Warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 51

Warning: Only variables should be passed by reference in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(561) : eval()'d code on line 51

MOTU Beast Man vintage figure review thread

View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage Beast Man figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

1 1.27%
  • 2 points

1 1.27%
  • 3 points

0 0%
  • 4 points

2 2.53%
  • 5 points

2 2.53%
  • 6 points

3 3.80%
  • 7 points

16 20.25%
  • 8 points

23 29.11%
  • 9 points

8 10.13%
  • 10 points

23 29.11%

Thread: Beast Man vintage figure review thread

Hybrid View

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Beast Man vintage figure review thread

Last week's vintage figure review thread Man-At-Arms was the quietest one to date; maybe Matt at x-entertainment is right that Man-At-Arms is a bit too lame for anyone to really care about.

Well, maybe this week's thread will see a return to usual form. Last week it was MAA, the original side-kick of He-Man; so this week it's turn to look at Skeletor's original henchman, the ferocious, the savage... BEAST MAN.

I'm slightly ashamed to say, I never originally had a Beast Man figure. I started to save up for him many times, but never got around to buying him.
    I remember in the late 1980s, when the line had just about finished and very few stores still stocked MOTU, with a few end-of-line remnants at most, going with my Mum into a department store in a High Street we didn't often visit, and seeing both Beast Man and Evil-Lyn as old stock being sold off at dirt cheap prices. I tried and begged my Mum to buy me one, but she wasn't having any of it. As it wasn't a shop we frequented, I never saw them again.

Of course, I have collected multiple examples of every figure; Beast Man is one of the most common second-hand finds, so I have got many examples of him. Although not a variant as such, the face markings can be found to vary in detail and accuracy on some figures. I have also found the green belt to vary very slightly in depth. I have still yet to acquire a hard head version though.

The thing I really like about the figure is the bright, bold colours. Face-wise it looked a bit like Beasty was in mid-song, but it wasn't bad at all. I liked his feral chest dress / armor; his arm armor was okay but was a little clunky and bulky, and hard to pose well. It's interesting to note that, with his chest armor, left and right arm armor, and whip, the figure had four accessories, as did the other three original figures.

The Weapons Pak came with yellow versions of Beast Man's chest and arm armor; and as a result, a number of second hand BM figures can be found incorrectly wearing these yellow versions.
    And, of course, the whole body and head of Beast Man was later recycled for Moss Man.

In the mini-comics and other material, Beast Man was nearly always present as Skeletor's right-hand man.
    This continued as he was one of Skeletor's most regular warriors in the Filmation cartoon series. He was presented as one of Skelly's dumbest henchmen (and they were all pretty dopey); in early appearances he occasionally showed plans to one day overthrow Skeletor, but these faded as the series progressed.
    Although a regular throughout the show's run, in a number of second season episodes Beast Man was replaced as Skeletor's right-hand man by some newer characters (Clawful, Whiplash, Two Bad, etc.), very much due to whichever new figure was being pushed at the time.

Other than Skeletor and Evil-Lyn, Beast Man was the only existing Evil Warrior to appear in the 1987 movie - the other three of his squad (Blade, Saurod and Karg) all being new creations. Although clearly feral and savage, the movie version Beast Man only had a distant resemblance to his original appearance.

Beastie was given a good revamp for the 200x update. As many have commented, the figure felt like a huge chunk of plastic. As I have mentioned on other threads, it is rumored that originally the Four Horsemen had planned to give the figure a 'roaring' sound effect, but this was dropped, presumably due to production budgets. Either way, the final figure was very good, and I liked his arm swinging feature - the only thing I would say that they swung the wrong way, as it is awkward when you are holding the figure, and they would have looked better swinging upwards. The colours were good, but as with many 200x figures, were dulled down, and the originals bold red armor was replaced with a dark brown. Of the (rather pointless IMO) colour variants, I would have liked to have seen a Beast Man variant with the colour scheme of the vintage figure. Oh, and on this revamp, as well as the chest dress simply fitting over the figure's head, the arm armor was this time molded on.
    In the Mike Young Productions cartoon, Beast Man was often present, and given so-so treatment. He also flew around on flying beasts that he controlled. I prefer the Filmation version of the character though.

Beast Man is a great character, and one of the core characters of the original premise. In terms of the vintage figure, while it was typical of the very early releases, it was very basic in that used many standard parts (the body is the same as Stratos) and with the standard twist-waist feature. But as with the early figures, it excelled in character. I give the vintage figure a reasonable 8 out of 10.

So there is my weekly ramble.
    I'd really like to hear your thoughts, comments, criticisms, memories, ideas for improvement, and anything else Beast Man-related. And whether you post or not, don't forget to rate the vintage figure in the poll!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Beastman is one of my fave vintage figures. I think the bright colours is what's so cool about him and his face which just looks really beast-like and evil. I didn't get a Beastman figure until the end of the line (maybe 1987/1988) I remember Beastman and some of the main characters were re-stocked when the movie came out. I think the accesories which came with Beastman were great, I really liked the shoulder pads and the whip.

I also like the 4HM figure to, but I would have liked the classic colours one to be the main one used. I did like his portayal in the MYP cartoon more than the filmation one, who was just annoying and dont get me started on the boots!

I hope the 4HM release a staction of Beastman in classic colours of course and in the correct size.

Figure Rating - 9/10

I gave it a 10 because for one he was always my favorite character, and two he looked exactly like the original barbarian style version they drew in the first mini comics. Had they gone with boots, or a more humanized face it just wasn't the same. Regardless of what we know about him, this figure in every way embodies a "beast" man.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwulf View Post
    I gave it a 10 because for one he was always my favorite character, and two he looked exactly like the original barbarian style version they drew in the first mini comics. Had they gone with boots, or a more humanized face it just wasn't the same. Regardless of what we know about him, this figure in every way embodies a "beast" man.
    Although in some of the second wave (D.C.) comics they did play around with drawing him though (though he still looked cool). I agree though, he definately lookes like a "beast man". In terms of character, he is on of the key ones in MOTU.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Heroic Warrior
    I give him 7/10. I donīt like the characther very much because he is shown as a complete idiot. But the idea of controlling animals is fantastic.
    The figure has very bright colours and a whip, very cool weapon. And his face is awesome, very wild and a savage. The yellow armour of the Weapon Pack is a good idea considering that this figure has no variants.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkan View Post
    I give him 7/10. I donīt like the characther very much because he is shown as a complete idiot. But the idea of controlling animals is fantastic.
    Although he was never over-bright, the "complete idiot" thing is very much Filmation's doing, as was rather typical with them; Although in a couple of his earliest appearances, Beast Man was shown as a bit more sly, even planning to one-day over-throw Skeletor. But in some of the earlier comics, he was shown more as more savage than out-and-out stupid. I would have liked to have seen this version more in the MYP cartoon series.
    ~jay firestorm~