think that's funny. He yelled, and acted all mad, but when he watched the tape he prob'ly got a woody just thinking about how great it was gonna be for ratings.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Did anyone see Brock Lesnar fight? I've been trying to watch it but with no luck. Apparently he won in about a minute. That's all I've been able to find out. He has tremendous wrestling skills and he's built like a greek god. With proper MMA training he COULD be a force to be wreckoned with.

Did anyone see Brock Lesnar fight? I've been trying to watch it but with no luck. Apparently he won in about a minute. That's all I've been able to find out. He has tremendous wrestling skills and he's built like a greek god. With proper MMA training he COULD be a force to be wreckoned with.
    I wanted to see that fight too, but I wasn't able to. I also think Brock could be huge in MMA. Right now I am only watching UFC and a little Pride when I see it on as I am flipping though the channels. I would like to see a fight with Brock in it though.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Wow, what a finale! Maynard/Emerson...that was crazy! I'm not sure if Maynard was out cold, but he was definatly rocked hard! Manny's shoulder popping out...his career is basically over. My brother popped his shoulder out playing football, then again in wrestling. He had to get a 4 in. screw put in and it's limited him ever since. Once that shoulder pops out it will just keep on popping out.

Sucks that Jens lost, I was really pulling for him. B.J. was really on top of his game...speaking of which, I need to go now to bjpenn.com and see what he was talking about....

Maynard was knocked all the way out. If you look at his toes they are curling up, and his legs are stiff. He was so KTFO'ed.

I thought the same thing about Manny. You can't keep fighting if your shoulder's gonna pop out every time.

BJPenn.com is crashed right now.