Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WAR-TIGER... Faker's Fighting Feline!!!

WAR-TIGER... Faker's Fighting Feline!!!

My previous fan characters, Trakka, Rayn-Ja, Mekorset, and Starburst were all created for re-design challenges. My version of Stridor, could certainly be considered a fan character, but he too was created for a re-design challenge. Malbino was a fully formed character in my head, but the motivation to actually complete his illustration was for the sake of yet another challenge. But today's offering was created by me, without any outside prompting whatsoever:

War-Tiger is, of course, just a re-color and slight tweaking of He-Man's fearless friend, Battle Cat. After I decided to give Faker a similar pet, natural colors seemed like a fitting contrast to Battle Cat's outlandish pelt. I'm satisfied with the overall results of this illustration--particularly with the way War-Tiger's color scheme matches Faker (see my version here, if you missed it). Sometime after I came up with this idea, I came across a picture of a bootleg (heh) He-Man toy that came with a yellow tiger Battle Cat in red armor--a picture of the item in question is linked in this post. Eventually I'm going to have to come up with a name and backstory for that version too!

PROFILE: WAR-TIGER is a terran tiger of unusual size, power, and intelligence, as a result of specially prepared treatments administered to him by Skeletor himself. He and Faker apparently share a limited psychic bond, which Skeletor and Evil-Lyn can find no explanation for. Unlike Battle Cat, War-Tiger cannot speak, though it is clear that he can understand Faker's commands.

HISTORY: When Skeletor's inner circle travelled to Earth in an attempted negotiation with Carnivor's Aracnos forces, Faker was separated from his party, and stumbled across an orphaned tiger cub. Faker found his way back to his allies, but the negotiations went poorly, and all-out hostilities were narrowly averted. However, Faker's skill in combat and empathy for his newfound pet earned the deep respect of Felinor, General of the Aracnos Earth division. Since being brought to Eternia, War-Tiger has been raised to adulthood by Faker, and the pair has clashed several times with Battle Cat and He-Man.

Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

love it!!!

simple, but effective...

yet, another reason i NEED a bigger pressure pot to make battlecats...

MAYBE make the stripes dark red(like faker's hair) or purple(like his waist) to add to the garrishness and bring him a bit away from the earth tiger...stripes change via magic...
    Last edited by skeletoncrew; April 27, 2007 at 01:40am.

Movie mayhem!
    Awsome, great job again. I really like his bio! Would love to see you do battle cat after seeing this!

They're gggggggggggggreat! I mean it's great Just saw the orange tiger with a blue nose and thought Tony the tiger went to the gym! Yeah maybe change the stripes color, to give it an alien feel, like light blue stripes with the navy armor. Looks cool man, keep it up.
    Last edited by jasonwulf; April 27, 2007 at 03:17am. Reason: revision

A big fan of Slush Head
    This is fantastic Bootleg. Love everything about it.
    How about if you draw some Fuerza-T stuff?

Nice one brudda!!!

Its a good idea. I always felt Faker lacked a steed. I agree with Skeletoncrew, he is a little close to a normal Earth tiger, and it needs a little something to push him to the MOTU edge What colour is Battle Cat if you invert the colours in photoshop. Only think this as its the kind of thing they did with the new comic, I think.

I think he needs a helemt like Battlecat too, just so he's a proper evil counterpart
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Amazine piece of art bootleg im agreed with smb maybe other colors would worked better(now they make him look like a common tiger no offence) perhaps another version of war-tiger with other colors.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    A great idea.

One variant colouring scheme you might consider, is with a burnt red sort of fur, in keeping with the vintage Faker's hair.

I also like how the name 'War Tiger' is a (sort of) reverse of 'Battle Cat'.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Makes me want to go track down a Big Jim tiger now

Great redition, and sweet ties to F-T

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Powers of Preternia Podcast Video Series
    http://www.youtube.com/user/destrong...s?feature=mhum

Nice work! would make a great custom!

Chris

thats looks pretty good. Your mention of a yellow bootleg battlecat reminded me that i used to have a red bootleg (or so i assume) panthor.

Real nice character design here Bootleg, you continue to impress, and I have to say you did a superb job with War-Tiger's stripes, realistic.. yet still fits your style.
    It's nice that you challenged yourself & took on a non-humaniod character as well as added a backstory, I'm sure many of the He-fans will love your newest addition to the expanded universe fandom of characters! Keep it up!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 3.31.17!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Very nice design! I like it a lot.
    The former Glass Shrimp also known as See-Shell

Great stuff Bootleg!
    I really dig your style.

thanks for looking, and thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone! as for the stripes, my reason for choosing the mundane color scheme was basically--
    • he-man = normal colored guy with garish cat
    • faker = garish colored guy with normal colored cat

it made sense to me anyways. i'm thinking though, that maybe when war-tiger is 'powered up' he might change color.

skeletoncrew: thanks man! i know COTU has already revealed anti-cat, but i can't wait to see what else you guys have up your collective sleeve!
    Patreek: thanks dude! battle cat (and panthor, naturally) are in the pipeline. actually, i'll move battle cat up the queue--i've been neglecting the heroic side lately!
    jasonwulf: LOL, thanks man--believe it or not, the blue nose was actually a conscious nod to tony the tiger!
    Mike Bock: thanks! which of the F-T guys would you like to see moved up the queue? i've only drawn felinor so far.
    super-munkyboy: i appreciate it dude! i think an inverted battle cat would have something like red fur, purple stripes, and green armor. i'm not to keen on the straight-up inversion, but i like the helmet idea... maybe a unique helmet though--i think of battle cat's armor as being special because it's magical, and obviously we never see the helmet knocked off (at least not in the classic version). for war-tiger i see his helmet always getting knocked off and dinged up in battle. sort of like how spider-man's mask always gets half ripped off.
    Galvatron: thank you, and no offense taken... especially since war-tiger is a normal earth tiger... albeit with magical enhancements!
    Spacedust: thanks man, glad you like the name. and i like the idea of a deeper redder fur, maybe for his 'powered up' mode.
    DestrongerLupus: thank you--for those who've been following along, i'm gradually trying to elucidate the connections between my characters in my interpretation of the motu universe. not quite big jim, but you know what might fit in perfectly with the 200x toys--i saw some pics of an upcoming gi joe sigma six set that comes with a tiger--the angular style of sigma six is a good match!
    chrisbryan: thanks! anyone who'd like to make a custom of this (or any of my other fan-chars) is more than welcome to!
    wolf-manj: thanks dude. ooh... was this red panthor flocked? sounds like a sharp looking bootleg... panthor: red velvet power up? darnit, i'm gonna have to come up with something for this guy too.
    JafariStew: i'm dumbfounded... thank you so much, man! i really appreciate the kind words.
    Glass Shrimp: thanks buddy!
    J-Sun: very kind of you to say--thank you!

A big fan of Slush Head
    Tekno man, give us Tekno please!

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    my reason for choosing the mundane color scheme was basically--
    • he-man = normal colored guy with garish cat
    • faker = garish colored guy with normal colored cat

it made sense to me anyways.
    actually, that is pretty decent logic, shows that is was well thought out and playing upon the juxtapositions and outlandishness that exist within MOTU quite well, but...

i'm thinking though, that maybe when war-tiger is 'powered up' he might change color.
    ...i sense a variant...

chrisbryan: thanks! anyone who'd like to make a custom of this (or any of my other fan-chars) is more than welcome to!
    yes, give this a shot...and let us know how to do the stripes...

wolf-manj: thanks dude. ooh... was this red panthor flocked? sounds like a sharp looking bootleg... panthor: red velvet power up? darnit, i'm gonna have to come up with something for this guy too.
    hmmm...that makes me wonder, theorectically speaking if you could have a flocked panthor in any color, what color would you MOST like to have...???

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    Tekno man, give us Tekno please!
    yeah, that's a good Fuerza choice...

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    i love the use of the bigjim tiger. nd the xplanation behind the idea but i keep getting the name copycat. i know it sounds plain and obvious but then again so is faker but love it all the way around

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

I like the name copy cat. I think I would use a burnt orange and make the stripes black. I just need another battle cat or panthor.

Chris

Great drawing! I get what you are trying to do with the colors, but he looks a little too natural. What if you made him just a _little_ bit more Eternian by changing his black stripes to navy blue--or something like that?

Again, fantastic drawing! I love your work and I hope you keep posting forever so I have eye-candy to enjoy!

Evil Henchman of Hordak Louis649's Avatar
    War-Tiger is a great design for a Faker's transport beast. I would like to see in your future works a couple of drawings of War-Tiger with Faker in different angles posing both alone and battling He-man and the heroic warriors.
    I'm Skeletor, master of evil! All of you should show respect for the awful one.

I am Grizzlor #1 fan!

Fright Zone (Etheria): Prisoner of the Horde
    I ABSOLUTELY love it!!!! It's very battlecat-ish and very non battlecat-ish at the same time, as one of you said.."simple but effective"!!!
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    A.Einstein

A big fan of Slush Head
    I like the name proposal from GW. Copy Ca sounds very cool and MOTUish.

my apologies for taking so long to respond to my own thread--work has been insane!

Mike Bock: you got it, man! *moves tekno up queue*
    skeletoncrew: like i said in one of the anti-eternia threads, i'd like to see anti-panthor in black, with a white saddle!
    galaxy warrior: thanks man. copycat is actually a really good idea for a name, though i don't think i'll be changing this guy's name... but since so many battlecat/panthor variants and bootlegs have been discussed, i think i will find a home for the copycat name.
    chrisbryan: awesome! somebody get this guy a spare battlecat, stat!
    osgood: wow, thank you so much! that's mighty high praise from someone who regularly kicks ass in the redesign challenges! well... back when we had redesign challenges. i hope Predabot gets those going again soon!
    Louis649: thank you! i do hope to get around to some action scenes eventually, though i want to get more characters under my belt first!
    mermaidliz: i really appreciate that! thanks!

thanks again for your comments and crits everyone--i really appreciate it!

A big fan of Slush Head
    Mike Bock: you got it, man! *moves tekno up queue*
    Cool!! I'll be looking forward to it.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!